Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

After seeing Zhu Yi Long’s great performance and being promoted so much by drama as second male lead, I felt bad that he took this QH’s role as for (1) not as many scenes being second male lead should have (2) have been written like as a character a lot of people are calling weak, wet-blanket, no backbone, selfish, inconsiderate (though I do not agree and only think he has been sheltered too much and naive) (3) no character growth 

Spoiler

From preview/trailer that shows his meeting with ML after her marriage with GTY, I’m getting really upset that “QH told her he loves her more than GTY as he dreams of her every night and she is in his heart all the time. ML responded by saying we both are married and no need to talk about the past.” Their conversation was seen by GTY. If this scene is going to happen, this is really character assassination of QH. You loved someone dearly but continued declaring your love to her after she got married (I don’t know QH gets married to his second wife or not). Imo, at that point, most audience will hate or even feel disgust with this character. I understand writers want to put in scenes for him as QH became pretty much non-existence in the book after 55 chapters, this is very unfair. That’s why I said above no character growth. In the drama, QH became just love-sick dellutional guy. 

I don’t know why ZYL accepted this QH role. Even in 2014, he was not popular yet but his second lead role in “love three life,” he got pretty much equal screen times throughout the drama though his character is pretty flawed and suffered one-sided love. (May be he worked with ZLY in a movie before and she invited him for this drama?) 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, mooose said:

QH's mother sat on the fence for too long regarding his marriage. If you don't make a choice, it will be made for you. She could have married him off to a neutral family. She is just as guilty of overeaching as Concubine Lin. The Qi household was not that wealthy or powerful anymore but she went around putting on airs.

If she chose another neutral family, she will still offend to both Yong Wang Fei and Long Fei anyways as both Jiachen princess and Long Fei Yei were completely in love with QH, isn’t it? Even both families might harm the girl from this neutral family, no? They both already hate ML due to Polo game, especially LFY. If QH were to marry any other girl, Yong Wang Fei might do the same like she did to LFY and Long family might be capable of doing bad stuff too.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

After seeing Zhu Yi Long’s great performance and being promoted so much by drama as second male lead, I felt bad that he took this QH’s role as for (1) not as many scenes being second male lead should (2) have been written like as a character a lot of people are calling weak, wet-blanket, no backbone, selfish, inconsiderate (though I do not agree and only think he has been sheltered too much and naive) (3) no character growth 

Reveal hidden contents

From preview/trailer that shows his meeting with ML after her marriage with GTY, I’m getting really upset that “QH told her he loves her better than GTY as he dreams of her every night and she is in his heart all the time. ML responded by saying we both are married and no need to talk about the past.” Their conversation was seen by GTY. If this scene is going to happen, this is really character assassination of QH. You loved someone dearly but continued declaring your love to her after she got married (I don’t know QH gets married to his second wife or not). Imo, at that point, most audience will hate or even feel disgust with this character. I understand writers want to put in scenes for him as QH became pretty much non-existence in the book after 55 chapters, this is very unfair. That’s why I said above no character growth. In the drama, QH became just love-sick dellutional guy. 

I don’t know why ZYL accepted this QH role. Even in 2014, he was not popular yet but his second lead role in “love three life,” he got pretty much equal screen times throughout the drama though his character is pretty flawed and suffered one-sided love. (May be he worked with ZLY in a movie before and she invited him for this drama?) 

I believe Zhu Yilong will get more (better) roles after the story of minglan.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Maria Brimstone said:

To be honest, I can't wait for QH to try for ML's hand again only to get completely SHUT DOWN by evvveryone.

Spoiler

If i'm not mistaken, i read somewhere on weibo that qh join the rebellion against the emperor (zhao). He might have to go against gty. And i presumed gty reluctant to hurt qh, thus he was punished by the emperor (the scene gty was in prison) 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, tomo74 said:

I believe Zhu Yilong will get more (better) roles after the story of minglan.

Zyl was not that popular during the filming of this drama. He gained his popularity through the soul town which was broadcasted after the filming of this drama. My answerwhy he took this role is why not??? The producer is Noon production one of the best production, the cast are zly who is known as the queen of rating, the script is excellent, the director is outstanding, the one who directed famously received drama NIF and love me if you dare and the drama is a guaranteed success. Who doesn't wany to involve on this big oustanding IP. And his character involved a lot of emotion which require a high degree of acting talent. It's a good exposure to him. Being called names by the audience is nothing to the actor. It show the his acting was a success the give a huge impact to the audience. 

• Like 16

Jealousy makes people's brain shrink, molan smirk when she got told that madam Wu agreed to marry her with her son, not knowing she's going to live in hell smh.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

3 minutes ago, Maria Brimstone said:

To be honest, I can't wait for QH to try for ML's hand again only to get completely SHUT DOWN by evvveryone.

What do you mean? Shut down by viewers or shut down by his mom and GTY?

Spoiler

In tomorrow’s episodes for US viewer (epi 36?), after new emperor took the throne, the emperor made announce for another palace exam and he is planning to take it. He was seen asking his mom permission to propose for ML if he passes the exam this time. (His princess wife probably already died). This is the imperial mourning time for country and no marriages or joyful acitivities can be done. So, ML won’t be married off to Dr. He yet. That’s another reason GTY had time to do his scheming, making Dr. He’s cousin family came back from exile. Not sure QH missed the opportunity to propose as he hasn’t taken exam and lost to GTY or his mom doesn’t agree again. In the book, I don’t remember his mom considering ML for even his second marriage. She was considering di daughter Rulan and Molan’s scandal spread and won’t even consider Rulan anymore. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, m0us3y said:

She manipulated Da Niang to get rid of the spies in her courtyard, and now she got her revenge on Concubine Lin, using their weakness to her advantage to egg Molan and the mom to their own destruction.

All the while getting away scot free, still appearing innocent. 

Arguably, ML could only do that because Molan and the mum was greedy and was in a way willing parties to the whole thing, but she clearly has a hand in getting everything to be where she wants them to be. 

ML is truly a master of disguise. 

Had the world thinking she's quiet, and foolish and outmaneuver everyone, and may I add, without them even noticing they were being played until too late. 

Reading this I started thinking what if QH saw her like this.....will he still love her??

You know in the dramas..korean or chinese...its always the second lead who falls for the girl first because he sees her real self...while the main lead keeps thinking bad stuff about her. This drama gave that trope a twist. Here the main lead sees her true self and likes her because of that....even though he can guess she must have been doing stuff like this to survive in that house. 

The second lead here wouldn't even dream that the girl he loves is capable of all the scheming and manipulating. 

He was shocked just realizing that she lied to him about riding and playing polo. 

Imagine what he'll feel when he actually sees how she operates.

6 hours ago, watchumlots said:

Does anyone know where in the novel (chapter) Ep 31-32 of the drama are taken from? 

Don't have subs for Ep 30-32, only up to 29.   AHhhhhh!  I can't wait!  It's killing me to not have the dialogue to these scenes, they are awesome scenes.   

I think the whole Molan incident started around chapter 80-81 or a few before that.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

Agree ZYL is gaining a lot by being in this drama. His fans will feel sorry for QH and possibly gaining more fans. Heck, I cant even stalk twitter and IG of minglan’s hashtag without tons of ZYL posts.. I mean.. a girl is only looking for some spoilers, yet all I get is ZYL’s charming pics :unsure:

• Like 4
  • LOL 7

5 minutes ago, dito said:

Reading this I started thinking what if QH saw her like this.....will he still love her??

You know in the dramas..korean or chinese...its always the second lead who falls for the girl first because he sees her real self...while the main lead keeps thinking bad stuff about her. This drama gave that trope a twist. Here the main lead sees her true self and likes her because of that....even though he can guess she must have been doing stuff like this to survive in that house. 

The second lead here wouldn't even dream that the girl he loves is capable of all the scheming and manipulating. 

He was shocked just realizing that she lied to him about riding and playing polo. 

I think the whole Molan incident started around chapter 80-81 or a few before that.

If QH was privy to how ML orchestrated the down fall of Molan and her mother,he would be mortified.He believes in righteousness.He was shaken by the manipulation of his current wife's mom.He had lamented on the pitiable state of affairs that would give them power to rule the country.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

What do you mean? Shut down by viewers or shut down by his mom and GTY?

By GTY, by ML, and ML's Grandmother Bear mode switched on. From what I've heard, viewers in China fell in love QH's actor and knowing them, they'll defend him to the end lol

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

11 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

If QH was privy to how ML orchestrated the down fall of Molan and her mother,he would be mortified.He believes in righteousness.He was shaken by the manipulation of his current wife's mom.He had lamented on the pitiable state of affairs that would give them power to rule the country.

True, but this shows he fell for someone he doesn’t know. Minglan is also a smart woman capable of manipulation.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, fra8 said:

True, but this shows he fell for someone he doesn’t know. Minglan is also a smart woman capable of manipulation.

Spoiler

Well he knew ml deceived him again and again and that's not an impediment to his love. I think if he knew the manipulation done by ml in order to exact revenge against molan and linniang, he will applaud her as he knew ml was not a malicious person. And molan and linniang has for a long time suppressed ml. 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

After seeing Zhu Yi Long’s great performance and being promoted so much by drama as second male lead, I felt bad that he took this QH’s role as for (1) not as many scenes being second male lead should (2) have been written like as a character a lot of people are calling weak, wet-blanket, no backbone, selfish, inconsiderate (though I do not agree and only think he has been sheltered too much and naive) (3) no character growth 

Hide contents

From preview/trailer that shows his meeting with ML after her marriage with GTY, I’m getting really upset that “QH told her he loves her better than GTY as he dreams of her every night and she is in his heart all the time. ML responded by saying we both are married and no need to talk about the past.” Their conversation was seen by GTY. If this scene is going to happen, this is really character assassination of QH. You loved someone dearly but continued declaring your love to her after she got married (I don’t know QH gets married to his second wife or not). Imo, at that point, most audience will hate or even feel disgust with this character. I understand writers want to put in scenes for him as QH became pretty much non-existence in the book after 55 chapters, this is very unfair. That’s why I said above no character growth. In the drama, QH became just love-sick dellutional guy. 

Are you serious @Golden Flower??

I saw the trailer but I thought they only show her reaction, which was they can't go back anymore. 

But I don't recall QH said that to her??

Or do U mean the novel?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, fra8 said:

When someone falls in love they might not know everything about the person they like but will get to know eventually to keep falling in or out of love.It applies for QH and ML too.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

Well he knew ml deceived him again and again and that's not an impediment to his love. I think if he knew the manipulation done by ml in order to exact revenge against molan and linniang, he will applaud her as he knew ml was not a malicious person. And molan and linniang has for a long time suppressed ml. 

Not too sure if he would approve of it entirely. When ML exposed her polo playing abilities it was to help her friend.An impulsive move out of the goodness of her heart.

Revenge against concubine Lin and Molan was done in a rutheless cold-blooded manner.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, minglan1 said:

Not too sure if he would approve of it entirely. When ML exposed her polo playing abilities it was to help her friend.An impulsive move out of the goodness of her heart.

Revenge against concubine Lin and Molan was done in a rutheless cold-blooded manner.

Spoiler

If so, then he's not for her. Welcome gty. Good bye qh.(leave him to me) ha ha:D

• Like 1
  • LOL 9

38 minutes ago, dito said:

29 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

Which was why I asked in earlier episodes if QH really loved ML for the sweet innocent girl he knows, the fake facade she puts up. Or perhaps he's in love with the idea of being with me. Maybe he just wants what he couldn't have. 

Because I don't think he truly knows ML. 

ML has never opened up to him. Third conversation always center around his feelings for her. Or things he got her. 

QH doesn't even know that she can ride horses and play polo!

Then again, if QH got ML, maybe she will continue being the ML everyone saw. Which was why she told GTY she can't live for herself. 

And GTY was keen to get her live as herself, for hwrself, which is why she came out from her shell after that?

• Like 9