Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

12 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

Rulan believes she can be happy being with a husband who is lower in status than being with a husband who is higher in status than her. That is where these arrange marriages are flawed. You never really know the real face of your in-laws and husbands until you married to them. Just like when Minglan cousin was wed to a lower status scholar but turned out he and his mother was greedy. Or the big sister with a mean mother in-law.

That was true. But bc Shulan (cousin) married down, when she was in trouble, the Sheng family could step up and get a divorce for her. However if she had married up to a more powerful family, there would be nothing that they could do and she would have to keep suffering (like Molan). That's why if the girl was not after status, marrying down was a safer choice than marrying up. Anyway, Rulan chose her husband cuz he loved her with all her flaws, which was very rare.

11 hours ago, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

If they follow the novel, his first wife gets what the kidnapped girl got during the rebellion. Don’t know about his mother.

His mother was not that cruel in the drama so she didn't receive any significant punishment. Actually she was not mentioned later in the story.

11 hours ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

The Dr He seems like a good fit for ML just like QH. They will have a very normal peaceful marriage if he didn't have a cousin crushing on him. Did Dr He reciprocated his cousin's feeling's too? He looks a bit like QH too.

The suitor for RL seems a tad too old. He isn't that bad looking if u look at him more. Just that he looks a lot older than any if the main casts and even the 6th lord.

Dr.He didn't reciprocated her feeling, but she and her whole family were a bunch of crazy maniacs clinging to him like leeches. Also his mother was her aunt so she was biased over her. In the end she succeeded in becoming his concubine and his life was also a mess.

5 hours ago, Maria Brimstone said:

After the satisfaction of Concubine Lin and Molan's downfall, I will now await GTY's stepmother's downfall. Something about that woman's two-facedness gets me even more than the other women in the show. Grrrrr it annoys me that she's living such a lux life now, throwing parties here and there.

If the drama follows the book, his stepmom's downfall will be very late.

5 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

Correct me if I’m wrong someone mentioned that Rulan was caught by GTY stepmom with her lover and that’s how it caused an uproar. How did that play out? Why would GTY stepmom even be involved in his marriage when he completely cut off ties with the Gu household. Unless it was someone else from Sheng household or it was GTY nanny.

GTY proposed marriage to the Sheng family, not stated clearly which daughter he wanted. Sheng family thought it was the di daughter Rulan and arranged for the marriage with Rulan. However Rulan was secretly seeing her boyfriend (forgot his name). That day she came to the temple to say goodbye to him when GTY arranged for his nanny (not stepmom, according to the book) to catch them redhanded. Bc the Emperor knew about the marriage, Sheng family could not back out so they had no choice but to replace Rulan with ML (ML was technically a di daughter since she was registered under Daniang's name) and married Rulan off to her boyfriend.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

That was true. But bc Shulan (cousin) married down, when she was in trouble, the Sheng family could step up and get a divorce for her. However if she had married up to a more powerful family, there would be nothing that they could do and she would have to keep suffering (like Molan). That's why if the girl was not after status, marrying down was a safer choice than marrying up. Anyway, Rulan chose her husband cuz he loved her with all her flaws, which was very rare.

His mother was not that cruel in the drama so she didn't receive any significant punishment. Actually she was not mentioned later in the story.

Dr.He didn't reciprocated her feeling, but she and her whole family were a bunch of crazy maniacs clinging to him like leeches. Also his mother was her aunt so she was biased over her. In the end she succeeded in becoming his concubine and his life was also a mess.

GTY proposed marriage to the Sheng family, not stated clearly which daughter he wanted. Sheng family thought it was the di daughter Rulan and arranged for the marriage with Rulan. However Rulan was secretly seeing her boyfriend (forgot his name). That day she came to the temple to say goodbye to him when GTY arranged for his nanny (not stepmom, according to the book) to catch them redhanded. Bc the Emperor knew about the marriage, Sheng family could not back out so they had no choice but to replace Rulan with ML (ML was technically a di daughter since she was registered under Daniang's name) and married Rulan off to her boyfriend.

Just GTY casually orchestrating two engagements breaking for the sake of marrying ML  :joy:

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

Spoiler

The way they will portray ML’s part in being the messenger is better since she wasn’t supposed to be the messenger. No major heroic acts, She was only trying to leave, but the palace maid she was leaving with got killed and turned it over to ML. Looks like the only ways she’ll escape is by sheer luck and she doesn’t get too far before getting caught and needing help? At least that’s what I got out of the previews. Tried to watch it live but only caught a bit at the end.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, cherubstomato said:

Correct me if I’m wrong someone mentioned that Rulan was caught by GTY stepmom with her lover and that’s how it caused an uproar. How did that play out? Why would GTY stepmom even be involved in his marriage when he completely cut off ties with the Gu household. Unless it was someone else from Sheng household or it was GTY nanny.

GTY’s stepmom was involved in finding out that GTY’s first wife cheated, but since there’s no first wife before ML in the drama, there won’t be this part. Like linhlinh111 said, it was GTY’s nanny that played a part in catching Rulan.

Spoiler

So Molan got what she wanted, but there’s no major wedding send-off like a bride from a wealthy family marrying into a noble family would get due to the scandalous reason for the marriage and his mother didn’t really want her as daughter in-law. Fitting outcome along with everything else to come. Only thing is if they go by the novel, her life will be miserable because of the endless favored concubines but it won’t be bad since she learns to play the “virtuous” wife who accepts concubines so even though hubby didn’t love her he didn’t treat her badly. Think it was because aside from conceit and being Concubine Lin’s child, she wasn’t the one that did the evil deeds, it was her mom who got her karma. Molan’s price to pay for seducing 6th Liang son was accepting all his concubines.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, hello210 said:

GTY’s stepmom was involved in finding out that GTY’s first wife cheated, but since there’s no first wife before ML in the drama, there won’t be this part. Like linhlinh111 said, it was GTY’s nanny that played a part in catching Rulan.

Spoiler

In the drama the stepmom was an unashamed woman. When gty was appointed as general her attitude towards gty change 180. Keep on buttering him. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

In the drama the stepmom was an unashamed woman. When gty was appointed as general her attitude towards gty change 180. Keep on buttering him. 

Spoiler

I’m not surprised since you could see her personality change since the father died. So glad GTY knows her true face now and won’t be fooled again.

• Like 5

Hi. First post in this group. Loving the show so far. And enjoying the comments and discussions here.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

Not a big fan of this cousin character so would not mind if it was cut and back then people cared about airs so if she could not have children im surprised even though how nice Dr He was he would go with her or he does not know yet?

I don't think anyone except for the cousins mother knew that she can't have kids.

ML and granny refused to accept her and doc also told her he always saw her as a sister nothing more. After that the cousin tried to commit suicide. Thats when her mom told everyone the truth.Thats why she was pushing to be a concubine. If ML had married the doc her kids will be the only heirs....and thats the only reason ML was willing to give in. In the end the Doc was willing to accept her because of his mother...and pity for his cousin.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, fra8 said:

I wonder now if his family gets involved in his fall from grace. So the payback is the very end since I hope the end is happy for them in personal life and political life.

Spoiler

One of the only time GTY could have gotten in trouble in the novel spoilers was because when he returned from war, instead of waiting for the army to officially enter the capital, he was worried and anxious so he snuck in to see ML. I guess they said it was an act that’s punishable by the Emperor. They changed different things around in the drama so it’ll be a surprise when we get to the part in the drama where he gets in trouble and see what crime he supposedly committed. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, minoku2209 said:

Minglan new stills, so pretty.

Spoiler

It seems the scene in trailer when she slapped her or did I get it wrong? I wonder why....since they are so close. Could it be marriage related?

She is very pretty.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, fra8 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It seems the scene in trailer when she slapped her or did I get it wrong? I wonder why....since they are so close. Could it be marriage related?

She is very pretty.

Spoiler

Think someone commented earlier that grandma slapped ML because she admitted to setting up the whole thing with Molan getting caught as revenge for what Concubine Lin did to her mother. But grandma hugged her after.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, linhlinh111 said:

That day she came to the temple to say goodbye to him when GTY arranged for his nanny (not stepmom, according to the book) to catch them redhanded. Bc the Emperor knew about the marriage, Sheng family could not back out so they had no choice but to replace Rulan with ML (ML was technically a di daughter since she was registered under Daniang's name) and married Rulan off to her boyfriend.

Lol...google translate translates momo as mother...thats why I thought his step mom caught them:joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

2 hours ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

Unfortunately the cousin existed in the drama. Just saw the trailerB)

Didnt want her in the drama but the character is quite pitiful. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, linhlinh111 said:

26 minutes ago, dito said:

I don't think anyone except for the cousins mother knew that she can't have kids.

ML and granny refused to accept her and doc also told her he always saw her as a sister nothing more. After that the cousin tried to commit suicide. Thats when her mom told everyone the truth.Thats why she was pushing to be a concubine. If ML had married the doc her kids will be the only heirs....and thats the only reason ML was willing to give in. In the end the Doc was willing to accept her because of his mother...and pity for his cousin.

This cousin i feel sorry for and if shes a concubine but cant have children i suppose she just wants to live in some happiness which is not a bad thing and i think everyone would want that. 

The Dr's life was a mess? that will be sad if we see that i like him alot. 

• Like 3

So I just finished ep 29 . Rulan is really an energy reliever:Dlove this girl...still  watching ep 31 raw, but my eyes explored already on the 35/36 trailers...I promised myself not to watch any spoilers for me to enjoy the show but I failed again..seems like PROMISES ARE REALLY MEANT TO BE BROKEN:tounge_xd:..

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

16 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

This cousin i feel sorry for and if shes a concubine but cant have children i suppose she just wants to live in some happiness which is not a bad thing and i think everyone would want that. 

The Dr's life was a mess? that will be sad if we see that i like him alot. 

If that was all she wanted then she wouldn't be that disgusting. Before her family's downfall, her family looked down on He family and refused to marry her off to him. Now that they were poor, she came clinging to him to avoid poverty. She always played the damsel in distress role, pretended to be sick to gain his attention against his main wife. He disliked her but couldn't ignore her cuz his mother was biased over her. She and his mother (His mother was her aunt so her family was also his mother's family) was lurking He family's money out to support her family. His grandma had to send her far away so that he can get married without trouble. The problem with the cousin only ended when his mother dies and he completely shut her down.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

So the ep 35/36 teasers look interesting. Looks like QH’s dragon mom is going to get scared s***less by the Royal Yongs. So the story arc of her relenting to QH later but was too embarrassed to follow through could happen but we’ll see. I was wondering how they were going to tone her fierceness down if she wasn’t like that in the novel. Karma once again, she gets the same rude awakening that she gave her son. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

If that was all she wanted then she wouldn't be that disgusting. Before her family's downfall, her family looked down on He family and refused to marry her off to him. Now that they were poor, she came clinging to him to avoid poverty. She always played the damsel in distress role, pretended to be sick to gain his attention against his main wife. He disliked her but couldn't ignore her cuz his mother was biased over her. She and his mother (His mother was her aunt so her family was also his mother's family) was lurking He family's money out to support her family. His grandma had to send her far away so that he can get married without trouble. The problem with the cousin only ended when his mother dies and he completely shut her down.

Ah she a bish then never mind ;p 

Just now, hello210 said:
  Hide contents

So the ep 35/36 teasers look interesting. Looks like QH’s dragon mom is going to get scared s***less by the Royal Yongs. So the story arc of her relenting to QH later but being embarrassed to follow through could happen but we’ll see. I was wondering how they were going to tone her fierceness down if she wasn’t like that in the novel. Karma once again, she gets the same rude awakening that she gave her son. 

she can die for all i care. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2