Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

2 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

I don't think ML did this since if Molan's name is tainted then both Rulan and ML herself would be ruined too. Molan was lucky Grandma found a way to blackmail the Liang family, otherwise the whole family's reputation was done for. And Molan's virginity was definitely not lost since she knew for sure if she was not a virgin she could never be married off as the main wife. Back then it was really harsh on women. Being hugged was enough to ruin a girl's name.

I don't think so neither coz ML threw grass at Molan to avoid her sneaking off to see the Liang 6th son.  It appears that LM just found out through her maid Xiaotao (who spoke to maids from Liang family) that the 6th son is a rake and he has a pregnant concubine.  ML did it so Molan couldn't go to this meeting and therefore save their family name.  Although I must that she has had a lot of fun egging Molan on  :joy:.  At last I get to see a little naugthiness from our fav Minglan.  Grandma was very protective of ML too which is nice. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

Ep 33 & 34 highly anticipated. Liang mama really crazy about ML to suggest that ML to marry her son as the main wife and Molan as a concubine. LOL. :D

Ohh.. ML become a hero. Carrying message for help from the emperor to his intended heir. And Gty persuade the heir to accept the request of emperor to suceed him.so, marriage is looming on the horizon. 

I don't know but I have a feeling that the drama is buffing ML too much. From being in charge of the Sheng family (did not happen i the book and very unreasonable, ML was just a shu daughter) to proposing the divorce of her cousin (did not happen in the book and very unappropriate bc ML was not yet married and just a relative, Shulan grandma was the one who proposed that) and now helping the emperor? She did things that were very unfit to her position and it made everyone around her look useless, thus destroy the logic of the story. But I think maybe bc she is the main lead so the drama has to make things more about her somehow.

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

I don't know but I have a feeling that the drama is buffing ML too much. From being in charge of the Sheng family (did not happen i the book and very unreasonable, ML was just a shu daughter) to proposing the divorce of her cousin (did not happen in the book and very unappropriate bc ML was not yet married and just a relative, Shulan grandma was the one who proposed that) and now helping the emperor? She did things that were very unfit to her position and it made everyone around her look useless, thus destroy the logic of the story. But I think maybe bc she is the main lead so the drama has to make things more about her somehow.

Yes I agree. It makes the story less compelling. There is a balance between showing her intelligence and capability and making her do things that are out of the context and even ooc (in comparison with the book). 

I think  that the general idea is to make her amazing and make her overshadow everybody. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

Spoiler

I like the drama more than the novel. Buffing ml's role was what required to make it more interesting. And helping shulan for separation was done discreetly not publicly. And the title of the drama us "the story of minglan" so, of course everything revolved around ML. 

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, fra8 said:

Yes I agree. It makes the story less compelling. There is a balance between showing her intelligence and capability and making her do things that are out of the context and even ooc (in comparison with the book). 

I think too that the general idea is to make her amazing and make her overshadow everybody. 

Spoiler

I think this is where she dresses up as an eunuch. I don’t think it’s going to be something major where she overshadows everyone, but rather a minor act that once again leads her to meet GTY.  Waiting for the full episodes to see how they play it out since I’ve been misled by teasers before and I want to know how she was with her father and CB in their work place (I think?).

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, fra8 said:

I think  that the general idea is to make her amazing and make her overshadow everybody. 

39 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

I like the drama more than the novel. Buffing ml's role was what required to make it more interesting. And helping shulan for separation was done discreetly not publicly. And the title of the drama us "the story of minglan" so, of course everything revolved around ML. 

Making her more involved in domestic matters she had no business interfering which show her intelligence is still acceptable to a certain extent...if you forget historical accuracy and logic. But getting involved into political matters??? At least leave something for our main lead to do. Poor guy has done nothing but get beat up by his dad, schemed against by his family, betrayed by his lover, and rejected by half the families in the capital.:bawling:

• Like 5
  • LOL 5

3 minutes ago, dito said:

Making her more involved in domestic matters she had no business interfering which show her intelligence is still acceptable to a certain extent...if you forget historical accuracy and logic. But getting involved into political matters??? At least leave something for our main lead to do. Poor guy has done nothing but get beat up by his dad, schemed against by his family, betrayed by his lover, and rejected by half the families in the capital.:bawling:

Spoiler

Ohh.. Don't worry. Ershu will get his long awaiting limelight. And she is not involve in politic, just be a messenger as her presence is inconspicuous. The fighting or persuading is left to Ershu and other generals. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, dito said:

Hahaha...For me, what’s seen as historically accurate is just based on a set of ideals but human nature gets thrown in the mix and we get the Shengs. They are a dysfunctional bunch. I think they’re just showing a different side of various possible family dynamics, otherwise we wouldn’t have a concubine of a middle class household having as much power as Concubine Lin if they were to portray an idealistic household. We wouldn’t have Molan sneaking out for some snooky.  And there wouldn’t be novels with similar ideas if these things didn’t exist somewhere, though it’s not common. Also, for the Steward job, in grandma’s position, ML was the logical choice since she’s a neutral party and it got grandma out of being the bad guy for favoring either wives sides as well as bought time to turn the position over to the rightful owner Da Niang (correcting the household order) using the arrival of CB’s wife as a valid excuse. But I will agree on the political involvement thing so we’ll see how it’s played out tomorrow.

Also, I think what the director said about how we’re going to get to see more focus on ML’s and GTY’s characters started this week. Cause I remember that in the interview it was brought up that the the audience was commenting on how the supporting cast was overshadowing the two main leads and he responded that everything will be leading to our main leads and they’ll have their moments.

• Like 9
  • LOL 2

I'm a lurker (because my English sucks), but I really fell in love with this drama. I'm obsessed with it. <3

I just saw that old trailer and now I'm wondering if someone understands what ML & GTY are fighting about. 

• Like 5

Ruloan's beau was introduced in the series.Glad that they have kept this story arc.Will be interesting to see how GTY conspires to fix his marriage with ML while not give the Sheng family a way to wriggle out and placate grandma. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

Besides if Molan really pulled the pregnant con then I have to say she was really stupid. She could just use her looks and sweet talking to gain Liang's son attention, but she chose to be married off in such a shameful way. And actually if Liang family refused to take her (they had a valid reason not to) then she is doomed for sure.

In the drama, it looked like he was tired of her already. He was a playboy with a lot of experience.  It would have been hard to become his main wife withoit entrapment.  Marriages are arranged by the parents and Madam Liang definitely did not want her. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, linhlinh111 said:
2 hours ago, leeza77 said:

You can't compare the two. The written word relies on imagination. You can absorb characters and nuance at a leisurely pace.Cinematography is visual. You have to grasp the characters, story, background and absorb at a rapid pace.

The book tells us she was smart and ahead of her time and we must imagine using Minglan's POV.  The drama can't just tell us she was smart and ahead of her time, it must show us, using examples. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Considering this is originally an transmigration story they have to change the personality of Minglan.

• Like 8

So many spoilers..... while I'm still stuck at ep 28 :cry:..... so Molan got married as a legal wife to Liang's family? she gets what she wants then.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

@tomo74 Most of the spoilers are from the novel. Yes and no to your question. He has alot of concubine i think and she isn't really favored so she won't have a good life.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

Anyone know when the Happy Camp episode with the Minglan cast is supposed to air? Please  :)

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, tomo74 said:

So many spoilers..... while I'm still stuck at ep 28 :cry:..... so Molan got married as a legal wife to Liang's family? she gets what she wants then.

@tomo74 Just remember that not everything is what appears on the surface even though she gets the marriage. 

Spoiler

Liang son is a playboy and already favors a concubine. And it’s better than Liang mama getting what she wants which is ML.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, hello210 said:

@tomo74 Just remember that not everything is what appears on the surface even though she gets the marriage. 

Hide contents

Liang son is a playboy and already favors a concubine. And it’s better than Liang mama getting what she wants which is ML.

She was mean and hateful but she was not evil (her mother was) so that was enough of a punishment. The wedding was just the start. She was married off in a shameful way so her marriage wouldn't be peaceful.

Spoiler

Her husband was a playboy. She spent most of her time fighting with concubines, had a few miscarriages and gave birth to all daughters, later the Sheng family was distant and didn't help her at all with her troubles, her mother could never return to the main house. But she got the status she wanted, although that was not exactly the life she was expecting. In the end she was the most pitiful of the 4 daughters, even got jealous with Rulan (Rulan married the man that was supposed to be betrothed to her but she detested him cuz he was just a poor student)

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

50 minutes ago, tomo74 said:

Me too!!! Only up to 28 since thats subbed. And everyone here is talking about 33-34 already! 

But it does look like exciting times ahead! 

Personally I don't mind too much about the deviation from the novel, cuz I've never read it. 

And also as a few chingus already mentioned, the novel is based in transmigration, so it started off a lil different to begin with..

And the fact that books are descriptive, which leaves a lot of room for imagination, and its hard to fit that into a show with limited episodes. I reckon that's why most people always comment that the show leaves things out, and the novel's always better. 

• Like 5

The raw episodes are up to 32 but there is preview for 33-34 from what i see on youtube.

• Like 3