Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

I finally finished it all...it has been a smooth and rough journey watching TSOM, ( this was my 2nd historical cdrama that I religiously fallowed every ep after PA.)

I love this drama, so many lessons learned after watching it,love all the characters from antagonist to protagonist,each artist executed their roles very well and made us feel them, love them, hate them.

I wont say that ZLY was overshadowed by others, coz every characters have their own designated roles.

Most memorable scene to me that made me cry somuch is when Young  Minglan mother dies..and at ship crying with GM arms.and also rong er finally calling ML' Mother.

GrandMa and Minglan's love and care for each other is such a beautifull life.

Love the bonding relationship of ml and rulan on the first half of the drama.Daniang's meme face is such a funny and entertaining scene,

I like how it ended up, all family are there, except daniang..ML's wish "a peacefull life,a safe and sound family"have been granted.A loving, caring and understanding husband.and a cute lovely son.( Im a bit sad coz they dnt have much bonding as a family in the end.)

Thank you also for the producers, directors,writters and to all hardworking staffs and crews behind this beautifull drama this year.I will be rewatching this with my sister after resuming my lost sleeps.( having a 3-4 hrs sleep for 1.5 mnts is not healthy at all).

I ddnt joined the discussion much but I enjoyed reading everyone's opinion.thank you to all and God bless you all.and to my fellow cp shippers lets discuss again on the cp thread.

• Like 12

Now the drama is finished ill catch up but its amazing it hit over 2% in rating's one of the most successful shows of the last few year's. 

• Like 10

Loved this drama so much that I have been rewatching old episodes this week since I am not over it yet. Lol.

On this second re-watching, I noticed more starkly what irritated me about Qi Heng's relationship with Minglan - he never tried to understand where she was coming from and was always putting her in compromising situations. I felt he loved her but he was in love with the cute flawless Sixth Sheng Miss and never took her opinions or tried to understand her reasoning and her situation. The first polo match for example - with so many eyes and ears around, he was talking about the knee guards she gave him with so many others nearby. And then going to the Yuqing Monastery to corner her alone so he could express his love for her. That could have led to very disastrous consequences. And there were numerous other occasions. 

This was contrasted with how Gu Tingye regarded her. He was always aware of the precarious and difficult situation Minglan was in and took care never to put her in compromising situations. After saving her from the pirate attack, when  she didn't know who her saviour was initially, he reminded her she shouldn't have given her name to a random strange man. Or not accompanying her back in public after the funeral attack because it could create a scandal. And more importantly, he took her opinions seriously unlike QH. Although he was upset with her in her role in disrupting his proposed match with Yanran, he accepted her reasoning although he was mad enough to still threaten her with the idea that he could propose marriage to her instead.  Lol. He also gave serious thought to what she said about Rong-er's future and acted on it because he saw her as intelligent and an equal. QH only saw her as a cute girl he wanted to be with.

The contrast was also evident in the schoolroom debate when Minglan was asked her opinion on whether inheritance should be through birth position or merit. Gu Tingye was confident she could hold her own and had her own opinion, while Qi Heng was amazed that she could. 

I think if Minglan had married Qi Heng, she would have been frustrated eventually because Qi Heng had such a set idea of what she was which wasn't her at all. Marrying Gu Tingye was difficult because of his horrible family, but he also gave her the space to be herself and come into her own and it was a true partnership. It was also significant that before marriage, apart from Grandma, Gu Tingye was the only one whom she would have uncensored and honest conversations with.

One last side note - on Dr He. I think she would be happy enough too. But he was in awe of her and I don't think it would have been the type of equal partnership she had with Gu Tingye. She would be very fond of him though but he won't be able to support her the way Gu Tingye did as he was too soft.

• Like 13
  • Insightful 1

I finally finished the drama. There's so much to unpack.The longest drama I'd ever watched & I'm quite satisfied with it. All in all I really enjoyed the show, especially seeing how both ML & TY's development & growth unfolds from the beginning to the end, along w/ their relationship/interaction w everyone else. 

As for the last episode, it was a solid conclusion. My only gripe is how Empress Dowager didnt serve time/exiled for her action/set of events leading up to the rebellion/end when she was mostly responsible for. The most ingrate of them all along w/ Molan. 

• Like 8

On 2/15/2019 at 2:14 AM, m0us3y said:

What a journey! 

Every artiste played their character so well, from our beloved ML & GTY, to our second leads QH & WIFE, everyone from Sheng Family (Beloved granny, SH, DaNiang, RL, HL, CB, Molan), Shitou & XiaoTao, Rong'er, Danju, Mdm Zhang, even DaNiang's maidservant, to our protagonists, Mdm Qin, Aunty Kang, Aunty Wang, even MN. 

Relationships and love goes beyond our OTP of ML - GTY.

Granny - ML, GTY- Shitou, ML - XiaoTao & Danju, Rong'er - ML & GTY, CB - GTY, ML - Mdm Zhang, QH - wife were all very heartwarming and lovely to watch. 

I've laughed at GTY's antics, CB's hilarious actions, DaNiang's amusing expressions;

I've cried with ML over the mum's passing, granny's poisoning, and finally in her desperate attempt to save GTY, cried with Rong'er to witness the death of her own mum, and when she finally called ML "mum";

I've smiled at the sweetness and little intimate moments between ML - GTY.

Loved both the explosive GTY, and the more subtle, quiet and subdued ML; full of wisdom granny, straightforward RL, and comical DaNiang & CB.

Cheered when those that ML extended help to came back to show support, friendship, and loyalty from Mdm Zhang, Yanran, the Sheng's couz, Danju. 

Really liked the friendship formed btw ML and QH's wife under the most unlikely circumstances

It has its flaws and shortcomings, but pulled enough heartstrings, and gave enough hope to keep me going. 

It's a relatively "quiet" slice of life family drama, and I've enjoyed the subtleties of things, appreciated the suffering & limitations for women during the era, and loved the various relationships, that goes beyond blood and family.

It's not a perfect show, but definitely worth every minute of the time watching (and re-watching). 

It's been a great 1.5 months watching TSOML; reading & discussing the difference thoughts, perspectives, insights and analysis of the show and characters, sharing of spoilers,  previews and bts, historical facts, and translations. 

Thank you @cherubstomato @linhlinh111 @Golden Flower @nichiwoohee @dancingbee @lclarakl @Suzzy San @frenchfan @dito@minglan1@mooose @minoku2209 @leeza77 @jewelsc @hello210 @matrim @zenya22 @Jackie1048 @sava2sava @heatherbee @greenwatch08 @UnniSarah @lilkat75 @fra8 

Thanks & Youre welcome. Right back at you. Second thread I follow & really enjoyed interacting w/everyone here. A fun bunch. I still have so much thoughts about TSoML. I finished the drama just today. I've been trying to avoid the thread because of spoilers but now I'm all caught up/done.

• Like 7

On 2/15/2019 at 7:59 AM, shihuangdi said:

In the beginning I was also confused with Molan’s ending and why she is received with such an open arm. But from what I think - nobody figure out that Molan released Aunt Kang. The one who released aunt was LN’s old maid and she is probably go far away after being given money from Molan. So, everyone thinks that it was stepmom trick. And then the problem with her husband, I assume Molan’s family heard about it, so they pity her. I kinda hope Molan at least apologise to ML but giver her character she probably won’t do it. But I feel like in the end she shown great remorse because she starts helping grandma to walk. I think after the husband incident, she probably realise that her mom’s teaching are all wrong. 

Now trying to find another drama to watch ... any recommendation? I’m waiting for Queen Dugu to be sub, currently watching Haolan.

i tried watching NIF because it is recommended so much by ppl in this sub. But I watched 2 episodes but don’t understand a single thing :sweatingbullets:. I ended up watching Luzhen because of Zhao Li Ying (and Chen Xiao is there). 

I watched Legend of Dugu on youtube and it was fully subbed. The Legend of Hao Lan is fun to watch especially if you saw The story of Yanxi Palace, seeing the leads brought back for this drama is like a 2nd helping of awesomeness, I love the chemistry between them.

• Like 2

Can someone please clarify for me, just how many episodes are in this drama? Viki and most sources say 73, but asianwikipedia was saying there are 79 and that ML and GTY had a 2nd baby boy named, Gu Yuan. Somewhere else was saying that the viki version was a director's cut. Can anyone confirm??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Momigy21 said:

Can someone please clarify for me, just how many episodes are in this drama? Viki and most sources say 73, but asianwikipedia was saying there are 79 and that ML and GTY had a 2nd baby boy named, Gu Yuan. Somewhere else was saying that the viki version was a director's cut. Can anyone confirm??

That's something I would like to know. :crazy: I was wondering about that.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share my love for this series, which has become one of my all-time favorite dramas. I watched it raw first and then went back to watch it subbed and realized I missed so much of the nuances because my Chinese is not good enough (I'm an ABC). I rewatched most of it again this weekend.  I wish it didn't have to end so soon because I could have easily watched at least 10 more episodes just on the happy married life between Ming Lan and GTY. I was hoping that she would finally call him 二郎 by the end of the series and I was hoping for some last great reunion scene between all their friends and family, but I'm also so relieved we got a happy ending with most of the family members accounted for. 

I only got into watching Chinese dramas recently (I used to watch HK dramas instead) so I probably missed a lot of good ones in the past...can any of you recommend dramas that are similar to 知否?知否? I've been watching mostly historical dramas but after 知否?知否? I think I would much prefer to watch slice of life shows about families. Thanks in advance!

• Like 9

On 2/17/2019 at 7:04 PM, ForgottenSoulx said:

Now the drama is finished ill catch up but its amazing it hit over 2% in rating's one of the most successful shows of the last few year's. 

I am so glad as there were quite a lot of negative comments while this drama was being filmed and in the production phase.  But likely our casts have solid audience who kept watching and decide for themselves.  I do not know most of the casts but  that did not stopped me from continuing the drama.  So so happy I made the right choice.

Now that TSOML has ended, I feel the void.  No other dramas has taken a fancy so I will wait for a while and just enjoy the peace and quiet.  BRAVO again to the production team for breaking 2% 

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, frenchfan said:

I am so glad as there were quite a lot of negative comments while this drama was being filmed and in the production phase.  But likely our casts have solid audience who kept watching and decide for themselves.  I do not know most of the casts but  that did not stopped me from continuing the drama.  So so happy I made the right choice.

Now that TSOML has ended, I feel the void.  No other dramas has taken a fancy so I will wait for a while and just enjoy the peace and quiet.  BRAVO again to the production team for breaking 2% 

I'm feeling the void too! I haven't felt this emptiness after finishing a drama for a long, long time. It's a testament to how awesome TSOML is! I almost don't know what to do with my free time now...there's like nothing to look forward to. :bawling: 

• Like 8

I finally watched this.

This was a really beautifully made series. The details were incredible. There were parts that I found to be overly dramatic, but other than that it was good.

My mother totally spoiled the pairing for me when she tried to get me to watch it, so I wasn't surprised when she ended up with Gu Tingye. I kind of wish we see more of the Gu family after what happened. I really think now that the madame is gone, the Gu family can coexist in peace.

I actually really like the ending where the old queen didn't die. As someone said in Chinese on youtube. When two bosses fights, it's not the bosses that get hurt but people around them. It's so true!

I liked the growth in Gu Tingye, the only thing I didn't like was the size of the risk he took at the end! He could have destroyed the future of his wife and his family if anything went wrong!! I mean I know it was calculated risk, but still... I hope he is done with his risk taking days and actually let Minglan have so peaceful days after this! But as a general... he is always going to be in danger especially when the king is planning to fight wars in the future. So, Minglan future may not be as peaceful as she wished.

• Like 7

I have saved all my favourite episodes and will watch again at my own leisure.

It is really interesting to note that how much acting as they are actually a pair of real life couple. I suppose the elaborate wedding on set can be taken for a real wedding for them too.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, arcchidus said:

I finally watched this.

This was a really beautifully made series. The details were incredible. There were parts that I found to be overly dramatic, but other than that it was good.

My mother totally spoiled the pairing for me when she tried to get me to watch it, so I wasn't surprised when she ended up with Gu Tingye. I kind of wish we see more of the Gu family after what happened. I really think now that the madame is gone, the Gu family can coexist in peace.

I actually really like the ending where the old queen didn't die. As someone said in Chinese on youtube. When two bosses fights, it's not the bosses that get hurt but people around them. It's so true!

I liked the growth in Gu Tingye, the only thing I didn't like was the size of the risk he took at the end! He could have destroyed the future of his wife and his family if anything went wrong!! I mean I know it was calculated risk, but still... I hope he is done with his risk taking days and actually let Minglan have so peaceful days after this! But as a general... he is always going to be in danger especially when the king is planning to fight wars in the future. So, Minglan future may not be as peaceful as she wished.

I agree. For me, this whole last minute plan of Emperor to use GTY was very carelessly thought up and planned. The GTY of now, with a family of his own will never take such a risk....playing with his and their lives. Even if he does, he will first make sure his wife and child are safe.....and out of reach from that viper of a stepmom. What kind of person leaves his family unprotected in a such dangerous situation? When he's fully aware his stepmom will never stop until her son has the title.

People are saying if he had told ML, she would not be convincing enough pretending her desperation. Well, I say bs to that. If you remember ML has been pretending to be something she's not, for almost all her life. And she damned well convinced everyone of her act....even grandma to some extent.

• Like 3

On 2/14/2019 at 6:53 PM, linhlinh111 said:

And Molan. Like, I get it, she is still welcomed back to the house. But how can they be so casual with her? She freed the woman who tried to kill her own Grandmother, and they just let it pass like that? Are all these people Saints or something?

EXACTLY. This is my #1 complaint with this show/the ending. I HATE that they just let Molan get away with everything she did because not once did she ever feel true remorse about the things SHE did and the problems SHE caused. She didn't LEARN anything. And to have to accept that, through this ending for her, we're supposed to pretend none of her previous deeds actually occurred?? I hate it and it actually really dampens my overall enjoyment of the show.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

On 2/14/2019 at 3:43 PM, lilkat75 said:

One of the things that did slightly disappoint me was the fight/discussion between ML and GTY. I dislike the idea that showing love through being emotional/getting jealous/making a scene means that you truly love a person. To be honest, the 'solving' of miscommunication on this matter wasn't exactly explicit. Yes, I do like the couple and that they are able to speak on personal matters with each other and I certainly know that they both love each other dearly.  My problem was that the execution of overcoming this obstacle was not done very well/not as impactful as I would have liked. From what I've heard from the novel, I wished that the drama/screenwriters followed the fight/how the couple solved their miscommunication in the novel -_-

Agree! I love the conflict because it's internally driven and not because of some second female/male lead. I waited and waited for it to resolve in a more open, direct way, but besides her acting a bit rashly towards the end and showing some jealousy towards the concubine, we really didn't get to see clearer indication of her trusting him in a sense that she would rely on him more. Also I agree with ML, if he didn't care about the concubine why should she feel jealous? When she got a bit jealous of Prostitute Wei (hope I got her name right!), that makes a lot more sense since Wei is GTY's friend and confidante, someone he actually pays some mind to (even though their relationship was platonic).

How did they resolve this conflict in the novel?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, insertusernamehere said:

Agree! I love the conflict because it's internally driven and not because of some second female/male lead. I waited and waited for it to resolve in a more open, direct way, but besides her acting a bit rashly towards the end and showing some jealousy towards the concubine, we really didn't get to see clearer indication of her trusting him in a sense that she would rely on him more. Also I agree with ML, if he didn't care about the concubine why should she feel jealous? When she got a bit jealous of Prostitute Wei (hope I got her name right!), that makes a lot more sense since Wei is GTY's friend and confidante, someone he actually pays some mind to (even though their relationship was platonic).

This conflict was not in the novel. Atleast not in the way they showed it....GTY wanting to see ML jealous,etc.

But the issue of her not trusting him was very beautifully expressed and kind of resolved. to some extent, in two heartfelt conversations. In one of those conversations ML showed him that he didn't completely trust her either.

If you want to read it .....here is a very nicely summarized version by @linhlinh111 on pg 248

Spoiler

The first argument happened in a similar situation as in the drama, except there were just 2 of them sitting in a closed room. ML pointed out for him while he, as a noble and a man, had little at stake why she, as a lowborn woman, would lose everything once she fell out of his favor and without reputations. It's the same as a conversation she had before about her and QH in the drama, which states that a small amount of value to QH may mean everything to her. This can also apply with GTY. She then cried silently, saying she was indeed selfish, bc she could never put everything on the line for a man's love. GTY then understood how hard it is on her and moved back to sleep with her, never spoke about that again.

The second argument happened in a different situation since they changed the sequence of event in the drama. In the book the delivery of her first child took place first, then the poison of Grandma. When GTY was away and ML was near labor, Stepmom plot plans against her, first by having Aunti Kang sending a concubine, which failed. After that she seeked out Manniang (the son was still alive). One thing after another and MN tried to assassinate ML but failed then the fire. GTY, after a while of consideration, decided to exile MN and warned Stepmom by killing the son of her right-hand-woman, which ML agreed to. Later when Daniang's maid was spying on the house (same as drama), Grandma got furious and scolded Daniang, which then lead to the poison case. Later when GTY arrived at the scene (this is similar to drama), he was so surprised seeing ML, who was usually so calm and reserved, lost it in rage. She did so many things that she shouldn't have done, like locking the house down, torturing the maids and threatening her father. She could have thought of a safer method to handle the matter. She then told GTY, Grandma needn't have to stressed things out with Daniang. The maid was actually a really small problem and it could be handled without causing a ruckus with Daniang. But bc Grandma cared about her too much that she didn't think it straight. Grandma was a wise lady and she should have known the best way to handle the problem, but when ML was being targeted all of her wisdom went down the drain and she would rush at anyone who tried to harm her. ML said when people cared too much they made mistake. GTY, on the other hand, was very clever and careful in dealing with the incident with ML. All of his aftermath solutions were calculated carefully to take out their enemies in the future. ML admitted that what he did would benefit them most. But if he truly cared for her than he wouldn't think it that clearly. ML asked him why he didn't burst out in rage, if he were to risk everything just to avenge her even knowing she was safe in the end. The proof of love wasn't how many right things he did for her, but how many stupid mistakes he would be willing to commit for her. GTY stayed silent and could not reply. In the end ML said let's just continue like this, she would be a proper wife and mother. GTY then watch her fall asleep without saying a word.

The beauty of these arguments is that it struck really hard into GTY's heart (and also the readers'). It pushed GTY into a realization of how wrong he was in viewing their relationship, how demanding he was of her and how his smart and cunning methods that he was proud of was backfiring at him. He realized that while he was criticizing her of holding back her emotions, he was also wearing a thick armor to protect himself and that there were no shortcuts nor bargaining in love.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, insertusernamehere said:

Wait, I thought the point was they both didn't really resolve the issue earlier, but finally did very clearly in the scene in the jail when GTY told ML they should have an amiable separation and ML refused.

GTY shows his feelings more clearly to ML in the show, so the real conflict there is more of GTY's insecurity and ML's emotional amour. GTY was very clear in that scene of his insecurities around his decision on making ML marry him. He wonders if it was better if ML married other people. ML finally said, for the first time ever (and not through logic), that she doesn't want to marry anyone else, she only wants to marry him.

The wording mirrors what was said by multiple people in the show (e.g., her 5th sister on her husband, both male leads about ML) earlier. ML had said in the past that it doesn't really matter who she marries, so it really showed that GTY's finally gained her heart.

Personally, I was satisfied with that resolution.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, arcchidus said:

Wait, I thought the point was they both didn't really resolve the issue earlier, but finally did very clearly in the scene in the jail when GTY told ML they should have an amiable separation and ML refused.

GTY shows his feelings more clearly to ML in the show, so the real conflict there is more of GTY's insecurity and ML's emotional amour. GTY was very clear in that scene of his insecurities around his decision on making ML marry him. He wonders if it was better if ML married other people. ML finally said, for the first time ever (and not through logic), that she doesn't want to marry anyone else, she only wants to marry him.

The wording mirrors what was said by multiple people in the show (e.g., her 5th sister on her husband, both male leads about ML) earlier. ML had said in the past that it doesn't really matter who she marries, so it really showed that GTY's finally gained her heart.

Personally, I was satisfied with that resolution.

Agree that was a resolution for GTY's insecurities, but I don't think it was a resolution for Minglan's lack of trust. There are two things going on here: we/GTY/ML don't know how ardently ML loves GTY (we can conclude that she definitely does!), and how much she is willing to "burden" him, to comfortably rely on him without worrying that it will make him tired of her. That I think was never cleanly resolved. That conversation about her not wanting to amicably separate didn't address completely her trust issue (I remember as far as ep 70 there was still one time she said she would take care of things herself instead of troubling GTY). I don't mean that GTY is right. Sometimes people are just fiercely independent and that's ok, it's not an indication of lack of trust or love. 

• Like 1