Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Characters like Molan and Aunti Kang are detestable, but I'm more angry at their parents, mothers who destroy their daughters' lives in the name of love and the near non-existent father roles. It makes me wonder how they would change if they had been raised and loved by someone similar to Grandma, or how ML would turn out if she hadn't grow up beside her. Many villains in this drama are just products of the era, how a distorted social system traps and drives people crazy. It's a system that can enlarge the darkness in human hearts and those with weak resolve and faulty moral compass will succumb to jealousy and greed. I hate them and at the same time pity them.

• Like 12
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, zenya22 said:

Agree, it does not make any sense.... any man would be so damn worried especially with a newborn baby... I would think if GTY was going to be happy it was because his wife, his baby and the rest of the family are safe and alive. When safety of the family is at stake, when wife and rest of family are facing danger, all petty concerns fly out the window. Same thing when a wife welcomes a husband who just faced danger, example gone to war and survived, she would just be happy to see her husband alive and well and nothing else matters. 

Actually, it's just only him that's still in trouble all this while, him asking for separation is to not let them be in trouble in the future after he is punished.. And for that scene, ML has not baged the drum and has not fainted, she only went to empress to plead for him.. So I will say him still being unconsciously happy she lost her composure for him while he is in danger still make sense here since it's like him being happy when he is in danger.. It's just a brief and fleeting happiness over a large sadness.. Just like a a little moment of happiness when they are so sorrowful .. Like 'hahahahhaha you actually do love me a lot but pretend not to, hmm what a little fox, then they take a deep breath to think about their sadness, and start talking again like' on a more serious note'... It's like a situation like that.. So it's not like the writer is bringing in happiness when they are in danger, it's like a moment of 'I'm OK' facade, a moment of 'I'm still laughing, teasing you and happy in this moment, so don't worry too much about me'.. The coming episodes will let us understand the more 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Saw raw epi 74..the court scene turned into a market brawl with the emperor dropping by in his gardener attire to get things in order...I couldn't help but laugh on how wittily they conveyed lack of seriousness in the matter from the ruling imperial family's end.

ED is skillfully being lured into the trap with GTY as bait.

Has GTY returned the official military seal or is it still with him? If not,then emperor is in cahoots with him.

MN had stabbed GTY then she went round town blaming him of taking way her children,killing her son and throwing her out after using her...

The matter was discussed among officials and they were pacified when GTY showed his stab wounds.So how did MN come again to repeat the discredited sob story?

Did the script writer forget the dialogues  that were delivered few episodes back?

Or MN was purposefully let out for Gu,Wang,Bai villains to utilize her..She is the weakest link in the chain...

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Suzzy San said:

Like 'hahahahhaha you actually do love me a lot but pretend not to, hmm

It does not make sense .... 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

32 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

Characters like Molan and Aunti Kang are detestable, but I'm more angry at their parents, mothers who destroy their daughters' lives in the name of love and the near non-existent father roles. It makes me wonder how they would change if they had been raised and loved by someone similar to Grandma, or how ML would turn out if she hadn't grow up beside her. Many villains in this drama are just products of the era, how a distorted social system traps and drives people crazy. It's a system that can enlarge the darkness in human hearts and those with weak resolve and faulty moral compass will succumb to jealousy and greed. I hate them and at the same time pity them.

Villainy is never entirely product of an era..it also has an element of human nature that indulges in it.Even if a person has a good upbringing they can turn to a life of crime.Molan and Aunt Kang are not product of neglect in the era.Contrarily they were treated better and received preferential treatment than their male siblings.

• Like 10

Some of you take things dont wrong way he is the one who keeps suffering and losing things.Some people cope in different ways.

Not saying she is not as well but he is getting all the the heat right now.

• Like 7

Thanks for the explanation @Golden Flower @leeza77

I can't say I'm impressed with his behaviour, be it gleeful or happy, as it just doesn't sound right to be happy when his wife is down on her knees begging and crying, but it could be because he doesn't know and realised that she went to that extent.. only knows she created a ruckus.. I haven't actually watch the episodes, just previews and comments from fellow chingus in this thread. 

So I'll refrain from commenting further until I've watched.. so that I wouldn't jump into conclusion and judge too quickly. 

@lclarakl welcome. Did you sleep considering you had to catch up 67 episodes?? :lol:

@linhlinh111 well said. I've always wondered how dangerous ML would be if she wasn't brought up by granny who taught her not just skills to survive, but also principles and morals in life. 

Considering her intelligence, she could be one helluva antagonist! 

So I do agree that parents have a major part to play in shaping their children, and have a role to play for their success and failure. 

Era, circumstances, upbringing, ingrained personality, all have a part to play in how each person turns out. 

The best part of the show is exactly that...that while some antagonists are despicable, they are also pitiful. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 3

10 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Thanks for the explanation @Golden Flower @leeza77

I can't say I'm impressed with his behaviour, be it gleeful or happy, as it just doesn't sound right to be happy when his wife is down on her knees begging and crying, but it could be because he doesn't know and realised that she went to that extent.. only knows she created a ruckus.. I haven't actually watch the episodes, just previews and comments from fellow chingus in this thread. 

So I'll refrain from commenting further until I've watched.. so that I wouldn't jump into conclusion and judge too quickly. 

@lclarakl welcome. Did you sleep considering you had to catch up 67 episodes?? :lol:

@linhlinh111 well said. I've always wondered how dangerous ML would be if she wasn't brought up by granny who taught her not just skills to survive, but also principles and morals in life. 

Considering her intelligence, she could be one helluva antagonist! 

So I do agree that parents have a major part to play in shaping their children, and have a role to play for their success and failure. 

Era, circumstances, upbringing, ingrained personality, all have a part to play in how each person turns out. 

The best part of the show is exactly that...that while some antagonists are despicable, they are also pitiful. 

ML is dangerous even with granny by her side.She made CL die a painful death by withholding medicinal supply to her severe wounds..Was ready to kill older Ms.Kang only to be persuaded by old Madam Sheng to withdraw.As you rightly said the show does display human nature quite well.Even antagonists are given the humane touch.The protagonist also carry deep flaws. No one is painted unrealistically white.Even righteous CB doesn't escape.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sava2sava said:

@minglan1  Why is Molan so hell bent on interfering with Minglan matters.. I know it has to be more then her mom tablet reasons.. Even if it steems from jealousy what difference would it make.. It's not like she could marry GTY herself.. Wouldn't it be better for her to accept her Lil Sister married higher then her and to keep a good family relationship with her for the future of her children sake rather then continue to make more of and enemy to Minglan..  

I also thought the writing was a bit weak on this. With Aunty Kang she wanted the influence and wealth of the Shengs at her disposal and she had the love and backing of her maiden family.

MoL is supposed to be smart but why go through all that just for petty jealousy? She is already an outsider with the Shengs. If Kang had succeeded,  then GTY would have wanted her life and who would defend her? With the stakes so high, the writers' should have built up MoL's motive to be more convincing. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, minglan1 said:

ML is dangerous even with granny by her side.She made CL die a painful death by withholding medicinal supply to her severe wounds..Was ready to kill older Ms.Kang only to be persuaded by old Madam Sheng to withdraw.As you rightly said the show does display human nature quite well.Even antagonists are given the humane touch.The protagonist also carry deep flaws. No one is painted unrealistically white.Even righteous CB doesn't escape.

Exactly! As she rightly said, when the pain is on others it's easy to be generous and sympathetic, but when the pain is on self, all compassion goes out the window. 

She didn't even flinch when she torture Mdm Kang's people for confession. 

And the way she had her revenge of CL, cold. 

Can u imagine if what she's capable of, with her intelligence, and her astuteness, if she didn't have granny as her moral compass?

Show did exceptionally showing that no one is saint. No one is all forgiving, because they are only human. Flawed.

They bear grudges, they give an eye for an eye. 

No one waits for karma to do their job...

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Katrina Abdul Talib said:

@lclarakl a warm hello fm me too.. 

After seeing what happened to her late mum n stepmom, I am sure Molan knew her father and CB will not go easy on her. 

Molan has too much pride.. who knows she may hang herself (not out of self pity but to spite everyone?)

@Katrina Abdul Talib, hello chingu!! It's been a long time.

To be honest, I expected the father to still be grieving Molan's mothers death. He got over it fairly quickly.  Molan does have a lot of pride and she's also very selfish. She only does things that make her happy with no regards to how it will impact everyone in the long run. 

When she was trying to get her brother to tell her about the poisoning of their grandmother, he told her that she will never be happy.  She's so busy trying to compete against others that she can't enjoy her life.

@m0us3y, No, I didn't get any sleep.....:lol: It was too addictive for me to stop. Thanks for the welcome!! I'm glad to be here. It's a great thread!

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

2 hours ago, zenya22 said:

It does not make sense .... 

Hmm, I think it's now upto understanding, for me, it actually consistent considering GTY's character, he is someone that won't show his sadness and will take the light part of the matter and turn it to humor in order to release tension.. And I think that's what the writer was going, everything was becoming too serious, and GTY is known for jokingly lessening the gravity of seriousness in the show like he did for the land case, that ML got angry over .. So it's not that he isn't sad about the predicaments ML is going through, he is rather afraid, sad, sorrowful but wants to make sure her own anxious and worried state is lessened

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Exactly! As she rightly said, when the pain is on others it's easy to be generous and sympathetic, but when the pain is on self, all compassion goes out the window. 

Can u imagine if what she's capable of, with her intelligence, and her astuteness, if she didn't have granny as her moral compass?

Show did exceptionally showing that no one is saint. No one is all forgiving, because they are only human. Flawed.

I have to admit that ML is my favorite female lead in a drama. I don't think of her as dangerous in the sense of someone who is unreasonable, but more as a person who lives by the code: "An eye for an eye" or "A life for a life".  As a child, if she saw unfair behavior, she immediately called attention to it and so did her other sister.  However, her grandmother taught her to be a proper lady, but ML's strong desire for revenge against those who killed her mother made her learn patience's and how to keep a secret---even from her grandmother. She pretended to not be that smart so others would let their guard down around her.

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

I am still on the fence about grandma being moral compass.The way she was kept in the dark about ML's scheming and the girl's steadfast refusal to divulge.I think it's her own belief system that she uses as her compass.If she feels an advise is reasonable she might adhere/in corporate but it's not gauranteed. 

She went with granny's advise on Aunt Kang because the old lady was the victim.Old Madam Sheng's views take precedence in her own matter.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

I'm not sure but based on my knowledge on historical practices, unless her father openly disowns her (which he won't do cuz it will stir up a public scandal), he has to take her back. Not only that, to avoid public eye the divorce will be done as quiet as possible. What he does to her after that though, is behind closed doors. It can either be being grounded or exiled for life. Or he can give a signal to her husband to kill her off in silence (I don't think he would do that but possible). All and all, they will deal with it underground.

These are 2 methods that are usually used in this kind of situation if both parties are smart. Another stupid method is that the husband kicks her out while the father refuses to take her back. Letting her loose is usually the root to another trouble.

@LinhLinh  Thanks for giving me the explanation on why concubines was a must then.. 

Your right letting Molan a loose to wreck havoc on peoples lives will be worst then Aunt Kang wrecking havoc.. If she's divorced I could see her under house arrest at the farm but thats still not fool proof.. But sending her there and feed her posion would be a good way for her to go.. She can reside at the farm with her mom since they both can't be placed in the temple.. The sinister women, I kind of feel sorry for the brother and his new born daughter..

3 hours ago, zenya22 said:

@Golden FlowerAll his property and the Gu manor will be taken back by the emperor as imperial property? Then Madam Qin will have no place to stay then? Will she be driven out of the Gu Manor in that case? Could she not have foreseen that? It would be so nice to see Madam Qin thrown out if that were to happen?

@zenya22  Now I'm not following this.. How can the courts take his personal property that he inherited from his mothers family.. this sounds a lil shady to me.. It seems like they want his salt mines from the Bai family.. The court only supposed to take the property that rewarded him with.. So is this how they going to brake up the houses.. This sounds like something Step Mom and the Ed came up with.. I have seen historical dramas where men fall out of the graces of the court but managed tio stay in there wealthy homes because of there own personal property.. 

The big question is do they ever finds out that all went there screaming he killed and innocent person was lying.. It would have been better if they blamed the killing on Ming Lan she could have gotten away with it.. 

2 hours ago, minglan1 said:

Villainy is never entirely product of an era..it also has an element of human nature that indulges in it.Even if a person has a good upbringing they can turn to a life of crime.Molan and Aunt Kang are not product of neglect in the era.Contrarily they were treated better and received preferential treatment than their male siblings.

@minglan1  Aunt Kang is the product of Old Mdm she has raised her to believe she can do no wrong, Whatever she did was right when all knew it was wrong.. This is why SH said no wonder her villianess acts are getting worst as she commits them.. She did what she did because she knew mom and brother would hold up the sky for her.. Big Mdm never taught her to fear the gods because in her mind there was no gods to give her retirbution but it was there in her face she just didn't recognize it.. ( her husband and all his Shu children from the girls to the boys) She seen herslf as a god and was allowed to do whatever she liked.. I think she got this trait from her mom.. 

When it came to Old Mdm, She went to the ED to see if she still carried any weight in the court since she just moved back..       

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Finally caught up to ep.63. ML is just too awesome. People dont deserve her mercy. The Aunt Kang/Poison Arc is so good. ML can definitely be a detective in ancient times. She's so intuitive & insightful as always. Was ZLY pregnant during these episodes? She seems to have the pregnancy glow. I love how ML  handles everything seamlessly while pregnant. Total bad@$$, while walking like a cute penguin & also, ML w/a sword B). Aunt Kang deserves to get flogged to her deathbed. Hopefully Madame Qin will be next to get whipped.

Seeing ML teary as TY leaves for salt patrol makes me :tears:. I love ML interacting w/Ronger & Xian er. So cute. ML & Grandma's relationship is so endearing. The best relationship in this drama, besides her relationship w/TY. Sheng/Madame Sheng doesn't deserve ML. They are both so moronic, it baffles me that their 3 kids came out decent/kind. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

Finally watched up to ep.63.ML is just too awesome. People dont deserve her mercy. The Aunt Kang/Poison Arc is so good. ML can defintely be a detective in ancient times. She's so intuitive & insightful. Was ZLY

pregnant during these episodes? She seems to have the pregnancy glow. I love how ML handles everything seamlessly while pregnant. Total bad@$$, while walking like a cute penguin. ML w/a sword B). Aunt Kang deserves to get flogged to her deathbed. Hopefully Madame Qin will be next to get whipped.

Seeing ML teary as TY leaves for salt patrol makes me :tears:. I love ML interacting w/Ronger & Xian er. So cute. ML & Grandma's relationship is so endearing. The best relationship in this drama, besides her relationship w/TY. Sheng/Madame Sheng doesn't deserve ML. They are both so moronic, it baffles me that their 3 kids came out decent/kind. 

Lol..I had the same thought about SH and Big Madam's kids few episodes back.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, minglan1 said:

Lol..I had the same thought about SH and Big Madam's kids few episodes back.

I'm so happy that ML had Grandma all those years ago & now. Seeing ML cry for Grandma made me teary. These few episodes have been great. I love the focus on ML's character. She's so resilient. I'm just a tad nervous on how everything else will be resolved. So much political upheaval has happened. I've been avoiding the thread to avoid spoilers. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

I'm so happy that ML had Grandma all those years ago up & to now. Seeing ML cry for Grandma made me teary. These few episodes have been great. I'm just so nervous how everything else will be resolved. So much political upheaval has happened. I've been avoiding the thread to avoid spoilers. 

We are splitting hairs trying to crack the plot :lol:.Gran and granddaughter are a lovely duo.I love their banter about love sickness when they miss each other.

Kitchen politics has moved to palace politicking.We should have a poll on  eve of ending- Who plots better the women or men?:P

• Like 2
  • LOL 5