Quantcast
Jump to content
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Recommended Posts

I had a little bit more sympathy for Molan and Concubine Lin in episode 33. Of course, I don't agree with any of their actions towards other women,  but you could really get a sense of how their livelihoods were fragile and depended on the men around them. Once they stepped on Sheng Hong's bottom line, one lost her life and the other was basically disowned. While these outcomes are a consequence of their own actions, you gotta wonder what life would have been like for Concubine Lin, who might be a better politician than her husband, and Molan, who just might be cleverer than her 3rd brother. If they had been men, even if their wily characters remained the same, perhaps their outcomes would have been different. 

 

I teared up a little bit when ML confessed her schemes to Zumu. And, appreciated that Zumu's final response was an apology to ML for not seeking justice for her from the very beginning, thus forcing her to undertake the revenge alone. ML had already given her father opportunities to redeem himself, he just didn't take them...ultimately, the outcomes of the women around him are partly his fault too.  

 

Despite some of the changes to ML as a character, I am very much enjoying the show. That is, I appreciate that ML hides her intelligence, boldness, and anger. I feel that this is much more accurate response of women living under a restrictive time period. This allows me to be convinced by her survival and ultimate victory. Speaking of intelligence, boldness, and anger, this is why I couldn't stand the characterization of Wei Yingluo in Yan Xi Gong...SORRY OT. I will say that ML is increasingly starting to reveal the "protagonist's halo"...but hey it's episode 30+ now anyway. 

  • Like 12
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dito said:

 

Hualan will have a hard time for a while.

  Hide contents

 

Her MIL is slowly draining away Hualan's dowry. Then whenever she gets mad at Hualan she makes demands and the Sheng family have to send something expensive to pacify her. Hualan's son almost got burned coz he was left alone by the MIL in the room with a burning stove. His little sister was passing by and saw her brother about to get burned so jumped in front of him and saved him. She ended up getting burned instead and had scars on her arms and hands....her brother too got a bit burned. He got scarred near his eye. After that Hualan had enough and begged her husband to get her child back. But her MIL still kept making trouble. She was taking money from other daughter in law too. Situation became that Hualan and her kids wore old mended clothes. And she had nothing new to wear on her sisters wedding. She had to sell one of her jewelry for the money.

After ML and GTY marriage, Hualan used to come visit ML frequently. So ML gave her an idea to get a concubine for her Father in law....so that her MIL will have no time to bully the Daughters in law. Concubine quickly became the favorite and started helping Hualan handle the Mother in law....by getting the father in law involved.

I think I skipped Hualan's chapters coz I don't remember this at all....but I recently read this on the spoiler site so just posting it here.

 

 

Spoiler


Im glad Hualan gets some help i really feel alot of sympathy for her, sad its after more suffering. 

 

2 hours ago, linhlinh111 said:

 

 

Based on effort alone, GTY can never compare to QH. Cuz he never suffers, sacrifices or risking that much for ML. And he gave her up in a situation where (everyone has to agree) there were no other way out (and please with GTY's solution, it was ridiculous and would place everyone in a greater danger). Unlike what most viewers think from the conversation between QH and GTY, I think QH did the right thing while GTY was being unreasonable and impulsive. After all GTY didn't get her fair and square either. QH just didn't figure out the right method, but he had good intentions. QH failed, doesn't mean he was all wrong, GTY succeeded, doesn't mean he was all right (in their relationships with ML). I have to say the author made it pretty easy for him in getting ML.

 

Your saying GTY never suffer's so losing his mother when young , his father's death which was blamed on him. His hate from his brother , betrayal by step mother also Betrayal by MN.. Son is kidnapped.

 

If were talking about suffering hes had is way worse then ML and QH and its not even close its just that hes strong to deal with it and wont break down.

 

 

1 hour ago, artbox said:

 

 

Maybe a lot of people admire GTY for his fearlessness. But isn’t QH’s loyalty to family or sacrifice equally admirable especially for QH’s parents? I don’t think we should cheapen his efforts at trying to do what’s right by Ming Lan AND his family with the principles and teachings he believed were also right just because his method was successful at one thing and failed at another. When GTY asked QH if he’d like to do things as he suggested, with the kidnapping, could he just easily shed more than a decade’s worth of belief/upbringing and feel confident that the plot would work. Maybe he didn’t believe GTY’s assurances.

 

 

 

I dont think QH's loyalty to his parents is admirable , he basically lost his brother Buwei and His love and he basically did nothing against his parents this show's how weak he is. 

 

1 hour ago, JoycceeDreamer said:

 

I agree... I also felt a sense of pity for Molan. Very naive...and very sad. It's all about the "what ifs"... Cause if she did not have her mother's influence, she may be different. If Grandma or Big Madam had kicked Concubine Lin out or not let Lin raised any of her children.. I don't think we would get this kind of story. Molan was blinded from wanting to beat her sisters and because of this... she did not see the problem that the Liang family is having internally that they are out looking for a potential daughter-in-law. 

 

As for ML, she's smart and she got the fish to bite her bait. I understand her reason for revenge and why she plan what she did but... I just kinda wish it wasn't ML's plan because she knew very well what was going to happen to Molan...I want to believe that maybe ML think that Molan would be as cunning or more worst than Concubine Lin and be able to handle the Liangs but... as everyone already kinda know what will happen to Molan already. yeah yeah yeah... it's not all ML's fault but I guess we reap what we sow. 

 

 

 

I feel 0 pity for Molan she wanted to ruin her sisters life this girl can suffer in hell for all i care and im sure ML knew what the Liangs are like which is why she never wanted to go there. Molan does not deserve happiness. 

  • Like 5
  • LOL 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deslynn88 said:

First of all, thank you all for posting on this forum.  I'm totally obsessed with this show right now and thrilled to find so many other people enjoying it too.

 

I haven't read the novel so there are some parts that I'm kinda lost about. 

 

1.  ML suppose to be 14/15 when they transition into adulthood in the drama?  How old is GTY's character? 

 

2.  During the Molan/ Madam Lin scandal, how come there was no mention or appearance of the two brothers at all?  It's like the author just forgot about them or am I missing something?  Seems odd that such a big scandal is rocking the family and they aren't part of the discussions.

 

3.  Some of you have mentioned that GTY is a schemer but I haven't really seen that much of it yet in the drama.  Seems like he's the one being manipulated by his mistress and his step-mother.  Is that part different than the novel?

 

Thanks all!

 

1. I think GTY was about 20-21....not sure but he was about 6-7 years older than ML maybe more.

 

2. I think most likely reason is because it was a delicate matter thats why the brothers were kept away....but father as the decision maker and the head of the family had to be present.

 

3. Because he spent maybe a year or more planning and putting in action his grand scheme to get ML....and it was executed flawlessly. I think he deserves his title of master schemer. 

And yes it was in the novel. We might see some of it in the drama.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, crackaddict said:

I had a little bit more sympathy for Molan and Concubine Lin in episode 33. Of course, I don't agree with any of their actions towards other women,  but you could really get a sense of how their livelihoods were fragile and depended on the men around them. Once they stepped on Sheng Hong's bottom line, one lost her life and the other was basically disowned. While these outcomes are a consequence of their own actions, you gotta wonder what life would have been like for Concubine Lin, who might be a better politician than her husband, and Molan, who just might be cleverer than her 3rd brother. If they had been men, even if their wily characters remained the same, perhaps their outcomes would have been different. 

 

I teared up a little bit when ML confessed her schemes to Zumu. And, appreciated that Zumu's final response was an apology to ML for not seeking justice for her from the very beginning, thus forcing her to undertake the revenge alone. ML had already given her father opportunities to redeem himself, he just didn't take them...ultimately, the outcomes of the women around him are partly his fault too.  

 

I feel no sympathy for their greed , Lin was already lucky to have shengs love and Molan was spoiled they have lived good life's and that was going to continue but they are just greedy and deserve everything they got.

 

If they were Men i dont think they would have lived long with those scheme's, and Granny is just amazing in episode and 32 and 33 i just love her so much.

 

When you kill someone and the baby , try to ruin your sisters life's you can burn for all i care you have 0 sympathy from me for being greedy , lets stop acting like they were suffering or something. 

 

Also if Lin was smarter she would not have been caught like this, also there is a reason why no-one helped Molan when she was in trouble/will in trouble. She could have doomed the whole sheng family with her scheme's. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lilkat75 said:

Did anyone find Sheng Hong's reaction hilarious in episode 32 when he caught Molan red-handed? :w00t: That scream lol :joy:

Yes, but his reaction was perfect for the scene.... haha 

9 hours ago, leeza77 said:

I like xiatao attitude. Very protective and compassionate towards ML. When ml cried on the ship, she accompanied ML and sang to her (bad voice.. Ha ha) and when she saw qh and his wife at the monastery, she tried to prevent ml from seeing them. 

Same they think she is dumb but she is just following her master style. Hahaha and I love how tiny she was when she was a kid and now she is tall and plump. You can tell like her master she is well fed compared to the other maids. Lol They have a good life with their master so can see why they would always be grateful to her.

 

8 hours ago, sava2sava said:

@tomo74  Molan did something very stupid.. Madam Wu still was willingly to take her in with the exception of Ming lan being the first wife.. Her mom never thought of this her daughter could become the concubine in such house.. The older two sisters never told her the facts of the marriage talk but once Mdm Wu had to take her in of course she wasn't all to happy about having and unchaste daughter in law.. Mdm Wu may have told her son how can he be so sure that she was chaste when he slept with her.. If she willingly and so daring to sleep with him at a temple she showing and all the other nobles and his family that her chasity was tainted before marriage.. So of course Mdm Wu would make life hell for her because now she has tainted their home also..

I’m not sure if Madam winter would deliberately make her life a hell or she would lower herself like hualan’s mother in law. But I think she just wouldn’t care nor help Molan in trying to control the harem. That’s why she was looking for someone like Minglan who can take that headache from her. Someone who can have control since she said to her son she doesn’t care who he has in his bed as long as he gets a proper wife. Knowing Molan, she won’t be able to handle the harem. And that’ll be her karma. 

 

@Golden Flower

i agree with what you said and also with the typecasting. I guess my point was for a actor that is not well known to get any project is better than none until they make it big and have an option to take on/choice better roles in the future. Just like when YangZi said she wanted to try different roles before but the only roles she could take was same that was offered to her. Now she made it big and I’m sure she’ll be able to diversify her roles.... 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

Yes, but his reaction was perfect for the scene.... haha 

Same they think she is dumb but she is just following her master style. Hahaha and I love how tiny she was when she was a kid and now she is tall and plump. You can tell like her master she is well fed compared to the other maids. Lol They have a good life with their master so can see why they would always be grateful to her.

 

I’m not sure if Madam winter would deliberately make her life a hell or she would lower herself like hualan’s mother in law. But I think she just wouldn’t care nor help Molan in trying to control the harem. That’s why she was looking for someone like Minglan who can take that headache from her. Someone who can have control since she said to her son she doesn’t care who he has in his bed as long as he gets a proper wife. Knowing Molan, she won’t be able to handle the harem. And that’ll be her karma. 

 

@Golden Flower

i agree with what you said and also with the typecasting. I guess my point was for a actor that is not well known to get any project is better than none until they make it big and have an option to take on/choice better roles in the future. Just like when YangZi said she wanted to try different roles before but the only roles she could take was same that was offered to her. Now she made it big and I’m sure she’ll be able to diversify her roles.... 

 

Xiaotao is the little ML haha people think shes dumb when shes playing these dumb people, Molon will be like the sheng mother she will have "power" but the concubine will have the love. I bet Yan Zi is happy he picked this drama considering its bigger then anything else hes done.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the QH young lord passed in the next round of imperial exams, but what else is his mother saying to him?

 

39 Preview

Edited by kadie
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, artbox said:

 

I think GTY has his impulsive moments, but not all the time (i.e. going off as Bai Ye with his daughter until Ming Lan talked some sense into him). Maybe he's just not impulsive towards Ming Lan so far. 

 

I know we all like it in the drama but GTY using Rulan felt the same as Ming Lan using her Second Older Brother (at least she disliked it afterwards). If the scholar turned out to be an unpleasant person then we can't confidently say no one was harmed. I don't want to put GTY in a pedestal. We only see his scheme succeeding and Rulan bring happy but in truth, at the moment he made those decisions what certainty did he have that it was best for Rulan? It was only good for him, and it was as Rulan wanted but neither of them know really if she had the best future with the scholar. :P

 

 

Muum, i think the encounter and falling into love of Rulan and the scholar were not schemed by GTY. That was purely mutual affection of them own. Just fate (The drama made it more obvious than in the novel). Honestly speaking, the chance of Rulan getting into an unpleasant marriage with this scholar or with any other candidates were the same. There were no guarantee anyway. Look at Hualan. At least she would be happy for staying with the one she loved. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler

In gty conversations with cb he actually didn't say that he wanted to marry rulan. He just say he loved cb's sister and cb asked which sister. Gty said naturally the beautiful one. Cb misunderstood he meant for rulan thus told the parents so. Ml told rulan about gty wanted to marry rulan andd rulan said better he married you. But ml said he didn't want me. Did it mean that ml has gty in his heart already??? 

 

  • Like 6
  • LOL 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too don’t feel any sympathy for Molan and Concubine Lin. :lol: unlike how I felt pity for MN as of now. We’ll see later if she makes a comeback. 

 

For one, they reap what they sow. They are pitiful but I’m not sympathetic. First of all Concubine Lin had a chance to become a proper main wife but she didn’t want to be with a poor man thus she did a Manniang style to Sheng Hong, pretending to be pitiful. She never cared about him, she just cared about money. Sure it could be about life and death for some of these woman but it wasn’t as if she would starve to death had they both married the other man. They were just greedy for money and status like mother and daughter.

The father chose a suitable partner for Molan but all they cared about is how poor he was despite the father saying he has a promising career which will ultimately make them very fortunate in the future. But nope they want self gratification right now and they don’t want to bet on chances. Not even meeting the guy. 

Hualan thought Molan became who she was being raised by her mother but it was just the way she was. And it’s true. She was always trying hard to be the center of attention, she always wanted to outdo her sisters. She even with her real brother only cared about herself and her future... She always throws fits if she didn’t get what she wants. She is a very jealous person. Sheng Hong doting on them must be because of Concubine Lin acting pitiful that they are just concubines and don’t have great fortune as a main wife. This causing him to neglect Big Madam. But now he realizes all the love he gave to them was in vain.

All the evil deeds they did they must pay for.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, havennoah30 said:

did QH wife and family died?

Yep.  They were slained during the rebellion inside the palace.

8 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

In gty conversations with cb he actually didn't say that he wanted to marry rulan. He just say he loved cb's sister and cb asked which sister. Gty said naturally the beautiful one. Cb misunderstood he meant for rulan thus told the parents so. Ml told rulan about gty wanted to marry rulan andd rulan said better he married you. But ml said he didn't want me. Did it mean that ml has gty in his heart already??? 

 

This trailer got me so cracked up...it was funny seeing all their reactions.  CB got the wrong end of the stick.  GTY was trying to give heavy hints without mentioning the name thinking that his friend would understand.  LOLLLLLLLLL  And the father said something like "But they way you described, it seems like it is Minglan not Rulan...."  

  • Like 6
  • LOL 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

In gty conversations with cb he actually didn't say that he wanted to marry rulan. He just say he loved cb's sister and cb asked which sister. Gty said naturally the beautiful one. Cb misunderstood he meant for rulan thus told the parents so. Ml told rulan about gty wanted to marry rulan andd rulan said better he married you. But ml said he didn't want me. Did it mean that ml has gty in his heart already??? 

 

 

Omg i love it hes such a trickster.

 

4 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

I too don’t feel any sympathy for Molan and Concubine Lin. :lol: unlike how I felt pity for MN as of now. We’ll see later if she makes a comeback. 

 

For one, they reap what they sow. They are pitiful but I’m not sympathetic. First of all Concubine Lin had a chance to become a proper main wife but she didn’t want to be with a poor man thus she did a Manniang style to Sheng Hong, pretending to be pitiful. She never cared about him, she just cared about money. Sure it could be about life and death for some of these woman but it wasn’t as if she would starve to death had they both married the other man. They were just greedy for money and status like mother and daughter.

The father chose a suitable partner for Molan but all they cared about is how poor he was despite the father saying he has a promising career which will ultimately make them very fortunate in the future. But nope they want self gratification right now and they don’t want to bet on chances. Not even meeting the guy. 

Hualan thought Molan became who she was being raised by her mother but it was just the way she was. And it’s true. She was always trying hard to be the center of attention, she always wanted to outdo her sisters. She even with her real brother only cared about herself and her future... She always throws fits if she didn’t get what she wants. She is a very jealous person. Sheng Hong doting on them must be because of Concubine Lin acting pitiful that they are just concubines and don’t have great fortune as a main wife. This causing him to neglect Big Madam. But now he realizes all the love he gave to them was in vain.

All the evil deeds they did they must pay for.

 

I feel no pity for Any of them including MN am i heartless or something, i wonder what the 3rd brother does and thinks of all this.. his Mother died and sister in another house what does he do.

 

I feel Pity for Big Madam for having to suffer humiliation at the hands of Sheng and Lin. 

 

  • Like 2
  • LOL 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, frenchfan said:

Yep.  They were slained during the rebellion inside the palace.

This trailer got me so cracked up...it was funny seeing all their reactions.  CB got the wrong end of the stick.  GTY was trying to give heavy hints without mentioning the name thinking that his friend would understand.  LOLLLLLLLLL  And the father said something like "But they way you described, it seems like it is Minglan not Rulan...."  

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

In gty conversations with cb he actually didn't say that he wanted to marry rulan. He just say he loved cb's sister and cb asked which sister. Gty said naturally the beautiful one. Cb misunderstood he meant for rulan thus told the parents so. Ml told rulan about gty wanted to marry rulan andd rulan said better he married you. But ml said he didn't want me. Did it mean that ml has gty in his heart already??? 

 

I think that in drama they will change the reason GTY schemes. Even when he was speaking with the emperor he never mentioned Rulan. I think GTY realizes later that CB mistook for Rulan and then starts scheming to get Minglan because of CB’s mistake. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, havennoah30 said:

 

Ha ha.. The father knows ml better. 

  • Like 3
  • LOL 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, frenchfan said:

Yep.  They were slained during the rebellion inside the palace.

This trailer got me so cracked up...it was funny seeing all their reactions.  CB got the wrong end of the stick.  GTY was trying to give heavy hints without mentioning the name thinking that his friend would understand.  LOLLLLLLLLL  And the father said something like "But they way you described, it seems like it is Minglan not Rulan...."  

was the lady was related to the one committed suicide hang herself?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, kadie said:

Looks like the QH young lord passed in the next round of imperial exams, but what else is his mother saying to him?

 

39 Preview

I think the mom said that she understood what QH wanted and would speak with Sheng family...meaning try and ask for ML.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello All. Can someone please translate these two previews. 37 & 38

Spoiler

 

 

 

Spoiler

I had to crack up at dad and mom when the brother told them secong uncles like ML.. Dad almost choke mom just about fell off the bed:w00t:

Boy subs are copming like snails. I hate when I start a serious early on I get so interested in it makes me angry with myself for starting at the begaining.. 

I really curious to what GTY sickly brother and the two faced step mom conversation..

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it petty of me to want QH's mom to ask for Minglan's hand after she becomes betrothed to GTY? It's a nice payback for the way she kinda low-key humiliated Minglan and her grandma with those pearls...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×