Quantcast
Jump to content
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

That's why they will both be very powerful couple! Both have great foresight! 

GTY plans for 5 moves ahead, 3 moves backwards, ML planned for 6-7 years ahead! :D

 

That's why she told GTY she cannot judge Rong'er 's happiness on that moment alone.

 

I am really liking how they build the relationship between ML-GTY out of trust and a solid base, and then love. 

 

GTY really listens to her. And all their interactions show that they know each other so well. Including the fact that he's still a foot soldier cuz he must have been too proud and hence angered the general. Or he must have achieved too much victory too fast! :lol:

 

Just the way they can speak so frankly and comfortably with each other....from "why are you still a foot soldier?" To the toast because "I admire you". :wub:

Spoiler

And gty said to her you too can do anything you want. But ML said no i can't. Gty insisted yes you can.. and the servant came and interrupted them. I keep on guessing what gty wanted to say to ML at the time. Maybe 'if u marry me"??? Ha ha.. Not likely but it will be nice shock to ML. :P

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 6
  • LOL 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's go back to the begining, the current emperor had no direct heirs. So there are two candidates in line to the throne. Prince Yong is the one with many concubines who gave loads of sons and one daughter. The other is the General Zhou Gu Te Ye saved both father and son in an ambush.

 

Prince Yong is seen as the hot favourite to suceed the throne. General Zhou did the wise thing and stayed away from the capital from the palace intrigues. Because of this Peince Yong thinks he is all powerful and even got rid of Miss Rong who was in talks with Qi Heng's family as a potential bride, just because his own daughter fancied Qi Heng.

 

The Emperor always ask who side his ministers are with and remember Ming Lan's father gave a neutral answer that saved his life.

 

Qi Heng's mother is fearful as they are a noble family based on bloodline but of no substance. Qi Heng laughed at his fate that he compared his fate to that of the famous beauties sent to bring down dynasties.

 

So it is a matter of betting on the right horse.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jackie1048 said:

Let's go back to the begining, the current emperor had no direct heirs. So there are two candidates in line to the throne. Prince Yong is the one with many concubines who gave loads of sons and one daughter. The other is the General Zhou Gu Te Ye saved both father and son in an ambush.

 

Prince Yong is seen as the hot favourite to suceed the throne. General Zhou did the wise thing and stayed away from the capital from the palace intrigues. Because of this Peince Yong thinks he is all powerful and even got rid of Miss Rong who was in talks with Qi Heng's family as a potential bride, just because his own daughter fancied Qi Heng.

 

The Emperor always ask who side his ministers are with and remember Ming Lan's father gave a neutral answer that saved his life.

 

Qi Heng's mother is fearful as they are a noble family based on bloodline but of no substance. Qi Heng laughed at his fate that he compared his fate to that of the famous beauties sent to bring down dynasties.

 

So it is a matter of betting on the right horse.

Spoiler

Even if it's a bet, it still require wisdom and knowledge. Qi heng family bet on the wrong horse because they lack of wisdom abd insight, whilst gty chose the right one because his wisdom and insight. 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

That's why they will both be very powerful couple! Both have great foresight! 

GTY plans for 5 moves ahead, 3 moves backwards, ML planned for 6-7 years ahead! :D

 

That's why she told GTY she cannot judge Rong'er 's happiness on that moment alone.

 

I am really liking how they build the relationship between ML-GTY out of trust and a solid base, and then love. 

GTY really listens to her. And all their interactions show that they know each other so well. Including the fact that he's still a foot soldier cuz he must have been too proud and hence angered the general. Or he must have achieved too much victory too fast! :lol:

 

Just the way they can speak so frankly and comfortably with each other....from "why are you still a foot soldier?" To the toast because "I admire you". :wub:

 

I actually think the drama version of their relationship is tons better than the book version. We can see their feelings slowly building. Their trust and admiration growing with each meeting. Book really didn't do justice to both these characters. Even after marriage they didn't really trust each other entirely until very near the end.  

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

whilst gty chose the right one because his wisdom and insight.

 

And a whole lot of luck, if I remember it right they both didn't use their real names. So they both don't know who the other person really is.

I think GTY will meet them again and help them in some way.....now that he is on his way to the war.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dito said:

 

I actually think the drama version of their relationship is tons better than the book version. We can see their feelings slowly building. Their trust and admiration growing with each meeting. Book really didn't do justice to both these characters. Even after marriage they didn't really trust each other entirely until very near the end.  

Yeah. I've read earlier about that on the novel too. 

But it seems like because of their childhood meeting, there are most trust between the 2 than with anyone else. 

 

ESP when ML openly told him about the mom's death, and the fact every family member turned their back on her then. 

 

It's also quite funny that despite everything, they would always help each other.  

Like how GTY secretly helped her all the way when she was away from the capital, and it was funny when GTY mentioned that she should run now because the ppl after him are here, and her first reaction was "do U want me to help you hold the spear?" :lol:

Not sure how that would help, but she sure tried! 

 

And how GTY would tell her that he's leaving for the south for battle (which was where she said he should head to to get promoted quicker!) and she quickly wishes him all the best and be careful. 

 

And they talk in codes too! :D

 

That's the kind of rapport that I don't see between ML and QH. 

  • Like 12
  • LOL 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dito said:

 

And a whole lot of luck, if I remember it right they both didn't use their real names. So they both don't know who the other person really is.

I think GTY will meet them again and help them in some way.....now that he is on his way to the war.

Spoiler

In ep 28, the rep of the general xie came to gty house invite him to join him and he agreed to the invitation. He was also given a high position in the troupe. He might be lucky, but without ability and talent, he will not be regarded so high by the general

 

 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, m0us3y said:
  Hide contents

 

Actually, I second @ForgottenSoulx

I think the drum scene was ML trying to save GTY..

I remember watching that too.. There was a scene that ML knocking on the drum, with the background voiceover saying she's here for the husband (or something along the line), and another scene, with her dressed as GTY wife, was visiting GTY in jail? 

It didn't show his full face, but it looks like GTY alright. Found it. 

It's trailer no.4 in Viki. That's a darn good trailer, showing the other side of ML.

 

Also wasnt there a scene where GTY, as a foot soldier and ML sending him off? I was thinking could it be the "punishment" after he got released from prison. 

 

Spoiler

Rewatching the trailer it seems so. I don’t find this a good change because in the book one of the best parts was them being at the top  and fighting from the top. I guess it would be a way to show her fighting for him, protecting him but I liked he was loved by the Emperor.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

In ep 28, the rep of the general xie came to gty house invite him to join him and he agreed to the invitation. He was also given a high position in the troupe. He might be lucky, but without ability and talent, he will not be regarded so high by the general

 

 

So it was the general he saved that invited him to join his army? 

I thought it was his old useless general. Lol

 

So he actually ditched his old general after saving ML the second time?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fra8 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Rewatching the trailer it seems so. I don’t find this a good change because in the book one of the best parts was them being at the top  and fighting from the top. I guess it would be a way to show her fighting for him, protecting him but I liked he was loved by the Emperor.

 

Does that mean in the novel ML never got to help/save GTY? 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Does that mean in the novel ML never got to help/save GTY? 

She helped him a lot fighting his family. But not in that big way. He was always at the top in his career as far as I remember.

however I read the book skipping because I used google translate. I can’t read Chinese, I just understand and speak it.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

So it was the general he saved that invited him to join his army? 

I thought it was his old useless general. Lol

 

So he actually ditched his old general after saving ML the second time?

Spoiler

Well as advised by ml, he can't ascend to a higher position if he just stay at the back in yongyang. He must march to the front to be successful. Besides, the stupid pompous general did not like him. Better joined the people who appreciated his talent. 

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

Well as advised by ml, he can't ascend to a higher position if he just stay at the back in yongyang. He must march to the front to be successful. Besides, the stupid pompous general did not like him. Better joined the people who appreciated his talent. 

 

Hahahah. I somehow just assumed that the useless general realises his importance. Obviously I had too much faith in him. 

 

So GTY listened to her the first time and enlist to the army, and then listened to her again and ditch the general! :lol:

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Yeah. I've read earlier about that on the novel too. 

But it seems like because of their childhood meeting, there are most trust between the 2 than with anyone else. 

 

ESP when ML openly told him about the mom's death, and the fact every family member turned their back on her then. 

 

It's also quite funny that despite everything, they would always help each other.  

Like how GTY secretly helped her all the way when she was away from the capital, and it was funny when GTY mentioned that she should run now because the ppl after him are here, and her first reaction was "do U want me to help you hold the spear?" :lol:

Not sure how that would help, but she sure tried! 

 

And how GTY would tell her that he's leaving for the south for battle (which was where she said he should head to to get promoted quicker!) and she quickly wishes him all the best and be careful. 

 

And they talk in codes too! :D

 

That's the kind of rapport that I don't see between ML and QH. 

Can you explain what you mean they talk in codes? 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

 I think earlier on, gty has saved a general and he was very thankful to him. Then in episode 28, the general has invited him to join his troupe. During the conversation between ML and GTY in episode 28, he told her that he is already a high position person in the army. Even without the rebellion, he still be able to marry ML. 

 

I’m glad he joined them and not that other general he was with at first. I thought he went to join him again. 

1 hour ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

And gty said to her you too can do anything you want. But ML said no i can't. Gty insisted yes you can.. and the servant came and interrupted them. I keep on guessing what gty wanted to say to ML at the time. Maybe 'if u marry me"??? Ha ha.. Not likely but it will be nice shock to ML. :P

 

 

 

 

 

LMAO my thought exactly during that scene I was rolling my eyes he can be more obvious. Haha 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bulubulu said:

Can you explain what you mean they talk in codes? 

Lol. When GTY went to give the clay doll to ML as requested by QH, he mentioned about a calligraphy book, and ML just know that he meant QH. 

and then the whole conversation was using the calligraphy as a substitute for QH. 

 

That the calligraphy work was bad and the calligrapher has ruined his own work. 

And he has no excuse except feeling sorry that the work is ruined. 

  • Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, cherubstomato said:

I’m glad he joined them and not that other general he was with at first. I thought he went to join him again. 

LMAO my thought exactly during that scene I was rolling my eyes he can be more obvious. Haha 

 

Spoiler

I check the previous episode again. You r right. He went to the same pompous general xie but no longer stupid and Not the one he saved earlier. So, the general has realised the talent of gty and politely invited gty to join him again. 

 

  • Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the useless general who asked for him back. The guy who went to his house was the assistant to the useless general. They specifically said his name - General Xie - wanted him back. The good general he saved was General Zhao. GTY played them a little when they came to his house, he told Momo that he had to play hard to get a little so they would appreciate him more. I don't think he would use that kind of attitude to General Zhao.

  • Like 8
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, leeza77 said:

 

  Hide contents

I check the previous episode again. You r right. He went to the same pompous general xie but no longer stupid and Not the one he saved earlier. So, the general has realised the talent of gty and politely invited gty to join him again. 

 

Darn. So he did go back to the useless general! I thought the guy who asked him back looked like the useless general's assistant. But was hoping I was wrong...

So I guess I didn't get it wrong Afterall...:tears:

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, leeza77 said:
  Hide contents

He is a great strategist. In episode 28, when scolding QH for tarnishing ML's reputation, he told qh that when planning something you should have planned 5 moves ahead and 3 moves backwards. Lol, ML's has just to wait to be caught by gty. She has no chance at all to escape him. 

 

 

That’s why a smart girl like ML can still be trapped by a rogue, a military general rogue :D

 

3 hours ago, dito said:

 

 

I too wish they at least keep some of his behind the scenes machinations. I want to see his smart brain working hard to get the girl. 

Though I think there will be no cousin of the Dr coming in to ruin everything....coz I don't see an actress listed for that role.

 

Eh?? But the doctor arc imo is pretty important..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×