Quantcast
Jump to content
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

Recommended Posts

@Golden Flower Yes I also agree with you on GTY. I see many people criticize him from being not "pure" enough for ML. I think that bc ML is the main lead, viewers are defending her too much. Remember that in a society based on status, ML is just a daughter of a concubine of a mid-rank official, while GTY is a legitimate son of a Marquis. Moreover, his eldest brother is seriously ill with no heir and he is bound to inherit the title. So in normal circumstances, there's no chance he would set eyes on ML and even if he did, things would just turn out like with QH. The author gave him a bad reputation and illegitimate children to lower his marriage potential, only then someone of ML's status could be fitting to him. He had to also cut ties with his family so that he could decide who to marry and not relying on his parents. His marriage with ML is not just a journey of love, but a result of many different elements combined together. All of his flaws are there for a reason and without them he could never be with ML.

 

So to say when I read the book I only started to like him a little bit in later in the story. The first 1/3 he was kinda... not there. The second 2/3 he was so full of himself and annoying. The third he was rather okay, but that's it. I guess he's not my style.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

For some reason i always like these type's of shows maybe because i like cocky rich guys ? xd

 

From trailers ive seen i think she will save him fear not. 

Lol. Really?? :o

I can't take those cocky guys that would hand grab the girls and all! <_<

I like shows with the guys having a bit more tact, and the girls having a backbone to stand for themselves. 

Lol. Explained why I come to like ZLY's shows. Read somewhere she has tendencies to choose characters that are opinionated to a certain extent to play! 

 

 

1 hour ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

 

You can bring it up but doing at that point is pure stupidity it would just anger the mum that the son did all this to win the girl and not really for me/.

 

I think that person means they want QH to die honourably then suffer all his life? 


After knowing what happens to QH in the book if he died earlier it would have been better then what happens to him. 

 

Also it was not really a choice the sheng family,ML and his father were being threatened he had no choice there. 

Ahhh. I don't know what happened in the book. Never read it. Only from random spoilers and snippets from chingus here. 

I guess I can understand if his life turna out to be miserable. We know that because we've seen/read the ending. But in any of our life, until we walk down the path, we wouldn't really know if its for better or worse. We could only deduce based on the info on hand at the time. 

In the end, it's a bit of a poker game isn't it?

Sometimes we get good cards, other times we are dealt with bad cards. Either way, we play our hands to the best of our ability, and haven't we seen winners with bad cards?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, nrbrown said:

Wow, love all your current posts. @m0us3y@linhlinh111@hello210 @GoldenFlower(Among others) have written eloquently and analyzed perfectly (much better than I could have done).First of all thanks :wub: It makes watching this drama even more enjoyable. Secondly, it shows this drama is even more interesting to interpret and watch. It makes you want think, and ponder, to which I treasure those dramas more. Sure there are some valid criticisms of the drama. However, I don’t ever trust 100% what they show to be actual in that specific time period. Cause honestly most likely they wouldn’t be able to show so many episodes.ie. Making ML the steward for example or putting them in classes with men not their brothers. Not likely, but I tend to shrug my shoulders and wave it off. Cause if they showed the women embroider everyday would be totally dull drama to/for me..:phew:

 

Just one observation  in regards to QH and GTY, I like both characters truth be told, However, when it comes to marriage it’s a different ball game. Both of them have faults and good qualities. But ultimately who would be the better partner for ML in the long run is what decides her “love” per say ( I’m putting quotations in the love part for a reason). Family ties is what matters in the long run.

 

Personally, there is NO way I would marry or think of marrying QH. Having a mother in law like that would want me to return to my family ASAP. 

GTY for all his play boy tendicies and having children out of wedlock shows a sense of responsibility, to me, a better marriage candidate. Plus not having a mother or having crappy family gives the wife a different sort of freedom (postives and negatives of course) ie. Not tied 100% to the in-laws would be a big relief to me. But again I’m not ML B)

 

 

 

 

Yes it's a little bit too modern but not impossible. In later dynasties of China (the Ming and the Qing), the women were very restricted and they were not allowed to have any interaction with non-family men. But in the previous periods (Song and earlier) things were more relaxed. Women were still bound to their family and didn't have a say in marriage, but they were allowed to socialize more and they could interact with other men as long as there was an elder/ a male family member/ a maid presented. We see in the drama many scene in which ML met in private with QH and it was okay cuz it happened in a public place and both their maid/servant were there. Also the class they were attending was technically family-owned. It means they invited a professor to their home to teach their children, and both of the brothers were always there, QH and GTY could come bc they had a close relationship to the family, and there were a curtain to separate male/female student, so it was totally possible.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Lol. Really?? :o

I can't take those cocky guys that would hand grab the girls and all! <_<

I like shows with the guys having a bit more tact, and the girls having a backbone to stand for themselves. 

Lol. Explained why I come to like ZLY's shows. Read somewhere she has tendencies to choose characters that are opinionated to a certain extent to play! 

 

 

Ahhh. I don't know what happened in the book. Never read it. Only from random spoilers and snippets from chingus here. 

I guess I can understand if his life turna out to be miserable. We know that because we've seen/read the ending. But in any of our life, until we walk down the path, we wouldn't really know if its for better or worse. We could only deduce based on the info on hand at the time. 

In the end, it's a bit of a poker game isn't it?

Sometimes we get good cards, other times we are dealt with bad cards. Either way, we play our hands to the best of our ability, and haven't we seen winners with bad cards?

 

Yeah I don't like the cocky rich guy type either. I prefer the gentle passionate type. Maybe that's why I like QH (Also bc ZYL is super handsome) but his mother is a total let down. I wouldn't marry him either.

 

Anyway QH's life was not that bad. He succeeded in his career, had 2 sons and a few grandchildren. He was just lonely and loveless that's all. You don't die bc of that, people die for much worse reasons. There's no honor in dying just bc you don't get the girl. He was the only son, he had a whole family to take care of so despite how unhappy he was, he just gotta man up and take the responsibility he had to take. It's sad but in that time period that was how it was. If he had died just bc he couldn't be with ML then I would despise him very much.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

@linhlinh111 

 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

 In epi 27, he thought about asking emperor decree for marriage during spring visit to palace but it will be easier said than done in reality even if he is not in current predicament with YW family. He told ML that he believes emperor will give the decree seeing that he is being sincere, another display of his naivety and optimism. 

 

 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

Brother CB who has upright character, also has 1-2 tong-fan maids before he got married, it is just not shown. The only reason those guys with tong-fan maids at home do not have kids before they got main wife is that their moms made sure those maid do not get pregnant. For GTY’s case, he did not have kids with his 7 tongfan maids as they were made sure not to get pregnant but got kids with MN because she was kept outside with no one to control her fertility. 

 

That’s why I commented before that viewers should not compare QH’s current actions towards ML to those of GTY at current time point or in the future. QH is a 18 years old lad madly in love with ML and GTY is 23-24 years old acquitance of ML with weathered experiences who is not love-struck. QH was only son raised in ducal scholarly house by both parents who loved, pampered and protected him while GTY was raised in military house with trashy relatives and two other brothers by his strict father with inability to express his love and dubious stepmother. GTY grew up without being loved, emotionally and physically abused, left to defend for himself, lived wandering life in Jianghu as well as in entertainment circles. QH is both financially and emotionally dependent on his parents while GTY is not. So, their ways of thinking and actions toward ML at current time point will be totally different. Afterall, they're two totally different characters. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I dont think its unjust to call someone weak/selfish/wet blanket when that is what his character is portraying in several instances, it does not matter if everything he did was in character it can still be called out. There was better way's if he just actually used his brain and maybe spoke with ML about it before? Him not understanding his family's situation is his fault for not caring about it enough to ask or find out.

 

Literally QH's issue is he does not think which were allowed to call out , he never thinks for one second he is like a virgin getting horny over a girl hes just met or something he cant think past lust or something.

 

Also he was NEVER considerate towards ML considering ML continued to tell him over and over again and he never thought about anything, his character is second lead male that has nothing to do with rivalling against GTY or not. 

 

In-regards to GTY he does have a bad reputation even if its just having a Mistress and two kids before actually getting married that is already a bad reputation, they may have been sleeping with maids but rarely were those maids allowed to become concubines or keep their children. 

 

I totally disagree that the drama is making GTY look to good maybe he is just a good character put in bad situations. Literally every male back then was school/drink/sex , you said just before that to understand the situation yet call GTY out for doing what everyone else does? The drama already said that he failed due to the brother's bad mouthing him. GTY is not pure and does not need to be pure. 

 

I think they portrayed GTY very realistically back then people did exactly what GTY is doing , people will compare GTY and QH because they are both male leads who are after the female lead its natural i dont think you should say people should not compare.

 

Also you say GTY grew up without being loved but his step mother was "loving" him openly at least so he was not totally alone and his other brother seems fine with him.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hello210 said:

But I will have to agree that they had to showcase some good attributes in GTY to counterbalance the having mistress, kids, and possible first marriage (in novel) because there were comments from viewers in Viki that they were no longer interested once they saw this and realized that ML was his first and only.  

Do you mean those viewers dropped because “ML was NOT GTY’s first and only”? You forgot to put “not”? 

 

Those viewers might be middle and high school teenagers without life experiences  who are naive like QH :D  expecting Cinderella story. 

 

In accordance with society that time, even QH should have at least 1-2 tongfan maid though novel did not mention. (QH was not mentioned much even as CB in the novel). :P :P 

 

I do not understand why Chinese drama viewers fair better with emperors having many wives and concubines but not with regular males having concubines. I get that even with emperors, some viewers still want loving only one girl though they might have many feis and sleeping with them as long as it is not shown on screen. 

 

I think in '09, FSF was in the drama "four women conflict" in which he has three wives (main wife and two concubines) as well as a woman he is flirting with. Ady An played third wife whom he actually fell in love and married in as concubine (ZLY also played a small character as  maid of first wife). I wonder how international audience and younger viewers respond that drama back then. (I haven't really watched it as it seems super tragic and cliche being Yuzheng’s writing. Only read review and seen clips on youtube). 

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Lol. Really?? :o

I can't take those cocky guys that would hand grab the girls and all! <_<

I like shows with the guys having a bit more tact, and the girls having a backbone to stand for themselves. 

Lol. Explained why I come to like ZLY's shows. Read somewhere she has tendencies to choose characters that are opinionated to a certain extent to play! 

 

 

Ahhh. I don't know what happened in the book. Never read it. Only from random spoilers and snippets from chingus here. 

I guess I can understand if his life turna out to be miserable. We know that because we've seen/read the ending. But in any of our life, until we walk down the path, we wouldn't really know if its for better or worse. We could only deduce based on the info on hand at the time. 

In the end, it's a bit of a poker game isn't it?

Sometimes we get good cards, other times we are dealt with bad cards. Either way, we play our hands to the best of our ability, and haven't we seen winners with bad cards?

 

I like the stories of like rich guys and feisty female's, This is one of my favourites. 

 

Spoiler

 

 

56 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

 

Yes it's a little bit too modern but not impossible. In later dynasties of China (the Ming and the Qing), the women were very restricted and they were not allowed to have any interaction with non-family men. But in the previous periods (Song and earlier) things were more relaxed. Women were still bound to their family and didn't have a say in marriage, but they were allowed to socialize more and they could interact with other men as long as there was an elder/ a male family member/ a maid presented. We see in the drama many scene in which ML met in private with QH and it was okay cuz it happened in a public place and both their maid/servant were there. Also the class they were attending was technically family-owned. It means they invited a professor to their home to teach their children, and both of the brothers were always there, QH and GTY could come bc they had a close relationship to the family, and there were a curtain to separate male/female student, so it was totally possible.

 

People act like all women were second class yet there are loads of example's of women going over men like Princess general's and empresses taking control of kingdom's etc.. yet a concubine daughter being a steward is to much? 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Golden Flower said:

Do you mean those viewers dropped because “ML was NOT GTY’s first and only”? You forgot to put “not”? 

 

Those viewers might be middle and high school teenagers without life experiences  who are naive like QH :D  expecting Cinderella story. 

 

In accordance with society that time, even QH should have at least 1-2 tongfan maid though novel did not mention. (QH was not mentioned much even as CB in the novel). :P :P 

 

I do not understand why Chinese drama viewers fair better with emperors having many wives and concubines but not with regular males having concubines. I get that even with emperors, some viewers still want loving only one girl though they might have many feis and sleeping with them as long as it is not shown on screen. 

 

I think in '09, FSF was in the drama "four women conflict" in which he has three wives (main wife and two concubines) as well as a woman he is flirting with. Ady An played third wife whom he actually fell in love and married in as concubine (ZLY also played a small character as  maid of first wife). I wonder how international audience and younger viewers respond that drama back then. (I haven't really watched it as it seems super tragic and cliche being Yuzheng’s writing. Only read review and seen clips on youtube). 

 

 

 

Anyone whose watched any Harem drama can accept this GTY situation very easily, back then literally all male's had many wife's unless you were hidden gay ;p

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Golden Flower said:

Do you mean those viewers dropped because “ML was NOT GTY’s first and only”? You forgot to put “not”? 

 

Those viewers might be middle and high school teenagers without life experiences  who are naive like QH :D  expecting Cinderella story. 

 

In accordance with society that time, even QH should have at least 1-2 tongfan maid though novel did not mention. (QH was not mentioned much even as CB in the novel). :P :P 

 

I do not understand why Chinese drama viewers fair better with emperors having many wives and concubines but not with regular males having concubines. I get that even with emperors, some viewers still want loving only one girl though they might have many feis and sleeping with them as long as it is not shown on screen. 

 

I think in '09, FSF was in the drama "four women conflict" in which he has three wives (main wife and two concubines) as well as a woman he is flirting with. Ady An played third wife whom he actually fell in love and married in as concubine (ZLY also played a small character as  maid of first wife). I wonder how international audience and younger viewers respond that drama back then. (I haven't really watched it as it seems super tragic and cliche being Yuzheng’s writing. Only read review and seen clips on youtube). 

 

 

Lol...yeah, I went back and added NOT...thanks @Golden Flower. You brought up a good question about Chinese drama viewers. I’ve only started watching C-dramas and K-dramas in the last year and haven’t really seen a lot of the older dramas. I’ve only looked up old dramas of actors/actresses after seeing one of their current dramas.  I mostly grew up on old Chinese musical dramas like the Butterfly couple, or 7th Maiden from Heaven (probably not their actual titles :lol:) and Kung Fu Theater that my grandparents loved watching and then Thai dramas. Historical Thai dramas have the same themes with having concubines both by Royalty and regular males. And then there’s some modern Thai dramas where the dads have a second household with a mistress. From comments I’ve seen on Viki, there seems to be a mixture of comments wanting to drop it and then those that changed their minds after finding out he’ll be faithful to ML. Most international non-Asian comments I saw were about getting a glimpse of the culture in that time period. But audiences have changed from ‘09 till now and also there’s also reality tv shows in the US and I think other places that show polygamy too.

No offense, but I say find an idol drama for Cinderella stories :)

 

Also, in many cultures, it’s common for men to be “sowing some wild oats” before settling down in marriage so no one is really “pure”. That crazy Sun mother-in-law had me cracking up when she said she could get her nephew some maids to take care of his needs so he can be prepared when ML is ready to be married. I couldn’t believe she actually said it to all the ladies present. But like @Golden Flower and @ForgottenSoulx said, it’s normal for men in that time period to have multiple bed partners before and after marriage. In the drama, it seemed like QH wasn’t even allowed to have relations with his personal maids because if his mother thought they were trying to get QH’s attention, she would sell them or in the case of the new maid that looked like ML, have them beat to death. That is another reason why I could see how naive and sheltered he was and how controlling his mother was.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

 

I like the stories of like rich guys and feisty female's, This is one of my favourites. 

 

  Hide contents

 

 

 

Haha...I liked that one for a RomCom drama. It’s Marriage, Not Dating right? I looked it up and watched it after watching the male lead in Queen for Seven Days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@hello210 I think the reason a lot of viewers find it unacceptable is because they view it with a 21st century lense. Where women are more of an equal to men than it has ever been. 

So the inequality and discrimination against the women becomes hard to watch, and sometimes hard to fathom. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, m0us3y said:

@hello210 I think the reason a lot of viewers find it unacceptable is because they view it with a 21st century lense. Where women are more of an equal to men than it has ever been. 

So the inequality and discrimination against the women becomes hard to watch, and sometimes hard to fathom. 

@m0us3y yeah, I noticed that from some of the timed comments on Viki. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, linhlinh111 said:

 

Yeah I don't like the cocky rich guy type either. I prefer the gentle passionate type. Maybe that's why I like QH (Also bc ZYL is super handsome) but his mother is a total let down. I wouldn't marry him either.

 

Anyway QH's life was not that bad. He succeeded in his career, had 2 sons and a few grandchildren. He was just lonely and loveless that's all. You don't die bc of that, people die for much worse reasons. There's no honor in dying just bc you don't get the girl. He was the only son, he had a whole family to take care of so despite how unhappy he was, he just gotta man up and take the responsibility he had to take. It's sad but in that time period that was how it was. If he had died just bc he couldn't be with ML then I would despise him very much.

Lol. If that's his ending, I unfortunately do not feel very sorry for him. And I also don't see how he should choose to die. 

 

If we go back to the time, how many marry out of love? Males mainly marry to consolidate power, concubines for love/ lust. Females are even worse off, they don't even get to choose their partner. Using that theory, everyone ought to die. 

But yet everyone seem to just accept and move on. That marriage is a trade. And then love comes later. You learn to love the person you share the bed with, the person you married. 

And you learn to live with that person until the end. With love. With tolerance. 

 

I guess they are trying to show QH as loyal lover, but he appears to a lot of viewers as wet blanket, and a lil pathetic. 

 

I didn't like it that he kept going to ML despite her telling him off multiple times. But I understand. His naive nature. His sheltered life. But when reality strikes, and he gets his rude awakening, why still pine for it, and worse, remain lonely and loveless. 

 

Firstly, I don't necessarily understand his undying love. They have never been through anything together, no life-death situation, and because of the times they were in, she hardly even spoke to him! He likes her, I get. Him continuing down that path even with all the facts in front of him, not so much. 

Does he really love her? Or is he simply pining for something he couldn't get?? He has always live in this idealistic bubble, and is it a case of him having a perfect image of her, something he conjured up in his mind rather than the real ML? 

 

Secondly, what is he trying to achieve with it all? If he truly believe he has no choice and his hands are tied, then let her go. Set her free. 

He passed both the figurines to her, what does he want out of that?

His actions are not only causing suffering to himself, but also to ML. 

In here, ML decided finally to let go and return both the figurines. Kudos to her. 

But for a girl a lil less intelligent, is he hoping that she will then wait, unconditionally, for him??

And if I recall from a spoiler from the book, is that ML till the end felt sorry to him, because he wanted her his whole life. 

In the drama, it's worse because she does love him back. Is he hoping that she too will forever have a place for him in her heart? And not move on? So they can be both be miserable? 

If so, I don't see how he loved her...

 

I truly feel that he loves her (for now). But if it's not meant to be and he knows it, wouldn't it be better than he let her go, set himself free, and at the same time, set her free? Because isn't loving someone means hoping for the person to be happy?

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Lol. If that's his ending, I unfortunately do not feel very sorry for him. And I also don't see how he should choose to die. 

 

If we go back to the time, how many marry out of love? Males mainly marry to consolidate power, concubines for love/ lust. Females are even worse off, they don't even get to choose their partner. Using that theory, everyone ought to die. 

But yet everyone seem to just accept and move on. That marriage is a trade. And then love comes later. You learn to love the person you share the bed with, the person you married. 

And you learn to live with that person until the end. With love. With tolerance. 

 

I guess they are trying to show QH as loyal lover, but he appears to a lot of viewers as wet blanket, and a lil pathetic. 

 

I didn't like it that he kept going to ML despite her telling him off multiple times. But I understand. His naive nature. His sheltered life. But when reality strikes, and he gets his rude awakening, why still pine for it, and worse, remain lonely and loveless. 

 

Firstly, I don't necessarily understand his undying love. They have never been through anything together, no life-death situation, and because of the times they were in, she hardly even spoke to him! He likes her, I get. Him continuing down that path even with all the facts in front of him, not so much. 

Does he really love her? Or is he simply pining for something he couldn't get?? He has always live in this idealistic bubble, and is it a case of him having a perfect image of her, something he conjured up in his mind rather than the real ML? 

 

Secondly, what is he trying to achieve with it all? If he truly believe he has no choice and his hands are tied, then let her go. Set her free. 

He passed both the figurines to her, what does he want out of that?

His actions are not only causing suffering to himself, but also to ML. 

In here, ML decided finally to let go and return both the figurines. Kudos to her. 

But for a girl a lil less intelligent, is he hoping that she will then wait, unconditionally, for him??

And if I recall from a spoiler from the book, is that ML till the end felt sorry to him, because he wanted her his whole life. 

In the drama, it's worse because she does love him back. Is he hoping that she too will forever have a place for him in her heart? And not move on? So they can be both be miserable? 

If so, I don't see how he loved her...

 

I truly feel that he loves her (for now). But if it's not meant to be and he knows it, wouldn't it be better than he let her go, set himself free, and at the same time, set her free? Because isn't loving someone means hoping for the person to be happy?

 

From ML's conversation with grandma, it seemed that ML has to accept and agreed to the insistence of QH to married her, when she knew about QH hunger strikes and his quarrel with his mother. She felt disloyal if she rejected him despite QH's efforts to marry her. 

Really dislike the way qh cried and cried for his failure. Should man up and accept his responsibility and make the best of the situation. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The people who dropped this drama just because ML is not GTY's first, possibly ZLY's fans and the people who dropped this drama IF QH become ML's hubby (not GTY), possible FSF's fans, if you get what I mean :tounge_xd:   peace guys :relaxed:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought ep 29 though unsubbed was funny, comic relief, a breather 

 

If we were to look at who the "lead" is, based on who gets the girl by who does the most to get the girl  and graph them by numerical order through EFFORT, not quality or character this would be mine 

1. QHY

2. Mama Liang 

3. GTY

4. Dr He (bodhisattva) enlightened saint

(disclaimer: this list is temporary and not binding and it is changeable by anyone according to their POV in other words don't sue me)

 

mama Liang? talk about determination, could go neck and neck with QHY in effort, and her greatest obstacle will be future daughter in law Molan...who could win the bride prize of the future earl 

GTY 3rd? had many issues and busy putting his house in order but what puts him in 3rd place effortwise, was his selfless effort to help ML many years ago and makes him worthy in my eyes. Presently, effortwise, Mama Liang beats him.:weary: . 

 

Presently, the playing field for ML's hand is levelled and constantly changing and circumstances in all areas in the Song Dynasty will determine who gets the girl. 

 

Trivia and question about ML's granny: when ML and Granny went to visit the sister in law, the Sheng granny, (the one who died), during the family conversation one of the aunts praised ML as well mannered befitting of a grandaughter raised by the only daughter of Marquess Yong Yi referring to ML's granny. Therefore grandma is descended from a marquess which is a title below a duke. So grandma's blood family carries weight. The Sheng family are wealthy, don't seem to carry any title but were imperial officials. Sheng Hong was a magistrate then moved to the capital and became a minister. The drama does not state the circumstances of why ML's grandma married below her title. That is probably why QHY emphasized to his mother that ML, even if she was the daughter of a concubine was raised by her grandmother, implying that she was raised as a daughter of nobility because her grandmother is descended from a marquess? If QHY did know about granny's patriarchal title, that means he did do his homework. That was not enough for his mother. Also, the prince who is vying for the heir to the throne supported by QHY family is Yong Yan. I wonder if that has any relation ot granny's dad Marquess Yong Yi. Do the older generation then remember granny's family?

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hello210 said:

it’s normal for men in that time period to have multiple bed partners before and after marriage.

that tradition has not changed to this day..... lot of asian men go around sowing oats before and during marriage to this day. scandals abound everywhere especially those with looks, power or money. Comes with the territory unfortunately. Westernization has not done much to change such cultural values unfortunately..... The main difference is that now, affairs are mostly hidden whereas in the old days, it was publicly accepted.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

1. QHY

2. Mama Liang 

Hhmm..... wonder which situation is better?  loved by husband but not mother in law or loved by mother in law but not husband? :unsure:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hello210 said:

Haha...I liked that one for a RomCom drama. It’s Marriage, Not Dating right? I looked it up and watched it after watching the male lead in Queen for Seven Days.

 

Yeah its one of my fave Korean drama's also the masters sun , Secret love all have the rich guy whose arrogant etc.. but still love these.

 

1 hour ago, m0us3y said:

@hello210 I think the reason a lot of viewers find it unacceptable is because they view it with a 21st century lense. Where women are more of an equal to men than it has ever been. 

So the inequality and discrimination against the women becomes hard to watch, and sometimes hard to fathom. 

 

Do these people never watch Harem drama's like Empresses in palace,yanxi etc..

 

42 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

 

Sorry for deleting your comment but just want to reply to a little bit.

 

That person is sugar coating what QH goes through to a hard degree lets see what happens to him but from spoilers here about QH he suffer's hard.

 

Its first love and true love on the side of QH he will never be happy throughout his life.

 

26 minutes ago, tomo74 said:

The people who dropped this drama just because ML is not GTY's first, possibly ZLY's fans and the people who dropped this drama IF QH become ML's hubby (not GTY), possible FSF's fans, if you get what I mean :tounge_xd:   peace guys :relaxed:

 

I agree lmfao.

 

 

20 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

 

 

 

GTY saved ML like 3 times that is more effort then anyone ;p 

 

Also i think Grandma married down because that's how it was for female's then or did they marry up i cant remember, maybe she was in love so married down. 

 

5 minutes ago, tomo74 said:

Hhmm..... wonder which situation is better?  loved by husband but not mother in law or loved by mother in law but not husband? :unsure:

 

In terms of survival it would be the second unless the husband had alot of power in the household then it would be the 1st.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, zenya22 said:

I thought ep 29 though unsubbed was funny, comic relief, a breather 

 

If we were to look at who the "lead" is, based on who gets the girl by who does the most to get the girl  and graph them by numerical order through EFFORT,  this would be mine 

1. QHY

2. Mama Liang 

3. GTY

4. Dr He (bodhisattva) enlightened saint

(disclaimer: this list is temporary and not binding and it is changeable by anyone according to their POV in other words don't sue me)

 

mama Liang? talk about determination, could go neck and neck with QHY in effort, and her greatest obstacle will be future daughter in law Molan...who could win the bride prize of the future earl 

GTY 3rd? had many issues and busy putting his house in order but what puts him in 3rd place effortwise, was his selfless effort to help ML many years ago. Presently, effortwise, Mama Liang beats him.:weary: . 

 

Presently, the playing field for ML's hand is levelled and constantly changing and circumstances in all areas in the Song Dynasty will determine who gets the girl. 

 

Trivia and question about ML's granny: when ML and Granny went to visit the sister in law, the Sheng granny, (the one who died), during the family conversation one of the aunts praised ML as well mannered befitting of a grandaughter raised by the only daughter of Marquess Yong Yi referring to ML's granny. Therefore grandma is descended from a marquess which is a title below a duke. So grandma's blood family carries weight. The Sheng family are wealthy, don't seem to carry any title but were imperial officials. Sheng Hong was a magistrate then moved to the capital and became a minister. The drama does not state the circumstances of why ML's grandma married below her title. That is probably why QHY emphasized to his mother that ML, even if she was the daughter of a concubine was raised by her grandmother, implying that she was raised as a daughter of nobility because her grandmother is descended from a marquess? If QHY did know about granny's patriarchal title, that means he did do his homework. That was not enough for his mother. Also, the prince who is vying for the heir to the throne supported by QHY family is Yong Yan. I wonder if that has any relation ot granny's dad Marquess Yong Yi. Do the older generation then remember granny's family?

 

 

 

To answer your question about Sheng Grandma: 

 

- Yes, she came from a prestigious background. It hasn't been explained in the drama, but in the book it stated that she married Sheng Hong's father for love. She has cut all ties with her family (I don't remember the exact reason, but I believe it was because she went against her parents' disapproval). So her background only serves as an indication of her virtue and education. Together with the fact that Yong Yi Marquis manor has fallen far from grace after she left, I doubt that the title from ML's grandmother would provide any concrete benefit for her future in-law. 

- I think Sheng grandma's background is well-known among the inner circle.

- The "Yong" in Yong Yi Marquis and "Yong" in Yong Wang are two entirely different characters. They have nothing to do with each other.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×