Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

33 minutes ago, JoycceeDreamer said:

Someone want to kindly explain the significance behind the dolls that QH gave ML? Did GTY plan to give the other doll to ML but ML refuses and give back the one that QH gave? I'm currently assuming that these dolls are love tokens but is it? 

I wonder what Changbei felt when GTY proposed marriage to his household... I'm assuming it's probably a good thing and he might actually be happy? 

Anyone want to explain how BY just automatically left the army and not return? Like.. don't you need to have an order to leave ..??? 

Reveal hidden contents

I also noticed in the MV that it looks like GTY gets into trouble? In Prison? Exiled to war? Any explanations here? 

From what I understand, the first time QH gave the doll, he told ML that it reminds him of her smile.  So it was kind of like a love token as he gave it to her promising to be true, loyal and continue to fight to get his parents (mum) approval.  The 2nd doll was to remind her despite the fact that he is getting married that he still love her (he had to marry the princess as they are holding his father "ransom").  However, she decided to completely let go and not hold on to the souvenirs.  GTY asked if she doesn't want to keep it as keepsake but she said "no need".  

Personally, I like the fact that the story doesn't feel rush.  You could see that GTY is beginning to pay attention to ML but for now, she is still his best friend's sister.  I like ML's relationship with grandma.  She genuinedly cared for her grand daughter when she went missing.  

The Marquis' wife likes ML but Molan is getting her hook on to her Plan B now that QH is off the market LOL

• Like 13

17 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Although I don’t love Manning. I can’t determine yet if the character isn’t the same as the drama. From my point of view, Mannian loves Bai He and doesn’t love her kids. She wanted to get rid of Momo, but there is. I say Bai He will get rid of Momo when she loves him and doesn’t care for his money. She has always been on his side. Manning didn’t lie on the fact she only sold these things because he told he was broke. The fact she lied to him about everything.

Chingu’s Help me 

Is this drama TV versus being translated on YouTube???

I mean sure she sold the things because he said they were broke but she sold it then gave to her brother who was supposed to be dead.

13 hours ago, nichiwoohee said:

You didnt have to mention my poor Ling gege :bawling: 

Cried buckets for his story in book YZG

Ling gege? what you on about here ;p

12 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

I agree that it was QH's misunderstanding of his mother, him letting ML know in advance and ML telling grandmom in advance as she was so flustered and excited, were the cause of awkwardness  in pearl giving scene. However, I disagree with those saying that QH's mom was manipulative and cunning to cause shame to grandmom, ML and Sheng family. I do not think that it was her purpose. QH's mom never verbally promised QH that she would propose marriage for ML. She just said all three of them are attending CB's wedding. She probably did not think that QH will give ML wrong information in advance either for two of them have no reason to meet each other. She just knew that saying "no" to her son might not end the deal and her son would end up begging her again and again as well as she was not sure whether the girl's side was encourging her son without knowing their place (like Lin Yiniang and Mo Lan). That's why she wanted to make clear where she stands to both her son and Sheng family at the same time. Of course, she did not realize grandmom and ML already know that their status do not match, and ML has been telling QH that and avoiding him as much as she can. 

Reveal hidden contents

In the book, QH's mom like ML since she first met her when ML was around 10-11. ML was a young girl, not developed into a lady yet and QH's mom did not say anything regards to him talking to her. She knows that ML made a knee pad for QH and stiched the shape of yuanbao "golden ingot" on the knee pad and QH's mom was laughing as she realized ML was quick- witted for using shape of yuanbao as QH's initial. The knee pad was made to use during provincinal exam not during imperial college exam like in the drama and QH requested ML to make one for him after he saw CB's one made by ML. She gave pearl necklaces to three girls as her first meeting gift to them, not as QH's gifts to them for becoming his sisters like in drama though she said that QH and three sisters to become siblings to prevent Wang shi (first madam) to consider QH for Rulan's marriage or having any thoughts from Molan and Rulan who were already developed. 

I have been just lurking the thread without commenting since beginning but I felt that some of you were blaming QH wrongly for being weak, wet-blanket, inconsiderate of ML and not having plans in trying to obtain ML's hand in marriage as you did not really understand QH's situation as well as his mom's since the drama did not really (1) explain well on the importance of being filial to the parents, family status, family name/honor and family connection during Song or Ming dynasty (2) added scenes between QH and ML to create typical first love like in other 21st century drama and to promote ZYL's QH as second male lead, creating inconsiderate QH. I felt that drama's writing and direction inconsistancy with the rest of the drama lines potraying that period's culture is causing ZYL's great acting (with subtle eyes and facial expressions) injustice. I'm not QH's fan or having 2nd lead syndrome or against any actors/ actresses in the drama. I'm just a fan of good drama, good acting and writing. 

Reveal hidden contents

Since the beginning of the book, it was very clear on how much difference in societal views on a person during that period vs 21st century. During that time period, although the officialships can be obtained by merit through passing different level of governmental examinations, the reputation and advancement of levels for each official are dependent on his behavior and his family status. Kong Momo warned Sheng Hong the bad reputation of favoring concubine over main wife could cause hinderance for his advancement in career or losing his officialdom. That is why he stopped over indulging Lin Yiniang though the drama was not really clear in potraying that. He stopped saying "yes" to all Lin Yiniang's request and giving more power to Old Madam and Wang Shi in the drama though. Sheng Hong himself mentioned to his wife Wang Shi that not being failial to Old Madam though she is not his biological mother can have negative effect on his career. Marriages are decided by parents and family and both man and woman has no say in their marriages especially woman. It is very common to get married very young before the man starts his career. There is famous saying “make family first then starts career”. A lot of poor scholar gets married before passing exam and they were supposed by wife and her family like in the case of ML’s cousin Shu Lan. Shu Lan family let her get married to this poor Sun guy with a lot of dowry as he was shou cai scholar who passed perfectual level exam at the age of 12 though his mom made living by washing clothes before their marriage. Her family was expecting that he will pass imperial exam and became high level official in the future. Also, lives of officials being in the capital vs in the cities in provinces are also quite different. Being in capital Biang Jing, people have to strictly adhere to ettiquets and act more reserved as it is the city where emperor has ears everywhere and all imperial relatives, noble families and high officials families reside. 

Back to QH...

He cannot go ask for ML’s hand in marriage from her family even after he passed the imperial exam, obtain official position, and obtain some wealth. ML’s grandmom and dad will not give consent if his parents do not agree to the proposal since they’re alive. (In the drama, matchmaker told GTY to request his father to ask for Yu  Yanran’s Hans for marriage from her grandfather Tai Shi when he was denied entrance at Yu’s family house for marriage proposal. GTY already have a lot of personal wealth and properties from his maternal grandfather though he has not gained anything from his own family yet. GTY’s father wrote the letter of proposal to grandfather in addition to GTY’s meeting the grandfather himself and that’s why grandfather almost agreed to the marriage until Maniang shows up).

At this point, QH has not passed the exam yet nor he has any property in his name though he is from noble and wealthy family. So, all he can do is request his parents' permission/help for proposing marriage to ML as his official wife since he loves her and wants to be with her. Btw, ML is the only girl whom he talks to frequently since they were young as his mother did not even allow his distant female cousins to come play with him (he doesn't have any first cousin females from both his parents' side). So, it is very understandable for him not being able not to express his feelings for ML and not being able to hide the fact of him wanting to be with her since his attachment and love for ML is quite deep and developed for a long time (8 yrs or more). QH told his parents to let him have marriage/ family first and he promised he will make sure to pass the exam which is very logical request for his situation in that time period where he needs his parents' permission for everything. Also, he is just a scholar who doesn't know martial art or strong enough to join military like GTY. It is very unfair to compare him and GTY in protecting or understanding ML 

Another thing is drama changes his family status dramatically by changing his father as Quke and making him as eventual successor of ducal house, making audience think his mom princess did not agree ML because of her status and she looked down on Sheng family. In the book, the main reason she wants QH marry the county princess was to help him advance his career as QH's dad is not a duke but his grandfather is. QH's dad is second son of duke Qi and his older brother is supposed to inherit the ducal title though he also holds 3rd grade high official position. QH's uncle has a son already though this cousin brother of QH is sickly and it is possible that he might die and pass the ducal title to QH, however, it is not definite. That's why both his parents encouraged him to pass the imperial exam though he can still get position based on family connection. Of course, QH's mom is also written as prideful, main power in her household and cares about being legitimate and concubine born but she is not as bad as drama potrayed her to be. 

The only thing/ plan QH can do to be considerate of ML is to never express his interest/ feelings and just kept everything to himself. If that is the case, there will be not much scenes of QH and ML and no second male lead in the drama like the book. In the book, QH was mentioned in less than 50 chapers and he was just one of the four suitors ML had though he was the one who known ML since childhood and mentioned the most among 4 suitors. QH planned only once to meet ML alone in the backyard of his maternal's grandfather’s fu during his birthday banquet and he only mentioned that he wants to see her since he hasn’t seen her for a long time and that he likes her. He was not forceful in declaring his love for her or making her admit that she has him in her heart or thoughts like in drama. During that meeting, ML told him that he should know his mom wants him to marry Jiacheng County Princess, his behavior can destroy her reputation, and their differences in status. She made him promise not to meet her alone again, talk to her, stop pursuing her and he made and kept the promise. Before that meeting, it was mentioned by his mom that QH already requested her to make marriage proposal for ML and his mom already told him she would allow him to make ML his concubine after he married his official wife but both him and his father disagree in making ML as concubine. During that banquet, his mom also noticed that ML ignored QH and knew her place. So, she never made ML or QH life difficult like in drama. She did not even mention about ML to County Princess. 

P.S. I'm not a native speaker, did not finish the whole book (only up to 20chapters) and skip some parts while listening audio book.

I dont think QH was misunderstanding his mother when he asked her do you agree and she says nothing which is basically a yes, his mother just played him. QH's mum was manipulative and did it to shame ML and the family otherwise she would not have done it the way she did . Yeah sure QH's mum never verbally promised QH but she made him believe that through her actions and words. 

QH is way inconsiderate to ML who said stop over and over and told him they cant be together due to status yet he keeps dragging her into it. QH never stopped to think about what ML status is or what she would go though.

6 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

@zenya22 Although I quoted one of the recent posts, I was not commenting solely on that post. There are many posts from a few days ago saying QH’s mom being cunning, manipulative and trying to shame the grandmom and I was trying to point out that it is not the case and the situation will not turn out really bad making grandmom angry if ML and her grandmom did not hear wrong information from QH in advance that his parents would propose ML’s hands. 

What I meant was the drama did not explain/portray well the societal/family norms of the time, not the posters in the thread. Imo, If someone has to explain to viewers even if they’re none native speakers what is going on in a long drama, the drama is not doing a great job. Before the scene where ML telling grandmom about QH’s parents coming to propose for her during CB’s wedding, there were many posts in the thread debating/arguing whether ML likes QH or just being polite to him and didn’t like him at all like in the book. My previous comments were related to those posts (as I just started posting today though have been reading most of the posts in the thread) since it is very obvious in the drama the fact that ML likes QH since she got his two brushes and fruits though her rational mind was preventing her to acknowledge her feelings and the drama is heading towards first love and heartbreak.

Sorry to make some of you confused as I’m writing comments related to old posts that I hold up for over two weeks.

QH's mum is cunning and manipulative that is obvious to see for anyone whose paid attention to the drama

6 hours ago, hello210 said:

I agree. I think that we’ll get to see QH’s character growth as the drama unfolds because there are a couple of scenes in the trailers that shows a different view of him. 

Hide contents

Poor thing watched his mom order his loyal servant beat to death.

Yeah the mum is vile and does not care for her sons happiness.

5 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

I beg to differ opinion on QH being selfish and GTY being better man and more considerate towards ML than QH. Imo, we’re comparing apples and oranges when comparing QH and GTY. They’re just two totally different people with different personalities, backgrounds and in different situations that ML met and loved at different times in her life.

Of course, it will turn out GTY was more suitable for ML as he is main lead (he has more screen time since childhood parts, his character development is more flushed out and more open conversations with ML since childhood), she got married to him and had a happy marriage life later created by author.

Imo, QH and ML's love is same as first love which did not end up in marriage or even first marriage that did not work for some couples due to time, circumstances and certain situations though the couple was in love and neither party was selfish nor bad people for relationship not to work. 

Hide contents

We do not know yet whether GTY will trick Sheng family and ML to marry him in the drama like in the book. If he does, I think GTY is more selfish than QH as he is being dishonest about his circumstances and feelings, cheating ML and her family of their trust and not having even basic respect to ML as human being. Though he mentioned to ML before actual marriage that he believes he is the one who can give ML life being true to herself, what kind of marriage life will be when bride is conned into it. That's why ML didn't open up to him or being openly showed her thoughts to him in the beginning of the marriage. 

QH is selfish for not stopping and thinking about what ML is actually saying he never thought about her status or a actual plan for them to be together, he gave her fake hope. GTY is more considerate because he actually thinks and understands ML status where as GTY does not. 

4 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

Imo, QH is just being naive thinking ML’s lower status was not going to be huge impact on him and his family as some people marry below their status. He mentioned to his parents that ML cannot be considered concubine-born being raised by her grandmom and both her father and brother are educated and have lots of future potential though they do not have noble title. He is not being selfish, inconsiderate or not understanding ML's circumstances or weak for begging his parents to approve his marriage to ML as this is the only way he know and can do in order to be with ML given the society at that time and his circumstances. In his mind, he needs to at least try to voice his feelings to be with ML and he believed he will succeed in persuading his parents as he is the only son who has always been filial to them, his parents love him dearly, he does not need his wife family's help to further promote his status, and ML being the only girl he likes and close to for many years. It is similar to interracial marriages most Asian parents do not agree to in these days. There are Asian guys and girls who married their gf/ bf from different ethnic groups despite their parents not approving and not talking to their spouses. Are they being selfish to their spouses for putting them in awkward situation and giving emotional baggage for not being able to attend his side of family's functions?  There are interracial marriages which did not get parental blessings even after kids were born. Should they have given up their relationships instead of getting married since their parents didn't approve of or talk to their significance others? 

Reveal hidden contents

in today's epi 28, he realized he was being naive of his circumstances and he has no control over or right to decide whom to marry being the most suitable bachelor in the capital.  It has been shown that QH gave up ML not because he realized that they cannot be together due to differences in their status or his mom disagreement but he was threatened with his father's safety, the live of ML and the livelihood of ML's family by Yong Wang Fei. He did not dare to get help from GTY and follow his suggestions of kinapping Yong Wang’s daughter and kept her hidden as emperor being sick and Yong Wang becoming the most powerful prince with possibility of being the next emperor. GTY critized QH that he was hesitating too much instead of rebelling and doing what makes him happy. However, I did not agree with GTY and agreed with QH’s decision to let go of ML. It matches his character and personality of being a gentleman who is considerate of others above his own feelings. There are many uncertainties and risks involved including lives of ML, her family, her relatives as well as his family and relatives by kinapping county princess even if GTY helped him if Yong Wang became crown prince and later emperor. GTY never gave a damn about any of his family member and used to doing whatever except he was really in shock during the time when his dad was dying and right after his death. Plus, he did not see and face through Yong Wang Fei’s manipulations with QH’s dad and did not see cruelty of Yong Wang Fei with Long second miss LFY. QH was forced to sign marriage agreement to county princess but he could not let anyone know of the actual reason of giving up on ML even to ML. I'm not certain this can be considered his character development as he did not give up on ML due to differences in their status or his fear of ML being in difficult situation after marriage due to his powerful mom. However, it shows that he protected ML in his own way and no longer naive of his and his family standing and circumstances in this dynasty. He was willing to end his life in exchange for his father's release by threatening to kill himself in front of Yong Wang Fei but he gave up on the idea when Wang Fei said that ML will die too after he dies. 

In some people’s opinion, QH's character might seem weaker and weaker compared to GTY by taking this route of being threatened by Yong Wang family. In the book, he married Yong Wang’s daughter being pressured by his mom instead and ML not having any interest in him. 

I mean its a bit difference he pushed for the marriage before even telling ML or discussing it with ML which is selfish,greedy and inconsiderate. The way he voiced his feeling's was totally wrong and stupid as well it just seems he does not think at all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

I feel that most of three main leads eyes and facial expressions including subtle changes were great I’m epi 27, 28. ZLY was seen batting her lashes slightly and her eyes weren’t smiling and slightly sad though she was smiling on the face when Wu madam from Count household was gossiping how laughable QH’s upcoming quiet wedding to JC princess. Her eyes and facial expressions are better than previous episode when she met QH alone, expressing fondness and happiness to see him at the same time being sad and worry for his weight loss and life due to struggles with his mom. Though tears came out and her face is a bit sad, her eyes express happiness and longing. Towards the end, she was smiling saying she would remember him like this even if he never marries her in this life but her eyes show slight sadness and nervousness for uncertainty. I wanted her to have those subtle eye and facial expressions during alone scenes with QH at the temple (her eyes and face have not much expression except being a little nervous at that scene). However, I think it is camera position that is making ZLY's subtle expressions not obvious. I felt that the camera should have been closer to her face to better see those subtle expressions since ZLY’s Face is much smaller and she also has to put her head down a bit to be appropriate for an unmarried girl at that time. 

ZYL actually lost weight for these two epi? (or great make-up?) His face became smaller as well as thin and pointy at the bottom which reflect as someone who was on hunger strike frequently and being unhealthy from malnourishment. Bravo to ZYL’s acting of helplessness, frustration and feeling inconceivable of reality of his life as duke’s son at that time period as well as YW’s family lawlessness after his servant’s death and during his conversation with YW Fei. His potrayal of being sad, confused, nauseated and being unable to withstand for the fact that his servant was beaten to death was very impressive as his character is supposed to be kind, soft-hearted scholar who has positive outlook on life before. 

FSF's admiration eyes and smile for ML become obvious in epi 25 thru 28 during their conversations. However, during the last scene where he was giving her QH’s doll, his facial expression is a bit too tense and his eyes seems dead except for the last minute when he started telling her about her future marriage prospects. His eyes should have been more sympathetic or warmer towards ML and his facial expression should be more towards awkward and apologetic for being the bearer of the bad news. Or may be having tense face is FSF’s way of expressing his awkwardness of being in this situation. 

Although I’m neither a fan of ZYL or FSF, I felt that ZYL’s acting and his facial expressions seem more fluid and in character than FSF in this drama. FSF’s acting and facial expression sometimes seem a bit over or awkward like he is trying to be GTY instead of being GTY. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

What I meant was the drama did not explain/portray well the societal/family norms of the time, not the posters in the thread. Imo, If someone has to explain to viewers even if they’re none native speakers what is going on in a long drama, the drama is not doing a great job.

@Golden Flower I find a lot of good information from the posters of the drama and I am grateful that they took their time to explain. The drama refers a lot to historical figures inserted in the character's conversation as a way to explain what the characters feel or their reasoning and we have to search online who these people are and what are their connections to the drama such as Princess Zhao and the Strategems of War and Ming Huan and Yang Fei, the meaning of the order of names such as the last name, middle name and first and makes us understand the view of characters. The friendly soompi posters who understand have explained a lot. I think the drama is doing well. Many of us come from different cultures and non Chinese such as myself am grateful for them. I disagree that the drama is not explaining what is going on in the drama because it is in my opinion and here we can agree to disagree? It is just that people have different views on the characters or on the drama depending on whom they ship or whom they are a fan of. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zenya22 said:

@Golden Flower I find a lot of good information from the posters of the drama and I am grateful that they took their time to explain. The drama refers a lot to historical figures inserted in the character's conversation as a way to explain what the characters feel or their reasoning and we have to search online who these people are and what are their connections to the drama such as Princess Zhao and the Strategems of War and Ming Huan and Yang Fei, the meaning of the order of names such as the last name, middle name and first and makes us understand the view of characters. The friendly soompi posters who understand have explained a lot. I think the drama is doing well. Many of us come from different cultures and non Chinese such as myself am grateful for them. I disagree that the drama is not explaining what is going on in the drama because it is in my opinion and here we can agree to disagree? It is just that people have different views on the characters or on the drama depending on whom they ship or whom they are a fan of. 

Well said@zenya22. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Episode 25 was awesome. Granny is wise to have taken Ming Lan to visit her cousins, aunts and the oldest Sheng granny at their hometown. She not only gave Ming Lan a reprieve from her father Sheng Hong's mad house, but gave her the time and space to blossom into her real self. The oldest Sheng granny praised her when she gave a solution to their dillemma and called her an excellent steward. She is smiling, laughing and freely enjoying herself which we rarely saw in earlier episodes and she was unafraid to freely contribute her solutions to family problems. In the Sheng house she used defensive strategems but here in her oldest Sheng grandma's territory she is using offense strategems. When the younger people went to the mountains to hunt for rabbits, Ping Lan and everyone else were concentrating on chasing the prey except for Dr. He. Ming Lan went to look for him and found him digging for medicine. Here, we see Ming Lan also being free to be herself with Dr. He without worrying about gossip. ML called Dr He a bodhisattva LOL. 

I like her conversations with GTY, easy, friendly, mature and imformational for both. Little by little they are learning about each other. ML asked GTY why he is still a foot soldier that maybe GTY was too arrogant and his superior officer demoted him. When GTY just looked at her with raise eybrows, she then said, or you did a valorous endeavour and won, so that was it. She then asked him why he did not join the ranks through the GU army and he said that if he relied on his father's name, that could be toppled, if he relied on people they could flee but if he relied on his own endeavor that would be honorable.

With regards to conversations with granny, she is still very respectful to her teacher but she is freer to voice her opinions as compared to when they were in the capital where ML was more reticent and grandma used some prodding. I am wondering if grandma did not already know about GTY being the rescuer of ML twice from the bandits at the funeral and at sea. She is happy to see her back, but she must be wondering or she might already know. Granny is a fox. 

Little Rong er is so cute and smart. Daddy told her that "little sister" is not to be called that but instead to be called "auntie". Ah, hahah...

• Like 8

5 hours ago, JoycceeDreamer said:

Someone want to kindly explain the significance behind the dolls that QH gave ML? Did GTY plan to give the other doll to ML but ML refuses and give back the one that QH gave? I'm currently assuming that these dolls are love tokens but is it? 

The dolls were a pair, the female version was given to Ming lan while Qi Heng kept the male version.

Qi Heng, asked Gu Tingye to send the male version to Minglan indicating he can't keep his promise.

That's why in the end, Minglan who wants to have a very CLEAN break gave back both dolls (female and male) through Gu Tingye.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, lynne22 said:

The dolls were a pair, the female version was given to Ming lan while Qi Heng kept the male version.

Qi Heng, asked Gu Tingye to send the male version to Minglan indicating he can't keep his promise.

That's why in the end, Minglan who wants to have a very CLEAN break gave back both dolls (female and male) through Gu Tingye.

So sad. I feel so sad for QH. He really loves ML in his heart. He loves her not because she is pretty but he loves her for her pure heart, gentlenses and kindness & smart.

• Like 8

Spoiler
2 hours ago, zenya22 said:

Episode 25 was awesome. Granny is wise to have taken Ming Lan to visit her cousins, aunts and the oldest Sheng granny at their hometown. She not only gave Ming Lan a reprieve from her father Sheng Hong's mad house, but gave her the time and space to blossom into her real self. The oldest Sheng granny praised her when she gave a solution to their dillemma and called her an excellent steward. She is smiling, laughing and freely enjoying herself which we rarely saw in earlier episodes and she was unafraid to freely contribute her solutions to family problems. In the Sheng house she used defensive strategems but here in her oldest Sheng grandma's territory she is using offense strategems. When the younger people went to the mountains to hunt for rabbits, Ping Lan and everyone else were concentrating on chasing the prey except for Dr. He. Ming Lan went to look for him and found him digging for medicine. Here, we see Ming Lan also being free to be herself with Dr. He without worrying about gossip. ML called Dr He a bodhisattva LOL. 

I like her conversations with GTY, easy, friendly, mature and imformational for both. Little by little they are learning about each other. ML asked GTY why he is still a foot soldier that maybe GTY was too arrogant and his superior officer demoted him. When GTY just looked at her with raise eybrows, she then said, or you did a valorous endeavour and won, so that was it. She then asked him why he did not join the ranks through the GU army and he said that if he relied on his father's name, that could be toppled, if he relied on people they could flee but if he relied on his own endeavor that would be honorable.

With regards to conversations with granny, she is still very respectful to her teacher but she is freer to voice her opinions as compared to when they were in the capital where ML was more reticent and grandma used some prodding. I am wondering if grandma did not already know about GTY being the rescuer of ML twice from the bandits at the funeral and at sea. She is happy to see her back, but she must be wondering or she might already know. Granny is a fox. 

Little Rong er is so cute and smart. Daddy told her that "little sister" is not to be called that but instead to be called "auntie". Ah, hahah...

I know right! I absolutely loved the episodes they are away from Bian Jing! 

Would also like to add that I thought ML going offensive was really cool too! They even went out in their carriage to take the deeds from the servant and then go around taking back the shops, all the while sitting inside the carriage with the cousin while the cousin bro does the work! 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, gleek49 said:

It's the polo match, it's a public event, everyone knows. Maybe not everyone knows that QH loves ML, but the inner circle can definitely connect the dots. That Wang Fei only needs to investigate a little to figure it out. 

QH should have never played that match with ML. Jia Cheng princess would probably never have liked him and his love to ML would have still been some sort of a secret.

But if QH didn't help ML at the polo match and ML lost (YR lost her mother's hairpin) then people gonna criticize QH for being a chicken (can't stand up and help ML in need) and people gonna say, this is nothing compared dealing with your mum and you still can't do anything, etc, so this drama favour GTY for ML, no matter how many sacrifice QH made for ML, it always end up zero, but no matter how bad GTY is, he always get/achieve something so he can be the perfect match for ML

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Golden Flower said:

Imo, QH is just being naive thinking ML’s lower status was not going to be huge impact on him and his family as some people marry below their status. He mentioned to his parents that ML cannot be considered concubine-born being raised by her grandmom and both her father and brother are educated and have lots of future potential though they do not have noble title. He is not being selfish, inconsiderate or not understanding ML's circumstances or weak for begging his parents to approve his marriage to ML as this is the only way he know and can do in order to be with ML given the society at that time and his circumstances. In his mind, he needs to at least try to voice his feelings to be with ML and he believed he will succeed in persuading his parents as he is the only son who has always been filial to them, his parents love him dearly, he does not need his wife family's help to further promote his status, and ML being the only girl he likes and close to for many years. It is similar to interracial marriages most Asian parents do not agree to in these days. There are Asian guys and girls who married their gf/ bf from different ethnic groups despite their parents not approving and not talking to their spouses. Are they being selfish to their spouses for putting them in awkward situation and giving emotional baggage for not being able to attend his side of family's functions?  There are interracial marriages which did not get parental blessings even after kids were born. Should they have given up their relationships instead of getting married since their parents didn't approve of or talk to their significance others? 

Reveal hidden contents

in today's epi 28, he realized he was being naive of his circumstances and he has no control over or right to decide whom to marry being the most suitable bachelor in the capital.  It has been shown that QH gave up ML not because he realized that they cannot be together due to differences in their status or his mom disagreement but he was threatened with his father's safety, the live of ML and the livelihood of ML's family by Yong Wang Fei. He did not dare to get help from GTY and follow his suggestions of kinapping Yong Wang’s daughter and kept her hidden as emperor being sick and Yong Wang becoming the most powerful prince with possibility of being the next emperor. GTY critized QH that he was hesitating too much instead of rebelling and doing what makes him happy. However, I did not agree with GTY and agreed with QH’s decision to let go of ML. It matches his character and personality of being a gentleman who is considerate of others above his own feelings. There are many uncertainties and risks involved including lives of ML, her family, her relatives as well as his family and relatives by kinapping county princess even if GTY helped him if Yong Wang became crown prince and later emperor. GTY never gave a damn about any of his family member and used to doing whatever except he was really in shock during the time when his dad was dying and right after his death. Plus, he did not see and face through Yong Wang Fei’s manipulations with QH’s dad and did not see cruelty of Yong Wang Fei with Long second miss LFY. QH was forced to sign marriage agreement to county princess but he could not let anyone know of the actual reason of giving up on ML even to ML. I'm not certain this can be considered his character development as he did not give up on ML due to differences in their status or his fear of ML being in difficult situation after marriage due to his powerful mom. However, it shows that he protected ML in his own way and no longer naive of his and his family standing and circumstances in this dynasty. He was willing to end his life in exchange for his father's release by threatening to kill himself in front of Yong Wang Fei but he gave up on the idea when Wang Fei said that ML will die too after he dies. 

In some people’s opinion, QH's character might seem weaker and weaker compared to GTY by taking this route of being threatened by Yong Wang family. In the book, he married Yong Wang’s daughter being pressured by his mom instead and ML not having any interest in him. 

I understand @Golden Flower QH wasn’t weak but as the only heir for his parents he had do whatever it takes to pro this family. During his era he had no other choices. After all he grew up loved and was given everything he ever needed unlike GTY.  GTY was never loved and was wronged his entire life , so he chose to rebel to find some kind of happiness. 

• Like 4

BTS Epi25 ~ Minglan running scene is cute 

Seems Yingbao cant stopped runnung for her life :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Good acting.

But only on Episode 1.

Can I ask which episode has the BEST acting so far?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, minoku2209 said:

BTS Epi25 ~ Minglan running scene is cute 

Seems Yingbao cant stopped runnung for her life :P

Ha ha.. Even the cameraman can't catch up with her.. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Watching even the raws shows how much I’m enjoying this show. Can’t  understand a word, but truly enjoyable, and addictive, to watch:wub:

Quick question in regards to episodes 24/25. Why was the registration deed of the prositute so important? I have some ideas, but I’m a little bit muddled in that section. Thanks :blush:

• Like 4

Just looked at Youtube for the upcoming episodes 26 -28 unsubbed but can still get the gist 

Spoiler

GTY and ML speak to each other like friends, as in GTY: Hey you and ML: hey back to you..then some bickering

QHY and ML: their conversations: young love, with lot of longing tinged with impossibility, it breaks the heart  to see their hopes broken

It is also hard to watch QHY as he gets his wake up call, his naivette broken and he begins to see the facts of life (family politics/rules of conduct and expectations) and accept the inevitable. Ming Lan,s first love, her hopes of marriage unfulfilled and her heart also breaks. She was pragmatic enough to know to have a clean break and returned the symbols of promise. 

Question: what does xiucai mean? 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

@zenya22 xiucai means he passed the exam. According to my Chinese friend. 

Not the top, that would be scholar (Zhong Yun).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tomo74 said:

But if QH didn't help ML at the polo match and ML lost (YR lost her mother's hairpin) then people gonna criticize QH for being a chicken (can't stand up and help ML in need) and people gonna say, this is nothing compared dealing with your mum and you still can't do anything, etc, so this drama favour GTY for ML, no matter how many sacrifice QH made for ML, it always end up zero, but no matter how bad GTY is, he always get/achieve something so he can be the perfect match for ML

OK, first, I have to say that I don't like how people use the reason of the guys being the leads/second leads to judge who is more deserving of the girl or that the drama favors one character more than the other. Because imo, the drama put way more work into portraying QH than GTY. QH fail because of his hesitation and indecisiveness, resulted from his sheltered upbringing, which was reasonable, not because the drama force him to be that way.

Second,  I would like to respectfully disagree with your opinion, that GTY get the girls because that drama wanted him to. You're making it sound like GTY has no redeeming qualities, not as good of a man as QH and the only reason he gets the girl is because of his male lead status? I'm sorry no one is better than the other, the drama does not try to make this man looks better than the other one. GTY is right for her not necessarily because he's a better man, but due to a combination of his personality, his circumstances and his timing; not because he's the best man in the world, but because he's the most suitable one for her. That's why he gets the girl; and getting the girl is what makes him the male lead, not the other way around.

Regarding the polo match, QH was not the only male person there, if he didn't help her, no one would've singled him out to judge. I haven't seen any other male presented there that day being criticized for not helping her, not even her brother who abandon her middle of the match. If he didn't play, he would have been like any other male who were there that day, no better, no worse. By doing that, he only made their relationship a public topic of gossip and speculation and put a target on her back. QH himself even said to ML that he did not play to help Yanran win the pin back, he played it for her.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Omg Chingu's  , ( by the way how do u say friends in chinese????   I found this  CLIP it is so amazingggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg  I am dying to see this  PLease check it ouuuuuuuuuu  LOL LOL 

I don't know if it is SPOILER so I will put in in tag 

Spoiler

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, gleek49 said:

OK, first, I have to say that I don't like how people use the reason of the guys being the leads/second leads to judge who is more deserving of the girl or that the drama favors one character more than the other. Because imo, the drama put way more work into portraying QH than GTY. QH fail because of his hesitation and indecisiveness, resulted from his sheltered upbringing, which was reasonable, not because the drama force him to be that way.

Second,  I would like to respectfully disagree with your opinion, that GTY get the girls because that drama wanted him to. You're making it sound like GTY has no redeeming qualities, not as good of a man as QH and the only reason he gets the girl is because of his male lead status? I'm sorry no one is better than the other, the drama does not try to make this man looks better than the other one. GTY is right for her not necessarily because he's a better man, but due to a combination of his personality, his circumstances and his timing; not because he's the best man in the world, but because he's the most suitable one for her. That's why he gets the girl; and getting the girl is what makes him the male lead, not the other way around.

Regarding the polo match, QH was not the only male person there, if he didn't help her, no one would've singled him out to judge. I haven't seen any other male presented there that day being criticized for not helping her, not even her brother who abandon her middle of the match. If he didn't play, he would have been like any other male who were there that day, no better, no worse. By doing that, he only made their relationship a public topic of gossip and speculation and put a target on her back. QH himself even said to ML that he did not play to help Yanran win the pin back, he played it for her.

About the polo match i agree with you. Actually molan's mother in law to be wanted to play with ML but QH volunteered. So, there is no issue of someone was not helping ML. 

Regarding gty suitability, he has what it takes to win ML and he was caring and generous enough to offer to help QH to be to be with ML. Alas, as it was pointed out by our fellow soompier, he has too many on his plate at that time and lost the opportunity. That lost chance will be his forever regret for the lifetime. 

• Like 5