Quantcast
angelangie

[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Story of Ming Lan 庶女明兰传 / 知否?知否?应是绿肥红瘦

I actually like how the drama is unfolding and giving us a good insight into each character.  The way the relationship development between ML and GTY is like what the director said about their intertwined fates and matches the ending song.  The removal of the time traveling part in my opinion enhanced the story line since we can feel the emotions coming from ML. Like @linhlinh111 said, she’s feeling everything that a15 year old would when dealing with impossible first love. I agree that it’s nice to visualize what GTY went through instead of hearing stories told by others. Relationship dynamics like the one between ML and her grandma are very relatable and reminds me of my own grandma. My favorite so far is ML with grandma, Rulan, and CB; GTY bromance with CB; and the bantering between ML/GTY.

Spoiler

I thought it was sweet how GTY secretly protected ML and Grandma’s crew during the travel home even if him taking on the whole gang by himself was a little over the top. His loyal servant having his daughter reciting as a distraction for herself was cute. I can see how he starts to view ML differently throughout their interactions from the beginning and he’s not afraid to admit to ML that she was right about Maniang. Can’t wait for more :lol:

• Like 7

I love both GTY's Nanny and ML's grandma. They're so cute. Ima be sad when the grandma is gone.. :( and i really hope nothing happens to the Nanny :(

• Like 5

And if I may add, there seems to be a deeper meaning on a statement ML made to the granny. 

"Sometimes what appears demure could be really treacherous, while things that appear treacherous could really be peaceful"..

Somehow, it reminds me of QH and GTY. 

QH's mom appears noble, calm and peaceful but I think we are all aware of how scarily controlling and manipulative she really is. 

On the other hand, in everyone's eyes, GTY is the unfilial, rebellious, good for nothing son of Marquis Gu, but in reality, he's probably just the opposite. 

And probably even ML herself. She appears useless and demure and incapable of handling things when she is, in fact, manipulating others to do what she wants to do (using the sword of another to kill, keeping her hands clean). We as viewers understand her perspectives and she is a good person, but in a way, she's no less manipulative. 

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, hello210 said:

My favorite so far is ML with grandma, Rulan, and CB; GTY bromance with CB; and the bantering between ML/GTY.

Hide contents

I thought it was sweet how GTY secretly protected ML and Grandma’s crew during the travel home. I can see how he starts to view ML differently throughout their interactions from the beginning and he’s not afraid to admit to ML that she was right about Maniang. Can’t wait for more :lol:

Aw i like those that you mentioned too but for me i'll also add GTY with his Nanny too :)

i find it sweet too GTY protecting them. I also find him and his daughter so cute :D

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

And if I may add, there seems to be a deeper meaning on a statement ML made to the granny. 

"Sometimes what appears demure could be really treacherous, while things that appear treacherous could really be peaceful"..

QH's mom appears noble, calm and peaceful but I think we are all aware of how scarily controlling and manipulative she really is. 

On the other hand, in everyone's eyes, GTY is the unfilial, rebellious, good for nothing son of Marquis Gu, but in reality, he's probably just the opposite. 

And probably even ML herself. She appears useless and demure and incapable of handling things when she is, in fact, manipulating others to do what she wants to do (using the sword of another to kill, keeping her hands clean). We as viewers understand her perspectives and she is a good person, but in a way, she's no less manipulative. 

I agree. Her statement is very meaningful because things are not always what they appear. We can tell by examples you gave. Even ML admitted that even though her motives are different what she did in getting rid of the spies was no less manipulative than Concubine Lin which was why she felt bad about using CB who’s always good to her. Always watch out for the quiet ones :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

45 minutes ago, nnnju said:

Yes, and the way described in the novel makes Manniang even more creepy and crazy... In the name of love.... I can’t remember it is ML or GTY who confronted her and revealed her real motive. I only remembered her craziness in that moment. Honestly speaking I’m totally fine with the gold digger version.

Spoiler

Worse is that, even after being confronted by ML she still stick with her story till her son died.

If this story happened today, GTY could just get a restriction order, rip her off her custody right and institutionalize her into an asylum, cuz she was clearly fk crazy.

Man if only they had a similar system back then.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, linhlinh111 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Worse is that, even after being confronted by ML she still stick with her story till her son died.

If this story happened today, GTY could just get a restriction order, rip her off her custody right and institutionalize her into an asylum, cuz she was clearly fk crazy.

Man if only they had a similar system back then.

It’s just too bad Maniang  secretly left in the middle of the night or she wouldn’t have been able to take their son since women didn’t have custody rights like they do today. Heck even kids born by concubines didn’t really belong to them. She’s been lucky to evade GTY. I just feel bad for the son cause I have a feeling that he’s going to bear a similar fate like GTY’s older brother of being brainwashed. I see GTY’s older brother being sickly with no heirs as his fated calamity/karma brought on by the stepmom raising him to hate his brother with lies.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

you had to be manipulative during those days or you your self would get manipulated. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

you had to be manipulative during those days or you your self would get manipulated. 

Wouldn't dispute you on that.  And probably still applicable to the world today. 

They could be manipulated, but to those who aren't trying to take advantage, they are the "peaceful" ones which you don't need to guard against. 

Like Yanran. As a friend to ML, she's kind, gentle (and weak), and she's not calculative. 

May not be good for Yanran as she'll probably be trampled all over, but she sure is "peaceful" to ML. If that makes sense. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, dito said:

First Old emperor dies and country goes into mourning....along with war for the throne situation.

In that chaos Molan seduces the six son of Liang gets married to him and Lin niang is not allowed to attend...and exiled off to a Sheng family property in the boonies. 

The Roulan falls for the poor scholar and ML catches them. 

He Hongwen and ML are all ready to get engaged when his clingy cousin arrives and ruins everything.

That drama dragged until HHW get sick, his cousin tried to commit suicide....and then finally relented to take her as his concubine. ML is still unsure but decides to wait and watch.

While all this is happening in the capital...GTY will be enjoying a new found popularity as an eligible bachelor due to his position as the General in the new emperor's army...

Don't forget the political situation is about to change....as we see soldiers trying to curb the revolt...in todays episode.

So add those scenes to the storyline as well. I'd say around 40-42

Still 16 eps to go then... OMG 

• Like 3

Just watched ep 25 & 26 in raw. Need subtitles...:( À lot of stuff can't understand as my Mandarin is limited.

Love how GTY shadow ML home and taught her to use the hand arms. How he single handedly fight off the bandits and told them to spare the granny carriage and shadow Granny and ML home.

Spoiler

Who is the 2nd miss who committed suicide and why?

Who is the maid or girl who got thrown out of the carriage in the middle of the street? She was badly beaten up and tied I think.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

Who is the maid or girl who got thrown out of the carriage in the middle of the street? She was badly beaten up and tied I think.

I think both were the same person. I'm purely guessing here but I think that might be the princess that was kidnapped and raped on QH's wife's orders. They seem to have changed the order of the events. Maybe they will show this incident as the spark that started the 4th prince's coup. But without the jealous wife angle. If I remember correctly that princess's father was a very powerful person and may have a lot of enemies. 

Spoiler

The coup lasted for about 10 days or something. And all that time Sheng papa and Changbai were inside the palace....Sheng Papa and his colleagues hid themselves somewhere but Changbai was going through a harrowing time. All his colleagues were being killed off in front of him one by one.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ForgottenSoulx said:

I still think Manniang is portrayed fine shes still crazy,selfish,jealous does not love her kids etc.. its very similar. 

Although I don’t love Manning. I can’t determine yet if the character isn’t the same as the drama. From my point of view, Mannian loves Bai He and doesn’t love her kids. She wanted to get rid of Momo, but there is. I say Bai He will get rid of Momo when she loves him and doesn’t care for his money. She has always been on his side. Manning didn’t lie on the fact she only sold these things because he told he was broke. The fact she lied to him about everything.

Chingu’s Help me 

Is this drama TV versus being translated on YouTube???

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

Although I don’t love Manning. I can’t determine yet if the character isn’t the same as the drama. From my point of view, Mannian loves Bai He and doesn’t love her kids. She wanted to get rid of Momo, but there is. I say Bai He will get rid of Momo when she loves him and doesn’t care for his money. She has always been on his side. Manning didn’t lie on the fact she only sold these things because he told he was broke. The fact she lied to him about everything.

Chingu’s Help me 

Is this drama TV versus being translated on YouTube???

Yes it is translated on YouTube but far behind. Other online site is faster but not that fast. Have to wait a day or two for it to be translated. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

Just watched ep 25 & 26 in raw. Need subtitles...:( À lot of stuff can't understand as my Mandarin is limited.

Love how GTY shadow ML home and taught her to use the hand arms. How he single handedly fight off the bandits and told them to spare the granny carriage and shadow Granny and ML home.

Reveal hidden contents

Does that mean GTY likes ML already?? Or is he doing it purely because he's family friend of Sheng?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, m0us3y said:

Does that mean GTY likes ML already?? Or is he doing it purely because he's family friend of Sheng?

Spoiler

@m0us3y i think gty likes ml already. He very impressed with ml during their last encounter. The fact that ml concerned about Rong er (gty's daughter) was a plus factor in favor of ML. And he follow ML advised to go back and not to foil  his and his daughter future loitering araound jianghu. Beside, he taught rong er to call ML as auntie and not sister just show that he didn't regard ML as baby anymore but as a grown woman. 

• Like 7

I have been lurking around the forum for a while and enjoyed reading the discussions on the show.I don't understand mandarin, can anyone help me understand  what GTY and minglan talked  about in epi 28 preview?

• Like 3

Ep 23: My favorite scene: ML and GTY strolling the beach at dusk before she left the camp of the sea folks to reunite with her grandma and the rest of her relatives at the Sheng ancestral home. It is as if they had never been apart and they just picked up from where they left off many years ago when GTY helped the 8 year old ML bring the doctor to her ailing mother and then became friends. They were open and easy as they revealed their experience of prejudice and deceit from family members growing up, their means of coping derived from the strategems of war and experience itself. ML is reserved and does not bare her thoughts easily to anyone even with grandma (who can see through her) but not with GTY. Deep down she trusts GTY who in turn has no problem being himself with ML. They even talked about GTY's daughter and advised GTY about how to raise his daughter.  He told ML about Manniang, that ML was right about her and it was him who could not see it. These 2 are family, they are honest with each other. What they talked about, they probably would not easily talk about with other people. 

EP 24: not fully subbed in VIKI yet but ML's solution or her cousin Shulan's dilemma. "You can't take boiling water from a pot then put it back, but you can take away the fuel from under it". So her recommendation was separation or divorce.

Question: I am not sure but I think  one of the aunts or ML also said that if cousin Ping Lan married into an honorable family, that her sister Shulan, a divorced woman, would be protected by Ping Lan's husband's family? If that is the case, then does ML tell grandma to have Ping Lan marry the doctor instead of her? 

• Like 7

I watch ep 25 raw, eventho I don't understand at all but I love how GTY secretly follow/protect ML, grandma and their crew, I just remember the quote "love is not what you say, love is what you do", time to move my ship :P

• Like 5