Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] The Rise of Phoenixes 凰权·弈天下

8 hours ago, skibbies said:

WIth Ning Chuan and keeping their secret, from her pov it'd be freeing them for his own agenda, which she doesn't know about. There's no reason to suspect at the time that Ning Yi likes Zhiwei (it's debatable from audience point of view that he likes her romantically at that point. He's interested in her, I'm still not sure about like).

Yeah I meant eventually realizing it... certainly not at that point but you know, the evidence piling up or something like that. And although it was for Ning Yi's own agenda, he still could have used the revelation of their secret to further his agenda against the crown prince, but instead he completely kept it hidden. Even if not for the love of Zhiwei, it still tells of the kind of man Ning Yi is. But I think she still never saw that. I feel like, whatever Ning Yi did, she turned a blind eye to it.

8 hours ago, skibbies said:

For the death sentence, yeah she might have turned blind eye to that, because what else was she suppose to do? He represent the family that destroyed her kingdom and her family. Even if there's feelings between her daughter and this prince, who's to say how much of it is real and how much of it is manipulation or with an agenda? I think even when she wanted to let Zhiwei do what she does, it doesn't include getting involved with Ning Yi in anyway because it's antithesis of what she believed in her entire life. Maybe if they had 10, 20 years, she would change.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. I am not saying that her character didn't have realistic motivations or views, I'm just saying that she chose only to look at the darker side of Ning Yi because it would not do well for her to actually see him as a good person. She has her own reasons for it, but I feel that gratefulness would never come into her mind no matter what Ning Yi would do. I mean, I don't think the thought that Ning Yi really likes her daughter came to her mind, because she doesn't even see Ning Yi as a person. Only an enemy. She is not intentionally being ungrateful. She just could not credit him for anything. But yeah, maybe 10-20 years can make her finally really see him as a person. 

2 hours ago, niniandkun said:

This is shallow but it irks me that she has the same hairstyle as Qiu Mingying. She better get a new hairdo as empress :lol:

I support the idea of her being empress only because I want NY to experience fatherhood and have the opportunity to be a better father than his own in this lifetime.

From the short scenes we see of her I can't see much physical chemistry between her and NY. Thats good, NY should'nt have it too good either. He better not fall for her, not even as a minor second love. Just care for her as a friend and mother of his kids. I allow him to experience other joys but not romantic love. Thats reserved for Zhiwei in his next life. I've officially lost it....:crazy::lol:

She does? Oh I didn't notice it. The style looks different on her so I didn't notice it. 

Oh yes! Definitely I do not wat them to have chemistry and fall in love or anything like that. I want them to be in a relationship like how Ning Yi was to Zhuyin. But of course they still have to propagate. lol. I totally agree to all of what you said. The reason I like Yangci is because I don't think she is the type of person who would get attracted to Ning Yi at all. She seems to be very logical and level-headed. I think she would make a great ally. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pollen Ainne said:

Oh yes! Definitely I do not wat them to have chemistry and fall in love or anything like that. I want them to be in a relationship like how Ning Yi was to Zhuyin. But of course they still have to propagate

I'm still in denial that NY will need to propagate with someone else....

Actually, doesn't Sec Yao look like he's almost 60?  Assuming his daughter is in her 20s, doesn't it mean he had her at a very old age?  In fact, the Emperor seems pretty old too, compared to the age of the Princes.  Is it that common back then for men to marry young but bear kids much later in life?  Even for Dahua who seems to have been married to XZY for a long time, she was barren until the miscarriage.  Or was it that it was actually biologically difficult to bear children back then (ie because of plagues or disease?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, troptina said:

I'm still in denial that NY will need to propagate with someone else....

Actually, doesn't Sec Yao look like he's almost 60?  Assuming his daughter is in her 20s, doesn't it mean he had her at a very old age?  In fact, the Emperor seems pretty old too, compared to the age of the Princes.  Is it that common back then for men to marry young but bear kids much later in life?  Even for Dahua who seems to have been married to XZY for a long time, she was barren until the miscarriage.  Or was it that it was actually biologically difficult to bear children back then (ie because of plagues or disease?

It wasn't biologically difficult to bear children, it's just that all the rich men keep acquiring more consorts. One of those situations where the men get older, but the girls they marry stay the same age. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tendrilsofwind said:

It wasn't biologically difficult to bear children, it's just that all the rich men keep acquiring more consorts. One of those situations where the men get older, but the girls they marry stay the same age. 

That could be true, but it seems kinda strange that even among the Princes only Nng Qi was married.  Since NY was probably 26y, then the Crown Prince being the oldest was probably no more than 10y older.  I'm guessing he was probably between 30-36y in age, but wasn't married yet.  Why weren't the older princes married yet?  Meanwhile the first thing the Emperor did after NY got out of the temple was to have him marry Qiu Yu Luo.  

I was also trying to pinpoint at what point did NY and FZW realize they loved each other?  Of course Minhai was when they consciously admitted it .  But subconconsciously they probably knew earlier on.  For NY, I feel the subconscious realization probably took place sometime after the killing of Crown Prince but before the pseudo kissing scene after the failed explosion attack. It would have been really out-of-character for him to do that if he didn't have romantic interest in her by that point.  For FZW, I find it harder to tell.  I can't really tell if she fell in love with him before Minhai or not.  During the Crown Prince killing incident, it seems she really cared for NY--otherwise she wouldn't have run to the scene of the shooting while Huai Shi and Gu Nanyi advised her to stay away.  But probably she didn't love him at that point yet.  At the prison cell before her sentencing when NY presented 2 options, she'd rather die than to entangle NY into the mess as way to repay him.  So I feel her earliest subconscious expression of love for NY was probably during the excursion to town right before Minhai when she bought him that statue gift.  By the time they were on the boat heading to Minhai, when she referred to the fog blocking her ability to see clearly, I think she was already realizing that she loved him.  But at that time she was confused about her emotions towards him.  

• Like 2

I'm on vacation in Italy right now so have had no time just yet to respond to everyone's interesting posts but I've been silently following along!

I did want to say one thing- I am in Ravenna today and started thinking about Zhiwei and Ning Yi while staring at the incredible Byzantine mosaics at the Basilica of San Vitale.

That sound like crazy fangirl behavior? Probably. Let me explain. The basilica was built by the emperor Justinian and his empress Theodora in 547. Justinian and Theodora's relationship was a real life grand romance and a true meeting of the minds and collaboration of intellectual equals. She was a courtesan whose father was a bear trainer; he came from a farming family whose path to the throne was unexpected indeed. To marry her, Justinian had his uncle the emperor Justin change the law forbidding government officials from marrying actresses. Justinian immediately made her co-regent upon becoming emperor, giving her equal power and authority. They worked together closely in all things and were the perfect political tagteam. Their gorgeous mosaic portraits in San Vitale (of equal size and fineness) have faced each other for almost 1500 years - how romantic! This excellent blog post goes into more detail about their backgrounds and some highlights (and also a rather illuminating low point) of their reign: https://nefchronicles.wordpress.com/2015/06/04/theodora-justinian-reign-of-equals/amp/

Zhiwei was not a courtesan in the drama and Ning Yi was not a farmer. But they found each other under unexpected circumstances, first getting to know each other disguised as a silly girl pretending to be a House of Lanxiang courtesan and a humble little tailor. They gained unexpected power through wit, strategy, and trust in each other. If only the ending could have been different for Zhiwei, could their relationship have blossomed into a beautiful partnership like Justinian and Theodora? I like to imagine it. 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, troptina said:

That could be true, but it seems kinda strange that even among the Princes only Nng Qi was married.  Since NY was probably 26y, then the Crown Prince being the oldest was probably no more than 10y older.  I'm guessing he was probably between 30-36y in age, but wasn't married yet.  Why weren't the older princes married yet?  Meanwhile the first thing the Emperor did after NY got out of the temple was to have him marry Qiu Yu Luo.  

Yeah it comes off little strange, but I think Crown Prince is married at least, it's just we are never shown or told about them  because they aren't relevant to the story. Consort Chang tries to get Ning Sheng a wife on Emperor's birthday (yknow, when Zhiwei was in her ugly getup), presumbly to gather up more allies. No one mentions Crown Prince, ok, Ning Yan was dead I suppose. BUT she also previously mentioned giving makeup or something to his wife, so she must have died between then and now. (or it's a plot hole. either way, Ning Sheng had a wife at some point)

Under normal circumstances, Ning Yi should have some consort or something at the very least. He only sort of gets away with it because you can handwave he was in prison since he was 18. He shouldn't have been able to escape marriage after that. They should all be married once they hit 20 (coming of age for men). Only Ning Ji gets away with it because he's still a teenager. I DO want to know where Crown Prince's kids are though. You can't possibly tell me he's 30 or smth and a Crown Prince and his kids doesn't show up to Emperor's birthday. Anyways the drama works with modern ages a lot, everything is weird when you work with ancient times age.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, storyofthestone said:

Zhiwei was not a courtesan in the drama and Ning Yi was not a farmer. But they found each other under unexpected circumstances, first getting to know each other disguised as a silly girl pretending to be a House of Lanxiang courtesan and a humble little tailor. They gained unexpected power through wit, strategy, and trust in each other. If only the ending could have been different for Zhiwei, could their relationship have blossomed into a beautiful partnership like Justinian and Theodora? I like to imagine it. 

Thank you for sharing that! Real life is indeed stranger than fiction. I desperately want to believe this could've happened for Zhiwei and NingYi. I don't care for many drama couples people fawn over, if it doesn't work out i think oh well it is what it is that's the story and move on. But this OTP...sigh still bummed that their potential wasn't realized. They barely got together and then bam over for good.

However, the imperial system is different in different regions and eras. All monarchies don't operate the same way. Earlier others had remarked on the forum how Tiansheng's system itself is different from Jinshi. Zhiwei wouldn't be as free being empress of Tiansheng like she was Queen of Jinshi.

As a lay person and a foreigner, idk how unrealistic it will be if Zhiwei was co-regent in a kingdom based on the Tang Dynasty. Others had mentioned the importance of support from the officials. @skibbies think you said before there was a rule that empresses/consorts cannot interfere with politics whatsoever? Course this is fiction so anything should be possible but again we don't know how odd it will seem to viewers who understand the culture of that era.

Personally I'm all for it. This is what I hoped for them. I don't see why NingYi can't manipulate and make it happen if he wanted to. I can see drama Zhiwei being opposed to it in the beginning because she isn't thirsty for that level of power (and headache that comes with it) but later wanting it so she will have power to protect those she cares about.

@tendrilsofwind and @skibbies what do you guys think?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, niniandkun said:

As a lay person and a foreigner, idk how unrealistic it will be if Zhiwei was co-regent in a kingdom based on the Tang Dynasty. Others had mentioned the importance of support from the officials. @skibbies think you said before there was a rule that empresses/consorts cannot interfere with politics whatsoever? Course this is fiction so anything should be possible but again we don't know how odd it will seem to viewers who understand the culture of that era.

Personally I'm all for it. This is what I hoped for them. I don't see why NingYi can't manipulate and make it happen if he wanted to. I can see drama Zhiwei being opposed to it in the beginning because she isn't thirsty for that level of power (and headache that comes with it) but later wanting it so she will have power to protect those she cares about.

Tang dynasty is relatively modern compared to all the other dynasties, it had frequent interactions with foreigners and women had more  power than any other time in Imperial China. After all, it's the dynasty Empress Wu Zetian came into power. In other dynasties, there's also been Empress Dowager who had de facto control over court for period of time, through puppet Emperor, but they all have very unique circumstances. The general rule is indeed the empress/consorts can't interfere with court, and it comes off very strange to the Chinese audience if they do, especially with this team and their focus. It's very clear they were aiming for realistic-ish story that could have happened in Imperial China,

It's not that this story can't have an Empress that rule, the book did after all, but the book was also more fantasty than the drama is and was far more romantic focused and Zhiwei centric, it's just the story would had to be adapted by a different team. Which would mean different production values, focus, probably actors, so entirely different drama. The closest thing would be that Ning Yi ask for Zhiwei's opinion in private, but it'd still be more unrealistic than this drama's tone have been. Also it's just pretty unrealistic for them to rule together considering their family set up, officials would raise hell over this empress, and even disregarding that, I don't want Zhiwei to share her husband with other consorts!

For them to reign over the empire together, it'd have to be the kind of drama where she would marry Ning Yi in the beginning, if that make sense? (Come, someone write that fanfic.)

• Like 4

18 hours ago, storyofthestone said:

I'm on vacation in Italy right now....

Wow It's amazing!  Sorry to cut your comment.

Ciao a tutti!

Hi, I'm addicted with this drama.

Thank you all for the interesting comments, I read you with pleasure!

Benvenuto in Italy   storyofthestone !

Welcome to Italy! Thank you for the interesting love story, I know it, and I love the Basilica of San Vitale. I live here on the Adriatic, near Ravenna, in Rimini. Are you planning to visit the Republic of San Marino? We wish you a pleasant stay and vivid impressions.

3 hours ago, skibbies said:

It's not that this story can't have an Empress that rule, the book did after all, but the book was also more fantasty than the drama is and was far more romantic focused and Zhiwei centric, it's just the story would had to be adapted by a different team. Which would mean different production values, focus, probably actors, so entirely different drama. The closest thing would be that Ning Yi ask for Zhiwei's opinion in private, but it'd still be more unrealistic than this drama's tone have been. Also it's just pretty unrealistic for them to rule together considering their family set up, officials would raise hell over this empress, and even disregarding that, I don't want Zhiwei to share her husband with other consorts!

Thanks for your input! Its harder for an outsider to understand the hard and soft limits. I thought about Wu Zetian and did hear that Tang dynasty was less restrictive. But don't know how far that extends. 

I wouldn't think anything was off if zhiwei got to be co-regent in Tiensheng but they can't ignore the expectations of the target audience. It didn't do well there as it is. And thank heavens the tone of the show isn't fantasy. 

Anyone know if the show is on any streaming service there (mainland China) ? All 70 episodes? Whats their opinion after watching everything? Is the show already forgotten? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, niniandkun said:

Anyone know if the show is on any streaming service there (mainland China) ? All 70 episodes? Whats their opinion after watching everything? Is the show already forgotten? 

iQiyi, one of the biggest streaming platform in China. It's still free too. (some videos on these streaming platforms are subscriptions only, some have few ep free and rest are subs, then there's some recent movies that you have to buy "ticket" for) It updated along with the TV version, DVD version updated at 4 episodes (compared to TV's 2) a day near the end because they cut so much. Starting from ep 1x, there were already lots of people on douban and weibo urging people to watch the DVD version. So anyone that super cared about it likely seen 70 episodes already.

It finished broadcasting 2 days after Netflix started streaming, but there were people watching it well into October, likely picking it up during the weeklong National Day holidays in early Oct. The discussion died down in November but it still gets occasional new threads on douban, the fans would rewatch them and watch MVs and whatnot, also vote for them in various competitions. A lot of them also went to watch the OTP's previous works to try to get out of obsessive mode, to various degree of success.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skibbies said:

A lot of them also went to watch the OTP's previous works to try to get out of obsessive mode, to various degree of success

*laughs miserably* 

I am still borderline obsessively stalking this page (and the rest of relevant soompi). I'm also itching to give a reply to the ongoing discussions but formulating any reply that's worth reading by you lovely lot requires more cognitive function than I can spare right now. Slightly sleep deprived and majority of brain power held hostage by work, BUT THIS SHOW STILL HAS MY LOVE. *sinks back into abyss*

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, niniandkun said:

However, the imperial system is different in different regions and eras. All monarchies don't operate the same way. Earlier others had remarked on the forum how Tiansheng's system itself is different from Jinshi. Zhiwei wouldn't be as free being empress of Tiansheng like she was Queen of Jinshi.

@skibbies pretty much covered everything. I agree that it would be completely unrealistic for her to be coregent. Wu Zetian is really peerless and managed that feat through both tactical brilliance and ruthlessness, which the drama version of Zhiwei would never resort to. After her death, her daughter and daughter in law as well (I think) tried to emulate her, but were both killed. Wu Zetian is actually my favorite historical figure. Please don't watch the recent drama about her as they made her too insipid to bear.

Zhiwei would probably have even less power than most other empresses due to the fact that she was a princess from a former dynasty. Ning Yi seems to do what he wants, but he still has to consult his advisors/court. They would probably have allowed him to marry her and then raised an uproar about designating her as his empress. NY would also have been forced to marry multiple consorts in order to ensure he had enough heirs. 

I also feel like NY's position is not that secure. His dad set a precedent for usurping the throne if you believe the emperor to have lost the mandate of heaven, and that destabilizes the position. It's why Ning Shizheng was so paranoid all the time and why he asked FZW that third test question. I think Zhao Kuangyin used a similar line of reasoning to legitimize himself as emperor, founding the Song Dynasty, and he asked all his old friends and generals to retire. In this atmosphere, it is even more important for NY to follow all the rules.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Zhiwei as Empress Convo (Too many points to quote everyone. lol)

Although realistically, it might not be a good idea, I still feel like had Zhiwei become Empress, most viewers will just accept it. There will be hard times ahead of course, but as long as they are together they might still push through and be happy. Or maybe it will end up badly, but as I have learned from a long time ago, there is really no happy ending, it all just depends on when you end your story. Most romances end on a high note where people get married and are happy, but after the credits roll something bad could have happened and they get divorced. Or the other one dies, or maybe even the entire world exploded. No one knows. The important thing is when they chose to end the story.

After saying that, I will also say, that there is something significant about Zhiwei not becoming Empress of Tiansheng. Even in the novel, Ning Yi was the one who had to step down to marry her and not her marrying him and becoming Empress. Zhiwei is basically the symbol of the old ways (despite her modern personality). Even when she rose up, she was the symbol of bringing back the old Kingdom instead of establishing a new one. And it seems the story is not trying to marry the old to the new, or to get back the old Dynasty, but to establish a new rule. The old dynasty has to end. Ning Yi wanted change, not just change from the past but even changes from the present. A lot of changes he will make might even make enemies to those that once supported him. It is sad, because Zhiwei's personality makes her the best person to help in creating this change, however her identity does the complete opposite, and sad to say, her identity is more important to the people rather than her personality.

In the end, the book made the best choice of placing Ning Ji on the throne with Ning Yi and Zhiwei as his confidants. Although in the drama, Ning Yi already gave up on the throne once, so it doesn't make me feel good to see him do it again.

• Like 3

On 12/7/2018 at 6:57 AM, tendrilsofwind said:

Wu Zetian is really peerless and managed that feat through both tactical brilliance and ruthlessness, which the drama version of Zhiwei would never resort to. After her death, her daughter and daughter in law as well (I think) tried to emulate her, but were both killed. Wu Zetian is actually my favorite historical figure. Please don't watch the recent drama about her as they made her too insipid to bear.

Is it the Empress of China? Its not an easy feat to portray someone so badass. And dramas probably love to milk the sensational bits. I was introduced to her in a documentary but it was too documentary-ish to finish. So I read up on her afterward. It would be nice to see a modern TV adaptation that wasn't melodramatic or too historical. Something that captures her essence and shows the sheer force of nature she was (crazy included). More than acting that would need exceptional writers.

6 hours ago, Pollen Ainne said:

After saying that, I will also say, that there is something significant about Zhiwei not becoming Empress of Tiansheng. Even in the novel, Ning Yi was the one who had to step down to marry her and not her marrying him and becoming Empress. Zhiwei is basically the symbol of the old ways (despite her modern personality). Even when she rose up, she was the symbol of bringing back the old Kingdom instead of establishing a new one. And it seems the story is not trying to marry the old to the new, or to get back the old Dynasty, but to establish a new rule. The old dynasty has to end. Ning Yi wanted change, not just change from the past but even changes from the present. A lot of changes he will make might even make enemies to those that once supported him. It is sad, because Zhiwei's personality makes her the best person to help in creating this change, however her identity does the complete opposite, and sad to say, her identity is more important to the people rather than her personality.

You're right Zhiwei reconciling with Tiansheng does seem odd somehow. It doesn't do her identity justice. In this regard too I like the novel's storyline of her establishing dacheng for a while. But show seems really opposed to dacheng only vaguely showing their side. All the supporters just look nuts to us. There's still such a romantic ring to NY and FZY working together in a position of power, combining their talents bringing justice and prosperity to this land. I'm reminded of your episodic detective show idea. Maybe they can rename the empire...hmm a girl can dream :P

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alittlemei said:

It bothers me that the show says there’s 10 princes but it was never shown. I kept wondering what happened to the rest of the princes 

4th, 8th and 9th are missing, presumbly died when they were young. Children mortality rate was high, even amongst the rich and powerful then. I'm more surprised so many of them survived to be honest, especially the ones before Ning Yi. It was war time which means chaos, which is not kids-friendly.

For comparison, Kangxi Emperor's prince power struggle (most recently featured in BBJX) has 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 13th and 14th prince fighting for it. Kangxi had 24 princes at the time, I guess a lot of the younger ones didn't participate but still. You never see them in stories because they aren't relevant.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 4:27 PM, galea said:

I am still borderline obsessively stalking this page (and the rest of relevant soompi). I'm also itching to give a reply to the ongoing discussions but formulating any reply that's worth reading by you lovely lot requires more cognitive function than I can spare right now

I totally empathize.  It feels like me too.  This was the first historical drama I've watched in over 15years, which by chance I happen to check out on Netflix during a period of frequent air travel.  And now I'm obsessively checking out the twitter feed and the weekly novel translations from ninjareflection.com, and braving the manga translation when I have enough time to waste.  I'm still rewatching my favorite parts over and over again.  It feels like I can't move on to another show!  I don't think I can't get into any more emotionally investing movies for a while.  Maybe I should go back to watching Friends reruns for an emotional safehaven for a while.

One thing this movie did get me back into are OLD SONGS, both English and Chinese ones.  Around the time of the drama's ending, I found myself really connecting with this old song by Richard Marx, Hold On To the Night.  It reminds me how their affections of love love were mostly evident in the dark (ie, explosives scene, cave scene, water scene).  This song is like the battlecry for their love to endure despite an unlikely fate.

The other song I've been re-listening to is from Faye Wong, "Wo Yuan Yi" (I'm Willing For you). The English lyrics are so beautiful and capture the spirit of loving someone utterly and unconditionally.  This nicely depicts how NY and FZW feel for each other.  The English lyrics can be found in the you tube video and at https://lyricstranslate.com/en/wo-yuanyi-wei-ni-我愿意为你-im-willing-you.html.

On 12/6/2018 at 7:27 PM, galea said:

*laughs miserably* 

I am still borderline obsessively stalking this page (and the rest of relevant soompi). I'm also itching to give a reply to the ongoing discussions but formulating any reply that's worth reading by you lovely lot requires more cognitive function than I can spare right now. Slightly sleep deprived and majority of brain power held hostage by work, BUT THIS SHOW STILL HAS MY LOVE. *sinks lol,back into abyss*

Lol too true, I  have tried to look at trailers for other dramas but I  keep returning to RotP. 

Thanks for the historical background but all of the facts make me appreciate fiction even more. I could easily envision NY as a great emporor, a different type of emporor, one who would stretch  bounderies  and possibly break rules. After all his iconoclastic nature is part of his character. Isn't  that why he was released from the temple?

I was reassured by the comment related to characters not dying after going over a cliff. In a wuxia world the devoted GuNanyi  (last order to follow and protect ) would bust a move and break her fall, freeing them to return to Minhai  or  resume her position as Queen.

Does anyone have an opinion on my suspicion that NingYi  might imprison  FengZhiwei  in the same way his father imprisoned  Yale?  Don't  throw stones just speculating.

When were they in love? JmT,  their attraction, followed by infatuation happened early on. Deepening feelings quickly follow demonstrated by the trust factor. They may not understand but they trust each other implicitly.  By the time they are in the cave it is a done deal. I give both actors huge thanks  for creating such a sweet and realistic scene. When FengZhiwei  huddled close positioning her head so she could hear NingYi s heart beat as she slept was something every audience member could relate to.  Safety, contentment, and trust equal a higher form of love beyond simple physical desire ( but that WAS on my mind, naughty me )

Why does FengZhiwei  continue to honor the vow she took to Mama Q after she discovers that Mama isn't  her mama and the father referenced wasn't  her real father? How could the oath be valid if it was based on lies?

• Like 2

I was slightly able to lessen my obsession with TRoP by channeling all that energy into watching Chen Kun and Ni Ni's other works. But then someone posted that video of "Ning Yi" bumping into "Ziyan" backstage at the 17th Huabiao Awards, and it immediately triggered those feelings all over again, and now here I am. Bah! 

I'm currently watching Ame no Symphony/Love Story in Shanghai. But after that's done, I think I'm ready for another (fourth) rewatch of TRoP.

17 hours ago, whisper1 said:

Does anyone have an opinion on my suspicion that NingYi  might imprison  FengZhiwei  in the same way his father imprisoned  Yale?  Don't  throw stones just speculating.

I'm of the camp that doesn't think he would or that he is much like his father in that respect. Seeing her happy in Jinshi, he would rather let her go than impose. That "bed scene" (which I felt was lacking in so many ways and could have been done better!) showed such a stark contrast to the way his father spoke to Yale. Zhiwei was not looking at Ning Yi as if she hated and feared him, and he was pouring out his heart to her with such beautiful words, while shedding tears. It also didn't register with me until now, but Zhiwei was the one embracing him from behind. If she found him abhorrent, I would think it should be him forcefully embracing her, while she remained stone cold. But that wasn't that case. As much as I hated that scene, there is some significance in their interaction with each other there. I still saw love in her eyes, but I also saw immense pain and sadness.

Unlike his father, Ning Yi seems capable of great empathy for people, and he created strong bonds with women in the story like Zhuyin, Zhiwei, Gugu, and his mother. He also has a strong sense of justice.

So, no, I don't believe that he will imprison her.  BUT I fear that he will keep putting himself in harm's way or pitting himself against other people to save her, which is not going to sit well with a lot of people.

• Like 1