Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Guardian 镇魂

Hi all, 

I'm a big fan of Guardian and of course Zhu Yilong and Baiyu. You guys seem really informative. I was wondering if anyone else know any other forums of Guardian that is in English? I have joined a really good one with like minded and passionate people! They have Tons of info on Guardian and do lots of translation too. 

I was really frustrated not being able to get any detailed information that wasn't in chinese and was really happy to find Soompi too. Not sure if I'm allowed to put link up here? So sorry if I have done wrong!

https://discord.gg/uHs7sr

• Like 2

ZYL interview  (http://www.wesydney.com.au/zhu-yilong-interview/)

WechatIMG32-600x330.jpg

Exclusive interview with actor Zhu Yilong in the "Citywalker乐城" magazine in Sydney: Silence is not reticence

WechatIMG277.jpg

People in this peculiar world are studying "The art of Speaking". But actor Zhu Yilong remains reserved, reticent. Eliminating the glib and routines, when he talks, he is used to looking at each other’s eyes. It seems to be a long-time reunion friend - after the return of the wind and snow storm, he is not tired, like shaking off snow from a flower , he is pure as a teenager. He has the gentleness, is easily embarrassed. Naturally, there is also his persistence, in the act of being an actor, he insisted in the end there is an effort. Not too flashy and yet never silent.

Accepting Shen Wei, Expressing Shen Wei

When there was news that "Soul of the town/Guardian" was going to shoot a network drama, many original fans are rejected it. After all, in the hearts of the avid reader "to restore the role of the book" is almost an impossible task. But from the wait for the roles to be determined, to starting shooting, broadcast of trailers and teasers, then to finalise the date, worries and concerns have turned into surprises and expectations. Many book fans sincerely say: "There is no more suitable for the role than Zhu Yilong." "This is simply the Shen Wei of the book."

WechatIMG19.jpg

Taking the on "Soul of the Town" was a new attempt for Zhu Yilong. It was also his first contact with the fantasy theme. And one person is playing three characters. A double test, Zhu Yilong was pleased to meet the challenge. Three months of shooting time, let Zhu Yilong follow the footsteps of Shen Wei, take the road he walked, feel his joys and sorrows.

WechatIMG18.jpg

Zhu Yilong said that the most touching thing about this story is "Shen Wei". This character, "The spirit of his guardianship and self-sacrifice is what I want to convey and shape." Zhu Yilong usually speaks less words and is quiet. The similarity with Shen Wei is that "Both are relatively restrained."

In order to make himself feel same as Shen Wei, Zhu Yilong tried to abandon some of his own habits. Feeling the character from the novel and screenplay, "Sincerely accept Shen Wei, Express Shen Wei."

WechatIMG5.jpg

There is a sea in his eyes

After "Shen Wei" swiped on Weibo, a new word became popular, that is the "eye-tech." What impressed me most is when Shen Wei appeared at the scene, he was brought back to the "Special Investigation Department" to be asked questions, three people took turns to interrogate. Shen Wei, the former two times of the trial, he is very calm and quiet, but when Zhao YunLan appears in the interrogation room, Shen Wei's face immediately switches to the "wronged and innocent" mode, eyes express innocence.

WechatIMG6.jpg

“Micro-expressions, expressions of some eyes, and emotions are based on understanding (characters and stories). Through the current emotions and the content that you want to express in the prescribed situation, through your own understanding, Expressed from the outside. ” Although Zhu Yilong explained to the reporter in great detail the expression of "eye skills", but it sounds like a science that can only be said to be unspeakable and unwritable.

WechatIMG20.jpg

There are many scenes in the drama that deal with and express the emotions of the characters through details such as eyes, micro-expressions, and small movements, so that the people who watch the drama feel that it is a surprise everywhere. The comments from the barrage at a glance speak that "Zhu Yilong’s eyes can talk."

Interestingly, the fans’ curtains and messages also brought surprises to Zhu Yilong. “It’s very nice to see the barrage and the message, because I found that everyone watches carefully and it is really meticulous. Or the subconscious, inadvertent action can be seen by the audience, so I feel that I must be more careful and careful when I am more creative."

WechatIMG13.jpg

Zhu Yilong says, "The underwater world is quite different from the surface water. It seems like everything gets quieter deeper under the water."

Citywalker : Shen Wei in the drama, according to script, is very guarded and restrained. Your own mood, playing this role did it make you feel a little depressed?

ZYL : This role I did not feel depressed, because the shooting scene was very happy and lively, the atmosphere was very good.

Citywalker : Do you remember what the first scene with Bai Yu was after entering the production? Was it embarrassing?

ZYL : The first scene I shot after entering the group was: he helped me out in the alley and got hurt, then after returning to my home, I helped him rub the medicine.  He was not very familiar at the time. The first time we shot, it was quite embarrassing.

WechatIMG7.jpg

Citywalker Evaluate Bai Yu teacher. Did he make the studio full of joy? What is the most interesting thing in the shooting process?

ZYL : Bai Yu's character is especially cheerful, very frank and straightforward. So as he is more active on the scene, we had quick chemistry. About fun things on the scene, at the beginning I brought a balance car. Because sometimes we have to run far to go to the toilet, it is more convenient to use a balance car while filming. Bai Yu always borrowed my car to play. Once I teased him and said that I would not let you borrow. As a result, he bought one for himself the next day. He also wanted to show off to me, also wanted to race with me.

WechatIMG33.jpg

Citywalker :  In "Soul of the Town", together with Zhao YunLan, played by Bai Yu, you are guardian of the world peace. Do you have any heroes whom you particularly admire? What is the reason for worshipping them?

ZYL : The heroes I admire, I think it is our own armed police officers and soldiers. They are the guardian of our peace, who defend the homeland, so that we can have a stable life and peace of mind to do what you want to do.

Citywalker :  Your personality is quiet, but as an actor, you need to face the camera. Also answer all the questions (as at the moment ......), have you ever regretted your original choice? If not an actor, what do you most want to do?

ZYL : I never regretted being an actor, because being a good actor is my dream. If I was't an actor, then, I don't know what else I would do, because there had never been anything else.

WechatIMG29.jpg

Citywalker :  From your debut to the present, you have created many excellent characters, there are more and more fans who like you, what do you think is the biggest change along the way?

ZYL : Along the way, in fact, there is not much change in myself. It may be that as the experience has increased, I have matured a bit. My own insights on feelings and life experiences can be put into the role to make the role more complicated and richer.

Citywalker :  You are less talkative. What do you want to say as heartfelt words to someone who supports you?

ZYL : I want to say to everyone, thank you all for supporting me. What I can give back to everyone is to continue to portray characters, shape roles and give good works to everyone.

WechatIMG28.jpg

Citywalker :  You are usually busy at work, how long do you spend time with your family? Was there a time you felt sorry for missing an important holiday?

ZYL : I think the only difficulty in being an actor is to accompany my family. To be an actor is to run around the country all the year round and even around the world and I rarely spend time with my family. So I think that if I am not too busy after two years of filming, I will spend more time with my family.

Citywalker :  Since when did you start diving? What is the most impressive diving experience?

ZYL : The first dive should have been several years ago and it was in Palau, which was quite exciting. The most impressive diving experience was it took almost a week of test for the diving license. After entering the water, I feel that the underwater world is quite different from the surface water. Under the water, everything seems to be quieter.

Citywalker This year is your 30th year. What do you think 30 years mean for a man? Have you set a small goal for yourself?

ZYL : I feel that as I am standing at the age of thirties, it is obvious that people will no longer treat you as a student or an inexperienced young person. Regardless of whether you perform acting or do something, others want you to come up with something mature. When I have just reached thirties, I can have more responsibility of works. I don’t have any special goals for myself. I think I am on my way to the age of 30, I will follow my own pace and stick to it just fine.

WechatIMG26.jpg

《乐城》Fast Answer

Citywalker Everyone online is crazy about your face value, you are said to be a flourishing/overflowing beauty, what do you want to say about this?

ZYL : I don't pick and don't dare to act very beautiful roles, there is no flourishing beauty. According to my mother's words just, "ordinarily good looking".

Citywalker What is your favourite dish to eat?

ZYL : I like to eat all spicy food.

WechatIMG25.jpg

Citywalker :  What movie have you seen recently?

ZYL : Recently watched a movie called "The Avengers".

Citywalker If you compare yourself to a fruit, which one do you think it will be?

ZYL : Fruit, I haven't thought about it, it should be mangosteen.

Citywalker Will you use the emoticon pack while chatting? What is the most common expression used?

ZYL : The expression pack is not used much. Recently, I like to use the one that pushes the glasses. It feels very powerful, a bit like Shen Wei.

WechatIMG24.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did you guys watched NodeZero's most recent video? The one with the double twins of ZYL-SW and HC-LFS? That was genius! Genius!:D

On 10/4/2018 at 12:09 PM, ylywells1 said:

Hi all, 

I'm a big fan of Guardian and of course Zhu Yilong and Baiyu. You guys seem really informative. I was wondering if anyone else know any other forums of Guardian that is in English? I have joined a really good one with like minded and passionate people! They have Tons of info on Guardian and do lots of translation too. 

I was really frustrated not being able to get any detailed information that wasn't in chinese and was really happy to find Soompi too. Not sure if I'm allowed to put link up here? So sorry if I have done wrong!

I just finished watching Guardian. Like everyone else, i am digging more stuff about the actors. The withdrawal symptom for this drama is so painful. I can't get out of the story and i don't want to get out of this yet. The link https://discord.gg/uHs7sr is not working. Is this the forum on Guardian discussion? if you have an active link, please post it here again. Thanks. 

On 10/25/2018 at 2:03 PM, qayar said:

Just want to say that Guardian is back on YouTube

Do you know if those videos that Yoku currently have on Youtube are re-uploads or original uploads? Coz i heard that the videos that are re-uploaded on Yoku have some edits done to "pass" more restrictions and put back on Yoku channel.

On 7/19/2018 at 8:14 PM, RPM said:

I am really thankful for this extra content and the attention he paid to details just shows how amazing he is - he is not playing around, he takes his craft seriously. If you read this part in the novel, he totally nails the scene. The tone of his voice and the way he spells out words is spot on.

On 10/4/2018 at 9:09 PM, ylywells1 said:

Hi all, 

I'm in the same shoes. I am searching for a forum where I can actively converse about Guardian but I see this forum is pretty much dead too.

18 hours ago, gg9whitediamond said:

I just finished watching Guardian. Like everyone else, i am digging more stuff about the actors. The withdrawal symptom for this drama is so painful. I can't get out of the story and i don't want to get out of this yet. The link https://discord.gg/uHs7sr is not working. Is this the forum on Guardian discussion? if you have an active link, please post it here again. Thanks. 

Do you know if those videos that Yoku currently have on Youtube are re-uploads or original uploads? Coz i heard that the videos that are re-uploaded on Yoku have some edits done to "pass" more restrictions and put back on Yoku channel.

I binge read all 46 pages of this forum just to get something Guardian related content lol

I am low-key obsessed with this drama but there is no place where I can share my thought with others.

I think the eps. on the Yoyo channel are the originals. Yoyo just put the videos on private and when Youku finally re-uploaded them, Yoyo again made them available too. 

ALSO HUGE THANK YOU for the people who name dropped Ren Yankai as the og Shen Wei!Bless you, seriously. I've been searching for his name for months!

If anyone is interested in chatting about Guardian and Mo Dao Zu Shi (my current 2 obsessions) hit me up, dm me :)

• Like 1

https://discord.gg/k8FU7XG

Try this link guys. Lovely bunch we r (but be warned can get a little crazy in there!)

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:34 AM, TheRedDragon said:

WOW I like the way he answered the question, he focus on work, not talks too much. 

My first impression on him is not from guardian, I do not care about social/drama trends so I did not know the  existence of guardian. I first watched ZYL was as Fu Hong Xue character that I accidently saw on tv, the last episodes, and I fell for him. The most impressive thing to me back then was his eye acting. His Fu Hong Xue does nothing much, even crying is quiet, but I feel the pain and cried along. Then I searched about him and found guardian, I just finished this drama,  at the beginning the plot was not interesting to me and I do not like BL dramas but gradually I love it. The human relationship, especially the love between the two guys are so good to watch. And ZYL he did not surprise me about his eye acting because I already know it is great as always. In real life, he looks like a normal guy but on screen he becomes so charming and charismatic. He is my favorite actor of all time.

• Like 1

To be honest I'm really watching this for Zhu Yilong, an actor that I discovered and became enamoured with in Border Town Prodigal. Bai Yu is great too but it's Xiao Long's Shen Wei that I keep coming back for. Xiao Long excels in playing these sensitive, intelligent male characters and honestly, he was born to play the quiet, wise and ageless Shen Wei with those shifting eye expressions. He is just gloriously beautiful in this drama, dressed immaculately to add to the character's personality (as opposed to the more flamboyant, sometimes tacky wardrobe of Royal Sister Returns).

It's obvious that this show was made on a tight budget... the sets look like they're part of a theme park, the audio/dubbing is just cringeworthy... the storyline is not bad so far... with resonances of Hellboy and Fringe etc but it's the leads that lifts the material. The rest of the cast are a mixed bag... no one is outright woeful but I wish that Xiao Guo would learn how to use his telescopic baton properly. I can see what they're doing with the character and I've become quite fond of him but all those puerile comic relief moments need to ease up.

• Like 1