larus

[Current Drama 2017] Chicago Typewriter 시카고 타자기

739 posts in this topic

Posted

feel kinda annoyed when I barely managed to survive into friday... they postponed it. 

But glad, they'll still give us two eps back-to-back... yahoooo... no problems then! haha

@bebe1989 thank you, whoahh.. you make me swoon seeing him all in smiley mode. kyaaaahhh... he's soo sweet!

and for baek tae min, he's totally a psychopath, the moment when he threw his cat till her bones needs surgery... yaaahhh... he's PSYCHOPATH!! Se ju must save Seol from him! I am not glad TM provoking him by prying on SJ's 'belongings'.

Hwi Young and SY from the past might have a tragic ending, like one or both or three of them died with many things unfinished or misunderstanding. So, I hope there'll be an explanation why only Yoo was locked up in the typewriter and reunite with their reincarnations, curious, extremely curious, weekend palli wa... I am not that patient!!!

9 people like this

Posted

Pre-emptions in store for Chicago Typewriter

ChicagoRebel1.jpg

The South Korean presidential election is coming up in under two weeks, which means that this is probably just the first wave of drama pre-emptions in store for us. With debates and other election-related news specials popping up in the days leading up to the election, we have quite a few dramas already announcing programming changes. I know, it’s never good news for a drama addict! But on the upside, we’ll probably get a bunch of hilarious memes out of it.

tvN’s Chicago Typewriter will not air this Friday, April 28 due to presidential debates. Thankfully you won’t have to wait too long, because both Episodes 7 and 8 will air as a double-header on Saturday, April 29. I was just starting to get invested in the 1930s friendship and love triangle between Yoo Ah-in, Im Soo-jung, and Go Kyung-pyo, so this comes at a very inopportune time, but surely I can wait one day.

Fingers crossed that there won’t be any more pre-emptions ahead

Source: dramabeans.com

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

@bebe1989 Sorry to cut your post, but that smile is the cutest thing ever I have seen the KDrama world!!!

8 hours ago, bebe1989 said:

Hide contents

Edited by MadraRua
Please do not quote images
3 people like this

Posted

The story between Hwiyoung and So Hyun in the 1930s will finally unfold in episode 7 and 8. It looks like that they are indeed in love with each other. Can't wait!

9a4d8a38gy1ff1cgdvlrzg20hs0a0b2d.gif

9a4d8a38gy1ff1cgetzfgg20hs0a0b2b.gifc7708290ly1ff1fl05m18g20jg0efqv9.gif

9 people like this

Posted

1 hour ago, ohani said:

The story between Hwiyoung and So Hyun in the 1930s will finally unfold in episode 7 and 8. It looks like that they are indeed in love with each other. Can't wait!

Thank you for those gifs. Why is he covering his face? Reminds me of sungkyunkwan scandal's red messenger :wub:

5 people like this

Posted

TVN VIDEO SUMMARY EPISODES

Spoiler

Spoiler

7 people like this

Posted

:blush:preview eng sub

giphy.gif

:grimace:

7 people like this

Posted

i forgot Ep. 7 was originally scheduled to air Friday, April 28, 2017, but, due to the South Korean presidential election, ep.7 and ep.8 will air consecutively Saturday, April 29, 2017. I was waiting and waiting ...:lol:

6 people like this

Posted

@ohani I love your post!!!

Can't wait to see what happened in the past! I am going crazy, the wait until tomorrow is going to be a real struggle :confounded:

6 people like this

Posted

1 hour ago, andy78 said:

i forgot Ep. 7 was originally scheduled to air Friday, April 28, 2017, but, due to the South Korean presidential election, ep.7 and ep.8 will air consecutively Saturday, April 29, 2017. I was waiting and waiting ...:lol:

Oh my... :wacko: typewriter 'not-in-use' tonite...heee

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This is the original song...:astonished: (fun fact)

Happy weekend ...happy waiting...ops!

4 people like this

Posted

[INFO] #ChicagoTypewriter Special Compilation EP1-6 is NO.1 Top Trending Topic on Naver tonight 1f642.png:) #유아인 #시카고타자기

Source: DC SiTa

No automatic alt text available.

Please I beg you Korean viewersssssss heheheheheh.

Btw, Im Soo-jung in those still photos... Is she vampire? Didn't age at all since 2011

4 people like this

Posted

Hi there @triplem

Just temporarily delurking and tagging you because you mentioned on another thread  :) that you had questions about this kdrama. Now, I’m going out on a limb here but did your questions concern the ghostwriter Jin-Oh’s scenes with the Se-Ju’s agent Gal Ji-Seok and Se-Ju’s mentor/surrogate father? Like, how are these two men able to see Jin-Oh if JO is only a ghost? Do these men have special powers, too?

If you rewatch those scenes again, I think you’ll notice that Gal Ji-Seok never actually acknowledges JO’s presence. It’s a nice camera trick, though. When Ji-Seok walks out of the mansion, JO approaches him as if he’s been waiting for him to come out of the mansion. Then they both casually walk together. Gal Ji-Seok is expressing relief for evading SJ’s wrath, and JO interjects comments as if he’s part of Gal Ji-Seok’s conversation.  In reality, Gal Ji-Seok is only muttering to himself.  He doesn’t spare JO a glance the whole time.    

Same thing with the surrogate father, Baek Do-Ha. What he sees under the table isn’t JO, but the manuscript “Fate” which JO is sitting on. Baek Do-Ha is upset when he sees the manuscript.  Why? Because it’s evidence incriminating his son, and he thinks Se-Ju should have known better and should have disposed of it to prevent embarrassment and damage to his son’s and family’s reputation.  

But in regards to who this Ghostwriter Jin-Oh actually is, I don’t know yet.

He IS definitely a real phenomenon, and not something that Se-Ju is seeing simply because he’s having a nervous breakdown. The Chicago café owner didn’t imagine his encounter with the night-poltergeist. 

But right now, FOR ME, it’s possible that the:

1. Ghostwriter is a separate entity, an actual ghost of a friend of Se-Ju in the 1930s. Or,

2. The Ghostwriter is his ALTEREGO.  You see, Se-Ju has suppressed a lot of emotions to become the successful writer that he is now. And it’s possible that seeing that old typewriter again, his “old friend,” has reminded him – or TRIGGERED since we’re talking of Chicago Typewriter and machine guns :wink: – him of what it is to be a real writer again creating stories with his very own SOUL. The Ghostwriter JO is Se-Ju’s spiritual or ghostly manifestation of his attempt to break-away from the exhausting demands of being famous writer and to find his "real self" again. This explains why the Ghostwriter tells Se-Ju that he’s only typing words that Se-Ju has written himself. (It's literally true. Lol.) And that the Ghostwriter doesn’t know the ending (because it's up to Se-Ju). 

Also, both "theories" (Ghostwriter is a separate being vs Ghostwriter is alterego) can explain Jeon Seol’s double vision in Episode 2. Remember: in Episode 2, when Jeon Seol is pointing the gun at the stalker and having a flashback, she can’t tell who she’s pointing the gun at. 

She’s seeing double: she’s seeing the images of Ghostwriter JO and 1930’s Se-Ju from behind. Her vision can either mean: that her recollection of the past is hazy (and she can’t remember who she’s trying to kill as the traitor/Japanese collaborator) OR that, in her subconscious, she’s PERCEIVED the Ghostwriter Jin-Oh and the 1930’s Se-Ju to be one and the same person. :wink:

Anyway, it’s too early FOR ME to choose sides. But I’m simply tossing out both ideas to you, @bebe1989 and others who are open to different interpretation of the same scenes.  

Another thing:  Time pieces.  Notice the clocks hanging in the café and Salvador Dali’s melting clock in the foreground in Episode 1 during the book-signing event in Episode 1? I think the clocks as prop are deliberate, especially the melting clock.  That melting clock is from Dali’s famous surrealist painting called “Persistence of Memory”. I only saw it once in New York, decades ago, so the details of the painting are fuzzy now. But I remember admiring Dali’s sense of humor. He said that the inspiration for the clock (or let’s say, his “muse”) was Camembert cheese melting in the hot sun. :o

And I also remember thinking what a brilliant way of proving a point: TIME is literally…errr, visually, MELTING AWAY.  You see, for me, the central message of that painting was that our interpretation of daily events can be confused or distorted or colored by our memories of the past. That is, the “persistence of memories” intrude in the present time, making it harder for people to discern, grasp or understand reality for what it truly is. 

And I think this is one of the major themes of the show Chicago Typewriter: memory. 

We see that Seo-Ju’s having a difficult time differentiating reality from the past. He doesn’t know if he has dreamed of it before, or has read of it before, or has lived through it before.  For him, an action that is happening in REAL-TIME becomes mixed-up -- or fused -- with an identical and corresponding action that occurred in past. Like the ghostwriter JO, his memories persist in haunting him. 

So it’s going to be interesting how he deals with recovering his past suppressed memories. 

On 4/22/2017 at 8:53 AM, CatchMine_ID said:

love the song title, "writing our stories" heheh:)

@bebe1989 I looooveee the fun scene of these two guy, HSJ YJO~ YJO seems so enjoys teasing HSJ hahahah I lol for the scene when Seol with them. Thanks for wonderful caps! (P. S. Last year still better, pooooor me I'm so amazed like crazy just now kkkkk Korean actors is such a life now lmao. Aaand I support you to keep poking @packmule3)

@bebe1989 and @CatchMine_ID:

I can't write long now (hahaha) because of -- what else? -- work. I'm only posting this now and will edit/revise/clarify later. So hang in there.   

When I brought up the definition of Chicago Typewriter, I had only seen the title and hadn't watched a single episode of the kdrama. I didn’t know that the writer and I were on the same wavelength, and that we both understood the historical context of a manual typewriter from Chicago. :D 

So here’s another factoid (or factoidS, I can't count). Since I’ve watched all six episodes, I know these haven’t been mentioned in the story, and I won’t be repeating anything, like a nag. 

The portraits on the wall – from left to right:

James Joyce, Irish writer. Famous for the novel, Ulysses. Known for the “stream of consciousness” style of writing. Meaning, the written words try to mirror the character’s FLOW of thoughts. A paragraph can run on and on, without breaks in the sentences or periods, and the topic jumps from one thing to another, which is confusing for readers – just like our active minds have no order.  

Spoiler

james-joyce.jpg

The three portraits on the other wall are portraits of American writers.  BTW, all four writers were known alcoholics. They battled their alcohol addiction just as they battled with the written words: daily.  

Ernest Hemingway. Famous for the novels, "Old Man and the Sea," "Farewell to Arms," and "For Whom the Bell Tolls." Known for his journalistic way of writing. Journalistic meaning the “who, what, when, where and why” are delivered in succinct and staccato style.  

Spoiler

Ernest-Hemingway.jpg

F. Scott Fitzgerald. Known for The Great Gatsby, considered the greatest American novel in the literary world because of the way it depicted American decadence vs American idealism. I actually talked about this is the Warm and Cozy romcom thread. His wife, and love of his life, Zelda, had schizophrenia and he took care of her. I thought it was interesting that, from a bystander’s point of view, Se-Ju appears to be suffering from a split personality, too. 

Spoiler

I love how his hairstyle looks like devil's horns on the portrait hanging in Se-Ju's wall. 

f-scott-fitzgerald-3.jpg

Eugene O’Neill. He was a playwright who won many accolades: Pulitzer and Nobel prizes. The literary world considers him to be the American equivalent of Shakespeare. But to be brutally honest, I think his plays are overrated.

Spoiler

Overrated. Look: if the regular folks don’t line up to watch his plays, and only the same group of intellectual elites care enough watch them and dissect the plays’ meaning, then the playwright failed to connect and be relevant.  For me, what good are the awards and coronations, when the writer’s words fail to leave an IMPACT on people’s lives? Or to put it in kdrama context: what good is it to put on a brilliant kdrama when it can only pull in 0.01% of viewers? Or worse, when only 0.01 of the viewers UNDERSTAND its meaning? See that?

oneill82.jpg

Anyway, Eugene O’Neill is known to “haunt” the hotel where he died. The hotel is now a residence hall in Boston University…lol.  

Which brings me to a minor thing -- the ghostwriter’s name: 

In O’Neill’s most famous play, Long Day’s Journey into the Night, the female protagonist was told to forget the past, and she replied with deathlike calm. “Why? How can I? The past is the present, isn't it? It's the future, too. We all try to lie out of that but life won't let us.”  This is a famous quote, and in a sense, I think it’s fitting that the Ghostwriter’s name is a play on Eugene O’Neill’s name. 

Because you see, Se-Ju is himself fighting the ghosts of his past – not just the 1930s/Japanese-imperial-era/reincarnated spirit-world past – but his past troubled life as an abandoned child and youth. He’s battling these specters (or “issues” as people say nowadays) because he’s been living a life of lies. His PERSONAL past IS very much connected to his present, and it will be in the future, too. 

On the surface, he seemed to have everything made: He’s rich. He’s disciplined. He churns out stories with precision. He doesn’t have writer’s block or writer’s weakness for addiction like booze and cigarettes. He takes good care of his body and image. He has a huge following. He’s got solid contracts, thanks to his agent. And his life is well-oiled machine, thanks to his secretary. He’s a famous, world-renowned writer, comparable to Stephen King. 

But he’s been living a lie.  I think, even from the beginning of the drama, this “delusion” of his greatness was foreshadowed.  That impressive fight scene at the beginning of Episode 1??

To me, that whole scene is a figment of HIS imagination. It didn't happen. Lol.

I don’t think Se-Ju’s such a great fighter himself. Several incidents belie that. For instance, when he and Jeon Seol are chasing the dog. lol. His running form is klutzy, and he appears out of breath. Then, when he’s attacked by the stalker. It’s Jeon Seol who finds the gun in the dark, like a ninja. And he’s seems to be cowering in the dark, when the lights turn on. He doesn’t even have the wits to call the police; Jeon Seol has to remind him. Also, when he’s stressed out, he faints. Like, when he imagines that Jeon Seol hitting him with the shovel, and when realizes that he’s been conversing with a real ghost.  He’s hardly a brave, quick-thinking, cool street fighter that we see at the beginning of the Episode 1. 

Furthermore, his success as a writer is a lie. Despite his fame and fortune, he really hasn’t written THE greatest story of his life. His tour de force, or that all-moving, all-powerful, literary chef-d'oeuvre, is yet to be written.

Jeon Seol’s friend, Bang-Jin, hints at this. In Episode 1, she scoffs at Se-Ju’s books, and I think it's because as a writer herself, she understands that Se-Ju's books are a “sold out” (meaning they’re guaranteed blockbusters) AND a “sellout” (meaning, they’re sold because of popularity, not because of its literary value. The writer has betrayed the craft).  Of course, Jeon Seol defends her writer-idol and refuses to listen to Bang-Jin’s honest appraisal.  But Bang-Jin’s is right. So far, Se-Ju’s been re-living his old 1930s self and writing stories to seduce women and to gain fortune. The Chicago cafe book signing is proof of that. :)

Also, did you notice that Se-Ju hasn’t come up with any ORIGINAL thoughts on writing yet? He’s been quoting from other famous writers, like Chateaubriand, Steven King, Louis L’Amour, Hemingway… because he hasn’t come up with his OWN insight on writing.  Up until now, he’s been writing pulp fiction. And when Jeon Seol asked him what kind of writer he wanted to be, his answer was so banal.  He said, while looking at his REFLECTION in the mirror: to write well (or something just as shallow).  In other words, no… I mean, in his OWN WORDS, he has no idea what he truly wants. Lol.  He has to quote and borrow somebody else’s words to sound profound.   

Which brings me to this:

Why did I bother to mention all the writers on the wall? Lol. (Honest: I’m not trying to be a twit, or an insufferable bore.) Those men are Se-Ju’s “idols”. He looks up to them, he wants to be like them, he seeks to emulate them. 

But he’s sooo different from them. Those four men lived tortured lives. They had enormous inner conflicts, troubled memories, and personal specters. And the reason these writers became famous writers is because they wrote what they personally wrestled with every single day. They were authentic.  

In contrast, Se-ju writes to ESCAPE his unresolved issues, secret demons, and his dysfunctional family. He avoids struggles and pain with his writing.

One, he does “research” because he himself hasn’t personally LIVED through the stories he narrates. Two, he "rewards" himself with gorgeous pastry, fine coffee and a cinnamon stick after each deadline met, as if meeting that deadline is simply another mission accomplished. Three, he doesn't break a “sweat” while writing his fiction; there's no "blood equity." Four, remember his confrontation with his stalker? The heinousness of mass murder -- and that his stalker was influenced by his writing -- so shocked him as if the concept of such evil existing in the world is alien for a crime-fiction writer....    

And last but not the least, there isn’t angst or desperation involved in his writing; his emotions aren’t ruffled so he doesn't even pause in deep thought or brooding silence when he types away.

Remember what he said during the fight scene? He said he has to protect his notes, his hands, and, most importantly he says, his head, because these are important to his livelihood. 

But I personally think he’s forgotten the most essential of all, for any writer: the soul.    

He’s missing his soul. And the Ghostwriter, whether by accident or be design, is there to give it back to him.

In the 1930s past, the Chicago Typewriter is the gift that starts Se-Ju off to becoming a great writer. He has this “flashback” in Episode 6 of the true significance of the Chicago Typewriter to him.  But I want to call it his “flash of inspiration.”  Every time, he gets a flashback, he also acquires an inspiration to his story. So, let’s see if his discovery that the Chicago Typewriter is gift will inspire him to find what he’s been missing for a long time now: his soul... A soul which hasn’t been used for quite some time.   

And didn’t you notice? In Episode 2, the shaman mother of Bang-Jin asks Jeon Seol if she delivered an urn. Jeon Seol didn’t deliver an urn, she delivered a typewriter.

For all intents and purposes, the typewriter did indeed contain a dead soul. Whose soul is it? To me, whether it belongs to this actual Ghostwriter named "Yoo Jin-Oh" (lol. The name he gives to Bang-Jin is "yoo" or YOU in English, which I thought was clever, because he can be the Writing Spirit that SHE prayed for.)  or to Se-Ju himself (because he's in need of his alterego) remains to be seen for now. 

Off to a meeting now. Will edit and revise later.

Have a good weekend, y'all.  

Tagging some people: 
@Berou (this is what I was obsessing about in that other thread...) @MadraRua hello. 

@staygold liked your Liar and Lover post. Will comment this weekend.  

@phikyl @fikachuuu @nonski (yes, will look at that kdrama, too. Thanks for the tag. Will see if I can watch before my flight. Although I so detest having to cover my ipad from nosy people trying to look over my shoulders to sneak a look at what I'm doing.... What I watch or read or write is absolutely none of their business.... lol) 
@hushhh @lynne22 @onlysb1 @romanov (I'm here, and at Liar and His Lover) @nearsea (for when she returns Free Smiley rose

and added @salz. Sorry! I didn't know you were here! :( You know me... if I'm not tagged, I don't see the posters. 

9 people like this

Posted (edited)

43 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

f you rewatch those scenes again, I think you’ll notice that Gal Ji-Seok never actually acknowledges JO’s presence. It’s a nice camera trick, though. When Ji-Seok walks out of the mansion, JO approaches him as if he’s been waiting for him to come out of the mansion. Then they both casually walk together. Gal Ji-Seok is expressing relief for evading SJ’s wrath, and JO interjects comments as if he’s part of Gal Ji-Seok’s conversation.  In reality, Gal Ji-Seok is only muttering to himself.  He doesn’t spare JO a glance the whole ti

Hi @packmule! Happy to be able to read you here. Thanks for this. I was confused here! The second about BTM's dad , I was able to figure it out.  I am out of town & my wifi connection is not the best. Will read your post in greater detail & ask more later. Really love what I'm reading . I'm learning a lot . Daebak !! 

Edited by triplem
3 people like this

Posted

Awww @packmule3 How could you not tagging me too for this drama :tears:

OK I still love you and your post

Anyway can't wait for tomorrow back to back ep

Today feel empty without this drama it get postponed just when thing get spicier lol 

4 people like this

Posted

TVN UPDATE

IMG_2521382fa.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_252498fed.jpg

Spoiler

IMG_2522a20af.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi guys! my first post! :)

I started to watch this drama yesterday and 6 episode past in a run..ıts so good..I actually started to watch it after seeing Im Soo Jung. I was a big MISA fan and maybe watched most of her movies. she is amazing actress. but I somehow past this. I also like Ah In acting and ıt was like perfect combi for me... Drama is amazing. Fell bad for ratings. Koreans really miss amazing drama and storyline. but doesnt matter. we didnt miss it. 

I couldnt understand smth. Se Joo actually can write this story. bc he is also in it and keep seeing the past..everything that he writes on paper (ofc the ones written by ghost writer) are actually the things that he see in his illusions before, in the flashbacks coming to his mind...he also knows the chapters written on paper. he was trying to continue on it at chapter 11, he also said this is the story I planned to write!..so why he couldnt write the things that he see clearly like he dont know what will come next?...all his visions are actually a new chapters written by ghost...

one of you mentioned..I disagree..Dont think ghost writer is SJ own alter ego. Otherwise she wouldn't see him in her own flashback visions...or the daughter of the shaman woman couldnt see him too...Alter Ego just need to be seen by owner. Maybe JS see it in her visions bc he belongs her own previous life but how a secret shaman best friend can see him too in real life? He is probably a real ghost but my point is why SJ can't write this story but need this ghost to do it instead of him?

1 person likes this

Posted

57 minutes ago, evok said:

I couldnt understand smth. Se Joo actually can write this story. bc he is also in it and keep seeing the past..everything that he writes on paper (ofc the ones written by ghost writer) are actually the things that he see in his illusions before, in the flashbacks coming to his mind...he also knows the chapters written on paper. he was trying to continue on it at chapter 11, he also said this is the story I planned to write!..so why he couldnt write the things that he see clearly like he dont know what will come next?...all his visions are actually a new chapters written by ghost...

From my observation, when he sees the past and snaps out of it, the chapter is already written so he doesn't have the chance to write it himself. This is also leading me to the theory that jin oh is se ju's imagination/ alter ego. However (i think someone mentioned this before), it's possible that he couldn't write his ideas because of writer's block. He has ideas but he just can't find the right words to put it into writing. I wouldn't be surprised, i mean he's under a lot of stress (and that's an understatement). 

1 hour ago, evok said:

one of you mentioned..I disagree..Dont think ghost writer is SJ own alter ego. Otherwise she wouldn't see him in her own flashback visions...or the daughter of the shaman woman couldnt see him too...Alter Ego just need to be seen by owner. Maybe JS see it in her visions bc he belongs her own previous life but how a secret shaman best friend can see him too in real life? He is probably a real ghost but my point is why SJ can't write this story but need this ghost to do it instead of him?

Yes, exactly! I'm almost convinced of the imagination/ alter ego theory but stopped short because of this. Seol's friend saw jin oh. I even tried doing some research if it's possible for others to see one's figment of imagination but i found nothing so far. So yeah, it seems this theory is not possible (but im still checking lol). 

1 person likes this