larus

[Current Drama 2017] Mystery Queen 추리의 여왕

412 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, dhakra said:

I already praised the stunning ability of the drama at catching atmospheres and bring them into scenes. One of these amazing pictures and atmospheric shots I wanted to share with you.

I just love the colors. 

For me it felt like more he just wondered what she was doing. He was more suspicious than worried in my eyes. But it could be a possibility that he does love her. But we got a pretty clear picture this episode what SO thinks about love. She doesn't believe in it.

I don't think so, she may be harsh, but I think she learned her lesson. She does love him and she knows that she wouldn't achieve anything by blackmailing him. She will confront him with it, but she also knows that his heart still beats for his ex-gf. I don't think she sees YSO as a potential threat yet. From her works point of view she will seek out for HWS to stop SO from testifying, but don't think it will be by blackmailing him. She just suggested dating, would be pretty bad if she would go down this route. 

I don't think she is acting, she also had that kind of feelings when she was alone, but who am I to talk. Maybe my SLS took over already.

6Vtiz80.pngcr. to @dhakraI love this scene too. The scene means something apart from its stunning beauty. I love these flowers and grow some at home.  HWS said meaningful points to HS and this will lead to her support to YSO later on.  While HS expressed that she hated her sister-law, YSO wholeheartedly cares for her,. She murmured about HS's weak lung when she saw her smoke. Yes, you have some luck when there is somebody caring for you.

16 hours ago, RobinM said:

If they are going to go into the case of his girlfriend and her parents they need to get on it. I have said it before and I will say it again but 16 episodes is not enough to tell a story anymore with modern dramas Even Rom coms becoming more complex and multilayered than Simply cold Chaebol + Sweet Candy=happy ever after.

YES, I want 4 eps more.

Edited by bebebisous33
quoted pictures
7 people like this

Posted

16 hours ago, docster6 said:

The end of Episode 8 has what I waited for, that YSO will become a prominent national figure. But by YSO's avoidance of the camera, in her favorite detective show, it is now clear that she will do all the amazing detective work behind the scene. At the local police station, Officer Hong (in a rare appearance recently) was convinced that Ahjamma was with him, otherwise, there would be no way that Detective Ha could have solved that case. I am starting to pity SO's best friend, she has to go through so much torture to hide SO's "misdeeds." But I am pretty sure BFF could eventually convince SO to love that handsome celebrity. For many years, SO has the "will power" to overcome the hormones for love. When SO asked WS not to call her ahjamma any more and WS complied by calling her "Seol-Ok-ssi" and that sounded so sexy. I think SO was bothered by that "closeness" and started to tell him to call her ahjamma instead. The scene where WS dug through the burial plot to save SO was very touching, he screamed, "ahjamma, ahjamma, ahjamma...." my heart was hurting. There was no embrace or simple hug after the rescue, a very standard practice for other dramas, but I felt they were both glad to see each other again. The writer decided to have them bickering on the way back; instead of SO thanking WS for the rescue, she did the opposite. I was sad about that.

SIL is a cute girl, even though she is not smart at all. I was disappointed the kidnapper was pretty ugly. I wonder how the other three women fell for him. SO's BFF called SO's husband "dried prune" and said that WS is great looking. But SO's husband is way more handsome than the murderer. I don't think we have seen the end of the news concerning the buried victims on that island; YSO may eventually have to be involved with the press or the police.

I also love the points you raised which made me laugh while watching. I don't think she wasn't grateful for WS, just didn't want him to be too proud, "Always bragging whenever chances allowed."  Their bickering dialogues were worth watching.  The digging scene was really touching, but on HWS.  It seems he couldn't stand losing her. Unfortunately, YSO didn't notice, she only thought about HS.  KSW called "Ahjumma" throughout this episode, let's say 50 times and how many it will be during the drama? Don't stop calling her Ahjummam please.

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

And the past might repeat itself: Ha will discover that YSO was behind HWS and she solved all the cases that helped him to get promoted so that he will consider YSO as a hindrance and thread to his plan. Back then, HWS wanted to become a musical actor and the father thought that HS was the one who pushed him into that career. To me, Ha will use any mean to separate our OTP because as long as she investigates, HWS will become successful and will never accept to inherit the law firm. If my previsions are correct, it would be great because the reason for separating would be so different from the usual k-drama. First, JW will try to stop YSO from testifying but it won't be enough. YSO is not someone who gets intimidated so easily. Moreover, she runs fast and thinks very quickly.

Moreover, it would be great if HWS told her about his past and the disappearance of HS, because even if it happened a long time ago, she would be able to find clues and evidences. HWS has always been relying too much on his instinct. JDJ will threaten YSO as she is a witness, however I believe that Ha might decide to get rid of JDJ because he represents a source of danger. He knows too much. With JDJ's death, YSO would be able to discover a new case (HS's death and HWS's suffering which would incite her to investigate the case).

So for next week, we will have two episodes about the underwear thief but the cliffhanger for next week will be definitely related to JDJ in my opinion. 

Hahahaha. She runs fast. She runs, runs, runs and climbs and even jumps.

6 people like this

Posted

6Vtiz80.png

cr. to @dhakra Yes, this scene was well shot. To me, there is so much symbolism in this scene. We can notice that HWS and HS are sitting next to each other in the spotlight, whereas YSO is remaining in the shadow. This indicates:

- HWS and HS are the only one who know about YSO's action: YSO saved HS. Both (HWS and HS) share that secret, therefore this closeness is underlined with this cinematography. Finally, this could also illustrate that both will get closer as well.

- YSO is still determined to remain in the shadow: HWS took the credit for catching the murderer that's why he is again in the spotlight. YSO will always help him from behind and remain in the shadow. And it was and is the same for HS. So far, we know that HS has always been helped by YSO for her papers. Then again, she was in the spotlight, when YSO tried to rescue her. HS has never realised what she meant to YSO, she has never realised YSO's goodness and that there was someone next to her who cared for her and even loved her. This person never wanted to be in the focus of people's attention. Now, this incident has changed her perspective. She has a different point of view of YSO. Before, she resented YSO for being admired and even loved, for being smart aso as HS had the impression that she was not loved but now it is different. Hence I believe, these two will try to help YSO as well. Both now like her and are concerned about her. She is definitely important in their life.

I guess, HS might decide to cover up for YSO's absences, while she is investigating.

9 people like this

Posted

16 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@enigmatic_zephy In the past, I had imagined that KHC gave the impression to be single to his co-workers because he saw his wife as a burden. Moreover, I had even thought that he might be cheating on her. But right now, I am more inclined to believe that he pretended to be single because he feared that he might lose YSO. He knows that she is very smart and she is definitely "pretty, sweet and cute" therefore he thought, she might find someone better than him. First, he is not so clean, like his wife sees him. Secondly, she has never acted as a woman in love which makes him anxious, that one day, she might fall in love for real.  Like @nona88:wink: described her situation so well, KHC is treating her like a bird in a cage. No one is allowed to see his beautiful and wonderful wife. This would also explain why he married her so early. But there could be other reasons as well. To make sure that she doesn't become a detective and investigate her parents' death as well. 

yup with you on that...

i also said, to him she is the trophy wife.. who is pretty and in general very attractive..

and for him .. he knows he got lucky.. to get a girl like her...

abt smart i don't know.. because the feels i get from the family is that they have assumed a lot about her which isn't true. as normal society, she has been relegated to being ae a housewife and hence good at only that... nobody  thinks or sees more capability in her... ad her own stance towards her family doesn't help the case..

6 people like this

Posted

Hello chingus!

I have just started on Mystery Queen and speed-watched the first 6 episodes before coming over here to read your comments. This drama has captivated me and I just love the partnership of Yoo Seol Ok (YSO) and Ha Won Seung (HWS). It has the Agatha Christie feel and the funny bits that I find most engaging. Your comments, analyses of characters and deductions of future possibilities are so interesting. Thank you!

7 people like this

Posted

6 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Moreover, it would be great if HWS told her about his past and the disappearance of HS, because even if it happened a long time ago, she would be able to find clues and evidences. HWS has always been relying too much on his instinct. JDJ will threaten YSO as she is a witness, however I believe that Ha might decide to get rid of JDJ because he represents a source of danger. He knows too much. With JDJ's death, YSO would be able to discover a new case (HS's death and HWS's suffering which would incite her to investigate the case).

So for next week, we will have two episodes about the underwear thief but the cliffhanger for next week will be definitely related to JDJ in my opinion. 

I think we will see this at one point anyway. The only question is when. 

6 hours ago, Nonglak Koomkamhaeng said:

cr. to @dhakraI love this scene too. The scene means something apart from its stunning beauty. I love these flowers and grow some at home.  HWS said meaningful points to HS and this will lead to her support to YSO later on.  While HS expressed that she hated her sister-law, YSO wholeheartedly cares for her,. She murmured about HS's weak lung when she saw her smoke. Yes, you have some luck when there is somebody caring for you.

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

cr. to @dhakra Yes, this scene was well shot. To me, there is so much symbolism in this scene. We can notice that HWS and HS are sitting next to each other in the spotlight, whereas YSO is remaining in the shadow. This indicates:

Glad that you like this scene as much as I do :D The light and shadow shenanigans are so pretty and symbolic. @bebebisous33summarized them very well, I agree with everything. One thing I have want to add is that the light/shadow also resembles their background and education. WS & HS both come from a wealthy background, while SO wasn't able to do anything and remained unseen in the shadows. 

7 people like this

Posted

From the "destiny" point of view, having SO and WS crossed path in Episode 1 when WS drank hot coffee (not sipping, he down the hot drink all at once after a warning from the vendor that the coffee is really hot) from a roadside stand and SO walked by. I feel their background stories are also intertwine. This is @bebebisous33's job but I will try to be an assistant writer on this. WS' father Mr.Ha is behind EVERYTHING.

(1) WS loved his girlfriend from high school (they had youthful actors for their young scenes) and Mr.Ha disapproved of it. I think Ha asked Jang to kidnap HS (girlfriend) and put a hurt on her. The scene where WS held an injured HS (girlfriend), HS was not dead but only badly injured. WS didn't separate from her then because he carried her to get help, therefore, that was not their last scene together. The background of the beating is a very familiar one many of us can recognize, Chief Kim, Angry Mom, in which the background has a steel drum with fire in it. The setting is to leave the victim with a stern warning to leave the rich son alone.

(2) But WS continued to care for HS (girlfriend) so Mr. Ha asked to have her "disappeared" and YSO's father was the driver asked to take her away. I am not sure if it is related to the stabbed wife who was thrown into a frozen river by the grandfather, or was she sent to China? North Korea? Bali? Regardless, YSO's parent would be a liability since they knew too much. So a double suicide was staged. YSO, even at a young age, knew it was not a suicide and she cried and cried at the police station. And that was where she came up with the 99% sure line because the police officer said that. Knowing how Mr. Ha operates, that police officer may have wanted to investigate further but was forced to let go with a 99% sure verdict.

(3) Mr.Ha arranged to have YSO taken care of by the Kim family, who offered to take the young YSO in. Mr.Ha bankrolled a house for the family, a scholarship for young Mr. Kim (YSO's husband) to eventually become a prosecutor. YSO's clothes are actually quite expensive. Kim was going to buy her a new jacket, a designer jacket to replace the one she had with mud all over it. It wouldn't surprise me if Mr.Ha also instructed Kim to marry YSO domestically (not on the city record, that is why he is single to everyone at the office) and keep her uneducated. From other dramas, I have learned that prosecutors, as civil servants, really do not earn that high of a salary (see Masked Prosecutor) but their position of power could earn them a great deal through corruption or sweetheart deals. That is why Kim, and the Kim above him, have to obey the likes of Mr. Ha, to get Jang released.

(4) That is why Jang is so confident about getting out of jail, he even stopped smoking because he feels he will live for a long time. He even asked JW to send Mr. Ha to see him at the detention center, he has information on Mr.Ha previous dealings. WS, for one, knew Jang was the one who beat up HS (girlfriend) but WS is not sure if HS' disappearance was related to Jang. But Jang would be the one who would know the entire background story.

(5) Some of the participants here felt JW is much younger than WS. But I think they grew up together in high school too. When JW was trying to force WS to marry her the first time, WS said, "while we were growing up together, I never once saw you as a woman." So I think the fact the actress for JW looks much younger than the actress for SO, they maybe about the same age. JW has always loved WS, but a simple nobody, HS, got the heart of the chaebol she loved. And now, WS is going around everywhere with a married ahjamma and that was why she looked into the mirror and asked why it has come to this for her life. As an attractive and rich young woman, she could have had a lot of guys on her tail.

(6) One last point, @nellebean was really unhappy about the way SO treated WS as an idiot. I think a lot of us were unhappy that SO was not grateful for WS saving her, basically twice (Jang wanted to kill her). But if we take the patient approach, we will see about 4 episodes from now how SO is really attracted to WS right from the start and she had to fight her heart and used her will power to downgrade that handsome detective. SO's BFF can see through SO's facade but we have to be patient.

Sorry about the long post, I just felt like for once I want to emulate my idol, my immortal friend, @bebebisous33, my teacher-nim.

7 people like this

Posted

@docster6 Thanks for the compliment crazy monkeyand for writing my theory in all his details.good job onion head I really loved reading your long post! Hence I can definitely return the compliment.cute-rabbit-emoticon-21.gif?1301940532

Yes, that's exactly how I have imagined it. If YSO's father was a taxi driver, he might have witnessed something. Now, I am wondering why they had to kill the wife too. Maybe later YSO's parents reported together the crime at the police station and since Ha has connections in the police forces, he realised that he could get into trouble. He asked to erase that report from his "minions". We could observe HA's influence, when HWS's unit got restructured. Therefore Ha had to get rid of YSO's parents too, although the only witness was YSO's father.

But I've got another question about JW: why was her father calling Ha and making sure that HWS was there at the engagement ceremony? Sure, he knew about HWS's reluctance, however I fear that there might be another reason. The fact that he called reveals that he was also very interested in this engagement and marriage. All of them (JW, Ha and JW's father) were acting as if they were under time pressure. Now, the father is again retaliating against his son, right after his appearance on TV. He doesn't waste any time. So maybe it is connected to the status of limitation and the fact that HWS can not testify against his in-laws. I am wondering how long it has been, since HS disappeared. Since they used a different actor for the younger version, I guess, we must be close to 20 years!! As for marrying YSO, Ha must have asked the same thing... yet KHC had fallen in love with her therefore he had no problem to do it. YSO could never testify against KHC for being corrupt. 

@dhakra @lumibear @gaby81 @nona88 @RobinM @Nonglak Koomkamhaeng @Mico Ricco

@ross27 Welcome to this thread!! smileysThe more we are, the better it is. cheer1 onion headI agree with you that MYstery Queen makes me think of Agatha Christie and her Miss Marple.  

6 people like this

Posted

I think this teaser will be in Episode 9. From the preview, a stalker was following a young lady, probably from the underwear theft case. The scene was quite tense. Unfortunately, I think a murder may have occurred as the yellow tapes indicate a crime scene investigation. SO was fixing her to look nice and they were talking in a very friendly way. But I think SO was being nice because she wants to go into the crime scene to investigator, she is so curious at all times. Sure enough, as soon as WS was distracted a little, SO slipped in beyond the tapes and WS has to give chase, "ahjamma, ahjamma, ...." he yelled. It should be fun. But I don't like it when there are so many female victims. In the drama, "I Remember You," all the victims were beautiful young women. I will wait for a drama, some day, where a lot of guys are murdered.

5 people like this

Posted

i am surprised that HS needs reminder from WS to be grateful to SO. 

all because of jealously.  lol

5 people like this

Posted

@bebebisous33, thank you for your warm welcome. After watching episodes 7 and 8, I am eagerly waiting for Wed! The amount of walking, running, cycling that WS and SO did in order to trace and save HS made me breathless from their exertions! Their lack of co-ordination at cycling was so funny that SO had at one stage decided to run along side while WS cycled. 

@docster6, you are so logical, rational and smart like SO when you reasoned out the Mr Ha is behind everything! 

5 people like this

Posted

2 hours ago, ross27 said:

@bebebisous33, thank you for your warm welcome. After watching episodes 7 and 8, I am eagerly waiting for Wed! The amount of walking, running, cycling that WS and SO did in order to trace and save HS made me breathless from their exertions! Their lack of co-ordination at cycling was so funny that SO had at one stage decided to run along side while WS cycled. 

@docster6, you are so logical, rational and smart like SO when you reasoned out the Mr Ha is behind everything! 

if the panties thief a small case then WS and SO are likely have an easier time.

the only big threat is Jang.

from the preview we can see that Jang is out of jail so will he try to harm SO as WS wants her to be a witness for the murder attempt on her during the drug raid at the locker area?

5 people like this