0ly40

[Drama 2017] Sea of the Woman/그 여자의 바다, Mon-Fri. Many thanks to all for support this thread!!

547 posts in this topic

Posted

From just the raw of episode 38.... now we're getting somewhere.  SI and her friend, Kyung Hee, get into it with the mean manager concerning working conditions.  It develops into a shouting match, the manager storms out and goes to his office, but SI barges in to confront him again.  Who should happen onto the scene but the old, no nonsense Grandma (actress from "Blow Breeze") who obviously dislikes the manager.  This is looking good.... and the preview showed the handsome new love interest.  Too bad SI has the kinky family and a pregnancy to set her back.

4 people like this

Posted

preview april-21

5 people like this

Posted

I have to ask is the brother really dead.?

2 people like this

Posted

16 hours ago, Ldy Gmerm said:

SI will of course deny but I want to think that SY may either have trouble having a child 

Nah, let JW's 'cold' develop into something that makes him sterile.

5 people like this

Posted

51 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

If you mean little Min Jae,  as of now I'm still placing my bets on Kang Tae Soo as being MJ.  That may change as the drama continues, but there were a couple of things said earlier that hinted that it could be him.  But, of course, that may have been the writer just throwing out a bone.

3 people like this

Posted

OST part 8: Ran - Though a thousand years go by

Preview april-24

2 people like this

Posted

Episode 40... definitely moving into the next phase of relationships and conflicts.  Madam Cho (Grandma) fires the manager after hearing about the girls not being paid and even giving them drugs to stay awake to  meet deadlines.  She insists that her grandson, Kim Seon Woo, who was supposed to have been making a presence there but was  skipping out, was responsible for what happened to the girls.  He is a free spirit that would rather paint and photograph, not a business type to be a CEO.  After Grandma threatens to sell the company, which was started by SW's father, he agrees to show up as the CEO.

SI's first encounter with Seon Woo is outside a bar after she made a delivery.  She bumps into him, he accuses her of taking his wallet, starts to pat her down, and she slaps him.  His friend shows up with the wallet, so SW is embarrassed, but too cocky to apologize.  They meet head on in the next episode.  SI will have to be the taming factor for this guy, so let the games begin.

Grandma (Madam Cho) is CEO of a flour factory.  This is going to be the connection between Mr. Jung and the Noodlers.  He has already made the comment that it looks like that flour factory is successful, so he's going to be picking a war with Grandma.  Look out.

Mr. Choi is uneasy with his future FIL, and asks Kang Tae Soo to fill him in. TS tells him he'll find out in time and was not going to help him out with the dirt.  Should be a good week next week.

5 people like this

Posted

With the appearance of SW, it will definitely get more interesting. The only setback for SI is that she is pregnant. Getting pregnant without being married must be a big taboo during that time. Things will only be getting harder for SI. With her  pregnant condition, an ex-convict father and 2 mothers, it is quite unlikely any man would be attracted to her. It would be amazing if SW accepts her at her worst. It will show that jerk JW what a slime ball he is. I can't stand him smiling sweetly to SY during their engagement. 

3 people like this

Posted

Subtitle of the Week --- Hold your noses!

sewer.png

3 people like this

Posted

On 4/20/2017 at 4:06 PM, sava2sava said:

First Law of Kdrama Drowning (or not drowning): they may fall, jump or be pushed in to the ocean or a river and apparently not seen again, BUT they ain't dead till the corpse is definitively identified. [This is of course especially true when, as in the Sun in the Sky, the apparently drowned person had a couple of stooges lurking under the bridge with bath towels and the Korean equivalent of mugs of hot cocoa to drag him out of the water pronto].

The Second Law of Kdrama Drowning is that when the supposed drowned one is found (generally by some kind-hearted beachcomber) they'll be suffering from amnesia so they won't know how they came to be in the water in the first place, hence their loved ones won't know they've been found.  However, they will have some telltale birthmark or fragment of clothing that allows them to be identified as the Long Lost One many years later.

You can  be sure this is going to happen here, because although they search for the boy for weeks, no-one so much as once mentions that they wish the body could be found so he could be given a proper funeral and a marked grave. This is VERY SUSPICIOUS, especially in a Korean cultural context,  (Again contrast Sun in the Sky where the alleged deceased was known by all concerned to be a total scumbag and yet everyone was frantic to find his corpse so he could be given a decent burial). It indicates that the writer doesn't want us to even ask "what about the corpse?", so that we can be surprised many episodes later when Min Jae comes back to life. But just as Queen Victoria was supposedly prone to remark "We are not amused", so the response of us seasoned Kdrama watchers to such things is "We are not surprised".

FWIW the kid's character profile says
 수인과 바닷가에 놀러 갔다가 실종된다 = "He went with Su In to the beach to play and disappeared."
Although some Korean verbs that can be translated "disappear" can indeed be euphemisms for "die, be killed", 실종[失踪 -- literally "lost traces" ]되다 never is. It means "to go missing, to become a missing person" the assumption being that they're still alive somewhere but can't be found.

22 hours ago, 0ly40 said:

OST part 8: Ran - I'm passing through a millennium

That title should be translated "Though a thousand years go by".

It's the first phrase of the refrain:

Though a thousand years go  by,
I will never change.
Passing time won't touch me,
My love for you alone
will burn ever stronger.

6 people like this

Posted

On 4/20/2017 at 0:05 PM, msmy said:

If you mean little Min Jae,  as of now I'm still placing my bets on Kang Tae Soo as being MJ.  That may change as the drama continues, but there were a couple of things said earlier that hinted that it could be him.  But, of course, that may have been the writer just throwing out a bone.

I don't think Kang Tae Soo is the brother. SI call him oppa and so does Jung In. MJ is younger than them and he would have called them NOONA because he is younger than them.

2 people like this

Posted

21 hours ago, msmy said:

Episode 40... definitely moving into the next phase of relationships and conflicts.  Madam Cho (Grandma) fires the manager after hearing about the girls not being paid and even giving them drugs to stay awake to  meet deadlines.  She insists that her grandson, Kim Seon Woo, who was supposed to have been making a presence there but was  skipping out, was responsible for what happened to the girls.  He is a free spirit that would rather paint and photograph, not a business type to be a CEO.  After Grandma threatens to sell the company, which was started by SW's father, he agrees to show up as the CEO.

SI's first encounter with Seon Woo is outside a bar after she made a delivery.  She bumps into him, he accuses her of taking his wallet, starts to pat her down, and she slaps him.  His friend shows up with the wallet, so SW is embarrassed, but too cocky to apologize.  They meet head on in the next episode.  SI will have to be the taming factor for this guy, so let the games begin.

Grandma (Madam Cho) is CEO of a flour factory.  This is going to be the connection between Mr. Jung and the Noodlers.  He has already made the comment that it looks like that flour factory is successful, so he's going to be picking a war with Grandma.  Look out.

Mr. Choi is uneasy with his future FIL, and asks Kang Tae Soo to fill him in. TS tells him he'll find out in time and was not going to help him out with the dirt.  Should be a good week next week.

@msmy..... Thanks for recap chingu. truthfullly I am so not liking Kim Seon Woo. I have yet to decide if he is the man for SI. He is so arrogant but to tell the truth this is the first time I saw realll emotions oozing offff SI. I will admit Seon Woo is attractive and would love to know his back story and why he is at odds with his grandmother. He rather confused me because he want nothing to do with the factory but he wants his grandma to keep it because his father started the factory. In my opinion he seems rather selfish and very arrogant. 

I HAVE NOTICED THAT IT IS A KDRAMA THEME FOR RICH GUY TO ACCUSE  POOR WOMAN OF THEFT DUE TO MISUNDERSTANDING. Then rich guy won't apologize but be impress that had the nerve to treat him like everyone body else instead of a rich man. She will continue to impress him with her good qualities and all of her faults.

20 hours ago, rikimaiu said:

With the appearance of SW, it will definitely get more interesting. The only setback for SI is that she is pregnant. Getting pregnant without being married must be a big taboo during that time. Things will only be getting harder for SI. With her  pregnant condition, an ex-convict father and 2 mothers, it is quite unlikely any man would be attracted to her. It would be amazing if SW accepts her at her worst. It will show that jerk JW what a slime ball he is. I can't stand him smiling sweetly to SY during their engagement. 

@rikimaiu....yes things will get quite interesting from now on. 

3 people like this

Posted

2 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

I don't think Kang Tae Soo is the brother. SI call him oppa and so does Jung In. MJ is younger than them and he would have called them NOONA because he is younger than them.

You're quite right. Kang Tae Su is is indeed too old to be Min Jae. His character profile says

He lost both parents during the [Korean] war and was raised in an orphanage in Seocheon, Chungcheong Province, until he was adopted by a poor couple with no children of their own. He was an outstanding fighter and was asked to join a number of gangs, but out of consideration for his parents he refused all the offers. He has been working for 10 years at the Taesan Noodle Factory, and for the past 4 years he has lodged in Su In's house. He is employed as a personal assistant to Jae Man, but no-one is sure what the work he does for his employer actually involves.

Notice how this last Friday, Jae Man told Jeong Wook to look into finding more orphanages the company could "support" in addition to the one it currently sponsors, and as soon as JW left his office JM broke out into a Morning Daily Evil Grin in case we missed that this indicates he is Up To Something. Could be that he uses orphanages as a recruiting ground for gangland.

As for Seon Woo, not only age but the incest taboo rules him out as the former Min Jae before we even consider his background as per his character profile. I notice that the version in this thread is actually in Googlish rather than English ("eager to eat mustard [!!!]") and it shows a side-effect of a recent major change in  how Google approaches East Asian Languages which results in Mr Google's robot now  opting for "I" and "me" where a human translator woudl immediately spot that the understood pronoun is "he/she" or "his/hers")

Here's a (hopefully) more informative translation...

He has a lively outer personality, but inwardly he feels the absence of the mother whose face he never even saw, and that pain weighs constantly on his mind.

On the surface he seems carefree and even thoughtless, but deep inside him a meticulous and acutely perceptive person lies hidden.

As a child, he lost both parents and was raised by his grandmother. He was somewhat smothered by his grandmother's excessive affection which made him rather irresponsible. He refused to make serious plans for his future and showed no interest in business management.

Though he was in name an executive at the flour mill plant, he he didn't perform his duties and was just a burden to the company. That was the reason he was tasked instead with trying to turn round a failing dressmaking factory.

At the dressmaking factory, Seon Wu, who is moaning about his task and reluctant to do it, meets Su In, who calls him "the lousy CEO". Su In's focus and motivation puts him to shame, but at the same time he senses her invigorating charm and starts to come out with what he really thinks and feels.

5 people like this

Posted

28 minutes ago, baduy said:

You're quite right. Kang Tae Su is is indeed too old to be Min Jae. His character profile says

He lost both parents during the [Korean] war and was raised in an orphanage in Seocheon, Chungcheong Province, until he was adopted by a poor couple with no children of their own. He was an outstanding fighter and was asked to join a number of gangs, but out of consideration for his parents he refused all the offers. He has been working for 10 years at the Taesan Noodle Factory, and for the past 4 years he has lodged in Su In's house. He is employed as a personal assistant to Jae Man, but no-one is sure what the work he does for his employer actually involves.

Notice how this last Friday, Jae Man told Jeong Wook to look into finding more orphanages the company could "support" in addition to the one it currently sponsors, and as soon as JW left his office JM broke out into a Morning Daily Evil Grin in case we missed that this indicates he is Up To Something. Could be that he uses orphanages as a recruiting ground for gangland.

As for Seon Woo, not only age but the incest taboo rules him out as the former Min Jae before we even consider his background as per his character profile. I notice that the version in this thread is actually in Googlish rather than English ("eager to eat mustard [!!!]") and it shows a side-effect of a recent major change in  how Google approaches East Asian Languages which results in Mr Google's robot now  opting for "I" and "me" where a human translator woudl immediately spot that the understood pronoun is "he/she" or "his/hers")

Here's a (hopefully) more informative translation...

He has a lively outer personality, but inwardly he feels the absence of the mother whose face he never even saw, and that pain weighs constantly on his mind.

On the surface he seems carefree and even thoughtless, but deep inside him a meticulous and acutely perceptive person lies hidden.

As a child, he lost both parents and was raised by his grandmother. He was somewhat smothered by his grandmother's excessive affection which made him rather irresponsible. He refused to make serious plans for his future and showed no interest in business management.

Though he was in name an executive at the flour mill plant, he he didn't perform his duties and was just a burden to the company. That was the reason he was tasked instead with trying to turn round a failing dressmaking factory.

At the dressmaking factory, Sun Wu, who is moaning about his task and reluctant to do it, meets Su In, who calls him "the lousy CEO". Su In's focus and motivation puts him to shame, but at the same time he senses her invigorating charm and starts to come out with what he really thinks and feels.

Kamsahamnida chingu and great to see you here @baduy. Thank you for the translation chingu and looking to see what Kim Seon Woo is made of. Besides He looks so hot in this drama. Better looking than when he was at 1% of S***thing. :wub::wub:

2 people like this

Posted

On 22/4/2017 at 5:51 AM, baduy said:

First Law of Kdrama Drowning (or not drowning): they may fall, jump or be pushed in to the ocean or a river and apparently not seen again, BUT they ain't dead till the corpse is definitively identified. [This is of course especially true when, as in the Sun in the Sky, the apparently drowned person had a couple of stooges lurking under the bridge with bath towels and the Korean equivalent of mugs of hot cocoa to drag him out of the water pronto].

The Second Law of Kdrama Drowning is that when the supposed drowned one is found (generally by some kind-hearted beachcomber) they'll be suffering from amnesia so they won't know how they came to be in the water in the first place, hence their loved ones won't know they've been found.  However, they will have some telltale birthmark or fragment of clothing that allows them to be identified as the Long Lost One many years later.

You can  be sure this is going to happen here, because although they search for the boy for weeks, no-one so much as once mentions that they wish the body could be found so he could be given a proper funeral and a marked grave. This is VERY SUSPICIOUS, especially in a Korean cultural context,  (Again contrast Sun in the Sky where the alleged deceased was known by all concerned to be a total scumbag and yet everyone was frantic to find his corpse so he could be given a decent burial). It indicates that the writer doesn't want us to even ask "what about the corpse?", so that we can be surprised many episodes later when Min Jae comes back to life. But just as Queen Victoria was supposedly prone to remark "We are not amused", so the response of us seasoned Kdrama watchers to such things is "We are not surprised".

FWIW the kid's character profile says
 수인과 바닷가에 놀러 갔다가 실종된다 = "He went with Su In to the beach to play and disappeared."
Although some Korean verbs that can be translated "disappear" can indeed be euphemisms for "die, be killed", 실종[失踪 -- literally "lost traces" ]되다 never is. It means "to go missing, to become a missing person" the assumption being that they're still alive somewhere but can't be found.

That title should be translated "Though a thousand years go by".

It's the first phrase of the refrain:

Though a thousand years go  by,
I will never change.
Passing time won't touch me,
My love for you alone
will burn ever stronger.

Thanks @baduyfor the correct translation.

4 people like this

Posted

preview april 25

2 people like this

Posted

This drama is getting complicated with so many story lines.  New CEO Seon Woo has to try to mend fences with the clients that have abandoned the factory due to the previous manager's mismanagement.  Too many orders were taken and the manager ran off with the deposits.  Kyung Hee suggests that SW take SI rather than her since SI is good at smoothing over the rough spots and also worked as a clerk and can deal with people comfortably.  Madam Cho is informed of the situation and calls SW to her office where he stops before making the rounds with SI.  Episode ends with SI waiting in the car, and notices Mr. Choi walking into the office for a meeting with Madam Cho about using their flour for the noodle factory.

Mr. Jung has so many nefarious side projects that it's hard to keep up with them.  Poor Kang Tae Soo is getting sucked into some pretty bad stuff that can only be real trouble.  I stand corrected  that he might be Min Jae.... I was not aware of the character description as was presented by posters, so maybe Min Jae will appear somehow, somewhere later.

Side stories are just boring and  require fast forwarding.

5 people like this

Posted

38 minutes ago, msmy said:

This drama is getting complicated with so many story lines.  New CEO Seon Woo has to try to mend fences with the clients that have abandoned the factory due to the previous manager's mismanagement.  Too many orders were taken and the manager ran off with the deposits.  Kyung Hee suggests that SW take SI rather than her since SI is good at smoothing over the rough spots and also worked as a clerk and can deal with people comfortably.  Madam Cho is informed of the situation and calls SW to her office where he stops before making the rounds with SI.  Episode ends with SI waiting in the car, and notices Mr. Choi walking into the office for a meeting with Madam Cho about using their flour for the noodle factory.

Mr. Jung has so many nefarious side projects that it's hard to keep up with them.  Poor Kang Tae Soo is getting sucked into some pretty bad stuff that can only be real trouble.  I stand corrected  that he might be Min Jae.... I was not aware of the character description as was presented by posters, so maybe Min Jae will appear somehow, somewhere later.

Side stories are just boring and  require fast forwarding.

@msmy.... CEO Seon Woo needs attitude adjustment, he is too short tempered and is rilkng everyone feather because he doesn't know how to compromise. He has a lot to learn and he willll learn from SI. I can't wait for him to watch SI in action and learn from her. 

Chingu's I will admit I skipped some episode because I was tired of watching SI being mistreated. So can someone tell me DID SI STEAL THE MONEY??? I never thought she was capable of stealing.  When I first saw Choi Jung Woo tell her he no longer trust her , I thought he wa the one who stole the money and allowed to SI take the fall for him. Jung Jae Man paid for her release and he said she didn't do it to JA so now I am very confused chingu. Smh smh smh 

2 people like this

Posted

@UnniSarah... I, too, skipped through that section so I hope someone will summarize it for us.  She was accused because Mr. Jung was getting in hot water for tax evasion, so that was their tactic for blaming it on someone else so he wouldn't get charged.  Did SI get out without any charges or criminal record?  I hope it's not going to come back later to haunt her.

Also, the sister has expressed a real interest in fashion, and Mother #2 will teach her how to use the sewing machine and help with a school sewing project.  That seems to set up a future reunion with SI somehow.

3 people like this

Posted

16 minutes ago, msmy said:

Also, the sister has expressed a real interest in fashion, and Mother #2 will teach her how to use the sewing machine and help with a school sewing project.  That seems to set up a future reunion with SI somehow.

@msmy.... Chingu, I thought the same thing. Both sisters are going to be in same field "FASHION" even the father is selling fabrics but he isn't any good at it. I seen him causing some misunderstanding in the near future for his laziness and greedyness in the future. He knows he is bright but love to pretend. Lately I have been wondering if Young Sun still loves her husband. If I were I would be so tired of his laziness and terrible attitude.

Have you noticed the way SI is always scolding Seon Woo for his terrible way of thinking. Ha Ha ha ha ha :D 

2 people like this