0ly40

[Drama 2017] Sea of the Woman/그 여자의 바다, Mon-Fri. Many thanks to all for support this thread!!

Actually, though we expected, and got, something faily dire, it's not quite as bad as that, as the subs will reveal in due course. The turning point comes when Seon Wu tells Su In that Jae Man's interrogators  have told him that he's likely to die very soon unless he confesses his espionage (which of course he won't). Seon Wu also tells Su In that, far from being repentant like his daughter, Jae Man, despite his battered state, is if anything even more full of hatred towards Su In, Mr Kang and himself, and is saying he will have them all killed even if he has to die in captivity and explicitly sayin he neither wants, nor will ever beg for, their forgiveness. 

This shocks Su In. She says she is determined to see Se Yeong, Jae Man and Jeong Wuk admit their guilt then stand trial for their crimes and serve out the full  term of the sentences they deserve, but she has no wish to bring about the death of any of them. In other words, it's justice she wants, not vengeance. Both Seon Wu and Granny impress on her that after all the unspeakable wrongs those people have inflicted on her she has every right to let them suffer the worst, but Su In is still distressed. In effect, by refusing to confess and repent, Jae Min forces Su In to choose between allowing him to die and getting him released and escaping all retribution. 

But there is another aspect, which Jeong Wu makes clear to her. He tells Su In that he's now prepared to testify to all the crimes he and Jae Min have committed, but warns her that if Jae Man eventually manages to be released by the secret police thanks to the political influence he still has, he will try to have Su In and her associates killed. To prevent that, he says that if Ja Min is released right away he will use the fact that Jae Min still trusts him to get his hands on the vital ledgers in his safe that will provide evidence that will convict him beyond all doubt. This evidence will also lead to Jeong Wuk's own conviction, but he accepts that that is what he deserves for all he has done to Su In. Su In doubts whether she can trust him, but he swears  on the soul of Ji Hun to keep his promise.

So Jae Man is released and immediately orders Jeong Wuk to set about getting President Kang, Seon Wu and Su In killed, but Jeong Wuk persuades him to give him access to the secret ledgers, and he immediately passes them to President Kang, so that all is set for the trial and conviction which is Su In's aim. Jeong Wuk, knowing that the police will be coming for him and Jae Man next day, gives Se Yeong a chance to tell him the truth about her involvement in Ji Hun's death, but she refuses to take it.

Unfortunately next morning, the tax investigators get to the house just before the police, and realizing that the cops will be close on their heels, Jae Man runs off.  Seon Wu conveys this awful news to Su In with one of those unintended  belly-laugh producing lines which so endear these dailies to us "DON'T BE TOO WORRIED".  At that moment, Jae Man is arranging with his Congressman chum to protect him, in the interests of avoiding a trial  that will bring discredit on the whole Party. Jeon Wuk calls Su In with this bad news, but says that he will keep what little he can of the promise he made her and go hand himself in to the police. But Su In tells him not to. He can do more good by pretending to keep playing his role as dutiful son-on-law. That way, he'll be in a position to find out from his MiL or Se Yeong where Jae Min is hiding and get him re-arrested.

However, the story of Jae Man  being on the run and why is all over the newspapers, presumably thanks to President Kang. Jae Man overhears people talking about him, reads the reports and lies in wait to strangle Su In.  So we go into our final cliffhanger with another great laugh line as Su In, his hands round her throat, manages to gasp out "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?"

Episode 150 text preview

Su In comes close to  being killed when she is abushed in a revenge attack by Jae Min, barely escaping with her life.

A little later, Jae Min manages by a desperate effort to escape from the police, but his whole family has to leave their house when it is repossessed and they are scattered penniless to the winds.

Meanwhile, after all the evil deeds of Se Yeong and Jae Man have come to light, a tearful Dong Cheol  apologizes to Su In for misjudging her.

• Like 5

OST part 22: Kokoro - Still I...

preview aug 11

I see you in the new drama:

these are the teasers:

• Like 2

WRAP UP TIME.

As Jae Man's family are about to take to the road with their battered suitcases, Mme O passes on a message to her MiL from Su In's Ample Auntie that she and Se Yeong are welcome to move in to their family house. Mil decides that, on the whole, that might be rather awkward, so gratefully declines the offer. They settle for a humble "inn" instead which falls somewhat short of their high standards. There are no fake leather plastic armchairs, for one thing, a serious hardship for people accustomed by making squeaking noises whenever they sit down.

Jeong Wuk, goes, repentantly neck-tie-less, to see Seon Wu and ASK FOR FORGIVENESS. Luckily for him, Seon Wu is wearing a rather smart pin-stripe FORGIVENESS GRANTING suit. Jeong Wuk in keeping with his promise to Su In, tells Jeong Wook that he is the only person Jae Min is likely to contact, since he still trusts him, but the instant he hears from Jae Min, he will let Seon Wu know where he is then turn himself in.

Then Jeong Wuk gives Se Yeong one last chance to admit what she did to Ji Hun. She finally admits she was involved but still won't accept her guilt, so Jeong Wuk declares they're finished. Leaving their meeting place somewhat upset, Se Jeong is arrested for abduction.

As anticipated, Jae Min calls Seong Wuk and tells him to fetch him some cash.  Jeong Wuk pretends to agree, but comes to their rendezvous with a bunch of policemen. Unfortunately, the arrest squad turns out to be a party of visiting Keystone Cops on an exchange visit and they apply their famed methods for failing to arrest or catch their criminal. Jae Man naturally heads for a high risk clifftop and is cornered there. Jeong Wuk makes the usual PLEAS TO REPENT, but Jae Min rejects them with such vehemence that he falls backwards of the cliff and drowns.

Learning of her father's demise, Se Yeong goes nuts and is taken to an asylum.

ONE YEAR LATER, and the most (or is that the only?) unexpected event in this whole drama has come about. Su In has UNLOOSED HER PONY TAIL. Even had we not been wearily watching the "how much agony is left?" clock that KBS thoughfully puts top left of the screen on these morning dailies, we'd know from that drastic change alone that THE END IS NIGH.

Granny has now recovered her mill and her reputation after Jae Min's evils all came to light, and she also now owns the Noodlery. On the way to Su In's stepmother's birthday celebration gathering at Su In's house she and Su In call in at the factory where Su In, who is now Granny's Right-Hand-Person, gives Ample Auntie's hubby the good news that he's been appointed Head Noodler, with Se Yeong's Uncle as his Second in Command.

Then Su In goes by the jail to hear Jeong Wuk assure her that he's now content with his lot in the uplifting knowledge that Su In was able to forgive him. He's especially glad to hear that Su In will now be able to GO TO COLLEGE and he thanks her for leading him on the path of repentance, but apologizes once again for all he did to her. She assures him that's all water under the bridge and that he should "forget all about" his past sins and start a new life once he's released.

At the same time, Se Yeong's mother pays a visit to the asylum only to be asked why her father and Jeong Wuk haven't come along too. Plainly a hopeless case.

And so to the eatery, where Ample Auntie had had a further amplitude increase as a result of getting pregnant. Mme O has already had her baby, which seems an astonishingly placid infant since it remains fast asleep despite her joggling it up and down in a way guaranteed to shatter the deepest slumbers. No-one seems to have told her that that's how you get babies to nod off (if you're lucky) but once you do, you stop bouncing them up and down, lay them down somewhere comfy and grab a few seconds of life for yourself. Ample Auntie will need to learn that lesson if she's to keep up her previous phenomenal throughput of peeled leeks once her baby's born as well.

And so to the MAIN EVENT round the birthday table. PLUS the MAIN NEWS that Seon Wu is getting married next month to someone called Hui Ju (I think). If I wasn't so keen so get this drama over and done with I'd plow through the earlier episodes to see if the lucky bride had already figured there, but enough is enough.

Yeong Seon and Su In go for an after-lunch breather on the beach, where Su In finally calls Yeong Seon "Omma" and thanks her for being the pillar of their family all these years (quite an achievement for a mistress after all...). That's what family is all about, she opines and Su In agrees.

So that's that. And about time too, I'd say.

• Like 5

@baduy

Thanks for the final recap..

Well I certainly expected things to go as it did. I am disappointed over SI not having a love interesting and TS dying, but not very surprised. I find her achieving her dream for college and playing second fiddle to Granny as her right hand woman a bit uninspiring.

Step mom and dad pretty much got away with what they did earlier on. I guess they figured loosing their son for years and his being framed and going to jail was enough punishment for his treating his 1st wife the way he did and his daughters as if they were nothing. Not to mention the adultery, the stealing from SI and mental abuse he inflicted on her.

I still find Step mom as very selfish and she got to have it all in the end.. both her sons back, kept her marriage and got SI to call her mom. In my opinion she is not released from having a relationship with another woman's husband even if the woman just let it go. Even making up with her first born son's Halmoni. Oh well.. I guess the point was for SI to get what she wanted the most and that was to go to school, and have her fathers late apology on how he treated her. (I had to wonder many times what her true dream was (or at the very least remember what it was.)  and for a while we lost sight that she wanted to go to college. It certainly was a long road to get to that point.)

I was not surprised about SY because she was mental and a product of her fathers brow beating over being the best early on. JW I was glad to see admitted his fault and took his punishment. JM, well there was no other way but death for him because he was just as nuts as his daughter but also he just refused to see he did anything wrong.

Are all TV Novel's along the same lines? Do they all center in earlier years?

It was fun chatting with each of you about this drama.. but I have to say I am glad its over.. LOL.. I hope to cross paths again with you in another thread. Thanks to everyone who provided video, recaps and interesting chat..

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Ldy Gmerm said:

Are all TV Novel's along the same lines? Do they all center in earlier years?

All the ones I've seen do. They nearly all start with some sort of family-dispersing and/or children-swapping event in the Korean War and its consequences in the 70s or 80s. The also use 99% identical sets (fittingly enough because the plots and characters are also at least 75% identical)

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, baduy said:

All the ones I've seen do. They nearly all start with some sort of family-dispersing and/or children-swapping event in the Korean War and its consequences in the 70s or 80s.

From watching TV Novels since 2004, I feel that trend became prominent starting around 2007. Those produced before that year were definitely much better.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, creidesca said:

From watching TV Novels since 2004, I feel that trend became prominent starting around 2007. Those produced before that year were definitely much better.

Interesting to know that. 2007 was around when my Korean first started to b ecome good enough to follow dailies (which back then were hardly ever subbed, especially not the morning ones) so I've really no knowledge or recollection of what went before.