Chi Le

[Drama 2017] The Liar and His Lover - Lee Hyun Woo, Joy

ot

if you watch already dots did you know joy's group red velvet got cameo here

• Like 6

@dhakra, I'm currently watching Episode 10 with subs, and you know your favorite scene that you turned into a gif? Do you think that was scripted, or perhaps it was a adlib? It just looks so natural (the way Lee Hyun Woo did it) and funny how Han Gyul got all excited and forgot about his headphones on his neck :lol:

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, ferily said:

@dhakra, I'm currently watching Episode 10 with subs, and you know your favorite scene that you turned into a gif? Do you think that was scripted, or perhaps it was a adlib? It just looks so natural (the way Lee Hyun Woo did it) and funny how Han Gyul got all excited and forgot about his headphones on his neck :lol:

I don't know, but If it was an adlip, I'm sure it must have hurt A LOT. So I'm guessing it was scripted. :D 

• Like 8

Hi Chingus! Happy Friday (or Saturday for others)! I've been MIA again :sweatingbullets: but I finally caught up on the thread!!

On 4/19/2017 at 3:56 AM, WaGGy said:

Lurker no more. Can’t help but post, the show is too lovely to be taken for granted which makes me wonder why the rating is sooo low. :o

At last they kiss. How lovely!

It is not that I’m waiting for it or it is that important, but even without that kiss the show could tickle you heart just by watching SR & HG's interaction. It is a feel good series, not too much drama and complication…. very simple premise but it makes you feel happy before going to bed at night after a busy day. It also helps that SR’s smile is contagious beyond the screen and (as of the last epi) HG has become giddy cute. Aww. :love:. No more lies just pure love!

10 episodes done, 6 more episodes left. Too short if you ask me,  right now I want more! And there are many unanswered questions and side stories to be explored. To mention a few:

• I’m still not sure whether to hate CY or not. There is something about him that makes me question his intentions. He has this obvious desire to prove himself. It bothers him that he might be forever known (by CP) as the “replacement” hence he wants to make a name for himself away from CrudePlay. Can’t blame him, the band mates already have a cemented friendship and this for me is one of the best part of the series - the friendship. CY knows he cannot replace HG, but the thing is he doesn’t have to feel that way. He could think of himself as an “addition” to the group and not a replacement, it’ll make him feel better, not bitter. I hope he could overcome his envy. I maybe wrong but he is envious of the way people like CEO Choi and President Yoo reveres and are overprotective of Han Gyeol. He is also envious of the fact that despite being artistically moody and difficult, Han Gyeol is still very much loved by his friends, and now of a very talented and sweet girl So Rim. He purposely hid the information from HG that it was SoRim's band CEO Choi wants HG to produce - CY wants to hurt HG, obviously.  He is overprotective of SoRim - could it be that he has developed feelings for her or that she sees her as a mere instrument to overtake HG? I hope in the end he'll be man enough to accept that HG too like how the rest of the band accepted HG's genius and his flaws, and hopefully he'll be selfless and allow HG to compose songs for Much & Co.to pave way for their success. He'll gain more love and respect that way. 

CEO Choi and President Yoo. These two can be confusing, love ‘em or hate ‘em… or both.

• Iron Lady Yoo. Initially I thought rich lady boss Yoo is outright manipulative and money hungry, but then they gave us a peek of another side of her, possibly a romantic side. Ever since In Woo (HG’s father) showed up, the seemingly iron lady is slowly becoming more human. I wonder what happened to their love story? According to CEO Choi she has a part in the “stealing” of Kang In Woo’s songs, which makes me ask why and how? It shows that she still has a thing for In Woo until now, whatever happened to them before we could only speculate, but I hope the show would explain everything… and if there is a second chance in love, it would be interesting. Haha.
  • CEO Choi. Is he a musician or a businessman? Can be both, but is he MORE for money or for music? He is a pianist and he knows a talent when he sees one, just like how he discovered SR. I hated the fact that he purposely removed HG’s song from the choices just so CY’s song would be picked by the bosses. Being a musician he knows that one day SR will compose songs and would realize how bad their debut song was… and how mediocre CY is. Ouch. He fits well with Yuna, two imperfect people can be perfect together.
  • Kang In Woo - I may be biased here but I love Choi Min Soo! LOL. I want to know his backstory. Why he sold his music, why he ran away and left HG and his wife. I just hope he gets a happy ending, be it a renewed father-son relationship with HG, a funny father-futuredaughterinlaw relationship with SR, a successful album of his own or plain justice for stealing his music. It won’t hurt if he’ll have a lovestory of his own LOL. There is chance he can make Iron Lady Yoo melt and become an executive with heart. I’m asking too much I know...
  • Shi-Hyun and the girl (duno her name LOL). Another possibility: an ordinary girl and a superstar. Cute but more career-dangerous than the HG-SR story. It’ll surely drive CEO Choi crazy!
  • Kyu-sun and his Chan-Young-crazy-so-called-girlfriend. How I hate this girl. She is the only downright bad person in this series. At least President Yoo, CEO Choi, and even Yuna have gray areas, but this girl is all for selfish reasons: she wants Chan Young. Period. As if! Where is karma when you needed it?

There are more subplots to explore and polish like the relationship of HG and his Dad and the main plot: the lovestory of HG and SR. Can they resolve that in 6 episodes? Not unless they rush it, but I pray not. 

(Sorry for the long post... got carried away! LOL)

First of all, welcome to the thread! Well you were a lurker but welcome to not being a lurker anymore!! Second, I love all the points you hit in your post and I agreed with all of them!

Chan Young... Definitely a mysterious character.. I am just like you and not sure if I should like him or not.. I definitely don't like some of his intentions and manipulation, especially when it comes between SR and HG, but at the same time, I feel as some of his intentions are geniune... Very conflict whether I should like him or not. I'm in the middle ground with CY...

I really want to know Han Gyul's father, Kang In Woo, backstory too! And I want to see him patch his relationship with Han Gyul... I like how in Episode 9 and 10, they seemed more comfortable around each other and there wasn't too much tension. Maybe because they're talking about Seo Rim, haha! But I hope in the next 6 episodes, we'll see Han Gyul and his father's relationship get better and turn into a good relationship..

On 4/20/2017 at 0:50 AM, lovcom00 said:

I've just finished my weekly dose of TLAHL and it keeps being SO good. Maybe this is because I was prepared for the worst, but I enjoyed Ep 9 (and let's not talk about how I couldn't find a moment to stop and go to sleep once I began Ep 10 because EVERYTHING  was happening at once..) Seriously, this show may be light but has a lot of heart and there's always a lot going on, I can't believe we passed the middle mark already (and I don't know what I'll do once it's over). I just hope they'll keep this pacing,

I can't believe the rating they're getting!!! The last tvN shows considered "a flop" at last tuned in a lot of people on the first week, then the rating declined, but the fact that is infuriating is that TLAHL wasn't even given a chance. Guess people in Korea haven't tried to watch because the female lead is an high schooler and maybe it could be easier if this was aired earlier and on public broadcast, anyway this is such a pity.

I personally don't care about the genre, this is such a good show and I'm quite invested about all the characters, even YN, Choi and Director Yoo are somewhat pitiful and relatable, because they're doing their job (the one who can just disappear is THAT stupid-stalking girl..), the only relationship that I didn't quite grab by the way is the one between Choi and Yuna, are they really interested in each other?

Lastly, my enemy CY was the most petty EVER when he bought new smartphones to the whole group because SR kept watching and touching her couple cover.. also "I'll write a better song"?? Why can't he put himself aside for awhile and think about M&co first? Like maybe people are having emergency meetings about their debut flopping? Maybe they need a new song from a more experienced composer (it doesn't have to be K, I swear)?

Anyway maybe he'll surprise me and grow up before the show ends.. for now, HGxSR are the cutest and the funniest. I loved how SR was all "Han Gyul-shi" while pouting with all that red lipstick in front of the mirror and HG running with his headphones on? Epic lol

EDIT: Another thing I just thought about, SR's stage fright wasn't addressed for awhile now. After all during her live at the competition there was HG, playing music and making eye contact with her and now, at her debut showcase he showed up just before the beginning and she was immediately relieved and started to sing. I wonder if is HG's presence that's helping her relax and sing freely, it almost seems like she's singing just for him (and the lyrics are always on point lol). So, when she was little her parents couldn't come because of the incident and the granny had to leave right in the middle, but HG keeps coming and reassuring her with his presence, hope this won't ever change.

The OST songs for me are a clear indication of where the story is heading, so now, in the "Shiny Boy" era, it's all about cuteness and mutual attraction and we're somewhat safe, but I'm bracing myself for the time SR will sing "How I'll wait". Era of tears is coming.

*shivers*

It's really sad to see what low ratings this drama is getting :( This drama is just so good and lighthearted... I love the story flow of this drama and how the pacing of the drama is great. All the scenes in the drama are important and we don't really get any scene thrown in an episode that has nothing to do with the drama. Every scene has an importance to the plot, and I really appreciate and like that. The writing is great so far, I love all the actors and actresses, and I love the OST! I wish more K-netizens would appreciate this drama...it's so underrated...

I think it is definitely Han Gyul that's making Seo Rim's stage fright disappear! Remember when she was at her debut showcase in front of the whole school and she looked nervous and had a worried look on her face? As soon as Han Gyul rushed in, SR immediately smiled and started to sing confidently. I think HG helps SR gain the confident to sing in front of people and like you said, he helps her sing freely and relax. I also hope this continues between the two of them!

Oh definitely an era of tears are going to come. One thing everyone should know in a drama, happy times and cuteness do not last long!! There is definitely going to be some pain and tears in the next few episodes.. I really hope that HG and SR stand through it together and through it all. Please no noble idiocy!

On 4/20/2017 at 3:23 AM, mimi9899 said:

tvNloveliar facebook updated

thank stylist, i like their outfit, couple look :wink:

btw, they wore couple shoe already :) i look forward to see Si Hyun will realize that then tease Hangyeol :))

(cr as tagged)

Wow, I didn't even notice they were wearing the couple shoes! Thank you for pointing it out! I'm going to go back in Episode 10 and see where exactly they start to wear it and if they are wearing it in the biking scene :D

On 4/20/2017 at 5:01 AM, aunniek said:

I REALLY hope that HG's dad will tell him about the album situation and they can talk it out.  This scenario provides IG with the opportunity to explain his past relationships and decisions and for HG to share how his dad's situation made him feel and how it influenced his decisions over the years.  I think this understanding could really help HG free himself from some of the burdens he's put upon himself.  

Yeeesss~~ This is one thing I am really hoping for the drama to do. Actually I'm sure they will cover this whole conflict between Han Gyul and his father because they did bring it up so many times already. If they just drop this conflict all together.....well I doubt that will happen because seeing how this drama is going so far...yeah~ I think they will cover it eventually but I'm really hoping they will patch up their relationship and we'll get more insight on HG's father's past!

• Like 9

Also I just want to share my thoughts on Episode 10~

My goodness.. This romance between Seo Rim and Han Gyul. Gosh, Han Gyul is just a cute little puppy wagging his tail towards Seo Rim... He is soooo in love with her and super happy. Man, is this the same Han Gyul from like 5 episodes ago?? His actions and behavior is so adorable and cute (and cheesy) towards Seo Rim haha. One thing I really like though is that Han Gyul took a step forward to Seo Rim with his feelings, and he's the one chasing after her now! Before it was Seo Rim constantly chasing after HG, but now it is completely flipped! (@triplem mentioned this too about HG chasing SR now) It's funny to see that Han Gyul is the one waiting for Seo Rim's text or constantly calling SR because he misses her now, hehe! I love how Han Gyul is more open with his feelings too (as @dhakra mentioned) and doesn't even try to come up with excuses or hide his feelings anymore. He straight up says what he feels to Seo Rim and being so genuine around her. I'm glad we are seeing this side of Han Gyul and he isn't hiding anything anymore with Seo Rim :lol:

One thing I loved in Episode 10 is the bromance and friendship between Han Gyul and Crude Play. I honestly love love their friendship so much and I wish we would get so many more scenes with them! Love how they all grabbed Han Gyul and threw him in the water, haha! And then they carried him and got him completely soaked! Another scene where I like their friendship is when they were eating dinner and drinking together. Ahhh, these moments are just so precious.. Haha and the members practically forced Han Gyul to drink that half glass of alcohol!

And then about the kiss scene.. Okay, my thoughts kind of changed about it after watching the Episode subbed. The whole bike scene and the dialogue in that scene was really sweet. I love how HG said his heart was beating fast because he's with the woman he likes (eek!) :wub: Also I really like that after meeting SR, he became weird and changed. He used to be able to hide his feelings before but now he can't anymore. Man, sooo sweet~ Then when he kissed her, I think it's actually really sweet that he kissed her after what she said, that she always liked him and she still does like him. Such a sweet moment, but I do think the kiss could've been better :D (But I already know it wasn't that passionate because of Joy and maybe also because Seo Rim is still 19 years old...)

Now if you excuse me, I'll be rewatching the previous episodes instead of doing my homework....

• Like 13

1 hour ago, ferily said:

Also I just want to share my thoughts on Episode 10~

My goodness.. This romance between Seo Rim and Han Gyul. Gosh, Han Gyul is just a cute little puppy wagging his tail towards Seo Rim... He is soooo in love with her and super happy. Man, is this the same Han Gyul from like 5 episodes ago?? His actions and behavior is so adorable and cute (and cheesy) towards Seo Rim haha. One thing I really like though is that Han Gyul took a step forward to Seo Rim with his feelings, and he's the one chasing after her now! Before it was Seo Rim constantly chasing after HG, but now it is completely flipped! (@triplem mentioned this too about HG chasing SR now) It's funny to see that Han Gyul is the one waiting for Seo Rim's text or constantly calling SR because he misses her now, hehe! I love how Han Gyul is more open with his feelings too (as @dhakra mentioned) and doesn't even try to come up with excuses or hide his feelings anymore. He straight up says what he feels to Seo Rim and being so genuine around her. I'm glad we are seeing this side of Han Gyul and he isn't hiding anything anymore with Seo Rim :lol:

One thing I loved in Episode 10 is the bromance and friendship between Han Gyul and Crude Play. I honestly love love their friendship so much and I wish we would get so many more scenes with them! Love how they all grabbed Han Gyul and threw him in the water, haha! And then they carried him and got him completely soaked! Another scene where I like their friendship is when they were eating dinner and drinking together. Ahhh, these moments are just so precious.. Haha and the members practically forced Han Gyul to drink that half glass of alcohol!

And then about the kiss scene.. Okay, my thoughts kind of changed about it after watching the Episode subbed. The whole bike scene and the dialogue in that scene was really sweet. I love how HG said his heart was beating fast because he's with the woman he likes (eek!) :wub: Also I really like that after meeting SR, he became weird and changed. He used to be able to hide his feelings before but now he can't anymore. Man, sooo sweet~ Then when he kissed her, I think it's actually really sweet that he kissed her after what she said, that she always liked him and she still does like him. Such a sweet moment, but I do think the kiss could've been better :D (But I already know it wasn't that passionate because of Joy and maybe also because Seo Rim is still 19 years old...)

Now if you excuse me, I'll be rewatching the previous episodes instead of doing my homework....

One of the things I like most about this show is the "cheese" factor.  Just love Lee Hyon Woo!!! Definitely gives me a boost while dealing with RL............:D:D

• Like 7

3 hours ago, ferily said:

One thing I really like though is that Han Gyul took a step forward to Seo Rim with his feelings, and he's the one chasing after her now! Before it was Seo Rim constantly chasing after HG, but now it is completely flipped! (@triplem mentioned this too about HG chasing SR now) It's funny to see that Han Gyul is the one waiting for Seo Rim's text or constantly calling SR because he misses her now, hehe! I love how Han Gyul is more open with his feelings too (as @dhakra mentioned) and doesn't even try to come up with excuses or hide his feelings anymore. He straight up says what he feels to Seo Rim and being so genuine around her. I'm glad we are seeing this side of Han Gyul and he isn't hiding anything anymore with Seo Rim :lol:

@ferily  Enjoyed reading your post, I'm liking the new HG now also, He's no longer hiding his feelings for her.. I just don't like whats to come from it all. We have three people thats not going to be so happy about it.. Being that HG knows SR gets jello about anything pertaining to Yh he will not write or produce anymore songs for her.. So Mgr will either tell HG to keep writing for Yj so he can continue to bed her or he can't work in the studio anymore.. Then we'll have YH jello because of HG action towards SR which she never got and not going to like the facts that he's willing to do these things for SR so yes break them up.. Now on to CY who looked like a MAC truck ran him over when he thought that SR and HG was no longer involved with one another..  I hated the fact it was his idea to drink knowing that HG passes out after one drink., He used it to his advantage to be with SR..  I see a lot more mischief coming from the trio.. CY is already mad that he can't write anymore for SR since HG song went to #1.. CY knows he don;t have the knick for writiing and producing music like HG so he will be using his so alled three year promise to keep SR tied to him why he can't do jack..

• Like 7

On 4/17/2017 at 11:09 PM, hushhh said:

@packmule3 Ah, the passion rises again.  Good to see you are at your keyboard defending the misunderstood.

I'm over at Whispers passively watching the intrigue, and at Radiant Office, quasi-lurking. 

Work consumes so much of my attention passive watching here and there is the best I can do.

Me, @hushhh? Defend the misunderstood? smiley-emoticon-325-basic%20smileys%20ga  I told you before that when it comes to kdramas, I’m just a serial dater.  

I “date” these different kdramas and give them 2 episodes – tops – to entice me to form a relationship with them. My evenings are short, and there are so many kromcoms to spend date-nights with. So if the script cannot enthrall me or seduce me to stay for a few more episodes, here's an air-kiss and a “Nice knowing you” from me. I cannot be faithfully defending one misunderstood drama nowadays.  If that makes me a scarlet woman in the eyes of the drama gods, so be it. 

On a serious note, though. I'll watch Chicago Typewriter too and see what the fuss is all about.

I hope your workload will lighten up soon. But watching your young students perform should be fun, right? I often think that’s the reason I watch dramas like “Liar and Lover” with a young cast … to make my atrophied and cynical heart feel young again.  

@staygold, Are you marathoning this weekend?  Hurry up, and try to catch up. Episode 10 is fun. (Same thing with you, @bebe1989. Quit poking! Because I poke back.Free Smiley lol.) 

One thing you should keep in mind, @staygold, is that not everybody is transparent. Take for instance, HG. He claims he isn’t a good bassist, and I think that too is a lie.  

Spoiler. Don’t read till you’ve seen Ep 10. 

Spoiler

He just gave himself away when he told SR that he’s a human metronome. Timing.  THAT is the main, the MOST valuable contribution of a bassist to a band; he sets the tempo. And if he doesn’t have this rhythm-timing-thing internalized, then the music falls apart.  

You see, there are many qualities of a great bassist. Off the top of my head, I’ll list: good ear, drive/dedication, and music “sensitivity” or the ability to make the others sound good, and good judgment (or sometimes just plain intuition) to know what music “works” and doesn’t. 

And we’ve seen that HG has these qualities: 
He’s got the “ear” (i.e., can tell if music’s in tune, has perfect pitch (a rare gift)…)

He has the drive/dedication. He works all the time. He doesn’t goof off. When he was arranging YooNa’s music, he was able to have it all done in less than 3 hours (enough time to go to SR’s showcase in time). 

He may have tunnel vision when it comes to his interpersonal relationships, but you can’t accuse him of being INSENSITIVE musically. He knows what the others need to do to make the music sound good (Ep 8, at 18:52, he tells the session bass guitarist what to do, and Ep 1, the Hyung expects HG’s tutelage). 

And he exhibits good judgment with music. That’s why his music with Yoona topped the charts right away, while Chan-Young hit 10th, then slid down to 32nd by the 3rd week, Ep at 18:00.

Moreover, there’s this scene in Episode 5 when their CEO Jin-Hyuk tells CY that his music is too plain. CY reasons out that all music starts with the same chords. But JH is a trained musician, and he replies that, true, chords are the same but THE arrangement of the same musical chords distinguishes the gifted composer from the plain one. 

You see, for any good bass player, the knowledge of chords, and how to vary or play around with them is critical.  Especially in a band, the bassist is there simply to support the vocals or the soloist who carries the melody of the song. Thus, the bassist must know chords, arpeggios, scales, riffs, and harmonics, and be versatile enough to create something on the spot while keeping the right timing. Obviously, HG has the ear for music and knows his music theory. He’s been successfully composing and producing the band’s music for years, hasn’t he?   

But what’s revealing about this scene in Episode 5, is that while JH picks apart CY’s composition, on the other part of town, HG is listening to the same musical composition by CY, and he hears the exact, same flaws that JH does. He thinks the music is good and will fit SR’s voice but there are changes that can be made to tweak it. He then proceeds to jot down his notes on how to improve the song. Unfortunately, when he brings this up with CY the following day, CY tells him brusquely and defensively to stop interfering. 

This whole dynamic revealed in this short scene is noteworthy because it reveals that JH and HG have similar musical perception and judgment. That’s why JH gives HG a lot of leeway when it comes to musical decisions: HG can hear what JH hears, and that’s why JH trusts his musical decision. 

But what makes HG special is that he can actually IMPROVE on the work. He’s a naturally gifted composer while JH can only point out, announce or detect the faults.  Lol. In religious terms, there’s a big difference between John the Baptist (who’s the herald) and Jesus Christ (the messiah).  

Anyway… as I was saying about the timing. Arguably, the most valuable asset of a bass guitar is his timing, or rhythm. He can change  I’ve long wondered whether HG has good timing because he’s fussy about the metronome (Ep 1 at 41:10). I thought it odd for the set director to have that metronome ticking beside him when HG’s already wearing headphones. It doesn’t make sense: he won’t be able to hear the beats. Lol. But then, I realized it’s probably for emphasis because in another episode (Ep 4 at 31: 23, and at 50:30), HG winds up his metronome again. Meanwhile on his computer screen, the beat and the time signature are already set to play. This tells me that he’s aware of the importance of rhythm in his music, and he won’t ignore that part when he’s playing the bass. 

So, yes, I suspected then that he can actually play bass well (despite what JH told him). Then, his declaration to SR in Episode 10 that he’s a “human metronome” solidified my suspicions. 

That’s why I think he’s hiding something when he refuses to play the bass. ChanYoung probably doesn’t know that HG plays well enough that he doesn’t need a session player. He can get back his original spot in the band if he wants to. 

But I think HG doesn’t want to let CY know of his real playing ability -- perhaps out of professional courtesy or perhaps out of sympathy for CY who feels like a second-class citizen or perhaps out of a “non-compete clause” or restraint he imposed upon himself to help establish camaraderie in the band.  Who knows why? 

But the point here is I think HG is lying again.

@fikachuuu, tagging you again. I know you watched the movie, and finished Ep 1. But please do hurry and join us. As I’ve said in our other thread, the movie might be good, but it has only a skeletal plot when compared to how the writers fleshed out the characters in this kdrama. 

For instance, the rationale behind the title: She Loves Lies Too Much.  I found it dissatisfying that the movie didn’t expound on this.  So, upon cursory reading, the title gives the impression that SoRim is a very immature child. Why? Because she knowingly believes in lies as her way of coping, or her defense mechanism. She needs lies to preserve her illusions -- or a more apt word, her delusions.  

However, because of … spoiler alert… Episode 9

Spoiler

we find out that she’s in fact mature beyond her years. When she tells HG’s dad that she knows HG lies but he lies so as not to hurt others, she displays an understanding of HIS psychology. She regards his lies as intentionally altruistic, or good. She understands that he’s trying to protect others with his lies, even at the expense of being the bad guy. He bears the responsibility – or the repercussion -- of his lies on his own accord. 

Unlike other adults surrounding HG, SR is willing to see the good in him. She isn’t quick to judge or to condemn – which says a lot about her maturity level.  In Episode 4, for instance, she tells him that she doesn’t like to do what other people normally do when they catch a lie. According to HG, they typically get mad and cuss at him, but SHE wants to be different from them. lol. She probably senses that he’s already feeling dejected that day, so she doesn’t want to pile it on.

I also like the little connections to tie in different characters of the show. I know this wasn’t possible in the movie, given the time constraints (90 minutes versus 16 episodes) but I like how this kdrama kept the main themes of the movie, and developed them by adding details.  

For instance, the songs.  

SoRim and the Dad sing a song together in Episode 2. SoRim sings “You’re my Pinocchio”. Lol. We all know what this wooden puppet Pinocchio is infamous for, right? His nose grows longer every time he LIES. Meanwhile, the Dad sings “And I’m your Gepetto.”  Later on, HG has a flashback of himself as a young child listening adoringly to his Dad while he sings the same line, “I’m your Gepetto.”   The young HG didn’t foresee it back then, but he’ll grow up to become a Pinocchio playing the music for the puppet-maker, his CEO JH.  

So, in this instance, this whole subject matter of "lying" is enhanced by a well-selected song lyric. The original lie, or the first lie, began with the much-idolized father. Who became like a Gepetto, pulling the (emotional) strings of his son, that even after a decade or so, his son is still traumatized by his father's perceived betrayal of his music. His father didn't defend his own creation; he sold his music away.  As a counter-reaction, HG has been uncompromising and unyielding in his pursuit of his musical expression, NOT knowing that he too is guilty of "selling" or giving away his own music for the sake of friendship and for love (his first musical arrangement for SR was credited to CY.)  In a sense, he's willing to commit  the same mistake as his father.    

Also, in Episode 4, HG composes a song for SR, “Waiting for you.” He reflects on his earlier conversation with SR. SR had asked him to remain still where he is, and she’d do everything to catch up to him first. He replied that he wasn’t worth it as he wasn’t at all the good person that she’d imagine. And she replied that it was okay. She further said, that although she was discovering that he was vastly different from what she expected him to be, she liked him even more.  Meaning, the more she peels away the misperceptions or lies, she’s liking the real him more. 

The interesting thing here is HG’s dad composed a song named “Waiting for HanGyul to be born.” And the lyrics, according to Dramafever went like this: You weren’t good about being sincere. I’m not good at having you in my life. If the translation is correct, then both father and son are expressing sentiments of unworthiness. Yet they’re waiting for their beloved (the son in the Dad’s case, Sorim in HanGyul’s case) to come and seek them out. It’s as if they admit they’re unworthy, but believe that their love isn’t worthless. It still has value, for what it’s worth. 

That’s why, for me, the shoe-repair scene between the Dad and lady CEO in Episode 10 is poignant. It parallels the flash drive scene between SR and HG in Episode 8, and also shows how similar in character the father and the son are.  

Both ladies have NO need for the men's offerings: a repaired shoe and a demo of a song. One lady has a replacement pair of shoes in the car, and the other lady has another debut song all ready for recording. But both father and son insist on giving these things to their ladies, no matter how trifling the gesture may seem, because those are the best that they can give. They're tokens of their sincerity.  Like father, like son.

Gotta run. But will tag a handful of people: @CatchMine_ID, @phikyl, @lynne22, @onlysb1.

• Like 19

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, packmule3 said:

That’s why, for me, the shoe-repair scene between the Dad and lady CEO in Episode 10 is poignant. It parallels the flash drive scene between SR and HG in Episode 8, and also shows how similar in character the father and the son are.  

Both ladies have NO need for the men's offerings: a repaired shoe and a demo of a song. One lady has a replacement pair of shoes in the car, and the other lady has another debut song all ready for recording. But both father and son insist on giving these things to their ladies, no matter how trifling the gesture may seem, because those are the best that they can give. They're tokens of their sincerity.  Like father, like son.

Really enjoyed reading  your post. What I quoted above struck me the most. The irony Is HG tried so hard at the beginning to not be like dad or turn out like him. I remember how protective HG is of his music & how he could never understand why dad would just let someone steal his compositions. 

You are right, they really are like Father & Son. Not good with emotional confrontations. Dad ran away rather then confront things when his music was taken away from him. HG does that too, especially in the earlier episodes, he would push people away & hide behind his music rather than deal with all  the problems others had with him

Edited by triplem
  • Like 11

Hello everyone . Hope you.re good

havent been here for a month because of work and holidays hehe . 

I see that i have a lot to catch up with, actually at episode 4 i watched two yesterday . I find it very cute until now, hope i won.t be disappointed later 

• Like 8

Hi guys I have finally decided to join you guys in the discussion and to share my thoughts :D . Might have to backread some pages though :sweatingbullets:.  Initially, I was hesitant to start this drama for 2 reasons I liked the movie and disliked the manga it was based on (Also Goblin withdrawals). I wasn’t sure what take this drama would have of the story so I was afraid that it would disappoint either because it would be too different from the original storyline of the movie or too similar to the manga which I disliked.

However, after much pesteri—erm I mean persuasion from @packmule3 (thanks for tagging me packmule3!) to start this drama, I finally caved in and watched the first episode. (I have yet to watch ep 9-10 so I might have to hold back from reading her second post until then..) To my surprise it turned out better than I expected. I especially liked how they enhanced the set up of the main couple’s first meeting. Instead of their first meeting being on the bridge near the Han river, they met on the bus instead where Han Gyeol first met SR or rather her voice. I would like to believe that was when he first got infatuated or perhaps fell in love with her voice…even though he it happened unconsciously. Therefore, I think he wasn’t lying when he said that he fell in love at first sight with her voice.

Furthermore, in episode 6 or 7 (Can’t remember which… marathoning episodes seemed to have merged all of them in to one whole movie :tongue:) YN believed that the song HG made on a whim when he first officially met SR was inspired by their breakup. However, I believe that the song was made for SR from the start. The reason I believe it to be so was because of the way they had made their first meeting. HG had SR’s voice unconsciously ingrained in his mind when they met on the bus unknowingly. This is further substantiated in the scene where HG showed SR his hobby in (mentally?) scouting voices on the bus where their actual first meeting had been (which btw I found it to be aww..so romantic). He told her that when he finds the voice that he liked he would make a song that perfectly fits that said voice. Perhaps it was her voice that had inspired the melody of the I’m okay song.I think that is perhaps why in the scene where he was listening to the song which SR continued writing for him he had this moment of familiarity and then he became obsessed and couldn’t get the sound of her voice out of his head XD. (Somehow this reminds me of ET and KS’s first meeting in goblin 0.o).

Btw off topic, is it just me or does Hyun woo (Han gyeol) remind me so much of G-dragon. They’re not exactly alike but everytime I hear HG’s voice I keep thinking G-dragon lol. They have similar voices with the addition to their fondness for truffles :tongue:. Also, I would like to add that I wish they would use more of Joy’s raw singing voice instead of a recording (The only times we get to hear her raw voice is during the second time SR met HG when she wanted him to notice her during the audition and in another one of the later episodes which I can’t remember). It kind of irked me in the scene where she first met CY that they didn’t use her raw voice (and her whistling sounded like a recorder playing, like why??). But maybe that’s just me being picky. >_<

On 4/17/2017 at 10:36 PM, packmule3 said:

think this judgment is too harsh.  In fact, it can be argued that the most honest character in this whole kdrama -- besides SooRim and the extras like her grandmother -- is HanGyul himself because he stays true to his calling, his music. Lol.

Do you think that because of this attitude of "staying true to his music" is why HG quit being the bassist of the band? I feel like he did so not because he thinks that he is lacking as a bassist but rather because he either 1)Wanted no part in the producer's (forgot his name) plan/fakeness in using session band players to cover for the actual band's weaknesses or 2) He wanted to give his friends at least someone who will be able to truely play his instrument live. 

• Like 9

our sorim

• Like 6