Quantcast
tompark

[Drama 2018] Mother, 마더

23 hours ago, tigro said:

I see now that the abuse stuff is much more detailed in this version and has a darker approach , but the fact that they made a five year old go through a child molesting scene like that is so uncomfortable .

• Like 1

The atmosphere that this drama creates is really amazing. As soon as you start the episode, the whole room fills with such an aura of uncomfortableness.

• It was just a small scene in the beginning, but the scene where Hye Na's mother pushed her down the stairs was so painful to watch. I felt so sorry for HN in that moment, you could see in her face how much it hurt her. All my protective instincts are going crazy within me. It so sad and every inch of my body wants to help her.
    This scene is so horrible :( 
  • LBY is clearly umcomfortable to meet so much people already. So many have seen Hye Na's face. This will become a problem very soon. They will track her with ease. 
  • Ja Young is probably the worst mother ever. Buying a morning coffee while her child may be dead. Her boyfriend, which as we learned is an ex-convict, really said some disgusting things. He is happy when HN will not be found.
  • LBY really managed to find a bunch of people there. It's clearly that they people who run that hostel were human-trafficker. And based on the girls words in the van, they also seem to deal with organs.
  • The last couple of minutes were so atmospheric. The drama really knows how to create such moments. At the time we watched the train entering the station, all I could think of was: "This will be a long and high emotional drama". I already have the feeling we will get some major up and downs and it will be quite hurtful. 
  • I'm also aware that at one point the drama will ask us some questions about moral.
  • Soo Jin already feels like she reached her limits already, it's only the first day and you can clearly see her desperation. She clearly feels at unease, because not only she already met some shady people, but she is already scared at being caught.
    She really didn't like the place.
  • Like 7

@tigro.... I will definitely give the Japanese a chance now. I was thinking of not watching it because of the age difference and that the child actress may not be good. But after reading your POV , I will go watch it. 

@jfritz09....I agree chingu. Soo-Jin really wants to protect her and SJ needs maternal love so badly. She is adorable and curious thing. Being with Soo-Jin makes Hye Na Happy. She smiles so much more. You are right they both need healing and love. I

I found it so sad that SJ only love birds but now she learning to love another human being. She has closed herself and she sees herself in Hye Na. The fact she has always been alone means something because SJ is still very lost even as an adult.  I think that SJ has a customer her life like migrating birds and never staying in one place for a very long time. :bawling::bawling:

• Like 4

There is quite a lot happening in Episode 2, but what stood out to me were a few quiet moments that showed the blossoming relationship between Soo Jin and Hye Na. There was the image of petite LBY struggling to carry the sleeping Hye Na in the train station. Then there was my favorite moment where Soo Jin was singing a lullaby while cradling Hye Na in her arms. The girl asked if she was heavy, and Soo Jin replied yes, but she didn't want to let go of her because she was afraid of losing her. The drama is starting to show us that Soo Jin is not simply a savior to Hye Na, but she in some ways really needs this relationship as well because it is a healing relationship to her.

• Like 6

did you get what HY was talking about when she talked about that dead child ? does that mean there was a boy living with the mom that they killed ? the creep is a psychopath.. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, UnniSarah said:

@jfritz09....I agree chingu. Soo-Jin really wants to protect her and SJ needs maternal love so badly. She is adorable and curious thing. Being with Soo-Jin makes Hye Na Happy. She smiles so much more. You are right they both need healing and love. I

I found it so sad that SJ only love birds but now she learning to love another human being. She has closed herself and she sees herself in Hye Na. The fact she has always been alone means something because SJ is still very lost even as an adult.  I think that SJ has a customer her life like migrating birds and never staying in one place for a very long time. :bawling::bawling:

You raised a very good point about how Soo Jin has lived her life like a migrating bird until now.

Migrating birds travel in groups. Perhaps subconsciously, Soo Jin is also yearning for a companion as she embarks on the next leg of her journey through life (to the promise land of Iceland!), and feels that she has found that companion in Hye-Na.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Tango27 said:

did you get what HY was talking about when she talked about that dead child ? does that mean there was a boy living with the mom that they killed ? the creep is a psychopath.. 

Yes, that is my understanding as well.

• Like 2

[Spoilers ahead] Alright, I'm in love! There were so many things happening in this episode. I thought that grandma was shady from the beginning, but then I thought maybe she will be nice, but definitely was proved right in the end. It is so horrific to see how these low lives leech on people desperate to leave certain countries and for passports. Not that the people seeking illegal passports are not wrong, but the fact that these people leech money off of them like what happened with Soo jin, often times not even giving a passport or anything. I'm so glad that soo jin was warned off in enough time to escape that shady grandma. And I seriously want to get more glimpse in Soo jin's childhood, I was intrigued from what little we saw. So far, I'm loving the pace and tone and how they are introducing enough new material and arcs to keep me interested. Kudos to the actors, writers, and the director. Everything is coming together beautifully. I hope they keep up this pace even in the future! 

• Like 4

so we know that SJ was adopted >>> but was she adopted by the actress or the woman we saw trying to help her ?

kudos to the PD , flawless directing so far ... like I am watching a movie ... and the cinematography is something else 

• Like 4

So i'm the only one very much disappointed by this 1st episode?

I had hope that the writer and the PD would veer more radically from the original version, to offer their own vision of motherhood and social treatement/representation of child abuse, but with a plot that literally copies and past the script of Yuji Sakamoto, we're far from that. 

The consequence is that the drama doesn't stand on its own feet and that i can't avoid to compare it to the original: a stupid move really from the production because the original is a masterpiece and can't be surpassed.

What i liked:

the acting from an overall point of view but i'm not happy with  the "improvements" brought to the main character. 

The cinematography  is beautiful but so cold. 

What i didn't like:

the original japanese drama had a very slow pace that the PD was careful to render visually to integrate it to the plot. It was showed in little details: the long afternoons Nao passed watching birds, and for which the passing of time were suggested by the subtle change of light. I didn't see in this version the same attention to this kind of details that inform us about the characters and give them life/make them real without using words or any form of language. 

Also those moments were special: a respite to revitalize,  they showed how Nao was transformed in her solitude. It translated in her expressions, and the japanese PD was very attentive to capture it.   

I didn't get the same feeling with Soo Jin, the korean  PD focused on her posture, her top  material, basically on making her look good  but her connection almost spiritual with birds and nature was somehow lost in the translation. 

In the same vein, in the japanese version, though the timeline must have been the same, the connection between Nao and Tsugumi was built by little touches, as if they were taming each other. It seemed like it took time to lead them to the point that they start to be a family together. It was a crescendo until the climax on the beach where something broke inside Nao and she decided to take the little girl under her wing.

I felt that for Soo Jin and Hye Na, it was too rushed: i wasn't convinced by the strength of their connection which should go beyond than a teacher refusing to let a student be abused. I felt that they never really passed this level in their relationship and that's why Soo Jin's decision to leave with the child doesn't make much sense. It wasn't earned narratively: so i didn't cheer for Soo Jin to do it like i did for Nao. 

In term of personality, Nao and Soo Jin are very different but for once,  that's a change i don't applaud.

What i really liked about Nao (and she was my favourite character on the japanese drama) was how her intelligence or her social status didn't come off as something she would be proud of. She never mentioned the wealth of her family and it never was something important until it was revealed very late in the drama how she felt about the powerful image of her mother who was a successfull CEO.

Also she wasn't a "super" woman like her korean version.

Everything about Soo Jin leaves a feeling of perfection: her cool attitude,  tasteful wardrobe, strong confidence, and her research of efficiency in everything that she does which gave a strong air of competency. Her detachment leaves an impression of coldness as if she doesn't have time to lose on the subject of feelings. Her solitude therefore seems unnatural since she isn't socially awkward and the writer was already hinting at a romance with her coworker (his feelings were clearly one sided).

Nao wasn't like that: she was brilliant in a very subdued way, and her appearance not at all the one of a woman who is impeccable in all her actions (in the 1st episode she was losing her hair and had to hide it under a wolly hat), she prefered to be and eat alone, and her desire of solitude was conform to her true self as a person who was living more in her inner world and a woman who wasn't looking at all for romance, she had an aura of sensitivity and softness mixed with sadness which made the character really relatable for me.   

I found more effective and less melo  the depiction of  abuse in the japanese drama: the house so ordinary from the outside, while so dark inside like something hiding in plain sight; the scenes where Tsugumi was forced to put make up in my memory was distinct to the one where she was abandoned in the garbage bag, which made the shock of the later one bigger; also her relationship with her mother in my memory was more ambiguous.   

One last point:  it seems to me than Nao's relationship with her mother and her sisters had more place than Soo Jin's bond with her family, which i found disappointing because it felt less like a drama about women.   

Overall, it seems a more glossy, pretty version of the  japanese version but a one which is lacking the soul, poetry and depth of the original.    

• Like 1

Just finished first two episodes and feeling like I desperately need a dose of happy. That was so, so heavy. Loved everything so far, the writing, the gorgeous cinematography (read that it’s the same director as OTWTTA which was visually stunning), the subtlety and finesse in which they deal with something so repulsive, and yes, I’m worried for the child actress too! Good god.

I need to go hug my kids tighter after this.

BTW, S Korea seems to have pretty crappy child protection laws. The police can’t step in and parents views matter more than teachers? I understand in the UK social services have much stronger authority to intervene. Anyone more in the know?

• Like 4

@justamom.. I was worried for Hye Na and wasn’t it amazing that Soo Jin understood where HN was coming from. 

An amazing scene was when SJ finally saw HN’s Mom bf and then we get a flashback from her past. It wasn’t detailed but the intensity of each scene made an impact. I am kinda glad k tv doesn’t show aren’t to detailed in violent scenes. I couldn’t watch a scene like that without flipping out myself.

@Tango27  I too am wondering if the actress adopted her but I am thinking in leaning towards  birth Mom. I am vining that life was difficult for Mom and the abuse started. Then she sent her to orphanage and then got her back once she had more a stable environment to raise her. 

• Like 3

Hi  everyone ! :)

I'm on board for this drama, it drew my intention when I knew LBY would star in.  I haven't watched the original version.  Maybe I should watch the original one, later when the korean would be over. I was blown away by the cinematography and I felt I was watching a movie sometimes. Most of korean dramas don't have high quality and korean directors don't put  too much effort into the cinematography. 

Tvn  has posted the still cuts on their FB account : 

27164382_218310142073852_876275484118108

27164866_218310148740518_983691908495290

26962446_218271208744412_818579030953445

Spoiler

27021417_217685762136290_405801030357053

27355579_218311722073694_902553413318022

27173303_218311638740369_660502936407815

27164242_218310065407193_825155536573487

27503942_218310062073860_539060194013717

27023867_218311708740362_698000339001601

source

• Like 4

Hi, chingus! :D

I'm not familiar with the Japanese drama. But I can say I enjoyed the first two episodes very much. I love how it's filmed and I adore the music. I think Lee Bo Young is doing a good job and so does Heo Yool.

It was heartwrenching to watch and I'd say people who didn't feel at least sad and hurt by what has been shown on screen have no heart at all. I think the topic is extremely important and needs to be addressed. It's also a topic important for everyone around the world and not just for South Korea. So it should be watched by anyone and everyone.

The first episode and the 2nd episode felt like a movie quality-wise. The pacing was good but I'm curious as to how the plot will unfold over the course of 16 episodes. I didn't expect to kidnapping to happen right away but also appreciate the drama doesn't prolong Hye-na's ordeal or even proceed to what has been implied what could actually happen with the psychotic "uncle". So I think it's good to see the drama doesn't feel the need to show us Hye-na's torment any further to say "she needs to leave this terrible house called home".

But I'm also looking forward to see the conflict for both, Hye-na and Soo-jin. And of course the mother/daughter relationships to be explained even more during the next episodes.

Overall I think this feels like a drama that actually matters and is important. I hope it will continuely raise the question about what is right and what is wrong to even underline the importance of this drama. :) And of course to make a statement about abuse.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Berou said:

Most of korean dramas don't have high quality and korean directors don't put  too much effort into the cinematography. 

It's not true for cable shows especially Tvn dramas  Signal, Secret Forest  and more, are on the same level than many indie films produced recently. And Tvn, Ocn and Jtbc have also the best writers, which bring their productions to very high level of quality overall.

• Like 2

Truly heartbreaking to see Hyena go through so much at such a tender age... honestly, her mom doesn't deserve her, don't even get me started on her POS bf ugh:angry::crazy: Those two should be tossed in jail with zero chance of parole. I'd never understand how bad parents get good kids:tongue: This is just a random observation but Lee Boyoung has a rather urban, regal air to her. And for a character that's an unwilling criminal, she comes across too polished(?) It would've been more relatable had she appeared disheveled or slightly gritty like an actual mom LoL. Then again most K-Dramas are about bringing on the pretty, heck it's why I watch in the first place!:wink: Just a minor gripe #JustSaying 

Now with both being fugitives, I hope there's a happy ending for both of them... the child actress is pretty impressive I must say. Her chemistry with Boyoung is not too bad. I'm looking forward to future ep. 

• Like 4

I had a look at those cable dramas before and was not impressed by any of them , all the usual kdrama elements are present ....but over all tvn seems the only promising channel in Korea with the big three going from bad to worse

its the only hope for improving drama quality ...

1 hour ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Truly heartbreaking to see Hyena go through so much at such a tender age... honestly, her mom doesn't deserve her, don't even get me started on her POS bf ugh:angry::crazy: Those two should be tossed in jail with zero chance of parole. I'd never understand how bad parents get good kids:tongue: This is just a random observation but Lee Boyoung has a rather urban, regal air to her. And for a character that's an unwilling criminal, she comes across too polished(?) It would've been more relatable had she appeared disheveled or slightly gritty like an actual mom LoL. Then again most K-Dramas are about bringing on the pretty, heck it's why I watch in the first place!:wink: Just a minor gripe #JustSaying 

Now with both being fugitives, I hope there's a happy ending for both of them... the child actress is pretty impressive I must say. Her chemistry with Boyoung is not too bad. I'm looking forward to future ep. 

umm thats the way LBY looks and she is a mother lol

and she is only learning about motherhood 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 3

So, I went through some internet researches about child abuse in South Korea. I found some websites explaining  the ineffective  law : 

• The Korean Bar Association (KBA), referencing a 2010 study by the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family, indicated that 65.8 percent of children in South Korea have been subject to physical or mental abuse by their parents (KBA 20 May 2012). Further details on this study could not be found among the sources consulted by the Research Directorate within the time constraints of this Response.

• Sources indicate that the number of incidents of child abuse has been increasing (UN 2 Feb. 2012, para. 44; The Korea Herald 19 Nov. 2013; Yonhap News Agency 19 Nov. 2013). According to the Seoul-based Korea Herald, the number of documented cases of child abuse nearly tripled between 2001 and 2011 (6 Dec. 2012).

• Sources indicate that child abuse in South Korea often goes unreported (Korea JoongAng Daily 8 Nov. 2013; The Korea Times 4 Sept. 2012). Media sources report that this is because child abuse is often viewed as a "'family affair'" (ibid.) or is "masked as disciplinary punishment" (Korea JoongAng Daily 8 Nov. 2013). According to the Korea Herald, there is no "social consensus" in South Korea on what are acceptable and unacceptable practices in disciplining children (19 Nov. 2013). The Seoul-based Korea Times notes that "beating" children is viewed by many as a "necessary part of raising children" (3 Nov. 2013). In a letter to the Korea Herald, a professor of law at Wonkwang University said that "harsh treatment of children is commonplace" and child abuse occurs on a "daily basis" in South Korea (The Korea Herald 29 Aug. 2012).

• South Korean state authorities state that

[c]hild abuse is a crime punishable by the Criminal Act and the Child Welfare Act. The latter prohibits physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, neglect, abandonment and trade of children as well as forcing children to beg for money on the street. (South Korea 13 Aug. 2012, para. 56)

The same source states that although "excessive corporal punishment" by parents against children may constitute child abuse as per the Child Welfare Act, there is no separate regulation in South Korea to specifically address corporal punishment against children "by parents or guardians at home" (ibid., para. 61).

• Amendement : According to the Korea Herald, the National Assembly passed a bill in January 2014 raising the punishment for beating a child to death to a minimum of five years imprisonment to life imprisonment (The Korea Herald 2 Jan. 2014). The bill also included mandatory reporting of suspicions of child abuse, punishable by a fine of 5 million won (KRW) [about C$5100 (XE 25 Feb. 2014)]; as well as provisions to allow police officers and child support institutions to take emergency measures to separate child abuse victims from their abusers and take them to shelters, and for parents who habitually abuse their children to lose their parental rights (ibid.). The legislative changes were reportedly in response to "public anger" at the treatment of several child abuse cases in 2013 (ibid.). Further information about these amendments could not be found among the sources consulted by the Research Directorate within the time constraints of this Response.

In South Korea there's also a  National Child protection Agency,  the purpose of the NCPA is to prevent, protect against, and aid in the recovery of abused and neglected children and their families, through a system of cooperating organizations, and by using the mass media to raise public awareness of the social problems of child abuse and neglect" (Canada 17 Feb. 2014)

But  it seems the NCPA's impact in terms of prevention and protection is very little, because  often the children return to their parents: 

f the abuse is severe, we can gain custody of a child and protect them for 72 hours in a state facility, but this usually leads to protests from parents, and as a result most abused children have to go back home" (qtd. in Chosun Ilbo 17 Jan. 2013). The same source notes that, according to a study by a researcher at the National Assembly Research Service, over 70 percent of children abused by their parents are returned to their care, "even though they often needed therapy and medical treatment in the interim"

Some support services have been established, however,  the financial ressources remain low. 

All of this can be found here : http://www.refworld.org/docid/5372125d4.html

This article from Korea times is also useful : http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/phone/news/view.jsp?req_newsidx=195909

It explains child occurs because children are seen as parent's property  and the abusive parents justify the abuse they perpetrate as part of discipline.  And South Korea lacks facilities to  offer shelter to abused children

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

This is just a random observation but Lee Boyoung has a rather urban, regal air to her. And for a character that's an unwilling criminal, she comes across too polished(?) It would've been more relatable had she appeared disheveled or slightly gritty like an actual mom LoL.

@Latte_Anyday....  
I have gotten some clips of her other drama's. I believe this role she is supposed to be awkward and cold. A persone learning to be a mom, learning to think of someone else besides herself. 

Now here are her other drama's 

Spoiler

• Like 2

there are kinds of abuse there is much worse and there is milder...  it might be physical or psychological ... however it all leads to a broken dysfunctional person to a  certain degree...abuse by parents comes from a delusional concept that child is property... I create him then I own him , I can do as I like with it.

since I have suffered in some way as a child I can relate to SJ on some level ... that I feel very strong about protecting children even other people children , and I have this very strong mothering instinct towards unwanted babies , but at the same time not having any desire to become a birth mother   myself......

I wish to have this courage one day,, to save an unwanted baby and give it the life it deserves.

• Like 3