Premiere Watch: Mother

by girlfriday

premiere_mother.jpg

Mother

Time slot: Wednesday & Thursday
Broadcaster: tvN
Genre: Melodrama
Episode count: 16

Reasons to watch: This has well-made drama written all over it. Lee Bo-young is starring, PD Kim Chul-kyu of the sharply directed Chicago Typewriter and On the Way to the Airport (also My Beautiful Bride and Hwang Jin-yi among his older works) is at the helm, and screenwriter Jung Seo-kyung of The Handmaiden, The Truth Beneath, and Thirst is making her drama debut with this project. That sets the bar pretty high, so the only question is whether I’ll be in the right mood to watch it.

Mother is a remake of the 2010 Japanese drama of the same name, about a teacher who discovers that a young girl is being abused by her mother at home. On an impulse, she decides to kidnap the child and run away, and they form a beautiful mother-daughter bond—an unusual premise, but a fascinating one. The drama explores blood ties, found families, the problematic morality of the teacher’s choice, and mother-daughter relationships of all kinds. It certainly doesn’t sound like a breezy watch, but I expect to be moved by the human drama, and brought to tears by Lee Bo-young. And probably get my heart ripped out by the little girl. Gah, can I handle this?

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/01/premiere-watch-mother/

• Like 3

Yes! It looks like DramaFever will carry this show! I'm so happy to be able to watch this without a long wait, and with good sub-titles. Can't wait :)

• Like 4

a very good first episode , well put together and treating the topic subtly

however the ratings are bad, that was somehow expected ...

but at least it was generally positively received 

• Like 1

I am a huge fan of PD Kim Chul-kyu, his dramas are visually superb.  He's really good at pulling emotions, his characters are so often dressed in natural tone and he is a fan of natural lighting too.  Also have always loved LBY.  Will try to watch it.

Good luck to the drama.  It's in good hands.

• Like 3

and like expected also , with every remake comes criticism when compared to the original'

one of the points is something I already mentioned before the broadcast 

the age difference between the child actresses , and how it has a different impact

Body image

the original child was between 5 and 6 , and the korean child is 8 to 9

one the reasons the original show was a hit because of this cute baby who will suffer abuse and was called a genius child something, and her age and big eyes cuteness most likely helped her get more sympathy

so there were worries over the fact that the korean is older, the way the child is depcted in the korean version is actually much more subtler than the original ... the korean child sounds like she is wise for her years and has an adult capability to adapt .. and is not cute in appearance  like the audiance regretted mentioning ( ok shallow ppl its about child abuse not pretty babies ) and the child gives a good performance

so 

I am supporting the kversion choice of a much older child ... cause the relationship between the two could be more balanced and subtle ... than just choosing a cute big eyes baby to attract sympathy

• Like 5

• Wow what an intense first episode, the drama shines in its ability to make you feel uncomfortable right from the start.
  • Oh I really want to punch that guy, who can a woman date a guy like that? He is worse than trash, beating a child. And on top, how can she apologize to him for having a child? Like it's a crime.
  • The moment where Hye-Na's mother woke her up and we could see that she sleeps in a suitcase was horrible! How can she sleep in such a thing? You can suffocate in these things. It's a miracle that she hasn't died yet.
  • The moment LBY opened the garbage bag and saw a beaten up HN inside, I can't even imagine what has to go through her mind. That's so disgusting and horrible in SO MANY DIFFERENT ways, it makes me sad and angry. What if she didn't went to their home that night?
    How can a human being do such things to someone else? Poor HN.
  • It's the first ep and it's already such a messed up drama. But wow, that's what I call an emotional amazing first episode. 
  • Like 6

I just finished watching the first episode, and I'm so impressed with what a great start this series is off to. 

• What a beautiful, understated acting job by LBY! She portrayed the cold, emotionally-distant character (which I suspect is totally opposite to her personality in real life) so wonderfully. Then, as the episode progressed, she let us see cracks gradually starting to develop in the emotional barriers (that her character had previously erected around herself) as her relationship with Heo Yool's character deepened. That's great acting.
  • Speaking about Heo Yool, she is a revelation to me. Her acting is just so ... real (for lack of any better word). She made me believe that she is living this story instead of acting it. I can't believe she is a newcomer with no acting experience! Previously, I had hoped for some other, more well-known child actresses for this role, but now, I don't think that any of them could have done a better job than Heo Yool did with this role (at least from what I've seen so far).
  • Ko Sung Hee and the actor playing her boyfriend did great jobs with their characters as well (he deserves a special mention for giving a very creepy, scary performance). I hate their characters already after just one episode, which is a testament to how strong their work was.
  • The cinematography and music are what I would expect from a top tvN production, which is to say they were top-notch.

This is about as good a start as fans could have hoped for IMO (apart from the ratings, but I don't really care about that). Also, I suspect that this story line may be too dark for this to be a big ratings success in Korea, but I think it will do very well with international viewers.

• Like 7

Hi guys... I was talking about this drama with a colleague at work and she told me that there is a Turkish drama with the same storyline and the same title  ... so I came here to check and I found out that this drama is actually a remake of a Japanese one... can anyone give me the information about it... 

And I found the Turkish version ad... it was made more than one year I think ...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, zinaa said:

Hi guys... I was talking about this drama with a colleague at work and she told me that there is a Turkish drama with the same storyline and the same title  ... so I came here to check and I found out that this drama is actually a remake of a Japanese one... can anyone give me the information about it... 

And I found the Turkish version ad... it was made more than one year I think ...

you mean the Japanese one ?... its called mother ( original title ) and was released in 2010 and has 11 episodes

1 hour ago, jfritz09 said:

I just finished watching the first episode, and I'm so impressed with what a great start this series is off to. 

• What a beautiful, understated acting job by LBY! She portrayed the cold, emotionally-distant character (which I suspect is totally opposite to her personality in real life) so wonderfully. Then, as the episode progressed, she let us see cracks gradually starting to develop in the emotional barriers (that her character had previously erected around herself) as her relationship with Heo Yool's character deepened. That's great acting.
  • Speaking about Heo Yool, she is a revelation to me. Her acting is just so ... real (for lack of any better word). She made me believe that she is living this story instead of acting it. I can't believe she is a newcomer with no acting experience! Previously, I had hoped for some other, more well-known child actresses for this role, but now, I don't think that any of them could have done a better job than Heo Yool did with this role (at least from what I've seen so far).

yes I second that heartily  , its a brilliant understated subtle performance between the two 

but you need depth of insight to get that'

some are  already criticizing comparing to the original on korean media ( which is a different take and not my cup of tea )

the child has a very adult like characterization and I dig that so , they can have a more subtle relationship than just mothering an adorable baby kind of thing to win sympathy

the difference from the original that this has a more dark somber understated note

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks! :)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Tango27  Yes, I agree with your take on Heo Yool's character, and I would personally think that if a child has gone through the kind of abuse that her character had gone through and survived, she would be wise beyond her years and would probably be very similar to what Heo Yool's character is in the show.

• Like 1

tumblr_p33twhMRr51vpmpmko3_r2_400.gif

“Migratory birds fly across oceans… on journeys that are sometimes tens of thousands of kilometers long. And yet, they never lose their way. Rain or snow, day or night… they fly over chilly oceans… without any maps or landmarks to follow as reference. But they always reach their destination, no matter what. Because they have maps and directions, all in their heads.”

credits@idleminds

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tango27 said:

and like expected also , with every remake comes criticism when compared to the original'

one of the points is something I already mentioned before the broadcast 

the age difference between the child actresses , and how it has a different impact

the original child was between 5 and 6 , and the korean child is 8 to 9

one the reasons the original show was a hit because of this cute baby who will suffer abuse and was called a genius child something, and her age and big eyes cuteness most likely helped her get more sympathy

so there were worries over the fact that the korean is older, the way the child is depcted in the korean version is actually much more subtler than the original ... the korean child sounds like she is wise for her years and has an adult capability to adapt .. and is not cute in appearance  like the audiance regretted mentioning ( ok shallow ppl its about child abuse not pretty babies ) and the child gives a good performance

so 

I am supporting the kversion choice of a much older child ... cause the relationship between the two could be more balanced and subtle ... than just choosing a cute big eyes baby to attract sympathy

I have watched the original japanese version, and that was one of the reason I was so excited to watch this drama. Though as for the children, I was also skeptical about Hye-na's acting in comparison to the japanese version. Not because the child would be older or younger, mostly because the girl in japanese version, Mana Ashida was REALLY good. She was called a genius child actress because her acting was to that caliber, she could brilliantly showcase emotions even at that age, and say dialogues so naturally. Her acting was definitely one of the focal points of the drama, so no, it wasn't just her age that made her get more sympathy, it was her acting at that young age. Though having said all that, I definitely was not disappointed with Hye-na (heo yool)'s acting. I think she did a great job in her emotional scenes and her acting was natural. Lee bo young obviously displayed superior acting chops, but Hye-na definitely added additional meaning to the narrative through her acting. And so far, I have not seen any complaints about her acting, though there might be comparisons here and there, I feel most viewers are enjoying this version as a whole so it should be fine. Personally speaking, I really liked the first episode, I like that they did not stray away from the original japanese material while still adjusting the drama to the korean circumstances and sensibilities. I'm definitely looking forward to more. 

Btw, much of dialogues of Hye-na are very similar to the japanese version for the 1st episode, so both version definitely showcase the child as wise after going through such abuse. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@bebebisous33 @philosophie @sava2sava @jongski @kysy @maddymappo @purplebass @zinaa @auroredawn @mimisl123 @lu09 

Please join me in watching this drama. I watched both episode 1 & 2 and now I am hooked.

14 hours ago, Nynda said:
  • Wow what an intense first episode, the drama shines in its ability to make you feel uncomfortable right from the start.
  • Oh I really want to punch that guy, who can a woman date a guy like that? He is worse than trash, beating a child. And on top, how can she apologize to him for having a child? Like it's a crime.
  • The moment where Hye-Na's mother woke her up and we could see that she sleeps in a suitcase was horrible! How can she sleep in such a thing? You can suffocate in these things. It's a miracle that she hasn't died yet.
  • The moment LBY opened the garbage bag and saw a beaten up HN inside, I can't even imagine what has to go through her mind. That's so disgusting and horrible in SO MANY DIFFERENT ways, it makes me sad and angry. What if she didn't went to their home that night?
    How can a human being do such things to someone else? Poor HN.
  • It's the first ep and it's already such a messed up drama. But wow, that's what I call an emotional amazing first episode. 

@Nynda  I felt the same while watching episode 1. Sadly there are some woman who act like this woman. They think they are in competition with their children. The sex of the child doesn’t matter but it is far worse when it’s a girl. This woman finds her daughter in a plastic garbage bag closed playing hide and go seek. All she says it isn’t funny. How can she think it is ok for her child to sleep in a suitcase. SMh SMH

I am wondering about Soo- Jin’s past. Her name is Nam Soo-Jin.  Why did she run away? Is the woman who is looking for her her birth mother or adopted mother?

Yi-Jin seems to not have any love for her sister. Secrets are being kept from her? There is another sister Hyun-Jin. Hyun-Jin is a reporter. Their mother is a popular actress and very rich. 

• Like 7

[SPOILERS] MOTHER (PILOT)

2018012401001941700138021_20180124224501161.jpg

1.png

Naver - sports chosun: 'Mother' Lee Bo Young, decided to leave with an abused child

1. [+4329, -39] In reality they will do more? Human endometriosis...

2. [+3554, -43] How hard is it for the child that she asked the birds to take her to heaven...ㅜㅜ

3. [+2769, -49] This is so sad, that man is not even a human

4. [+2213, -50] The last scene...I was touched

5. [+1956, -52] Good rating!!! Looking forward to a better future~ Fighting!

6. [+643, -9] This is was really shocking...Is it the fact of child abuse!...

7. [+605, -6] I hope the children who are involved in domestic violence are now properly recognized as social issues. I hope that this drama will bring more social attention so that all children can grow up in the care and affection of good adults.

8. [+588, -14] Honestly, the acting is so good...I got angry and emotional while watching it ㅇㅇ In reality, they would do even more than this so I hope it gets more attention so things like this won't happen again...Whether by law or by interest...

9. [+572, -9] The remake is made at the right time...I hope more victims can be protected

10. [+489, -11] It's really fun but so scary..daebak

Credit: netizendrama

Edited by dothininhtrang
  • Like 4

Mother: Episode 1

by LollyPip

Mother01-00493.jpg

The premiere episode of tvN’s Mother tackles some pretty serious issues — namely, the many forms of abuse that one child is forced to endure. It also asks some ethical questions such as whether it’s okay to break the law when the law can’t (or won’t) protect an innocent child. Our heroine, Soo-jin, faces a difficult dilemma as she’s presented with a choice that has no easy solutions. This premiere can be upsetting to watch, but I believe that it raises some important questions, and I’m looking forward to seeing how they’re answered.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/01/mother-episode-1/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1