Quantcast
tompark

[Drama 2018] Mother, 마더

[Orion's Daily Ramblings] Emotionally Charged Posters and Stills for "Mother - Drama"

photo927717.jpg

The parent-child relationship is perhaps the most crucial one in mapping one's life further into adulthood and tvN's "Mother - Drama" is diving into some complicated mother and daughter bonds. The series has released stills of the two heroines smiling while locked in a hug, and remembering the context of this relationship truly stings during such moments.

The drama has also released simple, yet effective posters portraying its central mothers and daughters. In the main one with the two heroines, Soo-jin (Lee Bo-young) hugs Hye-na (Heo Yool-I), but her pensive look is a reminder of her choice and its gravity. The text repeats what we have heard in the teasers, "Can you call teacher (me) mom?"

The group poster featuring Hye-na's biological mother, Ja-yeong (Ko Sung-hee) and Soo-jin's own mother, Yeong-sin (Lee Hye-young-I) is less tender and you could cut the tension it creates with a knife. I love all the little details revealing the characters' potential thoughts and relationships here. You don't need much to say a lot and this poster speaks volumes.

Soo-jin and Hye-na hugging

Soo-jin is grabbing, rather than holding Hye-na. The text beside her reads "I never intended to become a mother". As much as she cares about the little girl, she is still a kidnapper, someone under great pressure, and constantly alert. Hye-na's look of anger mixed with anticipation as she looks to her neglecting mother is heartbreaking. Ja-yeong looks defiant and distant while on the other end, Yeong-sin reaches out to her own daughter.

The individual posters have their own lines as well. Soo-jin is once again speaking to Hye-na. "You're now abandoning your mother. You can do it, right?" Yeong-sin's role as a single mother is once again brought to the forefront through the words "Without a husband, I raised my children well". Lastly, Ja-yeong addresses Hye-na as well. "Hye-na, mom is happy. You're good, too, right?"

The heroine's own role as a daughter and her relationship with her mother is one I did not get to when watching the original Japanese drama, so I'm curious to see what Yeong-sin will be like. I'm curious about all of these characters and about the way the drama will handle the moral implications of its heroine's decision. "Mother - Drama" will shake up our emotions starting January 24th.

Spoiler

Main poster

Main Poster - Soo-jin and Hye-naCharacter Poster - Soo-jin

Character Poster - Ja-yeongCharacter Poster - Yeong-sin

Written by: Orion from 'Orion's Ramblings'

https://www.hancinema.net/orion-s-daily-ramblings-emotionally-charged-posters-and-stills-for-mother--drama-114011.html?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 03.01.2018 at 9:22 AM, jongski said:

@larus and others... is this preproduced?

I think the filming started in November so they filmed a lot of episodes. Maybe all the episodes will be ready when the drama starts broadcast.

• Thanks 2

Tight embraces and secret flights for tvN’s Mother

by javabeans

mother_1.jpg

The protectiveness is palpable in these character posters for tvN’s upcoming drama Mother, in which a teacher discovers that one of her students is being abused at home and decides to kidnap her. Lee Bo-young (Whisper) plays that teacher, who cradles her student (Heo Yool) to herself in the promos.

In the top poster, her character asks, “Can you call your teacher ‘Mother’?” while below in the wider group image, the copy tells us, “I absolutely tried not to become a mother.” That’s because the teacher character starts out rather cold, and it’s through her efforts to save the eight-year-old Hye-na that she develops a mother-daughter bond that melts her heart. In the other poster below featuring Lee Bo-young, the copy reads, “You are now throwing away your mother, can you do that?”

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/01/tight-embraces-and-secret-flights-for-tvns-mother/

• Like 3

@titania1000 That's interesting, because I heard that several other A-list actresses were considered for this role before it went to LBY.

In any case, I'm just hoping for a good drama. I have to admit that I didn't see the original J-drama, so I don't have any point of reference to compare this upcoming series to. However, I plan to avoid seeing the original before seeing this one, since I feel that doing so allows me to better judge the K-drama on its own merits. If the drama can move me emotionally, and make me care about its characters and what they have to go through, then I will feel that it is already successful, even if it does add its own spin to the original story.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jfritz09 said:

That's interesting, because I heard that several other A-list actresses were considered for this role before it went to LBY.

In any case, I'm just hoping for a good drama. I have to admit that I didn't see the original J-drama, so I don't have any point of reference to compare this upcoming series to. However, I plan to avoid seeing the original before seeing this one, since I feel that doing so allows me to better judge the K-drama on its own merits. If the drama can move me emotionally, and make me care about its characters and what they have to go through, then I will feel that it is already successful, even if it does add its own spin to the original story.

From what I remember the role was offered to Lee Bo young from the beginning but I am sure they had a long list in case she would not be confirmed to star in this drama. When she got the offer she had another role in works.

I watched the original but I am sure the Korean version will be good as well. If you did not watch the original version yet, it is better that you decided to watch the new version.  The Japanese drama had 11 episodes. How many episodes will have the Korean one? 12 or 16?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@jfritz09 @larus  i think the question to watch or not the original version first is really hard to answer with a general reply. It depends on  the viewer: does he/she  like to discover different versions of the same story (books, films, anime) and to compare them? 

Personally, once i have found a version that i really love i tend to stick to it, so i shouldn't be here.

Especially in this case since i think that it's impossible to beat Yuji Sakamoto's writing, even more now that i have finished his last drama Quartet (2017): he really has a unique take on female characters and fully explore their potential and relationship, making them as complex as he can. 

But if Mother is the best drama ever written for me, it's also for its subject: i'm very much tempted to relieve this story of failed maternity and can't help to  wonder what if the end was different? 

I think i will suffer from my knowledge and expectations if the drama is not solid enough for me  to enjoy it for its own merits but i will never not recommend to watch the original: it would be criminal to hide this masterpiece.

@larus it's a good question. I searched but found nothing in the articles maybe on tvn official page?           

• Like 2

사진제공=tvN '마더'

Nippon%20TV-Mother-2017-FL.JPG

Related image

if I am not wrong , the korean child looks older than the Japanese and the Turkish versions .... maybe because it includes abuse , they chose an older child ....just a thought.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tango27 said:

if I am not wrong , the korean child looks older than the Japanese and the Turkish versions .... maybe because it includes abuse , they chose an older child ....just a thought.

I think they chose a girl who can act better the role. I guess that they held auditions for the child actor and she was their choice. Being a little older or younger doesn`t matter much. JMO. :)

• Like 1

Image may contain: 3 people, text

[UPCOMING DRAMA]

Title: Mother / 마더
Network: tvN
Release date: January 24, 2018

Starring: 
Lee Bo-Young
Heo-Yoo
Lee Hye-Young
Ko Sung-Hee

NOTE: It is a remake of the award-winning 2010 Japanese TV series of the same title.

teaser clip: https://youtu.be/48J7eoiWtwo

Synopsis © to: AsianWiki

https://www.facebook.com/KoreanDramaOverdose/photos/a.733646190167360.1073741831.715732635292049/733645036834142/?type=3&theater

• Thanks 1

the following show will start on the 21rst of march , which means if I am not wrong that it will be the usual 16 ep 

do they have material to fill in , we will see.

• Thanks 1

I love the vibe that the trailers are giving off. Also, the cinematography and music seem to be top-notch, as expected for a tvN production.

Does anyone know if this will be shown on Viki or DramaFever?

Otherwise, where can an international viewer watch this?

• Like 2

Sounds like the kind or story that could attract Netflix for international viewers, which means no possibility to watch live at least for legal options but better subs ...

More pics! 

• Like 1

@titania1000  Thanks, I’ll check out Netflix. Hopefully they will have it.

I have been relying on mostly Viki and DramaFever to get my fix of Korean dramas, but lately those 2 sites have missed out on quite a few new dramas.

I can’t miss out on Mother, no matter what :) 

• Like 1

@jongski @jfritz09 There's no confirmation that Netflix would picked up the drama: i was just musing on this option.

But its possible for Netflix to buy the rights of a specific title if the suscribers ask for it. I asked for few titles when i was a client of Netflix and it worked. 

personally I dont see this as an international hit , its a remake and not the usual stuff for kdrama fans  , I am curious about the korean reaction to a drama with a female cast ...and to the topic since korean audience and the Japanese ones are different , the Japanese drama tend to be more realistic than just  entertainment .