Quantcast
tompark

[Drama 2018] Mother, 마더

Lee Bo Young Confirms Appearance In Upcoming tvN Drama

Lee-Bo-Young1.jpg

Actress Lee Bo Young has selected her next project!

On July 27, a source from her agency Fly Up Entertainment revealed, “Lee Bo Young is confirmed to star in ‘Mother.’ The broadcast schedule is undecided, and we are aware that it is currently in preparation.”

“Mother” is a remake of the 2010 Japanese drama of the same name. It tells the story of a woman who kidnaps a girl suffering from abuse and decides to become her mother. Lee Bo Young will take on the role of the main character, which was played by Yasuko Matsuyuki in the original.

tvN’s “Mother” will be directed by Kim Chul Gyu, who previously worked on dramas such as Hwang Jin Yi, On the Way to the Airport, and Chicago Typewriter.

Source (1) (2)

https://www.soompi.com/2017/07/26/lee-bo-young-confirms-appearance-upcoming-tvn-drama/

She has confirmed months ago. I think they wanted to reasure that she is still committed with this show.

• Like 5

I'm a bit disappointed with the news. I thought they are casting child lead role but they just add a director after one month. Since Chicago Typewriter was filming rushed, I don't want this drama was filming rushed too.

I know this is Lee Bo Young's dram but for the role of the kidnapped child, it's important and  I want Heo Jung Eun. Have you guys seen Oh My Geumbi? (I cried every ep)  She's  the best child actress I've seen to date. Should have won best actress. Not just CHILD actress but best actress! That's the consensus of esp intl viewers. Brilliant acting! I swear. she'd put to shame others who are well known or those idols. (You will say the same thing once you've seen the drama) and you'd want for her to win Daesang. That's how excellent she showed her acting.

But I also don't mind Shin Rin-Ah (Defendant, Marriage Contract) or Kal So Won ( Doctors,GT).

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/889023977934520321/thMtoVlY?format=jpg&name=600x314

• Like 4

On 7/27/2017 at 10:20 AM, quockhanh45 said:

I'm a bit disappointed with the news. I thought they are casting child lead role but they just add a director after one month. Since Chicago Typewriter was filming rushed, I don't want this drama was filming rushed too.

They need the director more then actors right now. I am sure the casting continues. We`ll find out more informations soon. Until January they have time to prepare for the filming.

55 minutes ago, jongski said:

I know this is Lee Bo Young's dram but for the role of the kidnapped child, it's important and  I want Heo Jung Eun.

I read that everyone wants her to be cast and I don`t see why not. She doesn`t have a filming right now and she is on wave. After being on the spotlight last year, I think the production will give her a call. This drama has an important role for the child actor and it is a good oportunity for any young actors. But I trust the casting. They will find a good actress.

• Like 6

Thanks to the OP for this thread! 

So it won't air this year?.I'm little disappointed since it might be the only drama that i'm waiting for impatiently.

It will never be as good as the original version, it's impossible to beat it. But the story is so strong that i'm curious to see what the  korean culture can add to it. 

It's really important for the production to secure a strong actor for the children and a  strong director: those two elements really made the quality of the j-drama. 

I've never seen Lee Bo Young in anything: i hope she will live up to the expectations which are very high considering the quality of the original version.    

• Like 3

Lee Bo Young, Lee Hye Young, And More Attend First Script Reading For New tvN Drama “Mother” 

mother3.jpg

tvN’s upcoming drama “Mother” has officially marked the beginning of its production with pictures of its first script reading.

“Mother” is a remake of the 2010 Japanese drama of the same name. It tells the story of a woman who decides to become a mother for a girl suffering from abuse. The drama has been gaining attention due to its cast members including Lee Bo Young and Lee Hye Young.

“Mother” will be directed by Kim Chul Gyu, who previously worked on dramas such as “Hwang Jin Yi,” “On the Way to the Airport,” and “Chicago Typewriter.” Jung Seo Kyung, who is known for writing the movie “The Handmaiden,” is in charge of the script.

The first script reading for “Mother” was held on November 1. Lee Bo Young, Heo Yool, Lee Hye Young, Go Sung HeeLee Jae Yoon, as well as the director and the writer were present. About four hours flew by as the cast focused on reading their lines.

Lee Bo Young plays the role of Soo Jin, a temporary teacher at an elementary school who attempts to become a mother for Hye Na. She embraced the concept of maternal love in her acting, shifting the tone of her voice according to the scene. “I had to choose this drama because I’m a ‘mother’,” Lee Bo Young said.

Casting Hye Na, the abused child who is more mature than she needs to be, reportedly required the deepest contemplation. In the end, Heo Yool was chosen for the part. During the script reading, the child actress read out her lines in a calm, soft voice that made everyone agree that she was the best choice for the role of Hye Na.

Lee Hye Young played the part of a beautiful and charismatic actress Young Shin, a woman in her 60s who had raised three daughters by herself. Soo Jin (played by Lee Bo Young) is one of her daughters.

Mother1.jpg

Go Sung Hee and Lee Jae Yoon also showcased great acting skills as they read their lines. Even though it was her first time playing the role of a mother, Sung Hee perfectly embodied Hye Na’s biological mother Ja Young with her hysterical voice and facial expressions. Ja Young is a selfish character who puts the quality of her life over her daughter’s. Lee Jae Yoon plays the role of doctor Jin Hong and will function as a sort of benefactor for Soo Jin and Hye Na.

After the script reading was over, producing director Kim Chul Gyu said, “I think it’ll be hard filming in the cold winter, but I hope ‘Mother’ will provide heartwarming comfort.” He added that the drama will tell a touching story without any complicated techniques.

The production staff of “Mother” shared, “The scene of the script reading was a perfect combination of the cast’s passion and acting skills, director Kim Chul Gyu’s trendy directing, and writer Jung Seo Kyung’s emotional scripts.”

“Mother” is set to premiere in January.

Source (1)

• Like 4

@sin hoonsim Thanks. Finally an update! The first thing that I check.. who was going to play the abused kidnapped child.cos that's a central character in this drama.  The one that I like didn't get the  part ( but it's ok HGE is doing. Mr. Sunshine)  Thanks for the update! really happy they have script reading. But January?  just several weeks from mow 2018.

• Like 2

A Cold And Tense Teacher In New Stills For Upcoming Drama “Mother” 

Lee-Bo-Young.jpg

Lee Bo Young has transformed into a cold teacher in new stills for tvN’s upcoming Wednesday-Thursday drama “Mother.”

“Mother” is set to begin airing in January and is a heart-breaking story of love and family between a teacher and an eight-year-old girl who was abandoned by her mother. Based on the well-made Japanese drama of the same name that won four awards at the Tokyo Drama Awards, “Mother” is set to start 2018 on a high for tvN.

Lee Bo Young will be playing Soo Jin, a researcher in ornithology in her thirties who decides to become a mother for a child who carries a lot of pain inside. Soo Jin ends up working as a temporary science teacher at an elementary school and meets Hye Na (played by Heo Yool), who ends up burrowing her way into Soo Jin’s heart.

The stills show Lee Bo Young focusing on her class material with a hardened gaze in her eyes. The cold aura that she gives off with her neat outfit and crossed arms is different from the image many people have of warm and caring elementary school teachers. Lee Bo Young’s character still feels awkward around children and the lack of expression on her face reflects the tension in the classroom. It will be interesting to learn how she went from being in a research lab to teaching children at a school.

Lee-Bo-Young-2.jpg

Though Lee Bo Young maintained her cold demeanor when cameras were rolling, as soon as each scene was over, she’d burst into laughter with the kids sitting around her. The production staff stated, “Lee Bo Young’s character seems like a cold woman on the outside, but the warmth she’s been holding in her heart begins to surface when she starts connecting with Hye Na. Lee Bo Young has been perfectly portraying Soo Jin, right down to the smallest of details. We hope viewers will stay tuned to watch her transformation in the drama.”

“Mother” will be the follow-up drama to “Prison Playbok” and is scheduled to begin airing in January 2018. By Soompi

• Like 3

Thanks for the article @sin hoonsim

Does anyone know when this show will premiere?

It's strange that we are so close from the broadcast and there's no info on it yet. 

I'm concerned by the fact it's not preproduced: it will fit better this kind of story to not end in a rush,  with  the last episodes being filmed the day of the broadcast and with the editing being done few minutes just before the episode aired.   

Also the child actress is a newcomer: i looked up for her name and it's apparently her first role?! 

She must have impressed very much the casting director. Though i'm not worried Tvn has never made a casting error before in their show so far (the ones i have watched at least).  

• Like 1

Thanks @0ly40!

Those little scenes are very much a reminiscence of the j-drama: same beautifully scenery and elegant cinematography/photography in the same context.

I loved the cold but relaxing light and colors.  

And of course the birds were here too!

I can't wait to see more of the actors... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another teaser: i'm little worried that it seems to be all about Lee Bo Young (we barely see the child's face)..  

I know she's the star of the drama but the child is not here to valorize her.  :unsure:

• Like 3

I love the teasers that have been released so far. I think they did an admirable job in wetting the viewers' appetite and making us want to see more of the drama!

The decision to have the child turn away from the camera in the second teaser, I believe, is to recreate the wonderful image from the poster of the original J-drama, with the teacher facing forward while the child has her back turned. I'm sure the child's role will be given the prominence it deserves in the K-drama as well. Apparently, the team went through several hundreds of auditions before picking this particular child actress, so I think she will be given a large, crucial role.

As for LBY, I think she is a very beautiful and talented actress, and somehow still underrated in Korea. She did an awesome job in portraying a desperate mother trying to prevent the murder of her child in God's Gift: 14 Days, and it is almost criminal that she didn't get an award of any kind for her fantastic work in playing a role that is both emotionally and physically draining. I'm expecting similarly brilliant work from her in the upcoming drama, and can't wait to watch it :)

• Like 4

@jfritz09 I was a little bit worried by the star power of Lee Bo Young because someone told me that the decision to make this adaptation was based on her casting essentially and the producers didn't even check for another actress. So i fear a shift in the drama focus since i don't expect the same exact story as the original version.

New still cuts!

.DSafi7ZUEAAZ9mN.jpg

Source: K-drama News!       

• Like 2

Ahh.. there's the kidnapped child. Thanks for the poster updates.  I've been waiting for this since last year. 

I hope this kdrama version will be good. I read  writer is the one who did Handmaiden. I wasn't feeling the other dorama version tvN made for The Liar and his Lover. However the k drama version  of Solomons Perjury ( from JTBC) was very well made.

@larus and others... is this preproduced?

• Like 1