rocs25

[Current Taiwanese Drama 2016] Behind Your Smile 浮士德的微笑

2,425 posts in this topic

Posted

On March 23, 2017 at 4:32 PM, songielove said:

I also said when I first entered this thread that BYS is refreshing because of this, that its seriousness is still maintained with the light stuff woven in. That's really good directing to me.

What's telling to me is how much I really got into this drama, enough that I joined up here to talk to others about it. Every aspect of it, from plot to costumes, you name it. I still can't think of a drama I like better.

I feel that outside circumstances affected the drama, but those dings in no way take away from the quality that the whole peroduction team brought to BYS, to make it worth the wait each week.

9 people like this

Posted

As someone who felt compelled to join a forum for the first time ever because of BYS, I can attest to its power. As someone who was born in Taiwan and really want to support Taiwanese dramas but have not been able to maintain an interest in most even when not live watching (Marcus' other recent one included), I can certainly say that BYS is unique in my books.

I also want to echo what many of you have said about Eugenie. She did an amazing job in a challenging role. It baffles me why people think her acting is bad or LXY is stupid. 

Thank you all for making my enjoyment of the drama so much richer.  My only regret is that I didn't make the plunge into the forum earlier. 

9 people like this

Posted

I watched the last BTS…wish the last one was longer. :bawling:

I agree with Team BYS: this genre is unique in Taiwanese dramas (got me watching Taiwanese dramas again - definitely refreshing!); love the plot; the team did an amazing job (production and performance); love the editing/color; love the OST; love the opening and ending themes; etc. It got my full attention the moment I pressed play. :heart:

It’s sad how some people can’t distinguish between performance and their love for a specific OTP; this may have generated negative and bias criticisms (Eugenie’s performance and drama). Anyhow, we all know Eugenie owns her role as LXY.  

Thank you for contributing to this thread and please continue translating any video clips and news.

Behind Your Smile :heart: 

9 people like this

Posted

Haha, I had forgotten about the description of the drama. I think Viki could still do even better than what the description is now, but you're all right-- the drama has spoken for itself. I can see it had a loyal following, not just here in this thread, but on its other official platforms. For it to have all the outside circumstances surrounding it, but garner attention (from individuals who never expected it from themselves and individuals who returned to [Taiwanese] dramas because of it) and produce the insightful, in-depth discussions like it did here says a lot more about the quality of the drama. I hope the BYS team knows what a special thing they created.

Here is the Vidol link to the last BTS. Again, thank you for all the translation help you've been able to provide. I can remember the first day we had legitimate help. XD :heart:

http://www.vidol.tv/programmes/192?episode_id=17325#player_window=true

7 people like this

Posted

@ate@hennybird@songielove@IamMissBookie@beijinhos@quartz13@alex325 Well, I have just finished the last episode and after reading so many comments that it was a disappointing ending... I was afraid of watching it. Sure, it could have been better. I wished, we would have seen another kiss. But it wasn't such a bad ending because we know how the future of everybody looks like. 

Sure, the acting wasn't the best in the last episode (especially during the chasing), yet I liked how Tang's fate ends. Sure, he dies in a similar way of ZYT's father. Both were chased, one by the police and the other by the loan sharks. Both regretted something... Yet, there is a huge difference between Tang and ZYT's father. One was obsessed with money, while the other was taking care of his family. In the end, QI's fate is tragic: she ends up with nothing and nobody by her side. She lost Uncle Qing and now her father. Since she never had a friend, she is now on her own and has never learnt how to deal with people. With no money, she can't buy people's support. Since her father was so obsessed with money, we can conclude that QI's behaviour can be explained by her father's philosophy. She used money just like him and was upset that she could never be liked like LXN. Striking is that while ZYT acted like a coldhearted and greedy businessman, he has never been like that. Tang who thought that ZYT was similar to him due to his behaviour misunderstood him. He was the total opposite: he used money to punish people and make sure that they got what they deserve. It was entirely selfless... it was in the name of justice, whereas Tang was just a self-centered, greedy businessman with no conscience at all. ZYT had high standards, sure in order to make sure that his plan worked, he lied and manipulated people. However, he never did anything illegal. His ultime goal was to stop that idea of "comfort/thinking about ourselves" that LM mentioned.

As conclusion, BYS has become my favourite TW-drama I have ever watched.  

8 people like this