Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2017] Strong Woman Do Bong Soon 힘쎈여자 도봉순

[Interview 1] Park Hyung Sik “Park Bo Young is Perfect… I Really Liked Her”

2017042002174_0.jpg

’Strong Woman Do Bong Soon’’s Park Hyung Sik and Park Bo Young displayed excellent chemistry through their cute appearances and lovable charms while being termed as the ’Puppy Couple’.  

In a interview with Park Hyung Sik held on the 19th by ‘The Star’, he pointed out that the secret to the drama’s popularity was its “fresh content and laughter inducing episodes”. The drama’s recorded highest viewership of 9.668% exceeded that of decent cable TV dramas. 

Park Hyung Sik shared his inner thoughts, “I asked around as I did not know what was considered as good viewership ratings. They made a promise that if ratings exceeded 3% they would send us on a reward vacation, but I was really surprised the ratings started off with a 3.8%. On the day of the first broadcast it was the first filming session, and even the director was grinning from ear to ear by then. It was the first time for me that the ratings turned out well and the drama received lots of love, so it was really an unusual kind of feeling.” 

Park Hyung Sik and Park Bo Young boasted perfect chemistry and captured viewers’ hearts as a couple leaving a good impression, to the extent that comments such as “It would be great if they went out together (dated) in real life” were elicited. Park Hyung Sik, who successfully wrapped up his debut as a lead role through this drama, paid tribute to his senior Park Bo Young.

He said, “Park Bo Young noona is perfect. I was in awe as she was exactly like Bong Soon. As my (acting) partner really made me feel emotions, the areas in which I could express (my feelings) increased, and energy which i could give off seemed to arise.”

2017042002174_1.jpg

From Park Hyung Sik and Park Bo Young’s kiss scene by the seaside to the cherry blossoms kiss scene, their sweet love scenes added romantic colours onto the small screens (TV). On the kiss scenes towards the end of the drama, Park Hyung Sik said, “The kiss scenes weren’t for a deep and passionate melodrama so whether we could do well or not wasn’t important. We had to show the feelings of two people who loved each other well and I think that was an aspect clearly shown. Those were kiss scenes suitable for both Min Hyuk and Bong Soon.” 

In ’Strong Woman Do Bong Soon’, the leading female character Do Bong Soon was established to possess superhuman strength, as if evident from the drama’s title. The drama greatly differs from the establishment of existing drama characters where physical and financial capabilities are focused on the male characters.

Park Hyung Sik answered, “I jokingly said, this is a drama in which the female lead has to perform full-fledged hard work.” (laughs) In my previous work ‘Hwarang’, there were many action scenes and I dangled from wires but this time Park Bo Young noona had a hard time. Wire actions are fundamental and 30:1 action scenes were filmed, but while I felt extremely sorry it was a refreshing experience. I liked the unexpected charms that emerge from her petite physique.

For his first lead role in ‘Strong Woman Do Bong Soon’, he received favourable reviews on that he had established a new ‘best character’. He said, “For it to be called a best role, there are still many inadequate areas. Min Hyuk too is a character that can never exist without Do Bong Soon (Park Bo Young), and it seems he lacks charms to that extent. It was a character that was born through the help of many individuals so it felt different”, showing his modesty.

Source: http://thestar.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2017/04/20/2017042002271.html

(apologies in advance for any mistranslated words)

• Like 29

1 hour ago, lovephs said:

Sorry to contradict you regarding PHS throwing hints about his female lead coz it is not actually true he was even very blunt in saying that there is nothing after the show ended that even as his fan i feel like he was a bit rude those times. this is his first interview about 6 years that i've been stalking him that he is actually gushing over someone with praises and all..I'm not shipping them too much though coz they are still young. There is still so much in store for them

I am backing you up since I was going high and low digging his old interviews, variety appearance and show. 

Let's compare the way he talk about kissing scenes :

PHS about Kahi :

Park Hyung Sik, who has some skinship with Kahi in the musical "Bonnie and Clyde," talked about how he felt when he kissed the singer-actress who is 11 years his senior.

"There wasn't any feeling," said Park Hyung Sik on his kissing scenes with Kahi.

"Actually, on the musical stage, I think more about how to express my emotion while acting instead of just kissing," said Park Hyung Sik, implying that he cannot afford to have feelings while acting onstage. "I tried my best (to make the kiss very natural looking)," added the singer-actor.

PHS About Lim Ji Yeun :

In relation to their kiss scene, he said, "I only remember that we did it for a long time and many times.  It was to the producer's taste."
In the behind-the-scenes clip shown on 'One Night of TV Entertainment,' Hyungsik could be heard jokingly shouting at Lim Ji Yeon during the filming, "When it gets to this point, shouldn't you take your lips off?"

PHS ABout Park Bo Young :

Following this, Park Hyung Sik added in regards to the frequent kiss scenes that appeared in the later part of the drama,
saying “Skinship scenes rushed in belatedly but I really liked it personally. Because I really wanted to cherish and treat Bong Soon preciously, I was happy that kiss scenes appeared in the later episodes.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not really a shipper, just a really curious observer who can't believe that all the light that came from PHS eyes is not something real. And so far...nothing from his words in all his interviews are saying otherwise.

I love watching the way he watch her. It make me believe in love. 

• Like 29

37 minutes ago, sebastian27 said:

Thanks....  Will do that starting now.  Replay all episodes again..  And re-watch all the sweet,  bickering, heart stopping scenes again.... 

Hoping that phs will start another series..   Now who to pair him with?  Any suggestions? 

Omo now you've truly stumped me...I dont know any actress (off-hand) whom is similar to PBY - being so cute, petite (yeah there is plenty of those esp give his height) but Im not sure anyone whom is that talented. Which is the key. Many OTP's I find have such great actors or actresses yet they are paired with someone whom isnt as up to par or the pairing just doesnt look right esp age wise. *sigh* I might be picky but I couldnt watch or finish many dramas even if my fav actors/ actresses are starring in it just because of that reason. For example - Hwarang and High Society. Sorry no offence to those whom enjoyed those 2 dramas but I couldnt see the chemistry despite some abbs flashing :tongue:

My only exception is JiSung..oh how did I survive Entertainer HAHAHA! the ost's and bromance saved it for me. Thank goodness there was no repeat of that in Defendant. :D And here in SWDBS the writing was :confounded: and at times, ok correction most of the times <_<:angry:and :crazy: so Im REALLY surprised I stuck to it - its the power of PHS, PBY, Jisoo and yes even the bride killer Jang Mi Kwan whom saved it for me. I wonder if @dhakra was able to finish it. Or did you truly gave up chingue? :tongue:

Oh back to your original question...nope I cant think of any better pairing for PHS other than PBY. Gosh! even off cam they look so cute. Sadly for them, to return for another drama together might not happen. But look at JiSung and HJE - never say never. FINGERS X :wink:

C98GmfiUIAEX6bn.jpg

• Like 27

2 hours ago, Mings30 said:

Thanks for the translation! And Sorry for cutting your post.

Hehe you're welcome and no worries at all!! :)

4 hours ago, puppyjjang said:

Thank you for the trans. It feels like its still Bong Soon Day today. All the interviews and still cuts.

You're welcome!! Yes it does :D

• Like 7

1 hour ago, queeniemad said:

Really! Who are the female leads and whats himts have he dropped?

I should re-phrase : not dropping hint (sorry, when I look back, I had used the wrong/harsher word), but the way he expresses his likes for the female leads. @Amanda_HS has given an example : Lim Ji Yeon. Also in Happy Together, he mentioned that he felt left out when Nam Ji Hyun came to the studio with another male lead. 

• Like 10

57 minutes ago, Amanda_HS said:

Rather than saying he is dropping hints, I would say he is consistent in saying he fell in love with his female character. 

As I said earlier, he is a method actor and he needs to live like the character in order to express the character emotions and behaviors

He also said during post High Society interviews that during filming, he really loved Ji Yi very much. There are more crying scenes than the actual script because he felt the pain of loving Ji Yi. Not all articles have been translated but anyone who is interested can search naver, his answers aren't that different. He also said he felt jealous seeing NJH with SKJ. 

Just like how Kim Woo Bin said he is totally Myungsoo, Park Bo Young also said he is Ahn Min Hyuk. He just stays in character.

I am sure PHS admires PBY. But I think it is still too early to speculate that he has any real romantic feelings for her.   

But with Lim Ji Yeon he clearly draw the line 

He said in his interviews :

He continued, “When I was in character as Yoo Chang Soo, I tried not to get too absorbed in the character’s feelings. I tried not to get my real feelings confused with Yoo Chang Soo’s feelings.”
The actor went on speaking of Im Ji Yeon, saying, “Im Ji Yeon was so lovely in ‘High Society.’ If a character like Lee Ji Yi (Im Ji Yeon) appeared in real life, I would fall in love with her right away.”  << that means Lee Ji Yi =/ Im Ji Yeon for him.

in another interview :
Hyungsik said, "Lim Ji Yeon contacted me saying that she's glad that I was Chang Soo. I wondered if she was interested in me." 
>> to me it's implying that he doesn't have the same interest. Because if he is, he would be happy LJY contacted him and at least appreciate his acting (I suspect she was really trying to hit on him based on all her other interviews).

As for Park Bo Young :
I really loved Park Bo Young. She’s that lovable. She really was Do Bong Soon and, because Park Bo Young truly was Do Bong Soon, I loved her. I wanted to love her more but [the drama] unfortunately ended,” expressing his endless affection for his former co-star Park Bo Young.

“Ahn Min Hyuk fell in love with Do Bong Soon at first sight and I think that, because I followed and felt Ahn Min Hyuk’s emotional trajectory, the first kiss scene naturally came out so beautifully. Because I truly cared for [Park Bo Young/Do Bong Soon],” the actor explained. << once again he implied that he love the kiss scene

Park Hyung Sik expressed satisfaction about his role as Ahn Min Hyuk because he was a character that expressed all of emotions openly, which allowed actor Park Hyung Sik to experience a sense of emotional liberation through his character. He also stated that he was similar to his character in many ways, which is why he was able to pull off the role in such a natural way. Ahn Min Hyuk’s character was notable for lines that, if anyone else said, would be cheesy, to which Park Hyung Sik replied, “I think [being good at saying cheesy things] runs in my family. We’re always telling each other we love each other and things like that.”

When asked if he was the type to express himself a lot when in a relationship, Park Hyung Sik replied with a laugh, “I try to express as much as I can. There’s actually no point in me trying to lie about anything because everyone can see exactly what I’m thinking through my facial expression. It’s ridiculous for me to even try.” <<< this is why he said it like it is. no point of lying. he will get caught. And we have kwanghee who will leak everything. his mouth has no filter. 

From the fresh interview above :
He said, “Park Bo Young noona is perfect. I was in awe as she was exactly like Bong Soon. As my (acting) partner really made me feel emotions, the areas in which I could express (my feelings) increased, and energy which i could give off seemed to arise.” <<< again and again he said Do Bong Soon = Park Bo Young

Anyway...soompi is not making up the article.

This is the source : http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=009&aid=0003927894

This was trending on naver this afternoon. I hope somebody will translate the knetz comments. seems most of them are being supportive of this couple. They know whatsup :wink:

• Like 29

1 hour ago, puppyjjang said:

Lols when did he meet her unnie tho? Or did Boyoung just tell him what she said? 

We never know lol

1 hour ago, lovephs said:

I kind of love your idea... can we file a petition? Hahaha

Big YES! Someone please make a petition, I can offer 10 signatures 

20 minutes ago, fionnoula said:

<<< this is why he said it like it is. no point of lying. he will get caught. And we have kwanghe who will leak everything. his mouth has no filter. 

Anyway...soompi is not making up the articles.

Gosh, I suddenly miss kwanghee haha kwanghee we need you to reveal out this thing lol 

Ahhhh.... all these stills and interviews! So cute!!!! My fan girl heart cannot even take it.

For me, I do ship them - if they were to say they liked each other and were dating outright, I would be so happy! ...But I'm also pretty reasonable and logical and I know there's a good chance they're not together. BUT I'm so thankful to PHS for being into his character and expressing a simple, genuine love for his co-star and her character. It's exactly the words that I wanted to hear, even if it doesn't mean they're getting together. Any sort of expression of love is sweet and as a fan I'll take what I can get!

• Like 18

42 minutes ago, fionnoula said:

I am backing you up since I was going high and low digging his old interviews, variety appearance and show. 

PHS about Kahi :

Park Hyung Sik, who has some skinship with Kahi in the musical "Bonnie and Clyde," talked about how he felt when he kissed the singer-actress who is 11 years his senior.

"There wasn't any feeling," said Park Hyung Sik on his kissing scenes with Kahi.

"Actually, on the musical stage, I think more about how to express my emotion while acting instead of just kissing," said Park Hyung Sik, implying that he cannot afford to have feelings while acting onstage. "I tried my best (to make the kiss very natural looking)," added the singer-actor.

PHS About Lim Ji Yeun :

In relation to their kiss scene, he said, "I only remember that we did it for a long time and many times.  It was to the producer's taste."
In the behind-the-scenes clip shown on 'One Night of TV Entertainment,' Hyungsik could be heard jokingly shouting at Lim Ji Yeon during the filming, "When it gets to this point, shouldn't you take your lips off?"

Following this, Park Hyung Sik added in regards to the frequent kiss scenes that appeared in the later part of the drama,
saying “Skinship scenes rushed in belatedly but I really liked it personally. Because I really wanted to cherish and treat Bong Soon
preciously, I was happy that kiss scenes appeared in the later episodes.”

I am not really a shipper, just a really curious observer who can't believe that all the light that came from PHS eyes is not something real. And so far...nothing from his words in all his interviews are saying otherwise.

@fionnoula you are jjang.. yes correct, I also think his action toward PBY little different if compare to other of his pair.. I also not really a shipper, but if I see again the interaction between PHS and other of his pair and interaction of PHS and PBY looked different. For example: at drama What Happened to My Family, when the reporter interview PHS, NJH and SKJ, PHS never see to NJH, meanwhile when reporter interview PHS, PBY and JS, PHS's stare almost to PBY. He like to see to PBY when she talk.. 

• Like 12

36 minutes ago, fionnoula said:

But with Lim Ji Yeon he clearly draw the line 

He said in his interviews :

He continued, “When I was in character as Yoo Chang Soo, I tried not to get too absorbed in the character’s feelings. I tried not to get my real feelings confused with Yoo Chang Soo’s feelings.”
The actor went on speaking of Im Ji Yeon, saying, “Im Ji Yeon was so lovely in ‘High Society.’ If a character like Lee Ji Yi (Im Ji Yeon) appeared in real life, I would fall in love with her right away.”  << that means Lee Ji Yi =/ Im Ji Yeon for him.

in another interview :

Hyungsik said, "Lim Ji Yeon contacted me saying that she's glad that I was Chang Soo. I wondered if she was interested in me." 
>> to me it's implying that he doesn't have the same interest. Because if he is, he would be happy LJY contacted him and appreciate his acting.

As for Park Bo Young :

“I really loved Park Bo Young. She’s that lovable. She really was Do Bong Soon and, because Park Bo Young truly was Do Bong Soon, I loved her. I wanted to love her more but [the drama] unfortunately ended,” expressing his endless affection for his former co-star Park Bo Young.

“Ahn Min Hyuk fell in love with Do Bong Soon at first sight and I think that, because I followed and felt Ahn Min Hyuk’s emotional trajectory, the first kiss scene naturally came out so beautifully. Because I truly cared for [Park Bo Young/Do Bong Soon],” the actor explained. << once again he implied that he love the kiss scene

Park Hyung Sik expressed satisfaction about his role as Ahn Min Hyuk because he was a character that expressed all of emotions openly, which allowed actor Park Hyung Sik to experience a sense of emotional liberation through his character. He also stated that he was similar to his character in many ways, which is why he was able to pull off the role in such a natural way. Ahn Min Hyuk’s character was notable for lines that, if anyone else said, would be cheesy, to which Park Hyung Sik replied, “I think [being good at saying cheesy things] runs in my family. We’re always telling each other we love each other and things like that.”

When asked if he was the type to express himself a lot when in a relationship, Park Hyung Sik replied with a laugh, “I try to express as much as I can. There’s actually no point in me trying to lie about anything because everyone can see exactly what I’m thinking through my facial expression. It’s ridiculous for me to even try.”

Anyway...soompi is not making up the articles.

I would have thought this is a shipper's thread than a drama thread. 

I read the same articles but since I am not a shipper, I obviously cannot understand your point. 

He did say he did not want to get his feelings confused but that didn't mean he did not love Ji Yi when he was Chang Soo. He was just very clear that once he was out of the role, he knew not to confuse the feelings.  

The drama ended also means he/AMH cannot continue to love DBS which is why, he started calling PBY his noona and sunbae. He didn't even call LJY his noona after High Society. He said to him, she is just Ji Yi. So does that mean anything?  

Hyungsik's personality is definitely closer to AMH than Chang Soo but AMH loving DBS doesn't necessarily mean PHS loving PBY. 

And what's wrong with him liking a kiss scene? He even uploaded the car kiss scene photo in High Society in his instagram once. 

I never said soompi is making up the articles. But there are more articles than the one translated by soompi. 

Well let's just agree to disagree. You won't be able to convince me just like how I won't be able to convince you. 

I don't mind him dating anyone but l don't like to speculate anything. I would give him my blessing when he is ready to tell the world who is his girlfriend.  

• Like 13

11 hours ago, lavendre said:

Hey guys, just out of curiosity, did anyone  here in The forum manage to win those meet and greet passes for the upcoming 29th april Singapore event? 

Not me, but I wasn't expecting to...how about you @xscalsve@blueroses87, @s00ki and @cpy95

I got leave by the way! But if I want to go, I still have to sort out quite a bit of stuff! What about everyone else?!

• Like 6

17 hours ago, lovephs said:

Sorry to contradict you regarding PHS throwing hints about his female lead coz it is not actually true he was even very blunt in saying that there is nothing after the show ended that even as his fan i feel like he was a bit rude those times. this is his first interview about 6 years that i've been stalking him that he is actually gushing over someone with praises and all..I'm not shipping them too much though coz they are still young. There is still so much in store for them

well this is PHS first time to be the main lead I guess and thus he spent most of his time with PBY all throughout the filming period..unlike his previous projects...PHS doesn't have much experience in dating and relationships, probably why he's amazed in AMH and DBS story in SWDBS...my take on his answers in his interviews is that he, as clear as the morning sun, adores PBY and respect her...as much as I ship these two, but I don't feel that he is in love with PBY in a romantic way...it's just MY intuition..even when I see those BTS videos..PHS continues to be in character during the entire filming period to convincingly portray and bring the drama character to life...I highly commend their professionalism...they're both my most favorite actor/singer and actress in Korea though... :):D 

• Like 11

52 minutes ago, Kasmic said:

I wonder if @dhakra was able to finish it. Or did you truly gave up chingue? :tongue:

Unfortunately, I did finish it.-_-

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Amanda_HS said:

I read the same articles but since I am not a shipper, I obviously cannot understand your point. 

He did say he did not want to get his feelings confused but that didn't mean he did not love Ji Yi when he was Chang Soo. He was just very clear that once he was out of the role, he knew not to confuse the feelings.  

The drama ended also means he/AMH cannot continue to love DBS which is why, he started calling PBY his noona and sunbae. He didn't even call LJY his noona after High Society. He said to him, she is just Ji Yi. So does that mean anything?  

Hyungsik's personality is definitely closer to AMH than Chang Soo but AMH loving DBS doesn't necessarily mean PHS loving DBS. 

And what's wrong with him liking a kiss scene? He even uploaded the car kiss scene photo in High Society in his instagram once. 

I never said soompi is making up the articles. But there are more articles than the one translated by soompi. 

That's my point. I am never commenting on shipper thread because I am not a shipper. I am just a keen observer.
If I see otherwise, I'll say it outloud too, ( I don't think the shipper thread would be a good place to voice them :D).

I don't mean to offend you. If I am, I am trully sorry. I respect your opinion if you think differently but this is how I perceive all his and his leading ladies interviews so far.

As I said, I don't really ship, not with PBY, not with LJY. I just wait and watch where this will flow. The fun part for me is guessing is he/is he not ??. And for now., PHS is confirming all my thought about him :heart:.

PS. From PBY' side I don't get the same vibe. She hold hersef back.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Amanda_HS said:

Hyungsik's personality is definitely closer to AMH than Chang Soo but AMH loving DBS doesn't necessarily mean PHS loving PBY. 

Well let's just agree to disagree. You won't be able to convince me just like how I won't be able to convince you. 

I don't mind him dating anyone but l don't like to speculate anything. I would give him my blessing when he is ready to tell the world who is his girlfriend.  

Your statement is very on point... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Amanda_HS said:

Rather than saying he is dropping hints, I would say he is consistent in saying he fell in love with the female character. 

As I said earlier, he is a method actor and he needs to live like the character in order to express the character emotions and behaviors

He also said during post High Society interviews that during filming, he really loved Ji Yi very much. There are more crying scenes than the actual script because he felt the pain of loving Ji Yi. Not all articles have been translated but anyone who is interested can search naver, his answers aren't that different. He also said he felt jealous seeing NJH with SKJ. 

Just like how Kim Woo Bin said he is totally Myungsoo, Park Bo Young also said he is Ahn Min Hyuk. He just stays in character.

I am sure PHS admires PBY. But I think it is still too early to speculate that he has any real romantic feelings for her.   

I agree with this. In fact I remember when Happy Together aired where he kinda hinted that he liked NJH (or her character) I was surprised by his answer as he was an idol and a pretty young one so I was like is he even allowed to say this? Or is the agency/drama production team letting him do this because they are desperate (as the couple was very popular among audiences-hence the legendary Bike Repair Shop CF). However as I watched his interviews after HS (particularly the videos), I realised it is his habit to express his love towards the female characters. In multiple interviews he emphasized how much he loved Ji Yi, and how he really wanted a gf like her. Only later on in written interviews he started friendzoning her.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, lingx2 said:

Yes. I'm hoping that they will post video bts for this and the wedding scene :wub:

A chinese fan  who was lucky to witness the filming of the proposal scene saying that PHS was applying lot of hand creams onto his hand because of this closed up scene when he put the ring onto BS's finger lol

I watched the Hwarang BTS and all the boys were talking bad bout his hands when there's a scene close up of his hand :lol:

they say "im shocked that it was tanned" 

"i want to be romantic by my body didnt want to" lol 

I guess he was concerned bout that haha

Edited by MadraRua
Please do not quote images
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, Ahpheng said:

@Ahpheng Keep doing this! I love your comic strips about them!

Edited by MadraRua
Please do not quote images
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, fionnoula said:

PHS about Kahi :

PHS About Lim Ji Yeun :

saying “Skinship scenes rushed in belatedly but I really liked it personally. Because I really wanted to cherish and treat Bong Soon preciously, I was happy that kiss scenes appeared in the later episodes.”

Thanks for this!

• Like 4