Quantcast
Jump to content
BellyButton

Ruyi's Royal Love In The Palace 如懿传 2018 (Currently broadcasting)

Recommended Posts

Spoiler

in the review for ep 77 the emperor is getting him and consort rong/xiang picture drown together.Ruyi seems so disappointed because we all remember that in the beginning of the drama  they couldn't get their picture drawn together because she was a concubine and now the emperor is breaking all rules for a woman who doesn't like him.Ruyi always make excuses to defend him  no wonder he doesn't appreciate her that well .The emperor is always flirting with  other women but gets  super jealous when she is around other men.for example in earlier episodes that monk that came to palace held ruyi's had to protect her from falling and when the emperor to saw that ,the way he looked at them no wonder he believed it when jia guifei accused them of having an affair.

Spoiler

this is off topic but i notice something when i watched kdrama that in s korea there are alot of historical figures like the the palace,the kings tomb and so on.im just curious if korea was separated in north and south ,is it possible to see some historical figures or things in north korea too.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

The last four episodes have been tough on Ru Yi.  Zhou Xun does really well with subtly expressing her pain.  The downfall between their relationship is pretty evident now.  I know that Ru Yi doesn't have feelings for Ling Yun Che, but at the moment I just don't want her dying only having loved the emperor.  Like who even asks the woman who loves them, to beg the woman who does not love them to stay by their side, and then excepts the former to be happy for them?  I hope the emperor feels the pain she goes through, when he realises how much of a horrible person he was and it's too late.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really love this drama :wub:but I'm dreading the move towards the end:unsure: This is one time I wish I read nothing on the characters real-life history. The thought that-that evil concubine got away with everything in history, is an insane thought in itself.  I really hope they find a way to find some Justice for everyone in the Drama, as hoping for a fictional or dream ending is not possible as one of SARFTS rules is history can not be changed.:tears:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is more about the novel as the show hasn't reached this point yet, but it's a question I keep coming back to:

Spoiler

Given that this book draws on historical events and facts, but revises the telling of them, how does it portray Qianlong having 6 children with Ling Fei by the end, him promoting her to the highest rank below the Empress, naming her son his successor, and naming her as a posthumous Empress? Especially since Hailan is successful (?) in taking Ling Fei down and exposing her evil deeds?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, carmolita said:

I really love this drama :wub:but I'm dreading the move towards the end:unsure: This is one time I wish I read nothing on the characters real-life history. The thought that-that evil concubine got away with everything in history, is an insane thought in itself.  I really hope they find a way to find some Justice for everyone in the Drama, as hoping for a fictional or dream ending is not possible as one of SARFTS rules is history can not be changed.:tears:

but if we're relying on real history, Concubine Li was known as a kind woman not as a mean and cruel women. Empress Fucha was also a kind women and didn't do any of the things this drama showed. let's remember that this drama is cased on a book and we'll never really know what the truth is

Spoiler

In relation to the drama, Concubine li is not going to have a happy ending, Ruyi best friend and some of the other concubine work together and she gets punished....

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, believed said:

This is more about the novel as the show hasn't reached this point yet, but it's a question I keep coming back to:

  Hide contents

Given that this book draws on historical events and facts, but revises the telling of them, how does it portray Qianlong having 6 children with Ling Fei by the end, him promoting her to the highest rank below the Empress, naming her son his successor, and naming her as a posthumous Empress? Especially since Hailan is successful (?) in taking Ling Fei down and exposing her evil deeds?

 

Concubine Ling was given her empress title after she died so her son could have given her that posthumous title when he became king, which is the same thing Qianlong did to his biological mom (he increased her title and made her an imperial consort) after he became king. So her end can be shown after all her children were born 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, etelou1 said:

Concubine Ling was given her empress title after she died so her son could have given her that posthumous title when he became king, which is the same thing Qianlong did to his biological mom (he increased her title and made her an imperial consort) after he became king. So her end can be shown after all her children were born 

So essentially Qianlong is oblivious to everything she's done before she dies?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think sons are allowed to promote their mothers to empress. Empress is essentially the official/fully wedded wife of the emperor, so it doesn't make sense that sons can dictate their deceased father's marriage. Likely, Qianglong was the one who posthumously promoted Wei Yanwan to Empress after promoting her son to crown prince, just so his crown prince came from his lawfully wedded wife and is his "di zhi" (Qianglong seems to care about that a lot). 

 

Qianglong likely also has a soft spot for Wei Yanwan because his own mother was a servant and never got the titles/favor/life he would have wanted for her. He likely sees a younger himself reflected in Wei Yanwan's son (son of a servant and an emperor) and hence gave the titles he wanted for his mother to Wei Yanwan to compensate for his own childhood. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, believed said:

So essentially Qianlong is oblivious to everything she's done before she dies?

No, I think Hai Lan ends up exposing Wei Yan Wan for her sins after Ru Yi dies. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sophrosyne said:

 

No, I think Hai Lan ends up exposing Wei Yan Wan for her sins after Ru Yi dies. 

Oh, I meant Qianlong is oblivious to everything WYW does before WYW dies? I guess I'm unclear as to the timeline. WYW has all her kids, then Hailan exposes her, then WYW dies?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, believed said:

So essentially Qianlong is oblivious to everything she's done before she dies?

Not in the drama, after ruyi dies Hailan and some the other concubines expose her for the bad thing she did 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm in history, wasn't that Qianlong the one personally given the title or upgraded Consort Ling to be an Empress posthumously not just once but twice. 

 

First in 1795 as Empress Xiaoyi then in 1799 as Empress Xiaoyichun.

 

Her son could given her title posthumously as an Empress Dowager when he become an Emperor but it was Qianlong who made her an Empress.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2018 at 10:48 PM, outsanity said:

I don't think sons are allowed to promote their mothers to empress. Empress is essentially the official/fully wedded wife of the emperor, so it doesn't make sense that sons can dictate their deceased father's marriage. Likely, Qianglong was the one who posthumously promoted Wei Yanwan to Empress after promoting her son to crown prince, just so his crown prince came from his lawfully wedded wife and is his "di zhi" (Qianglong seems to care about that a lot). 

 

Qianglong likely also has a soft spot for Wei Yanwan because his own mother was a servant and never got the titles/favor/life he would have wanted for her. He likely sees a younger himself reflected in Wei Yanwan's son (son of a servant and an emperor) and hence gave the titles he wanted for his mother to Wei Yanwan to compensate for his own childhood. 

Are you talking about the drama?

 

So Ruyi now in ep where Wei Yanwan as an Imperial Noble Consort?

 

What is "di zhi"?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@harooxxx   嫡子(dizi) is the Son of the Empress. People in those days place more emphasis on the children of the main Wife, as opposed to concubines.

 

I am behind in the episodes, now only watching Ep. 64 (downfall of Jia Gui Fei, and her Son, the 4th Prince). I‘Ve lost the watching fervour of the earlier episodes, maybe too many episodes in this long drama. And maybe also dreading the upcoming decline of Ruyi’s power as Wei Yan Wan schemes and climbs her way up. I enjoyed Jia Gui Fei as the villain - she is a strangely compelling to watch. But Wei Yan Wan is irritating, and I really dislike the fact that her Son will eventually inherit the throne.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i decided to give this drama a go, since I keep seeing it around.

and wow, i am not disappointed. first it's so visually stunning, all the props and costumes and the main actress i like how calm and collective she could be. (still in episode 42 btw)

 

i rarely watch chinese period dramas (last one was the Princess Huai Yu) so I'm glad this one after a very long time is a good find.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2018 at 5:47 PM, harooxxx said:

Are you talking about the drama?

 

So Ruyi now in ep where Wei Yanwan as an Imperial Noble Consort?

 

What is "di zhi"?

 

Well, the drama is trying to stick to history but give it a fictional/creative twist. 

 

I'm only up to ep 74. That's when Wei Yanwan took over governing the concubines.

 

Di zi* 嫡子 I misspelled the pinyin.

 

 

On 10/6/2018 at 9:38 PM, omiki said:

@harooxxx   嫡子(dizi) is the Son of the Empress. People in those days place more emphasis on the children of the main Wife, as opposed to concubines.

 

I am behind in the episodes, now only watching Ep. 64 (downfall of Jia Gui Fei, and her Son, the 4th Prince). I‘Ve lost the watching fervour of the earlier episodes, maybe too many episodes in this long drama. And maybe also dreading the upcoming decline of Ruyi’s power as Wei Yan Wan schemes and climbs her way up. I enjoyed Jia Gui Fei as the villain - she is a strangely compelling to watch. But Wei Yan Wan is irritating, and I really dislike the fact that her Son will eventually inherit the throne.

 

I love how graceful Jia Gui Fei is and how subtle her dialogue is. Jia Gui Fei was once such a smart and careful character. It seems like she lost a lot of her intelligence and carefulness after losing the 9th prince. Her downfall was almost cringe-worthy, because I feel like she really should be smart enough to avoid most of those traps.

 

Wei Yan Wan.... I don't like her, per say, but least she keeps things interesting. It's a curious feeling. I definitely don't root for her, but, it feels like there's really no one worthy of rooting for in this show. She's really the only darn character who still has any ambition/drive and is intelligent enough to make some things happen. Ruyi is so passive/obedient/"good" that she's boring to watch. Hai lan barely gets any screen time and despite her intelligence/insights, she has no ambition. Rong Fei has no ambition. ..I can't even remember the rest of the concubine's names, lol. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just completed watchin' Story of Yanxi Palace which was as enjoyable as this one. Although interesting how they reinterpreted the versions of Ula-Nala in each drama.... 

 

However, one thing remains... Ula-Nala's devotion to the Emperor is true yet she suffered the same sad fate in both dramas.. 

 

I can't help but draw similarities between Ula-Nala with that of one of King Henry VIII's wives - Anne Boleyn. 

 

Unlike Ula-Nala, King Henry was smitten & besotted by Anne. While Anne's greatest legacy was her daughter Queen Elizabeth I, Ula-Nala died a lonely & unceremonious death... I suppose she gets the last laugh now as her story is bein' retold the most among all Emperor Qianlong's wives/harem. The same can be said of Anne Boleyn as well~

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Just completed watchin' Story of Yanxi Palace which was as enjoyable as this one. Although interesting how they reinterpreted the versions of Ula-Nala in each drama.... 

 

However, one thing remains... Ula-Nala's devotion to the Emperor is true yet she suffered the same sad fate in both dramas.. 

 

I can't help but draw similarities between Ula-Nala with that of one of King Henry VIII's wives - Anne Boleyn. 

 

Unlike Ula-Nala, King Henry was smitten & besotted by Anne. While Anne's greatest legacy was her daughter Queen Elizabeth I, Ula-Nala died a lonely & unceremonious death... I suppose she gets the last laugh now as her story is bein' retold the most among all Emperor Qianlong's wives/harem. The same can be said of Anne Boleyn as well~

 

They also reinterpreted Wei Yan Wan in each drama, with even more drastic changes, haha. The other version of her was the main character of Yanxi. 

 

Anne Boleyn also died a lonely & unceremonious death. I guess, however high you climb is always potentially however far you can fall. While Anne got her moments of glory and caused a lot of trouble, Ula-Nala really did not seem that impressive as a person. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I don't get is Jia Gui Fei was so much more intelligent than Wei Yan Wan and yet for some reason the emperor still vaguely knew what was going on.  But as he gets older he gets more muddle headed I guess, since he's like the only one that doesn't know Wei Yan Wan's schemes, it just so strange. But I guess that goes along with history.  Qianlong may have been one of the Qing's dynasty 'greatest' and longest rulers, but when he got into the older ages, he was 'spoiled with power and glory, disillusioned and complacent in his reign'.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sophrosyne said:

What I don't get is Jia Gui Fei was so much more intelligent than Wei Yan Wan and yet for some reason the emperor still vaguely knew what was going on.  But as he gets older he gets more muddle headed I guess, since he's like the only one that doesn't know Wei Yan Wan's schemes, it just so strange. But I guess that goes along with history.  Qianlong may have been one of the Qing's dynasty 'greatest' and longest rulers, but when he got into the older ages, he was 'spoiled with power and glory, disillusioned and complacent in his reign'.  

 

They're also using drugs and alcohol as one the reasons he was blind to concubine ling....she's constantly using prostitutes,drugs,and wine to get him to come to her so I guess were suppose to think that he was powerless against that but that's just ridiculous......I think they wanted to move along the plot so Jia Gui Fei lost some of her schemes and intelligence once her former maid was sent away. If I remember correctly her previous maid had medical knowledge so I guess they were stronger together 

Doe anyone know how ahead the trailers for the episodes are....the trailer on youtube that shows ep 85 is definitely the episodes Ruyi dies in but I want to know what the actual episode is  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×