Quantcast
BellyButton

Ruyi's Royal Love In The Palace 如懿传 2018 (Currently broadcasting)

On 9/9/2018 at 11:38 AM, dejun said:

Empress damaged her son's health that ultimately caused his demise and now she is damaging her health to conceive. :crazy:  She's just can't take things slowly.  Did anyone notice that Empress Dowager seems to shake up the harem by adding more concubines and providing advice to certain concubines in a way against Empress? :huh:

Empress Dowager is trying to plant her own seeds beside Qianlong. She wants a concubine that’s favoured by Emperor who listen to her command. In a way, even if she became the Empress Dowager she feels the need to protect herself by planting a spy beside the Emperor... can’t retire as long as you are alive and inside the palace. :wacko:

On 9/9/2018 at 4:06 PM, Sobayaki said:

I want to add, props to Ruyi's actress, Zhou Xun! At first I didn't think much of it besides the usual remarks about how she looks too old for her role (young Ruyi). However as of episode 28:

Hide contents

I love her acting because it displays so much emotion. The scene when she received the Emperor's declaration to banish her to the cold palace, you could see her facial expression was full of shock, confusion and hurt but all she could do was accept. When leaving for the cold palace, she put on a cheerful demeanor for her friends.

When she came back from cold palace and interacting with the Emperor, it's really evident that she had been hurt. She's very distant from the Emperor and even though she's not visibly angry at him, you can tell subtly on her face something is off between their relationship. I compared this to her earlier episodes in which she was smiling confidently and lovingly around the Emperor.

Yes! One can really feel the feeling of betrayed from that scenes. Her distant interaction with Emperor really makes a lot of sense. If she began to lovey dovey with him once she’s out from the cold palace, that will really looks weird. She’s hurt and she thinks it is unfair of the Emperor to treat her that way though she knows he do love her. 

Spoiler

When Ruyi finally knows the truth, that Emperor never gave up on her since the first day she stepped in to the cold palace (by having guards to ensure her safety), her touched emotion is really good, through her watery eyes and subtle expression, one can really feel her touched and loved feeling. I really like the scene where she went to the Emperor and look at him again with that loved eyes and smile back at him sincerely..and him to her..  so much love. It is still heart breaking knowing that in the end, he will still push Ruyi to her death.. I try not to think about that first now and enjoy their love relationship first. :sweatingbullets:

7 hours ago, margeritta said:

The shooting of this drama will begin in Hengdian around mid August.  It is reported that the shooting will last around 8 monhs.   It was rumoured that one episode was sold for 1.95 million remnibi.  

Shooting takes 265 days in total :sweatingbullets: super duper long. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just want to add: the music/ score for this drama is exceptional, in love with it. The intense scenes are heightened by the music (and of course the performances) <3

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ruyispalace1 said:

Just want to add: the music/ score for this drama is exceptional, in love with it. The intense scenes are heightened by the music (and of course the performances) <3

Oh yes.. the music is nicely composed. Not something we will sing in karaoke but something artistic to appreciate while the music accompany the scenes.:wub:

• Like 2

This episode is not shown yet. Maybe you saw the preview. Briefly,

Spoiler

Empress Dowager is trying to find out if Ru Yi was responsible for instigating Eldest Prince and other Prince, Son of Chun Fei, to vy for Crown Prince position, and they got punished by the Emperor for their actions. Ru Yi denies she had anything to do with it, but if Empress Dowager really wants to blame her, then she admits that she was responsible for not teaching Eldest Prince well when he was younger (stayed with her before she was banished to Cold Palace).

I must say that most of Ru Yi’s clothes look so dull, except for a gorgeous deep blue dress, which left an impression on me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, omiki said:

This episode is not shown yet. Maybe you saw the preview. Briefly,

Reveal hidden contents

Empress Dowager is trying to find out if Ru Yi was responsible for instigating Eldest Prince and other Prince, Son of Chun Fei, to vy for Crown Prince position, and they got punished by the Emperor for their actions. Ru Yi denies she had anything to do with it, but if Empress Dowager really wants to blame her, then she admits that she was responsible for not teaching Eldest Prince well when he was younger (stayed with her before she was banished to Cold Palace).

I must say that most of Ru Yi’s clothes look so dull, except for a gorgeous deep blue dress, which left an impression on me.

Probably so. I watch them raw from Tencent. :D  Up to ep30 only.

I read that the plain clothes were what they wear during unofficial events. 

• Like 1

@BellyButton  Have watched up to ep 37 still no scene about Ruyi drawing Empress Dowager's eyebrows. :unsure:  It will be easier if you mention which ep.  I know some clips uploaded are just previews.

@omiki I think Ruyi must have preferred plainer clothes than others.  Seldom see her wearing complicated motifs on her clothes.  Every now and then she does wear a few lovely ones.  I think those who have really have good taste in clothes are both Fuca and Jia.  I love the plain blue one you mentioned too.

• Like 3

If anyone comes across the full song that the new noble lady sang when she was introduced in episode 26 please link it.....it's so beautiful....

• Like 2

Watchin' this mostly for Zhou Xun. She also did a remarkable job in Red Sorghum. 

Not really a fan of Palace harem dramas... All the women scheming & backstabbing oy:rolleyes: I bet Wallace enjoys the attention, bein' surrounded by women LoL. 

Coincidentally Zhou Xun's husband or is it her ex? Co-star with Wallace's wife in a Taiwanese Drama together as a couple... 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dejun said:

@BellyButton  Have watched up to ep 37 still no scene about Ruyi drawing Empress Dowager's eyebrows. :unsure:  It will be easier if you mention which ep.  I know some clips uploaded are just previews.

@omiki I think Ruyi must have preferred plainer clothes than others.  Seldom see her wearing complicated motifs on her clothes.  Every now and then she does wear a few lovely ones.  I think those who have really have good taste in clothes are both Fuca and Jia.  I love the plain blue one you mentioned too.

Isn’t it Empress Fuca order to not have extravagant clothing or expenditure within the palace to reduce the money spend unnecessarily? 

I think most of the time characters that are portraying gentle and kind hearted always wore plain clothing, simple pattern and soft colour. But those portraying evil, fierce etc will always wear bright strong colours.. haha. :P in a way, most audiences will try to relate the way they dress to their personalities. 

Like Hailan, initially she is always in white or beige. When she stands up for herself, her colour become more attractive. Even the Emperor praise her for being more attractive in her dressing ;)

• Like 2

I feel so sad for Yun Che.  He felt so miserable when Yan Wan dumped him for second time but at least he now knew that he's been used by her.  It's a bit heartbreaking for me to see him being dumped.  I begin to wonder if Yan Wan (future Consort Ling) is like that in history as both dramas this year are similar in portrayal of her.

@cassiemissy  Fuca was reprimanded by Empress Dowager for being too thrifty at earlier episodes and advice her that royal court ladies must give good impression befitting to their status as example to other noble ladies in appearance.  That said I like the accessories the concubines wore especially hair ornament pieces as those are so pretty.  Even Qian Long's pearl rose hairpin gift to Ruyi was exquisite.

• Like 2

@dejun oh yes. I almost forgot about that scene. Empress Dowager didn’t like how plain the harem looks. :sweatingbullets: so in the end did Empress allow the concubines to dress prettier again? I don’t remember the continuation/outcome after that...

The accessories is very detailed. Not just their hair ornaments, the interior decors are very exquisite as well. Like the painting on wall, oh.. and those little western ‘toys’ that Qianlong collected. I like his clock. :rolleyes:

006ufsBIly1fv5t56jhamg30g10c0b2c.gif

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Watchin' this mostly for Zhou Xun. She also did a remarkable job in Red Sorghum. 

Not really a fan of Palace harem dramas... All the women scheming & backstabbing oy:rolleyes: I bet Wallace enjoys the attention, bein' surrounded by women LoL. 

Coincidentally Zhou Xun's husband or is it her ex? Co-star with Wallace's wife in a Taiwanese Drama together as a couple... 

I do not like long dramas but this drama is quality drama. The detailing is amazing. I like tha cast and think they are doing a great job. Hated the mean ones yet felt sorry for them towards the end which shows that they allowed each character to develop snd grow on us. 

Consort Gao was not only jealous of Ruyi but she tried too hard to be on Empress's good books and became her tool unknowingly.  I agree with some of you that Consort Jia is clever and manipulative.  Always instigating without the others knowing. 

What do you guys think of Aruo? Why did she refuse to spill the beans even when tortured? The dagger eyes the Emperor gave her when she refused to tell the truth gives me the shivers.

Spoiler

What sickness did Gao has? Something contagious? I see the guards wearing masks?

1 hour ago, BellyButton said:

What do you guys think of Aruo? Why did she refuse to spill the beans even when tortured? The dagger eyes the Emperor gave her when she refused to tell the truth gives me the shivers.

Her father was still under Imperial Concubine Gao's, so Ah Ruo had to say silent.  

New to this discussion, but how I see it with Ru Yi's plain clothes is that she knows she has the emperor's attention regardless of her clothing choice, but the other women are constantly vying for his attention, by making themselves appear prettier with more extravagant clothing. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

@BellyButton

I'm just a casual viewer, but honestly there's a dime a dozen of these similar harem like plot dramas. 

Janine Zhang's character seem to be quite similar to her The Empress of China role. 

It's disheartening to see the roles played by women in the palace in those times.. While it guarantees the women's families a life of luxury; the price they have to pay to keep it is not worth it. 

• Like 3

@Latte_Anyday the price they had to pay in order for their family to live respectfully and weathlity is their own life, their freedom. However, in those days, this is the worthiness of a female.

In poor family, they sell their daughters to rich family to become concubines or maid in order to get money to provide for whole family. Lucky ones might meet a good husband and live happily/comfortably, some more so lucky might even get married to an old man, sick guy, or even a rooster (dead man)..:tears: so is the life of female in those days. 

In rich family, they get to married into rich family.. even into the palace. Like these ladies that Qianlong has.. mostly got into the palace due to their father. And sadly, it’s not only for the ladies, but even the Emperor cannot simply kill/punish his concubines, not even when they did something badly... because it will affect his government. 

Spoiler

Though Qianlong know concubine Gao is behind A rou schemes, he cannot publicly punish her due to her father influence... and he force himself not to suspect his Empress is involve also... she’s the Empress and he needs to protect that image, otherwise, the royal family image will be tarnished. Empress is officially his only wife, the one he needs to respect and value so he can’t simply raise suspicion against her without 100% evidence.. so hard on the Emperor also..

It is sad how everyone in the palace has their ‘hand and legs tied’ and not able to move acccording to their own will. Not even the Emperor. As the head of the country, head of the palace.. He might be the one with the least freedom. One wrong move from him will affect in ruining the government, the country etc... he need to keep both harem and government’s power balance when in fact, both are inter-related :wacko:

@sophrosyne agree! She does not need to create attention to herself. She knows she’s in his heart already. 

@BellyButton Emperor dagger eyes gives you a shiver?  ;) His eyes are always giving out shivers :P 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Not that Zhou Xun isn't an amazing actress who is capable of pulling off this difficult role, I don't like the get-out-of-jail-free card Ruyi keeps on getting because the emperor "loves her so much" - I want to see her scheme and really get her hands dirty as opposed to staying righteous and good. In Zhen Huan, the emperor's love was layered with so many secrets, heartbreaks and falsehood. Here, it's like "luv conquers all. Gg. Until it doesn't. Lol." 

I feel like another big theme in Ruyi is "what goes around comes around." This sense that karma is always right around the next corner. The queen might've gotten away with a lot of things but karma in the form of smallpox(?) and Lady Gao's maid comes and kills that son she tried so hard to conceive. 

There's really no way to win the harem game. Even if you come out victorious once or twice, you won't be a winner for life. Not unless you become the emperor yourself, the way Wu Zetian did, I guess.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BellyButton said:

---sorry for cutting your post---

Reveal hidden contents

What sickness did Gao has? Something contagious? I see the guards wearing masks?

One of her 2 primary maids died so everyone from Gao's residence has to be removed in case it's a contagious disease.  Gao was just left with 1 primary maid to take care of her.  Just to let those who watched this with subs know that Gao's position was only moved up to Imperial Noble Consort rank upon her death.  She remains as Noble Consort rank when she was alive.

2 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@BellyButton

I'm just a casual viewer, but honestly there's a dime a dozen of these similar harem like plot dramas. 

Janine Zhang's character seem to be quite similar to her The Empress of China role. 

It's disheartening to see the roles played by women in the palace in those times.. While it guarantees the women's families a life of luxury; the price they have to pay to keep it is not worth it. 

I agreed with you on harem plots but in this drama, it's how the plot was put forth to viewers by the actresses that makes this show interesting.  About the role of women in those times, I am thankful whenever I came across story that depicted the position of women in olden times that I live in modern times.  Even if you live in the same period in Qing dynasty but in western countries, woman's role likewise is restricted though with little more freedom compared with asian countries.  You do not have the freedom as a woman like you have today.  This drama shows part of the struggles that women in that period encountered and the many things they were restricted to.

ea939460049accce877a45a251fc3588.jpg

Ep 38

Spoiler

Is Fuca's second primary maid (I forgot her name in pic above) taking her personal revenge against her master by not rescuing her when Fuca fell into the river?  She saw her master in the river but refuse to shout for assistance.

Thanks all for the explanation. 

So everyone running away from Consort Gao's residence because of smallpox?

@Cassie That was Yongzheng's advice to Hongli. He cannot do what he really want to do. :cry:  

I am not sure which is worse. Being an unloved concubine, married to.an old man, sold to be a forever servant?  Girls were not valued those days.  Good luck to those who were born into poverty.   

The emperor needs to learn how to manage his harem.before he can manage the country. LOL.

• Like 1