Quantcast
BellyButton

Ruyi's Royal Love In The Palace 如懿传 2018 (Currently broadcasting)

On 8/31/2018 at 7:37 PM, Sobayaki said:

I'm still on episode 4 but already cannot stand Empress Dowager Zhen Huan. She's seriously an evil witch compared to her personality in Legend of Zhen Huan. For this aspect, I'm kind of disappointed that this drama does not directly connect to its prequel. But I guess it is to make the viewers empathize with Ruyi's character.

As for history, is it real that Hai Yan was the timid consort? She was bullied in Yanxi Palace drama and I believe in My Fair Princess too?

Hailan  has a kind heart. She remains loyal to Ruyi as Ruyi helped her during tough times. Theirs is true sisterhood rare in the palace and politics.  I am happy that QL.appreciated her thoughtfulness and goodness.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BellyButton said:

Hailan  has a kind heart. She remains loyal to Ruyi as Ruyi helped her during tough times. Theirs is true sisterhood rare in the palace and politics.  I am happy that QL.appreciated her thoughtfulness and goodness.

Hailan (Yu Fèi) is the second longest surviving consort/concubine of Qianlong’s reign, behind Wan Pin. I see her as a hybrid of Shen Meizhuang (Consort Hui) and An Lingrong (Consort Li) from Legend of Zhen Huan. Forever loyal to her sisterhood with Ruyi (like Hui Fèi), and she gains confidence and steadily moves up the ranks, becomes more shrewd and scheming, but not in a way that she betrays Ruyi (like An Pin does to Zhen Huan), but in an effort to help their collective cause.

potential spoiler:

Spoiler

Hailan is the one who apparently brings down Wei Yanwan (Ling Huang Guifèi) in the end, to avenge Ruyi’s death. If so, it seems like it carries on for at least an episode after Ruyi’s death, which i’ve never seen the main protagonist be killed off before the show ends, nice twist...

• Like 3

Why does Zhou Xun look bloated in ‘Ruyi’s Royal Love in the Palace’?

“You can’t expect an actor to look forever 20,” says the show’s producer

Posted: 31 Aug 2018 12:13  Updated: 31 Aug 2018 12:20

zhou-xun-ruyi-1.jpg

Two weeks into the broadcast of Ruyi’s Royal Love in the Palace and the internet is still rife with talks about how 'old' and 'bloated' Zhou Xun looks in the first two episodes of the show.

The 43 years old actress was required to play a younger, 15 years old version of her character, Ruyi, due to the storyline, but her deep and mature voice was a strong contrast to her character’s supposed youthfulness. It didn’t help that she appeared more bloated than usual in the first two episodes, too, as compared to the later episodes where she has a noticeably slimmer face.

There’s a good reason for her rounder face, according to the show’s producer Huang Lan, and it’s no fault of Zhou Xun’s.

The rest of the article with credits at: Toggle

-_-

• Thanks 1

@dejun  Maybe I am.blind. LOL. I did not notice that Zhou Xun's face is bloated. 

@ruyispalace1  Circumstances will eventually forced Hailan to be more shrewd to survive is understandable. There is a difference between cruelty and fight to survive. The former is to hurt for sale of hurting. The latter is to hurt or be hurt.  

i've just started watching ruyi and i think it has been excellent. strong casts, great production value and the pace is good to, since it seems to be on the faster side so far.

zhou xun is a goddess! though some may say her voice is raspy, at least her voice is unique. i'm tired of them high-pitched girly subbed over voices. many years ago people complained about zhou xun in legend of the condor heroes, but i thought she is my favourite huang rong ever (considering i've only watched only one of her work prior). the comments about her being old etc are uncalled for. though, if i may comment on one thing it would be her hair parting/ fringe that looks distracting and unreal.

one thing i really love about the show is the women's make up, particularly that long and thin eyebrows. this is similar as in historical drawings where the brows are not strongly defines.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BellyButton said:

@dejun  What happened to QL's real mother in history? Why did Zhen Huan adopt Hongli? 

I was told by tour guides that emperors were expected to have new concubines every month or something like that. 

Scary to live in the palace. Everyone jostling for favour and power. No one is your friend. Cannot blame the Emperor for being suspicious too. Just like real life politics. :huh:

in the original drama, Zhen Huan adopted Hongli after she decided to come back to the palace...The king changed her name and everything because she couldn't just come back after leaving /They mentioned that Hongli real mother was a maid who was favored after a drunken night when the king was still a prince. It made the emperor mad and for that reason, he didn't like Hongli mother

On 8/31/2018 at 10:12 PM, Josephine Safowaa said:
  Hide contents

i have a lot to talk some character and pardon be if i make any mistake with the names or anything else.

the emperor;he really is such a flirty guy and somehow responsible for how this women turns out to be ,for example he pampers some and also complete ignore some .TO MY understanding he does check and balance to control his wives.

hai lan ;a good ally to ruyi but she can also be a double edge blade with ruyi.she will do anything to help ruyi but i hope she learn how to scheme correctly  without any loophole.

arou;what  a disloyal servant 

jia pin;very vicious but i think the actress is very attractive.

the empress dowager;even she also need to plot in order to survive.

the empress;she is a snake undergrass how could she give ruyi a hand band with a musk inside.

ruyi;i really like her chill attitude and intimidating at the same time.i like her friendship with that cold palace guy,but i hope the emperor dont get jealous of their friendship in the future.After ruyi left the cold palace the atmosphere of the inner palace seems so tense.

Spoiler

Arou is eventually going to die, and I'll be so happy when it happens 

the empress dowager just wants to maintain some control of the emperor life 

After episode 22, you can see Hai Lan start to change, so i'm happy about that

well in the drama synopsis we know that the emperor does get jealous of their friendship, some of the concubines accuse Ruyi and the guard of having an affair, so the emperor makes him a eunuch and makes him serve Ruyi .... so he basically chops it off

16 hours ago, dejun said:

Two weeks into the broadcast of Ruyi’s Royal Love in the Palace and the internet is still rife with talks about how 'old' and 'bloated' Zhou Xun looks in the first two episodes of the show.

I think it’s a nice touch, even though it was unintended. It’s quite normal for young girls to look a little rounder, you know, we call it baby fat, then slim down as they grow up. I suppose people who are used to seeing her slim face, as shown in your 2 contrasting photos above, would notice it. I think they could have done something about Zhou Xun’s voice, though, maybe make it a bit more youthful sounding, as befitting a 15 year old, then use her normal deeper voice for the adult parts of the drama.

Anyway, I am enjoying this drama. Now that Ruyi is realising that she can’t stay her sweet self anymore, she will learn that she needs to be careful of the scheming around her, and take pre-emptive strikes on those who want to harm her. Through the cold palace ordeal, she also now knows who are her true and loyal friends.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BellyButton said:

@dejun  What happened to QL's real mother in history? Why did Zhen Huan adopt Hongli? 

I was told by tour guides that emperors were expected to have new concubines every month or something like that. 

Scary to live in the palace. Everyone jostling for favour and power. No one is your friend. Cannot blame the Emperor for being suspicious too. Just like real life politics. :huh:

His mother was a maid or something and died i thought. 

22 hours ago, BellyButton said:

19 hours ago, ruyispalace1 said:

Hailan (Yu Fèi) is the second longest surviving consort/concubine of Qianlong’s reign, behind Wan Pin. I see her as a hybrid of Shen Meizhuang (Consort Hui) and An Lingrong (Consort Li) from Legend of Zhen Huan. Forever loyal to her sisterhood with Ruyi (like Hui Fèi), and she gains confidence and steadily moves up the ranks, becomes more shrewd and scheming, but not in a way that she betrays Ruyi (like An Pin does to Zhen Huan), but in an effort to help their collective cause.

potential spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Hailan is the one who apparently brings down Wei Yanwan (Ling Huang Guifèi) in the end, to avenge Ruyi’s death. If so, it seems like it carries on for at least an episode after Ruyi’s death, which i’ve never seen the main protagonist be killed off before the show ends, nice twist...

excited to watch this if the sisterhood remains loyal and strong . 

23 hours ago, BellyButton said:

His real mother in history is the Empress Dowager in Ruyi's.  So whatever drama you watched that showed he was adopted is just fiction.

If you are interested to know the authentic history of Emperor Qian Long, you can check out the link below:

Short Biography of Emperor Qian Long

@BellyButton :lol:  I'm blind like you too as I didn't noticed that Qing Ying's face was bloated at both 1st and 2nd eps.

MV of Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace with a little spoiler based on what was already shown to-date:

:wub: I want to comment that Ruyi's opening theme song is so beautiful to listen to.  Does anyone know who the singer is?

Ending Theme Song clip

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dzareth said:

----sorry for cutting your post----

one thing i really love about the show is the women's make up, particularly that long and thin eyebrows. this is similar as in historical drawings where the brows are not strongly defines.

Yes, it's exactly what is depicted in the chinese drawings I have seen.

5 hours ago, etelou1 said:

in the original drama, Zhen Huan adopted Hongli after she decided to come back to the palace...The king changed her name and everything because she couldn't just come back after leaving /They mentioned that Hongli real mother was a maid who was favored after a drunken night when the king was still a prince. It made the emperor mad and for that reason, he didn't like Hongli mother

Thanks for letting us know.  I didn't finish Zhen Huan Zhuan drama which was the first novel written by the same author who wrote Ruyi's.  Besides, Ruyi's drama is not the sequel of Zhen Huan Zhuan.  It's similar to the Condor series by Jin Yong.  Anyone who likes Wuxia should try Bloody Romance.  It's quite good though not as good as dramas adapted from Jin Yong novels.

1 hour ago, omiki said:

I think it’s a nice touch, even though it was unintended. It’s quite normal for young girls to look a little rounder, you know, we call it baby fat, then slim down as they grow up. I suppose people who are used to seeing her slim face, as shown in your 2 contrasting photos above, would notice it. I think they could have done something about Zhou Xun’s voice, though, maybe make it a bit more youthful sounding, as befitting a 15 year old, then use her normal deeper voice for the adult parts of the drama.

Anyway, I am enjoying this drama. Now that Ruyi is realising that she can’t stay her sweet self anymore, she will learn that she needs to be careful of the scheming around her, and take pre-emptive strikes on those who want to harm her. Through the cold palace ordeal, she also now knows who are her true and loyal friends.

I agreed with you and am looking forward to the next few episodes.  Looks like I might watch the raws first instead of waiting for the subs. :blush:

• Like 1

i'm really surprised at the number of people believing QL is not biological spawn of ZH. do you not google my grasshoppers? :huh:

• LOL 1

23 minutes ago, dzareth said:

i'm really surprised at the number of people believing QL is not biological spawn of ZH. do you not google my grasshoppers? :huh:

people are thinking its a sequel to empresses in the palace where he was adopted... 

On 8/31/2018 at 12:37 AM, rosierosie said:

Damn 9yrs and 16 yrs old!! They were babies. During that time, do people marry young?

for power yes...I think it was mostly people with money who did so, parents were usually in charge of the marriage partners during that time so if you wanted to get close to a family then you would promise your daughter to a family 

• Like 2

Who is the consort who will be taking care of tar ah key? Looks like pro Ruyi camp?

@dejun  I like the songs too and am wondering who the singer is? The song is the type which grows on you.

@dzareth :D We get confused after watching man written dramas. 

Ep20

Spoiler

The abandoned ladies in the cold palace .... so sad. 

I think the production team is really lucky for getting joan chen, vivian wu, zhou xun and wallace. Who cares if wallace & zx is way older than the characters age. We easily forget that due to their performances. I look forward to see ruyi turning cold because i think zx is one of those who can carry the tragic+prideful emotions of later ruyi well. 

• Like 2

About Fuca married at 15 yo is accurate as recorded in history/wikipedia. Ulanara at that time was 9yo....and no, she was married 6-7yrs later, similar to Fuca's age.

Spoiler

Not sure if u know, the original novel of Zhen Huan Legend is actually based on either a made-up dynasty or a much older period, it was never Qing Dynasty. When it was to be made into a drama, they chose to adapt it to Qing Dynasty and chose Yongzhen period. There is quite a lot of freedom to adapt the story in, perhaps b'cos compared to Qianlong, Yongzhen had less details on "romantic" records (eg whom he doted on).

Anyway so the false impression of wife selection started in Zhen Huan, the last part where Fuca and Ulanara were both selected in same yr and Ulanara even went from 3rd Prince to 4th Prince...not true in history....b'cos their wives were pre-assigned by the Emperor directly (as stated in history record). 

But these are trivia....since the adaptations add to the romantic theme....and add interesting layers to the chars.

Some stuff are made up in previous novels and dramas...and b'cos of the deep belief in them....new novels and dramas continue to use them. Until now...viewers still ask when is Little Swallow going to appear whenever 5th Prince Yongqi appeared onscreen...haha.

There are 3 songs. Theme song, open theme song and the end-credit song. The open theme song (at the start of each ep) is 沉香流年 Incense & Fleeting Years (think both incense smoke and youth are similar, uncatchable once gone) by  雷佳 Lei Jia, a chinese folk soprano.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lei_Jia

Spoiler

Theme song is 双影 Double Shadows (probably refer to 2 persons together linked by their shadows).....by A-mei (Taiwan)张惠妹 and Sandy Lam (HK)林忆莲 ....these 2 female singers should be well-known enough.

End-credit song is 梅香如故 Familiar Fragrance of Plum Blossoms (i guess it refers again to fleeting memories)....by Mao Buyi 毛不易 and Zhou Shen 周深, both male singers are quite young and came from music competitions in recent yrs. Mao is known to write simple yet touching songs and Zhou is known for his crystal-clear...emmm...more feminine higher-pitched voice.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, dzareth said:

I think the production team is really lucky for getting joan chen, vivian wu, zhou xun and wallace. Who cares if wallace & zx is way older than the characters age. We easily forget that due to their performances. I look forward to see ruyi turning cold because i think zx is one of those who can carry the tragic+prideful emotions of later ruyi well. 

Definitely agreed that the acting is superb! The script/dialogue is sophisticated and these actresses and actors are delivering for sure. 

Jin Yuyin (mother of 4th prince) reminds me of a very smart and cunning Hua Fei (from Zhen Huan drama). Not sure why. Something similar in their mannerism, smirks and the way they talk.  

@Cedric Ong  Thank you very much for the info about the singers. I thought Zhou looks like a man but I was confused with his high pitch voice. I find Mao's voice unique. 

No wonder I find Lei Jia voice strong and crystal clear. Excellent enunciation. Without knowing the subs, the songs and pictures give a whiff of regret and sadness without being overly dramatic. Love the orchestral background of the songs. I can clearly imagine Lei His singing In dense and Fleeting years on stage. I like the title of the song comparing their loving youth like an incense. Fragrant but like you say Cedric, short live. 

Funny. I hated Kuei Fei but I teared at her ending. She is nasty and hasty but she was not clever enough to be the ultimate schemer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, etelou1 said:

for power yes...I think it was mostly people with money who did so, parents were usually in charge of the marriage partners during that time so if you wanted to get close to a family then you would promise your daughter to a family 

Yeah. Those days, they bethrothed their children when they were babies.  And some may even had to marry the dead if the other dies before they can officially get married.:huh:

• Like 1