Quantcast
BellyButton

Ruyi's Royal Love In The Palace 如懿传 2018 (Currently broadcasting)

6 hours ago, Alila Nguyen said:

Haha I’m not doubting it, but China has always been so strict and really want to mould the way people’s thinking. So twisting history isn’t what they want.

i myself believe history is written by winners. History is never as true as they made to be believed! If you are feeling sorry for Ruyi, look at Jang Ok Jung, well known for being evil! She might have been, but in the end, how they get rid of her? Blaming her for witchcraft, which we all know are bogus, and by the sound of it, even the history doesn’t seem to hide the fact that it was just a reason to get rid of her. So I don’t trust one bit about her based on the Korean recorded history lol (sorry koreans :( love your culture and what’s not but this bit of history is just Uhm.... lol) 

And to be fair, living during that time, where life and death is just a flip of a hand, if you are not a bit mean, a bit calculated, you won’t get far!

anyway, I do want to see how they explain the fall out, since legend of Yanxi gave a pretty ordinary explanation, she’s evil, the emperor found out, the end. If she was that evil, he could just get rid of her, but he didn’t, instead he let her live but alone and neglected. So either the emperor is just as twisted or there is something a lot deeper, that death is too easy! Also say what you will but she has been with him before he was even an emperor, so it was not like she needs to fight for his affections, because they had that time together before his harem got crowded.

Exactly what i was thinking history always favors the winner's and the emperor could have cut stuff and made Ruyi look bad etc... 

I think the argument that she was evil is a boring argument honestly if she was evil why was she the longest serving empress of that reign.. did the emperor really not know anything?

6 hours ago, stella77 said:

^Surely one day after it has all been Eng subbed, I will tackle this drama just purely for how they will deal with her losing the emperor’s favor and being demoted and banished. I have read some historical theories but none have been proven yet. Most popular one is that they argued and she cut her hair to protest (which is like wishing death to the emperor back in those time - major breach of etiquette) or that she was framed. Then there are tons of speculations re if she was evil or he was cruel and if she died of a broken heart etc. There aren’t too many historical books about her in English, I have to keep looking. 

I just think it a protest and basically telling him to kill her.

5 hours ago, Alila Nguyen said:

Yea, I’m not buying the cutting her hair either lol. It’s like Jang ok jung’s witchcraft lol. I know people back then is not very bright, but I would think a 20yrs plus marriage should be able to endure some hair loss xD

5 hours ago, ruyispalace1 said:

Nothing but TRUTH!!! I’ve always said, history favours those who last long enough to manipulate it. Yeah, Jang Ok Jung is quite a similar tragic comparison. 

Also, with how they fallout :

Hide contents

I’ve heard it is in protest to Wei Yanwan (Ling Guifèi) being promoted to Imperial Noble Consort (Huang Guifèi) first rank concubine. Which is understandable, because that rank is generally left unused if the empress is still living. Most times it is when they are near death, there is no Empress present, or posthumously honoured. Anyway apparently the emperor and Dowager agree, but events that happen leading up to that moment, is why Ruyi is so hurt by it. The actress playing Wei Yanwan is doing a great job of annoying me  already lol .

Regarding your spoiler if that happens then i understand why should be feel betrayed did the hair cutting in protest. 

9 hours ago, stella77 said:

Since I studied Chinese history, I love little details relating to historical customs and traditions. The gift he gives her is called a Ruyi scepter, used for ceremonial symbolism. You can read more here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruyi_(scepter) 

Thank you for the link!

I think I will need to finish Yanxi before I can start on Ruyi. I'll have to get used to the character portrayal switch.

• Like 1

It is victors that write history and even when the Emperor finds out his folly in the end would he taint his own life long legacy by reinstate Ruyi and admit Emperor is at fault ?  That if Ruyi is at no wrong and is wrongly accused.

4 minutes ago, Tang Soon said:

It is victors that write history and even when the Emperor finds out his folly in the end would he taint his own life long legacy by reinstate Ruyi and admit Emperor is at fault ?  That if Ruyi is at no wrong and is wrongly accused.

I think she just cuts off her hair as protest from the trailers i think they are showing this Ruyi as a nicer person but maybe looks can be deceiving but rarely are female leads evil right? 

I don't want to get my expectations up but I hope that this drama can portray the "break-up" well with all its complexity. In reality, the truth isn't always "clear" and the blame isn't only on one person -- it would be too easy. I hope that they show a more realistic view, where it can be an accumulation of many things, actions or people that set things in motion that triggers the emotions or rash actions (because let's face it - people make mistakes all the time with harsh consequences that impacts many people). So I wouldn't enjoy it as much if they made it too black and white  or that they blamed one person or one situation etc. 

Sooooooooo happy for Eng subs. I will def. watch later.

3 hours ago, stella77 said:

I don't want to get my expectations up but I hope that this drama can portray the "break-up" well with all its complexity. In reality, the truth isn't always "clear" and the blame isn't only on one person -- it would be too easy. I hope that they show a more realistic view, where it can be an accumulation of many things, actions or people that set things in motion that triggers the emotions or rash actions (because let's face it - people make mistakes all the time with harsh consequences that impacts many people). So I wouldn't enjoy it as much if they made it too black and white  or that they blamed one person or one situation etc. 

Sooooooooo happy for Eng subs. I will def. watch later.

Indeed. Relationships are always complex. Even if there are two sides of the coin, it is impossible to make logic of feelings. We have to watch this drama perhaps with an open mind to rationalise their feelings, actions and consequences.

• Like 1

Tencent apologizes for ad blunder, Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace hits 200 million views

vfVLK3s.jpg

Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace reached 200 million hits on Tencent streaming site.  

For complete update please check out at the source blog.

Credits to Dramapanda: Source

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just saw a trailer for the drama (intentionally avoiding) and it loooks amazing...beautiful and full of tension. I don’t think they will disappoint me re the complexity. Once Eng subs it out 20 episodes in, I will watch this. No life left between work, sleep and this drama lol.

Finally this drama gets to air.. just watched the first 2 episodes and so far I’m loving the production. There seem to be some negativity about the drama (not sure if it’s on purpose by competitors, most probably yes). 

Still have super high hope for this drama as like discussed earlier, most characters here are kind of familiar to us through other epic drama (My fair princess, Yanxi, etc) but the characteristic seems to differ slightly and I would really like to see the ‘history’ through another perspectives. 

Most just portray Step Empress as the evil one but no one try to show it through her eyes. Why did she become evil? Was she evil by nature or she has no choice but be evil to survive? 

Being able to rise to the position of an Empress is not easy. The harem is full of scheme and tricks where if you are too kind, you will be in heaven soon. 

Spoiler

This drama is showing there is real love between Qianlong and Ruyi, that he truly love her and wanted her to be by his side. What makes him push her aside and deleted her presence in history makes the storyline so much more interesting. According to those previews, it seems that Qianlong still loves Ruyi till the end. To the extend that he feels so lonely and more so after she’s gone from his life. But what makes him unable to forgive Ruyi? 

• Like 3

I just reattached the trailers on Viki, and dang it is going to be one intense ride!!! Wallace face expressions is on point!!! I wondered why the emperor send her away?? Ruyi seems to be the one that he really loves??? I dont know much about Chinese history, but did Ruyi become Empress too?? I am looking forward to it!!! Is this based slightly on Chinese history too? 

2 hours ago, cassiemissy said:

Finally this drama gets to air.. just watched the first 2 episodes and so far I’m loving the production. There seem to be some negativity about the drama (not sure if it’s on purpose by competitors, most probably yes). 

Still have super high hope for this drama as like discussed earlier, most characters here are kind of familiar to us through other epic drama (My fair princess, Yanxi, etc) but the characteristic seems to differ slightly and I would really like to see the ‘history’ through another perspectives. 

Most just portray Step Empress as the evil one but no one try to show it through her eyes. Why did she become evil? Was she evil by nature or she has no choice but be evil to survive? 

Being able to rise to the position of an Empress is not easy. The harem is full of scheme and tricks where if you are too kind, you will be in heaven soon. 

Hide contents

This drama is showing there is real love between Qianlong and Ruyi, that he truly love her and wanted her to be by his side. What makes him push her aside and deleted her presence in history makes the storyline so much more interesting. According to those previews, it seems that Qianlong still loves Ruyi till the end. To the extend that he feels so lonely and more so after she’s gone from his life. But what makes him unable to forgive Ruyi? 

In Yanxi, it portrays her as good at first until her family got killed off and she was driven by guilt and so she hard press on revenge and basically turn true evil afterward. Which is a common storyline lol. Imma also wait until it come out half way to binge xD in case it’s too intense lol

32 minutes ago, rosierosie said:

I just reattached the trailers on Viki, and dang it is going to be one intense ride!!! Wallace face expressions is on point!!! I wondered why the emperor send her away?? Ruyi seems to be the one that he really loves??? I dont know much about Chinese history, but did Ruyi become Empress too?? I am looking forward to it!!! Is this based slightly on Chinese history too? 

In actual history, Ruyi is known as the Step Empress. She is the 2nd Empress of Qianlong after his first Empress Fuca passed away. No one knows why she lost the Emperor’s favour and even being neglected to the extend that her death was not given proper ceremonial and she was not given a tomb, but only buried next to another Imperial Noble consort as if she’s a servant. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stella77 said:

^Surely one day after it has all been Eng subbed, I will tackle this drama just purely for how they will deal with her losing the emperor’s favor and being demoted and banished. I have read some historical theories but none have been proven yet. Most popular one is that they argued and she cut her hair to protest (which is like wishing death to the emperor back in those time - major breach of etiquette) or that she was framed. Then there are tons of speculations re if she was evil or he was cruel and if she died of a broken heart etc. There aren’t too many historical books about her in English, I have to keep looking. 

20 hours ago, stella77 said:

Yes, it is hard to believe unless it was like an act of total defiant or her totally going against the emperor and husband. I can see it - husband and wives can change both personality and dynamic wise over the course of their marriage without the complications of politics, him being emperor with a harlem too. Complicated doesn’t even begin to cover their relationship. Ok going back to lurk mode - sorry history geek here. 

22 hours ago, Wotad said:

wasnt she the longest serving empress of that dynasty as well.

I mean during that Era who was not mean sometimes?

We dont know much about The Step Empress to really judge if she was either. 

Yes historically, Ruyi was the longest Empress serving Emperor Qian Long.  I felt she lost favour when she thought that through her wrongful action, she could convinced him not to do as he pleased and tried to control him but it backfired. 

Based on history, I believed that her hair cut could be the real cause as Emperor Qian Long was furious with her after that particular incident and she was cut off from his presence from then onwards.  Maybe she thought that his love for her will cause him to forgive her??  Then again, she seemed to forget Emperor Qian Long's status and his personality of being extremely fastidious when it comes to proper customs and rites in the spur of that moment?  The way she was treated even after her death showed his great contempt of her due to her wrongful action. ;)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

After watching Ep. 5, I suspect it may be due to Ruyi being influenced by the Western artist who talked about the one Husband one Wife system, and how one can leave the marriage when there is no more love. I’m guessing that maybe after Qian Long fell in love with another woman, she decided to provoke him so that he will allow her to leave. But of course, that is not allowed during those days, so that’s why she was neglected or cast into the Cold Palace. Kind of similar to what happened to her aunt, the previous Empress. 

I dont know this history story but does Hai Lan play an important role later in the drama? The actress playing her is quite famous, and was in another modern drama earlier this year.

anyway, I’m enjoying this riveting drama. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, omiki said:

After watching Ep. 5, I suspect it may be due to Ruyi being influenced by the Western artist who talked about the one Husband one Wife system, and how one can leave the marriage when there is no more love. I’m guessing that maybe after Qian Long fell in love with another woman, she decided to provoke him so that he will allow her to leave. But of course, that is not allowed during those days, so that’s why she was neglected or cast into the Cold Palace. Kind of similar to what happened to her aunt, the previous Empress. 

I dont know this history story but does Hai Lan play an important role later in the drama? The actress playing her is quite famous, and was in another modern drama earlier this year.

anyway, I’m enjoying this riveting drama. 

Love Janiane Chang <3 she great in Empresses of China too. 

Historically, Hailan much like the series, starts off with a lowly title. She manages to rise through the ranks largely in part to giving birth to Qianlong favourite son. He was the first son of the Emperors to be given a princely title. However he died in his 20s, and Yu Fèi gradually lost his majesties interest- bare in mind she’s approaching 50, their were plenty of younger ones keep him company. What makes me sad for her is she lived only a few years shorter than Qianlong, 78, however between the time she became Consort (Yu Fèi) in 1745 until her death in ‘92, she was never promoted again or considered an important concubine, even though at one time being both decades older than higher ranking consorts and senior to them, in terms of years spent with Emperor. 

And yes, she’ll have an important role later on in the series, bringing down the “evil” ones.  

@omiki, synopsis did mention that Hai Lan is Qing Ying's good sister.  

Spoiler

Those who read the novel said that 'Ruyi' was ahead of her time.  Smart and independent and perhaps find it hard to accept Qian Long's many concubines.  But  unfortunately, she was born ahead of her times.  She was born at a time where women's status was subservient to her husband.  

I have just completed two eps.  

Spoiler

Love the fresh and in a way innocent love of Hong Li and Qing Ying displayed in the first two eps.  Sweet and idealistic as in most young people who are in love.  

@ruyispalace1  Maybe Hai Lan really doesn't care for titles?  

Guys, anyone can tell me who are the singers for the beginning and ending songs?  Thank you.

She becomes the longest serving empress of that reign im pretty sure.

1 hour ago, dejun said:

Yes historically, Ruyi was the longest Empress serving Emperor Qian Long.  I felt she lost favour when she thought that through her wrongful action, she could convinced him not to do as he pleased and tried to control him but it backfired. 

Based on history, I believed that her hair cut could be the real cause as Emperor Qian Long was furious with her after that particular incident and she was cut off from his presence from then onwards.  Maybe she thought that his love for her will cause him to forgive her??  Then again, she seemed to forget Emperor Qian Long's status and his personality of being extremely fastidious when it comes to proper customs and rites in the spur of that moment?  The way she was treated even after her death showed his great contempt of her due to her wrongful action. ;)

I think it was just in protest it could be a scenario why shes like just kill me already or something lets wait and see.

I dont think she would just do it due to jealously but something that made her mad.

Spoiler

I’ve heard it is in protest to Wei Yanwan (Ling Guifèi) being promoted to Imperial Noble Consort (Huang Guifèi) first rank concubine. Which is understandable, because that rank is generally left unused if the empress is still living. Most times it is when they are near death, there is no Empress present, or posthumously honoured. Anyway apparently the emperor and Dowager agree, but events that happen leading up to that moment, is why Ruyi is so hurt by it. The actress playing Wei Yanwan is doing a great job of annoying me  already lol .

Someone said this above and this would be a reason.

1 hour ago, BellyButton said:

@ruyispalace1  Maybe Hai Lan really doesn't care for titles?  

@BellyButton yeah that’s most likely :) Had fate not intervened and her son survived, she could have very well been Empress Dowager. Interesting thought... 

Ruyi definitely was ahead of her time. And I think in the end the titles didn’t matter to her, she just wanted her husband to love her, have that same feeling before they became to two most important people in the empire. 

• Like 1

First Impression: What do you think of Zhou Xun and Wallace Huo’s Ru Yi’s Royal Love In The Palace?

Palace drama Ru Yi’s Royal Love In The Palace (如懿传) is adapted from the novel written by Liu Lian Zi, following the marriage between Qianlong Emperor (Wallace Huo) and Ulanara (Zhou Xun), the Step Empress during the Qing dynasty.

Ruyi%2088.jpg

Ruyi%2089.jpg

Spoiler

Ruyi%2090.jpg

Ruyi%2091.jpg

Ruyi%2092.jpg

Spoiler

Ruyi%2093.jpg

Ruyi%2094.jpg

Ruyi%2096.jpg

Spoiler

Ruyi%2095.jpg