Quantcast
Sign in to follow this  
MissAria

How's life after college ?

In college, I remember being stressed out for exams, spending many hours studying. I didn't work a lot while I was studying. There were classmates I disliked, I told myself I have just have to ignore them, tolerate them for a few years until I graduate.

Now, life after college is ... finding the job that suits me, but not only that... the job ambiance,coworkers, manager, supervisor, the pay etc...

I got a level entry job, because employers are picky they want job experiences, letter of reference. I'm trying to fit in the company. I'm just used. Financial compression, low staff, people are all getting in their nerves. I'm making mistakes. Coworkers that are phony, they kindly ask me to help them, when they think I'm not looking around they give me hating stares, roll their eyes, sigh, keep whispering.

It's just the same everywhere. What do you think?

I definitely get what you're saying about life after college — I work in an office full of the older crowd, those who are almost at the age of almost having grandchildren. They're quite bitter about what they do, and they're a little immature and phony as well. It's a little sad to think that if I stick to my job for as long as they have, I might turn into that kind of person, haha. 

But when I take a step back and look at the whole picture, I get that I don't see what happens to them outside of work. People have a lot of stuff going on so their energy might just be coming off negative from first glance. I take the "kill them with kindness" approach, and sometimes I stir up the pot by offering up new ways to do things around the office too. Sometimes that brings excitement for others and motivation for myself. 

So don't focus on all the catty stuff; just focus on the work you like doing, and work on constantly improving yourself. If you're not happy with where you're at or what you're doing, you should find something else that would make you more productive, whether that's looking for another job, spending more time with friends and family, going back to school again, etc. 

Also, life after college doesn't have to equate to what you've dedicated your entire career to. I'm not perfect, but I've made it a point to maintain balance in my life. Try picking up new hobbies, improving on old hobbies, taking care of a pet, tutoring kids, trying to get fit, volunteering, traveling on vacation time, etc. 

TLDR; I think going through life you'll start to realize there are people who still act the way they did in college or even high school (shallow, self-serving, short-sighted, etc.). But I think if you open your eyes and actively seek out people and actively seek ways to explore life, you'll also find that there are lot of good people out there who are extremely open-minded and open up doors for you. And those doors don't necessarily have to be about your job or finances either. 

• Like 4

Since college, what I've noticed the most is being unable to meet as many people my age. Especially when I started my first job, there were many people older than me and it was just a generation of differences among people. Thats why when I was going for my second job, I made it a criteria for myself that I wanted a team that I liked to work with and could relate to in my personal life as well even if it meant taking a less pay than what some other companies offered me. I'm really happy and I enjoy everyday of work now. Usually your first job does not give you much choice but after a year or two when you decide to move on to bigger better things, definitely make team compatibility a thing to look for!

On 3/21/2016 at 3:29 PM, x_1 said:

Since college, what I've noticed the most is being unable to meet as many people my age...Usually your first job does not give you much choice but after a year or two when you decide to move on to bigger better things, definitely make team compatibility a thing to look for!

I agree with your sentiments, and finding that core team at work is something I'm looking for too.

I'm finishing up my graduate degree this year, and my next opportunity will definitely be a mixed bag of younger people (lots of fresh college recruits) and plenty of older and seasoned in the industry (including myself). It's been difficult meeting more people my age, or just meeting people at all unless you put yourself out there. Back in undergrad, there were lots of opportunities I didn't take because of the situation i was in (relationship, finances, etc.), but now I'm definitely making the effort to network, reach out to new and old friends, and just trying new things. No joke, I made a new friends a year ago through an uberPool ride (we shard the cab), and a few more just by showing up to recruiting events. I'm looking forward to finding a good set of coworker friends I can go to happy hours with after work (company's dime, no less!) as well as travel with (we'd be on the same schedule with helllllllla loyalty points from business travel).

Gotta hustle while you can!!

Ugh, it's been four years since I've graduated from college, and I'm still trying to find a permanent, full-time job.  Most of my work history since graduation has been either per diem or temp work.  I did get a permanent job in January of last year from a temp assignment that I had for several months, but they went out of business last fall, so I had to go back to the temp agency and have been with them ever since.  It's only been in the past few weeks that I've been applying for permanent, direct hire jobs, because I've been at my current assignment since January and it doesn't look like they're going to hire me.  Even though my supervisor wants me to get hired, it's corporate's decision.

After spending two years as a substitute teacher, I've not only had few interviews and no offers from any of the dozens of teaching jobs I applied for (I'm certified), but also realized after a while that public education is not a very good industry for teachers or students.  It also doesn't help that I never formulated a Plan B as an undergrad.  I just figured that if I ended up not getting a teaching job, I'd get some generic office job.  Little did I know that "generic office jobs" either require just a high school diploma and simple skills, resulting in pretty low pay, or if they pay better, a degree in a field like business or accounting, which I don't have.

I really hope to get a permanent job this year so that I can finally move out of my parents' house and get an apartment with one roommate.  (My current wages would be enough for that, but the issue is that my current employment is not stable.)  I will be 27 years old next month and need to get out of here!

On 2016-05-30 at 5:27 PM, fihe said:

Ugh, it's been four years since I've graduated from college, and I'm still trying to find a permanent, full-time job.  Most of my work history since graduation has been either per diem or temp work.  I did get a permanent job in January of last year from a temp assignment that I had for several months, but they went out of business last fall, so I had to go back to the temp agency and have been with them ever since.  It's only been in the past few weeks that I've been applying for permanent, direct hire jobs, because I've been at my current assignment since January and it doesn't look like they're going to hire me.  Even though my supervisor wants me to get hired, it's corporate's decision.

After spending two years as a substitute teacher, I've not only had few interviews and no offers from any of the dozens of teaching jobs I applied for (I'm certified), but also realized after a while that public education is not a very good industry for teachers or students.  It also doesn't help that I never formulated a Plan B as an undergrad.  I just figured that if I ended up not getting a teaching job, I'd get some generic office job.  Little did I know that "generic office jobs" either require just a high school diploma and simple skills, resulting in pretty low pay, or if they pay better, a degree in a field like business or accounting, which I don't have.

I really hope to get a permanent job this year so that I can finally move out of my parents' house and get an apartment with one roommate.  (My current wages would be enough for that, but the issue is that my current employment is not stable.)  I will be 27 years old next month and need to get out of here!

Same here for me... My job is not permanent with variable hours (they call it on call job). I'm thinking of going back to school to study a different career because I feel I am stuck.

Im wrapping up my last class for my degree, well its a diploma. I thought start out small, enough to get me out of retail, and I'm going to a school with a good reputation too..

Im finding it extremely difficult to get an entry level job. I can't really go through temp agencies because of lack of experience, and I don't get any paid internship opportunities too.. reading some of these posts is kind of depressing.

17 hours ago, xstarBURST said:

Im wrapping up my last class for my degree, well its a diploma. I thought start out small, enough to get me out of retail, and I'm going to a school with a good reputation too..

Im finding it extremely difficult to get an entry level job. I can't really go through temp agencies because of lack of experience, and I don't get any paid internship opportunities too.. reading some of these posts is kind of depressing.

Keep Trying ! It can be hard to not feel depressed. Some people who graduated with the same bachelor than me, got some good jobs, some didn't. It depends on the people (luck, networking skills, hardwork).

• Like 1

At my office we have a lot of part-timers who are students and remind me of my university days. Although I love my job, I realized my free time is just a pause between work today and work tomorrow. I realized that during uni I had time to sleep, enjoy life, learn tons of new things, met new people and so on. After a few years of work I just feel empty and without energy every night I come home. Not to mention the bills, food and everything else I have to take care of. No wonder we get to an age where we are bitter and not in the mood for fun. Not even the money I earn can make me feel better, since I know there is a next Monday.

So, job or not, adulthood is just really really stressful.  

• Like 1

After college I enrolled in grad school. I don't like school but I'm not looking forward to enter the working world either (at least I will get paid)

Empty. Absolutely empty. I graduated last year. I never realized how much time I spent in a day at school/studying/projects/etc until after I graduated. I was in school for so long (8 years) that I would have this lifestyle for the rest of my life.

Now I'm trying to leave my part time job and get my foot into the state. I want to be selfish and move out of my parents' house, but they need help with bills. 

• Like 1

I thought I would have it all figured out after college. NOPE. Not even close. During the last semester of school I couldn't help feel like I was in the wrong field, I was already burnt. Yet I persisted and graduated because I had put in a lot of hard work, tears, and energy. I had to pass my nursing board to utilize my license after getting my bachelor's degree and that filled me with so much dread. My nursing career may end at this point even before I have started, I may never utilize my 4 year degree if I never pass. I persisted again, it might have been my fear of failing and disappointing my love ones that carried me through it all. I started a nurse residency program after graduation and I wasn't too certain about it. I actually I hated it the first 3-6 months. It was work mixed with school (journaling, projects, case studies, working on the unit, etc.). It stressed me out when I had to do school work on top of working full time; it was suppose to ease me into my professional career, like a full time internship. I debated about dropping out of the program and just getting a full time job half way through, but I stayed with the program and finished and got hired as a full time nurse on a unit. I stayed for a total of almost two years there. It was difficult to talk to my coworkers and manager at first when I was hired. At first I was very distant with them, only came to work, did what I had to do, and then went home. But then you see them so often, you start to put in a little more effort socially, you get to know their quirks and habits, you learn about them as people and not just in their professional role at work, and you learn to like them. I never thought I was going to actually like the people I worked with but I really did grow to like them; as far as gossip, I just ignore and don't contribute because that is just not my cup of tea. When you start to converse more and know your coworkers as other human beings that also exist outside of work, you start to look forward to work and you also learn to empathize with them when they are having an off day. I just started at a new hospital, once again I am awkward and distant...and I hate it, but I know it will get better once I adjust to the new environment and the people. I miss being comfortable though. Yet, I still feel like I am missing something in life because my days become so boring I work, eat, sleep, repeat. Feels like when I am out of work I am too tired for life outside of work and then on my days off, I think about when I need to be back at work and it stresses me out. My mind is on work 24/7, on my days off I find my self thinking, "I'd be getting ready for work at about this time..." When I am not thinking about work, I am constantly thinking of traveling, being more worldly, entertaining the thought of moving back home to help out my family, learning to be more independent, putting my gym membership to use (gawd its been almost 2 months since I've step foot in a gym), and fighting through my emotions (I can do this, what was I thinking, I can't do this, if others can do it so can I, I just need to be more patient and give it more time, etc). The worries and internal conflict never ends.

• Like 1

well, it's quiet hard after college. you really have to be more responsible and independent. everything around you is valued by money in which you have to earn it and work hard so you can get it. you have to invest for your future. the problems and hardships on finding jobs, switching to new job while taking care of yourself. I lived far away from my parents and at first it was very hard yet so exciting. like you can do things that you were not allowed to do when you were still studying. you have to cook after you arrive home from work, on your day-off you have to do the laundry basically like you have to do everything. but it's fine. i think as long as you set your mind that you are now part of the adult world. you can adjust yourself very well.

After college, I went on a break and wanted to go travel and do what I like doing the most which are going to anime conventions. I wanted to check the one in Southern California and was able to do it. Got to meet cool people and one of the people came up to visit me so I am thankful for that. 

Now that I had my fun, it was job searching and I think that was way more stressful than college. 4 months later I got an entry level position as well and the job does not make me much much money as expected. The good thing about my job is that I have no stress after going home and my supervisor is awesome.

I am able to still meet people due to my hobbies and my initiative to go up to people and have a conversation. The other thing is that I do not keep much contact with the people I met from college. I still hit them up on messenger asking how they are, but when it comes to hanging out in real life it is hard to plan since everyone is busy due to work, relationships, or other responsibilities. 

Very busy, adulting M to F. You don't really hangout with your friends and see them as much as you like. You have to make time to do errands, hangout with friends and family etc. Basically, your life is passing by, and you must make sure you have fun while the days continue on.

• Like 2