Quantcast
sugarplum892

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2016] Love O2O 微微一笑很倾城

On 1/2/2019 at 8:18 AM, _ajakajak_ said:

lets rewatch tonight...i'm on episode 11..the basketball court episode...man, xiao nai is so obvious, wants to claim her infront everyone :wub:

lols sorry for being later i was away for holiday and just got back today lols

Yes XiaoNai was damn obvious lols.....and WeiWei is just too shy :) 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Just dropping by to say that my friends and I started watching this show a couple of weeks ago and we're absolutely over the moon with the lead characters.

tumblr_od68wfTTrb1vnay5jo1_400.gif?ssl=1

If you want to join us and read our analysis, mostly done by me, feel free to drop by and share your own thoughts.  

I recently declared Xiao Nai the best boyfriend ever, and we'll be using him as yardstick to measure all the other kdrama, cdrama, jdrama, boyfriends we watch against him. Here's part of our reasons:  

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/02/14/best-drama-boyfriend-ever/

Here's my first impression on the show and why we were hooked to complete 30 episodes in 3 days (that's an exaggeration of course, bu you know I mean...

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/02/06/love-o2o-eps-1-to-5-first-impressions

Here's an except because I don't want to bog you down.

...for my blog-readers who are avid fans of Pride and Prejudice (paging @agdr03), I’m going to write a more detailed recommendation to encourage y’all to give this romcom a second look. It’s fun to watch when you’re over-worked and stressed-out like me.

I’ll give you three big reasons. (Warning: spoilers. But just read the spoilers so you’ll know what to expect.)

First, online gaming = ballroom dances

As I said in “Memories of the Alhambra,” my gaming experience is limited to a feisty purple dragon named Spyro who hunts for dragon eggs and head-butts nasty orcs. To go from playing Spyro the Dragon to watching lead characters roleplay personas with long hair and flowing robes was a big leap for me.

The only way I could sit through numerous fight scenes of Weiwei and Xiao Nai was to view their encounters as ballroom dances. 

Image result for pride and prejudice dance gif

The way I see it, the fictional university in Love O2O is as segregated as the nineteenth century England of Jane Austen. Girls dorm with girls; boys dorm with boys. Unless they’re part of a couple, the students mingled with people of their own gender in and after classes, during lunch and sporting events, on weekends and schooldays.

No wonder the online game “A Chinese Ghost Story” was popular among students! It’s the largest venue available to students where they can interact freely with the opposite sex. Gaming doubles as a dating service for the college students.

I had to smirk when in Episode 2, the game announced that the lead characters’ marriage was the 158,999th marriage on that server alone.

THosgnX.png?zoom=1.25&ssl=1

The anonymity of the popular game allows the students to meet others and match up with a partner without the hassles of real-life dating, e.g., vetting the other person, spending money to go on dates, surviving the dreaded introduction to their friends, and escaping a boring date.

Logging onto the game was the 21st century version of going to a ballroom dance. For instance, allies in duels are chosen like a dance partner. There are no strings attached and partners can change for the next round. Also, there are rules of interaction in the game, just as there are etiquette guidelines to courtly behavior in a ballroom. How the gamers comport themselves online — not only in battle, but in the chatgroups — reveal much about their personalities. But most importantly, partnering with someone in the game, like choosing a dance partner in a ballroom, allows the couple ample time to converse (or “chat”) and FLIRT with each other.

Here's also an analysis on Episode 2

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/02/15/love-o2o-episode-2-highlights/

On Episode 3

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/02/15/love-o2o-episode-3-highlights/

and on Episode 4

http://bitchesoverdramas.com/2019/02/15/love-o2o-episode-4-highlights/

So, there you go. I'm posting the links here because each blog write-up has tons of pictures and it will be a pain to transfer. None of us speak Chinese, so we had to rely on the abysmal subs on Netflix. But for me, this show was a good introduction to Cdramas and a welcome change from the typical kdrama fare. 

I'm looking forward to more of your recommendations, @angelangie. See you later! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/16/2019 at 5:54 AM, packmule3 said:

I'm looking forward to more of your recommendations, @angelangie. See you later! 

i will pick only happy ending for you lols :P 

• Thanks 1

I watched a couple of episodes, and then I gave up because Yang Yang is too handsome and his character is too unbelievable. I couldn't finish it!! The leads are cute though. 

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, rosierosie said:

I watched a couple of episodes, and then I gave up because Yang Yang is too handsome and his character is too unbelievable. I couldn't finish it!! The leads are cute though. 

lols

u should continue.....the whole campus girls will always go gaga just looking at him :D 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I quite enjoyed Love O2O when it was airing, but TBH I like the movie version better. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Angelababy portrays a more convincing Wei Wei than Zheng Shuang. And Jing Boran is just effortlessly cool.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, caranita said:

I quite enjoyed Love O2O when it was airing, but TBH I like the movie version better. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Angelababy portrays a more convincing Wei Wei than Zheng Shuang. And Jing Boran is just effortlessly cool.

oh there is a movie version?

24 minutes ago, angelangie said:

oh there is a movie version?

Yeah! Below's the trailer. (But you can find the movie full version on YT too he he...)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caranita said:

Yeah! Below's the trailer. (But you can find the movie full version on YT too he he...)

i have to agree lols....the movie version is really better....though BoRan is not the dreamy prince however he is as good :D and yes Angelababy as WeiWei is more active and more believable and seems to be a better fit too

@packmule3 go watch the movie version....u have a better WeiWei :)  the below link is suitable for you....hehehe it has Eng Sub :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I adore the movie version. And sorry, but I think BR is just hot. Totally fits my taste even when it is robbing the cradle :sweatingbullets:. And to be honest he is the way better actor than YY was then. Probably also partly because of the directing who was a bit weird in the Drama (the entire drama setting felt off and the hero was too perfect). AB who is marked as flower vase who can't act, truly can in this movie. She is incredible cute, dorky and even nerdy. A true WeiWei. Sorry but decent and overly shy Drama WeiWei I imagine rather brush her hair and cook instead be interested in computers or games. I'm curious if ZS had created an equal WeiWei when she was allowed to.

I really feel sad that there isn't any DVD from this movie available anywhere. I surely would rewatch it one time every year :wub:. And no, having a stream is not the same :phew:.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, angelangie said:

i will pick only happy ending for you lols :P 

Thank you. Sometimes I just want to have straight-up, no-nonsense, no-brainer happy endings.

In real life, I would have no use for a guy like Xiao Nai  but in my dreamscape (dream + escape world), sure why not?

It's a good thing that the girl is in the same business so they'll have something in common. But if she's in a different but equally demanding profession, say, the medical or legal field, which has its own track and hierarchy, then it'll be ridiculously hard to have a marriage without one of them yielding to the other. The heroine is willing to have her career take a backseat because they are both working towards the same goal: designing a game. However, a resident in the hospital or a clerk at the Supreme Court won't have the same luxury of putting her career on hold.... 

I’m not going to comment about the actors’ acting skills or physical beauty because that’s entirely up to viewers’ taste. Each reviewer will have his/her preferences, and since I’m not Asian and this is only my … hmmm… second? third? Chinese drama, I don’t want to be accused of being racist. :lol: 

One of my complaints about the story is the diminished financial literacy of the heroine. I like that she asserts her financial independence in the beginning, but towards the end, when she joins his company as an unpaid intern and later, as his life partner, she seems to regress and to allow him to make the financial decisions for them as a couple. 

While I understand that this story is pure romance, I'm concerned that this kind of arrangement sends a wrong message to young women to assume the traditional and dependent role. That is, let the big man deal with the money matters, and the little woman shouldn’t worry her head about it.  :crazy:  This mindset is fine and dandy because we're watching a romance, but in real life, this way of thinking isn’t optimal especially with this generation of working women.  

In the real world, I would add have added a caveat or a warning to the rom-com. To me, if the girl is going to help out significantly and take a daily role in the company after their marriage, then she should also have a voice in the business decisions (instead of just being a sounding board) and specific shares in the business profits.

True, it is Nai’s company but perhaps a limited liability company (LLC) will work after their marriage, so they can protect their large personal assets from any potential liabilities, like business debts. Moreover, if something happens to him, she should be able to step in and make decisions on his behalf for the company. 

But then, all this is my VERY unromantic side talking, so feel free to ignore my unsolicited advice. :D

Will wait to hear more recommendations from you. No rush because the other ladies and I are still gushing over this one. lol. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, packmule3 said:

In real life, I would have no use for a guy like Xiao Nai  but in my dreamscape (dream + escape world), sure why not?

we never find someone like that in real life....anyway in drama land why not? main reason we watch drama was to escape from the real life anyway ....for me at least :) 

4 hours ago, packmule3 said:

I’m not going to comment about the actors’ acting skills or physical beauty because that’s entirely up to viewers’ taste. Each reviewer will have his/her preferences, and since I’m not Asian and this is only my … hmmm… second? third? Chinese drama, I don’t want to be accused of being racist. :lol: 

lols.....oh well i never really care or judge about the artist acting skills much....as i dont set any bar for anyone lols... as long as they can convince me or at the very least my eyes can accept it then....that its lols :D 

4 hours ago, packmule3 said:

True, it is Nai’s company but perhaps a limited liability company (LLC) will work after their marriage, so they can protect their large personal assets from any potential liabilities, like business debts. Moreover, if something happens to him, she should be able to step in and make decisions on his behalf for the company. 

i think u will prefer the movie version better for this....as it show the struggle for XiaoNai before they make it big....and WeiWei and the rest of the 3 buddies was right in there with XiaoNai to make it work.....

i really got to thanks @caranita for this....as she was the one who pointed out the movie version.....and somehow i prefer the way it was projected in the movie version better.....as it show a more independent WeiWei and wasnt so soft.....i mean girls who play games arent not that soft spoken to begin with lols......maybe in my mind sets.....

no offense to those lady like girls lols....im sure there are more....girls player out there :) 

8 hours ago, usagi1997 said:

I adore the movie version. And sorry, but I think BR is just hot. Totally fits my taste even when it is robbing the cradle :sweatingbullets:. And to be honest he is the way better actor than YY was then. Probably also partly because of the directing who was a bit weird in the Drama (the entire drama setting felt off and the hero was too perfect). AB who is marked as flower vase who can't act, truly can in this movie. She is incredible cute, dorky and even nerdy. A true WeiWei. Sorry but decent and overly shy Drama WeiWei I imagine rather brush her hair and cook instead be interested in computers or games. I'm curious if ZS had created an equal WeiWei when she was allowed to.

I really feel sad that there isn't any DVD from this movie available anywhere. I surely would rewatch it one time every year :wub:. And no, having a stream is not the same :phew:.

when i didnt watch the movie version i'm awestruck with the drama version however after watching it i feel that the movie version definitely had a better story lines.....

however one think.....YangYang fit a better avatar for XiaoNai....i think BoRan avatar doesnt look that good with White hair lols.....maybe cause YangYang is almost like person who walk right out of a manga to begin with for me :) 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Okay, I'll put that movie in the queue.  Thanks!

I found the long hair of the male avatars in the game spooky.  It took me awhile to get used to them visually.  Thank goodness, the hair wasn't stringy and disheveled. I dislike greasy and messy hair on my actors. I feel like sticking my hand through the screen and running a comb through their hair. 

I've gotten used to kdrama style of acting but since this is a new world to me, I'm keeping an open mind when it comes to acting. It's kinda like ballet. Even if the Bolshoi company and the Mariinsky (or Kirov) company are both Russian, there are differences that I connect with each one. For me, Bolshoi is more powerful and passionate ballet with exuberance and Mariinsky is more about elegance and refinement, and emoting feelings even just with the finger and wrist movements. 

So same thing with dramas and the directors' different style and approach. I'm patiently waiting till C-drama clicks with me. :) I'll learn...

• LOL 1

On 2/17/2019 at 12:16 AM, angelangie said:

lols

u should continue.....the whole campus girls will always go gaga just looking at him :D 

lol. That's the part I didn't really like. I mean, is not like he is a goddess?! lol jk.

I do love the bromance between ZZB's character and the one friend though :)!!!

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, rosierosie said:

lol. That's the part I didn't really like. I mean, is not like he is a goddess?! lol jk.

oh....u mean ZBB with MoCha? i think so lols the character in the drama is more manga like compare to the movie version....maybe u like the movie version better 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rosierosie said:

Funny thing is that this is the only Drama I found ZBB looking hot. And the Bromance was so hillarious. They would have made such a believable couple. :w00t:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

5 hours ago, usagi1997 said:

Funny thing is that this is the only Drama I found ZBB looking hot. And the Bromance was so hillarious. They would have made such a believable couple. :w00t:

really....i found him hot in Peach Blossom :D 

back then i didnt even knew he was ZBB

• Like 2

13 hours ago, angelangie said:

really....i found him hot in Peach Blossom :D 

back then i didnt even knew he was ZBB

Yes, he was hot in PB!!! I thought he was gonna be the lead in PB!! His acting was good and he is handsome in the first few episodes of PB, he got me hooked!! And then I saw Yehua, and everything changes lol. He was good in The Flame's Daughter too.

• LOL 1

Haha...his role was too moody for me in TMOPB.:ph34r: 
His acting until now, never left me hanging. He delivers. I would love to see him in a comical role again.

• Like 1