Seiran029

[Current Drama 2016] Hwarang 화랑 | Starring: Park Seo Joon, Go Ara and Park Hyung Sik

3,539 posts in this topic

Posted

@dani4lane may i know which posts exactly you're referring to with regard to the bashing of psj? i haven't really seen any posts that bashes him. also, since this is hwarang thread, shouldn't it be open to posts to all characters/actors involved in hwarang?

@jechoi1 agree with each and every single point, most especially the bromance and love story. i would have wanted to see more about the journey of the boys and their growth. for the love story, the chemistry is just not there. 

8 people like this

Posted

finished reading three last page and just want to say i love Ahro and enjoy her scene with or without SW/SMJ :blush: and i really enjoy Hwarang so much that make me uneasily waiting monday for come... when Hwarang end i think i cry a river cause dont know when i can see my three lead together again :bawling:

6 people like this

Posted

4 eps to go....reveals please!!   As for me, I am invested in the drama, and am equally appreciative of the two lead men and the characters they play.  Plus they both sing well, whoa. :)   That said, I also respect all opinions. 

SW was an unwilling "king" and knows it, but only spoke up because of Ahro.  He never thought it would open up a pandora's box--being a decoy open to assassination, threats to both himself and Ahro, politics, king makers and an identity still not revealed at this point.  

SMJ had already told SW that what if the King did not know/realize that people were being killed because of him?   It will sink in to SW.  And they wil be friends and allies for life.  I trust in this.  The drama is not a heavy one, intended to entertain and not end up a tragedy. 

BR?  He needs to be his own man.  His adoptive father is powerful and he knows it.   A promise to be king, or a prince, is tempting,   But he probably does not realize how much of a villain the man really is, at this time.   Am still hoping that he will change his mind when he learns that the evil man withheld medicine to let the epidemic spread more for political and financial gain.  BR was also witness to common folk  who died mercilessly at Baekje, and even within the Silla side of the border.   His roomies, one of which is a friend who was injured,  with a sister he likes,  and one of which is the real King, will eventually weigh as well. 

The princess intended for SMJ:  they do intermarry in the era, to preserve the sacred bone.  SMJ himself was a product of intermarriage, for real (i googled Jinheung). 

9 people like this

Posted

@mz4jun : it's not our fault that we come to like Sam Maek Jong as a character and Park Hyun Sik the actor more after this drama. The heart like what it like.

As I read from at least 10 pages, Most of the viewers and commenters here are not PHS fans, most don't know him before and most watch it because of Park Seo Joon. But as the story unfold, people fall in love with his character and related to his character the most. He is the dark horse. Nobody expect him to win people's heart over Park Seo Joon. 

I think a big part of it because of PHS ability to convey his inner turmoil with his eyes and facial expression perfectly. (His regal apperance and kingly behaviour in this drama make me curious about his real life personality and as I see some of his interviews, he is so different from SMJ. SMJ is manly but PHS is cute). It make me search for his other drama to see if he is also that good before (and he is. I've watch high society last week while waiting for new episodes, and he also steal the spotlight from the main lead there).

Honestly, I can't force my self to talk about sunwoo, because I don't find him interesting enough but I am 100% sure I never bash him or Park Seo Joon here. (PSJ is so handsome in the recent pictorial btw :wub:. he looks 10 times hotter in the modern clothes then he is in shila clothes)

17 people like this

Posted

Btw I found this,I think that's why they're change the title from,hwarang the beginning to hwarang the poet youth warriors 

Spoiler

In 576 B.C.E., the Hwarang Organization was established. "Hwarang" is most often translated as "Flower Knights" or "Flower Youths." Hwa is the Sino-Korean (hanja) character for flower or the act of blooming. Rang means "man," sometimes used as a suffix in Silla official titles. The term "Hwarang" does not literally indicate "youth" or "boys;" the Samguk Yusa differentiates between the male and female Hwarang through a change in the second character.

According to the Samguk Sagi and Samguk Yusa, two bands of females called Wonhwa (원화, 源花, "original flowers") preceded the Hwarang. Both sources record that during the reign of King Jinheung, groups of beautiful girls were chosen and taught filial and fraternal piety, loyalty, and sincerity. However, the leaders of the two bands of Wonhwa, Nammo (南毛) and Junjeong (俊貞), grew jealous of one another, and the groups were disbanded when Junjeong murdered her rival. At some point after this, according to the Samguk Yusa, the Silla king, "concerned about the strengthening of the country … again issued a decree and chose boys from good families who were of good morals and renamed them hwarang."This suggests that the Hwarang were not originally military in character, as the Wonhwa were not soldiers.

The establishment of Hwarang was intended to assist in tightening central state control, and in increasing harmony and compromise between the king and the families of the aristocracy.The Hwarang later played an important role in the unification of the three kingdoms.

8 people like this

Posted

54 minutes ago, Yongzura said:

The scene between SW and SMJ's conversation when both did not go home although they have their day off:

(Translation taken from one of the online site)

SMJ: Why are you here?T

SW: And you?

SMJ: I had nowhere to go.

SW: Me neither.

[A friendly vibe, till SMJ's next word]

SMJ: I am pretty good looking for a King, am I not?   Every one else say you are the King but you seem to still think I am.

SW: Did you live like this all your life? [SMJ, turned with a surprise facial expression and the BGM coming in] That King, I mean.  Worrying if someone will try to kill him.  Worrying if people around him will get hurt.  Being too worried to sleep.  It was like that for me.

SMJ: That cannot be all.  

SW:  If not?  Would he think about how to make the world more of a mess or if it is possible for just the King to fill himself.

SMJ:  How could the King who was never treated like a King ever think of things like that?

SW:  That King  [looked disbelief] can relate to people?

SMJ: Not that he knows the people.... [pause]  but he probably lived like one of them

SW: [turned to look at SMJ] I heard that the King who lived like one of the people kills anyone who sees his face. [clenching his fist]

SMJ: That is right! [looking right back at SW intensely] Probably .. He may have found out later or passed by without even realizing it.   But most of the time, he probably did not know someone died because of him because he is stupid, foolish and too weak to say not to kill them.

SW:  And what can a King like that do? Can he change the world? Why must he still be alive? Why must he still be alive?

SMJ: Do you want to kill him?  Then kill him! [Facing each other]

I like it when they translated in into a "third person singular" from the beginning of their conversation but the KBSWorld translate it into the "second person" like in the preview of ep. 16 .. thus sound stronger here. Hmm I'm not sure which is the exact translation...

SW: What can the King do? Why are you still alive? Why aren't you dead yet? 

SMJ: You want to kill me? Then kill me!

Love both actors who are able to portray the characters and situation well.  As in my previous posts and also some of the members here... they referred to the characters who have their similarities and differences that complement each other. Looking forward to that future scene.

I love this scenes and and Princess- SMJ scenes the most in ep. 16. 

the dialogues were perfect for both scenes, both sunwoo and the princess reveal that they know SMJ is the king in a firm way, no doubt at all and SMJ confirm it. 
SMJ even turn to face sunwo and dare him to kill him if he really want to. Great acting from all three of them

9 people like this

Posted

33 minutes ago, dani4lane said:

I agree with everything you said!!!!!  Off topic, but did you write the article at mydramalist about Park Seo Joon? If you did, I just wanted to say thank you for that because PSJ deserves so much more love and recognition that he is woefully not getting in this pathetic thread and from the posters here. I don't hate PHS or SMJ either but I could take a lot less gushing over him and the character of SMJ. I started this drama for  purely for PSJ and continue to watch for him. Trust me when I say this if it wasn't for him I would've never watched this drama at all.  

Actually, I wrote the article at mydramalist. It was because from the beginning of this drama till now, there is so much hype over PHS and little recognition for PSJ. That's what drove me to write that article. 

I am glad to find someone like me. :):)

5 people like this

Posted

45 minutes ago, kaiskloset said:

again, gentle reminder to all,

please respect each other's difference of opinion.

As mod @jeijei stated in thread warning in page 114,

"If you guys continue to ignore proper decorum,

we will be forced to lock the thread to avoid further quarreling. "

I don't know if its my place to say this but I feel that the moderators have been too lenient with posters here because there were a bunch of posts written after that thread warning was given on page 114 that bashes PSJ, Go Ara and the characters of Sun Woo and Ah Ro especially. I don't see a single moderator doing anything about this when there a posters that are clearly breaking the rules. Also, if it's possible those posts could & should be deleted, they do nothing but breed more negativity in the thread. When there is just a cesspool of negativity nobody should have to deal that.  There may be fans of PSJ, Go Ara, their characters and of the Sun Woo/Ah Ro loveline but they don't post or even come here because they feel alienated due to the negativity and that's really sad.

This is the first time that I have ever seen a situation like this in a drama thread and it makes feel like I can't wait for Hwarang to be over so that I do not have deal with the bashing anymore.

3 people like this

Posted

50 minutes ago, fionnoula said:

@mz4jun : it's not our fault that we come to like Sam Maek Jong as a character and Park Hyun Sik the actor more after this drama. The heart like what it like.

As I read from at least 10 pages, Most of the viewers and commenters here are not PHS fans, most don't know him before and most watch it because of Park Seo Joon. But as the story unfold, people fall in love with his character and related to his character the most. He is the dark horse. Nobody expect him to win people's heart over Park Seo Joon. 

I think a big part of it because of PHS ability to convey his inner turmoil with his eyes and facial expression perfectly. (His regal apperance and kingly behaviour in this drama make me curious about his real life personality and as I see some of his interviews, he is so different from SMJ. SMJ is manly but PHS is cute). It make me search for his other drama to see if he is also that good before (and he is. I've watch high society last week while waiting for new episodes, and he also steal the spotlight from the main lead there).

Honestly, I can't force my self to talk about sunwoo, because I don't find him interesting enough but I am 100% sure I never bash him or Park Seo Joon here. (PSJ is so handsome in the recent pictorial btw :wub:. he looks 10 times hotter in the modern clothes then he is in shila clothes)

It may not be your fault but it is your responsibility and the responsibility of the other posters in this thread to not make it feel like its only a place for SMJ and PHS fans only. I have seen no major discussions about the storyline or the other characters, or if there were talk about the other characters it was a sentence here or there. This thread in my honest opinion is not inclusive. 

1 person likes this

Posted

30 minutes ago, fionnoula said:

I am with you on this. I came to watch "Hwarang" in the first place because I always love sageuk genre and since I have grown tired of Joseon sageuk, I find Hwarang very refreshing. Of all the casts, I recognized Park Seo Joon the most from "She Was Pretty" and "Kill Me Heal Me" and ofc, Min Ho from SHINee. I did not even know Park Hyung Sik, never heard of him and seriously, when the posters and stills came out, I even made fun of him (okay, the stills were bad because he looked so much better in motion) and the rest of the casts.

SMJ eventually grew on me, so I started checking on PHS' works and become a fan. My second favourite Hwarang is Yeowool but his character has been disserviced greatly that I barely have anything on him to talk about. I agree with you, I don't find Sun Woo interesting (not Park Seo Joon's fault, it's writing issue)  so I have nothing to say about him and I can't bring myself to discuss about him.

The fact is, this kind of thing is down to every single person' preference. When you find someone in here who share the same common interest with you, surely you have plenty more to discuss and it just happened that over here, there are so many SMJ's fans who turn into PHS' fans. It's the matter of who actually left an impression on you and evidently, it's Park Hyung Sik and Sammaekjong.

It's baffling why we can't talk or gush about PHS when he is one of the major actors here and then, can't even talk or gush about SMJ when he is the second biggest character of Hwarang. But no worry.....now we have an official Park Hyung Sik's thread and we are glad to bring our gushing and camping there. We could not do so before this because the thread was still under construction.

13 people like this

Posted

21 minutes ago, dani4lane said:

It may not be your fault but it is your responsibility and the responsibility of the other posters in this thread to not make it feel like its only a place for SMJ and PHS fans only. I have seen no major discussions about the storyline or the other characters, or if there were talk about the other characters it was a sentence here or there. This thread in my honest opinion is not inclusive. 

I respectfully disagree with you. 

15 people like this

Posted

24 minutes ago, lyserose said:

It's baffling why we can't talk or gush about PHS when he is one of the major actors here and then, can't even talk or gush about SMJ when he is the second biggest character of Hwarang. But no worry.....now we have an official Park Hyung Sik's thread and we are glad to bring our gushing and camping there. We could not do so before this because the thread was still under construction.

I am happy that we have Park Hyun Sik Thread. Will come there regularly to get more updates on his next project from now on. Thank You. :heart:

But we should still be in this thread at least until the drama end @lyserose. Wouldn't let my self be expelled from this thread because someone dictate on what should and shouldn't be said here. We talk about a drama and a character in a drama that we love, there's no prohibition in it in this thread, as long as we being polite.

I hope our friends here also take into consideration that constructive critism (or any critism at all) to the actors, actress, writers or directors is very much different from bashing. Not every bad things said about your favourite character/actors can be lumped into bashing.

Some of them even said they dislike Sam Maek Jeong and his actions again and again and again and no finger pointed at that poster. We let her be :lol:.

If you dislike a post simply skip reading it. That's what I've been practicing everywhere on the internet, save your time and your blood pressure :D

15 people like this

Posted

2 minutes ago, Ainee Etp said:

Andweeeeee....stay here. This thread will not be moving as fast if you are not here guys. 

(I want to open only one thread for hwarang for practical reasons lolol.)
We only have 2 more weeks, let's just be patients then we can get out of this thread for good  :heart:.

7 people like this

Posted

If we don’t love someone too much or much more than we love the other one, story-wise, I think the writer do the good job in distribute the plots to both SMJ and SW. In one episode, it was pour toward SMJ. Then another episode, more was pour toward SW. I find it is just as the two are the lead roles in this drama. I also find it a little uneasy reading comment why SMJ/PHS got so little screen time or little or unimportant storyline in some episodes.  

I really like the way @hazeljrr_c922 wrote about SMJ and SW:

One is rough around the edges by nature,  uncouth,  having been brought up the way he was,  with no name and unknown parents, in a place  where life was harsh and survival was the name of the game.   Hwarang brought out that innate leadership.    The other is refined, rich, educated, trained and overprotected to the point of being hidden incognito;   with a mother putting him down,   he has an issue with  confidence,  and fear instilled, that the king could be killed even before his reign.    They are polar opposites, in a sense. 

Their similarities:  without a name and assuming the identity of his dead friend gave MM/SW an  entitlement that  enabled him  to be in Hwarang.   Without a known face and assuming the name Jidwi,  allowed him  freedom  to join Hwarang.

All set ups --joining hwarang, the characteristics and complexity of the people surrounding them, everything that was good or  bad, rich or poor,  friend or foe,  the politics,  the  statement of the king being within hwarang,  seeing the blood of a friend, comrade,  and common people,  are a learning process, developing the future king to be the Great Jinheung, and the other, hopefully be a great warrior for and ally of the king.  The two of them do make a formidable team when they work together.”

For PHS, I impressed the most at how he expressed his emotion (his eyes) after the time he threw his sword to the target which he already hit with all his arrows. That one was the best for me.

However, I have my bias too. I kind of like the character of SW, brave, bold, blunt, strong will, and dare devil type J with a soft warm heard.  I feel pity for him as he has been living lowly and difficulty since very young.  Particularly in episode 15-16, my heart break for him watching the Chief/teacher (sorry forgot his name) looking at him once he heard Chang CP called him Kind Jinheung.  And many other times, the look he gave SW seem so ‘dislike’. Why? He is one of your students and also a good one, too. I can understand that he knows who is the King and he supports the King. But treat and guide the other student, especially SW well, too. Be a good and fair school principal, will you, please??

By the way, is tomorrow Monday???  J J :tongue:

I am hooked on this drama waiting to know how this many tangling things will be revealed. Particularly, who is SW? Why Aro’s father looks so … (don ‘t know what word to describe his facial expression).. concern, uneasy, probably? The princess, why she said in preview that Aro is so greedy (hope I am wrong here). Is she a good person? Ban-ryu, is he really turn bad?  Who is Yeo-wool?

Ahhh… too many days of waiting !!!

(long post... sorry!)

9 people like this

Posted

41 minutes ago, dani4lane said:

if you think that there are no discussions regarding other characters, then why don't you start one? posters tend to post/reply to topics which interest them so you cannot exactly take it against them for posting on topics. thing is, the interest of most posters are not in agreement to your own interest. the posters have the right to give constructive criticism, not bashing, those two are completely different things, or praise to all the actors that are involved in this drama and not just the main leads. why should the smj/phs fans leave thus thread and move to phs's thread when their post is related to the character of smj (who is a big part of the drama)? 

on topic, i'm really disappointed that the writers had severely underutilized yeo wool. his character is very interesting, yet we barely see him.

10 people like this

Posted

1 minute ago, jjoy84 said:

on topic, i'm really disappointed that the writers had severely underutilized yeo wool. his character is very interesting, yet we barely see him.

I agree...Yeo Wool is such an interesting character with an interesting background. I forget, but I get this impression that he is also a sacred bone if not half sacred bone ?? He know so much about the palace life, the political dynamic and the people involved. 
He is very perceptive, insightful and a good judge of a character. It's a pity we don't see more of him and his opinion on the whole ahro-sunwoo relationship (is he or is he not her brother), or Is sunwoo the real king or there's another man that he suspect to be the one.

Remember, He can read who the princess like among all the hwaran by only one look at her. This guy is interesting

13 people like this

Posted

since posting gone awry and out of control. continue hatred towards posters, members and even actors,

this thread is TEMPORARILY LOCKED until further notice.

7 people like this

Posted

25 minutes ago, kaiskloset said:

since posting gone awry and out of control. continue hatred towards posters, members and even actors,

this thread is TEMPORARILY LOCKED until further notice.

ADMINISTRATIVE UPDATE

After investigating the recent flux of reports coming from the Hwarang thread,

the Soompi community staff has determined that this thread will be temporarily locked for 72 hours.

The thread will be heavily inspected during the downtime.

Anyone who breached Soompi's Terms of Service or our community rules will be subject to various consequences.

The thread will re-open on February 12, 2017 (Midnight - Eastern Standard Time -05:00 GMT).

10 people like this

Posted

Do Ji Han (Actor) phone call with Taehyung Translation

TH: Hello?

JH: Hello.

TH: Yes.

JH: Taehyung-ah, where are you?

TH: I’m going to our maknae Jungkook’s graduation for a bit right now.

JH: Congratulations, Jungkook-ssi.

TH: Why? Where are you, hyung?

JH: Hyung is doing an interview right now…

TH: Okay.

JH: Hyung is gonna ask you something.

TH: Okay. JH: Within [the Hwarang cast], who is the most handsome?

TH: In between us?

JH: Yeah.

TH: Between my hyungs?

JH: Yeah.

TH: Hmm…I think it’s Minho-hyung. (Clip: It’s not Banryu*) It’s not hyung, though~?

JH: Bye.

TH: No, it’s hyung, it’s hyung.

JH: (To staff) You heard that right? Thank you, Taehyung-ah.

TH: Okay.

JH: Hyung will call you later, okay?

TH: Okay, I got it.

JH: Taehyung-ah, I love you~!

cr: http://allforbts.tumblr.com/post/157134842904/do-ji-han-actor-phone-call-with-taehyung-th

10 people like this