Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

t3n5h1_chu_k015h173

[movie 1999] Shiri 쉬리

Han Seok Kyu, Choi Min Sik, Kim Yoon Jin

shiri.jpg

Shiri 쉬리 (1999)

Starring: Han Seok-Kyu, Choi Min-Sik, Kim Yoon-Jin

Director: Kang Je-Gyu

Genre: Action, Romance

Runtime: 124mins

Production: Kang Je-Gyu Films

Distribution: Samsung Pictures, Samuel Goldwyn Films

Language: Korean

Ryu and Lee are special agents of O.P., the nation's top secret intelligence service. The arms smuggler Lim is shot by a sniper in the street one day after volunteering to tell them some important information. From the scene of Lim's death, Ryu instinctively suspects the involvement of Hee, the best sniper of the 8th Special Force Unit of North Korea. She has previously assassinated many government officials and hid herself from the unrelenting pursuit of Ryu. Now she's back after one year.

Ryu and Lee investigate the death of Lim. In the process, they learn that Hee had tried to secure into her possession the CTX, the liquid bomb newly developed by the National Defense Lab with the help of Lim. Meanwhile, Park and the elite agents of the 8th Special Force succeed in seizing the CTX while it is being transported to the corps headquarters. While everyone is trying hard to retrieve the CTX, director Ko, Ryu and Lee are suspicious of each other, creating a delicate and suspenseful situation. While the situation eludes solution, the date set for the marriage of Ryu and Hyun approaches quickly. But their marriage may be another sign of impending misfortune.

Shiri recorded the Top Box Office in Korean Film history, breaking the Korean Box Office record of Titanic after 57 days in release. The unique combination of 51% action, 49% love helps Shiri become a movie that excites all strands of the audience's sensibility without a moment of relaxation!

SOURCE : 쉬리

쉬리

쉬리

쉬리

쉬리

Moué....

It's not really boring to watch, but there's no originality, no talent, no ambition, no personnality,... nothing. Nothing but usual terrorist stories with basic psychology whe always see in US movies and usual romances whe always see in korean movies ^^ Plus big "tatatin" music and circular traveling we always see ... (etc, etc...)

In one word, it's a good movie for pizza+beer+pop-corn evening, not for anything else :tongue2:

Like it or not, Shiri is the highest grossing movie in Korean cinema history. It also paved the way for a more market driven productions and leading to many more blockbusters which successfylly penetrated the Asian (HK, Taiwan, Japan) and American market.

On the whole, this movie is exeptionally good. Although one may argue that there is too much violent but the theme and object of the movie is to project violence as it is. Perhaps this movie is not for the regular movie goer but for someone who crave something more original without ssappy storyline, I'd say give it a go.

Also, I disagree with the poster above regarding the talentless cast. Choi Min Sik is an A List star which generates millions for the production house. His versatility and ambition is highly acclaimed. I have since followed his many other movies , and find him to be one of the most talented actor in the industry.

this movie really help kick off the korean cinema industry along with my sassy girl. it'd be wrong to not mention it. lol ^^. enjoyed it too. ^^

Perhaps this movie is not for the regular movie goer but for someone who crave something more original without ssappy storyline, I'd say give it a go.

Actually it is.

Except the fact that it's more violent (and not that much), Shiri isn't really different from most of the US blockbusters.

I really don't know where did you find any originality.

Also, I disagree with the poster above regarding the talentless cast. Choi Min Sik is an A List star which generates millions for the production house.

I never talk about the cast. When I said "no talent", I was speaking of the movie, the direction.

Choi Min-Sik is good and Song Kang-Ho is better.

By the way, I really don't care that he makes a lot of money. If it's the way you see a good actor, I'm affraid we don't have the same idea of the cinema.

It also paved the way for a more market driven productions and leading to many more blockbusters which successfylly penetrated the Asian (HK, Taiwan, Japan) and American market.

Of course.

It paved the way of what I hate the most on Korean cinema, which became a cinema of blockbuster and that's all (see what I said on the tread of The Host). And for one really good (Welcome to Dongmakgol for exemple) a lot are really disapointing (The Host) and the most are awfully bad (The king and the clown, Bittersweet life,...). Now, the korean cinema do not existe outside the blockbuster industry, and it really hard to see movies like Memento mori, Nabi, Tears or Timeless, bottomless bad movie, which are inventive, talented, personnal, out of constraints and defenitely not for the regular movie goer.

This movie is probably the highest grossing movie in Korea.. with the exception of "Taegukgi" and "King and the Clown" maybe.

I was expecting it to be REALLY good because of all the hype, but I was a little disappointed when I watched it a few months ago. It was kind of boring and predictable for me (you know, kind of a typical Hollywood-style movie). But this might be because it's kind of an old movie. I'm sure it was probably pretty shocking back the days. It's worth a watch though. Good movie.

i actually like this movie. even though it ws gross, i dont think it would be that gross since i watched this when i was around 8 (: so yeah.

dont worry.

i thought this was pretty fun (:

I thought 'The King and The Clown' was the highest grossing movie after it took over TaeGukGi. And I think Monster is up there too.

Hmm ... either way, I enjoyed watching Swiri. I thought it was pretty good.

I never talk about the cast. When I said "no talent", I was speaking of the movie, the direction.

Choi Min-Sik is good and Song Kang-Ho is better.

By the way, I really don't care that he makes a lot of money. If it's the way you see a good actor, I'm affraid we don't have the same idea of the cinema.

Kindly quote me using my whole sentence/the whole paragraph. Being able to make a lot money is not the only reason why I say that he is a good actor. His versatility and ambition. You missed out that quote and makes it appear so superficial.

Actually it is.

Except the fact that it's more violent (and not that much), Shiri isn't really different from most of the US blockbusters.

I really don't know where did you find any originality.

Please be aware that this movie came out in 1999, and not many Korean movie goers were exposed to such genre as yet. We may look at it today and brush it off as another Hollywood wannabe, but this movie was a prime for its time. That is the difference when one watches a movie and relate it to the timeline when it was released. That is where the originality came from.

Kindly quote me using my whole sentence/the whole paragraph. Being able to make a lot money is not the only reason why I say that he is a good actor. His versatility and ambition. You missed out that quote and makes it appear so superficial.

Excuse me :blush:

But I had nothing to say about the rest, as I said Choi Min-Sik is a good actor.

What I wanted to say is that I wasn't speaking about the actor,... but the direction. I should have used brackets to speak about money, it was just an aside (but it was not the first thing I'll say about a "good actor").

Please be aware that this movie came out in 1999, and not many Korean movie goers were exposed to such genre as yet. We may look at it today and brush it off as another Hollywood wannabe, but this movie was a prime for its time. That is the difference when one watches a movie and relate it to the timeline when it was released. That is where the originality came from.

It may be original for a korean farmer from Kang-Nung, but for somebody who have seen Die hard and all its ersatz, it not a big deal IMHO.

The only "originality" of Shiri could have came from the korean issues (civil war,...), but it is only a pretext, it wouldn't have changed anything if it was iraki terrorists :mellow:

It paved the way of what I hate the most on Korean cinema, which became a cinema of blockbuster and that's all (see what I said on the tread of The Host). And for one really good (Welcome to Dongmakgol for exemple) a lot are really disapointing (The Host) and the most are awfully bad (The king and the clown, Bittersweet life,...). Now, the korean cinema do not existe outside the blockbuster industry, and it really hard to see movies like Memento mori, Nabi, Tears or Timeless, bottomless bad movie, which are inventive, talented, personnal, out of constraints and defenitely not for the regular movie goer.

^ Hmmm... Yeah, the blockbuster phenomenon is a little worrying since given Korea's limited screening venues - it would squash out other films, thus killing film genre diversity. But this could just be a temporary phase too since people in the movie industry are aware of what's going on. As long as you got the right people in place and not just people who are interested in making money (though hard to separate when it comes to the entertainment business) maybe some change can be seen for the better.

... lol... It also seems that hype is getting to you when watching the movies. relax a little...

But this could just be a temporary phase too since people in the movie industry are aware of what's going on.

I hope so.

(but not too optimistic)

PS

.. lol... It also seems that hype is getting to you when watching the movies. relax a little...

:sweatingbullets:

I confess.

Even in French I'm a little brutal, but it's possible that in english it sounds even more because I don't know all the words and expressions and so sometimes do it more savage than I want :blush:

I don't know how anybody sees the movie really violent. After watching the Vengeance Triology no action movie seems as violent as that. I enjoyed watching Shiri though. The director other film Taegukgi was much better.

After watching the Vengeance Triology no action movie seems as violent as that.

:huh:

IMHO the Vengeance trilogy is not as violent as that.

It is violent, especially compared with the standards, but in Park Chan-Wook cinema - and it's the same (even more) in almost all korean movies ; the "big ones" anyway - the violence is stylised and esthetised, and in a way it decrease the effect. Idem (more) with Shiri.

No comparison with directors filming the violence really brutally, for exemple Sam Peckinpah (in Straw dogs or Runaway in any case), Gaspar Noé or Kei Fujiwara,...

I thought it was a movie that was very similar to other high octane action movies, but yet it still remains a presonal favorite due to a) Being the 1st Korean film I ever watched (Bah... and when I watched it I had to watch with subtitles, how pathetic is that for a 12 year old kid who grew up with Korean XD) B) It showed how there is no difference between North and South Koreans. I really didn't understand that concept up until this movie. Or more so I didn't really believe it if you get what I'm saying. 3) I thought the cast's acting was very very good. (Not excellent although)

Now that I am older than 12 and I still have grown a little out of the whole shoot'em up scheme that I used to like, I still enjoy the Korean message they try to get across about the Korean race. That we are only seperated by political ideologies, and that for many South Koreans there are still connections to the North.

I thought it was definately worth watching, and as I see it there must've been a reason where it was the catalyst for revolutionizing the Korean film industry.

Overall 9.5/10 My first 한국 영화.

does anyone happen to know what "shiri" means in english? thanks in advance :P