Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shawscope

[movie 2005] Green Chair 녹색의자

Seo Jeong, Shim Ji Ho, Oh Yoon Hong
Anyone watched this? It seems a very short movie.. huh. Running time only 98 minutes.

V11152-D.jpgV11152K-D.jpg

greenchair.jpg

Green Chair 녹색의자 (2005)

Starring: Seo Jeong, Shim Ji-Ho, Oh Yoon-Hong

Director: Park Cheol-Su

Genre: Drama, Romance

Runtime: 98mins

Production: Hapdong Films

Distribution: MiroVision

Language: Korean

Mun-Hee (Seo Jeong, "The Isle"), a married woman in her thirties, has been arrested and convicted for having sex with an underage, Hyun. After being sentenced for 100 hours of social work, Mun-Hee is released only to find reporters hungry to sell her story to the press, and among them, Hyun is standing alone. Leaving those hyenas, the two head for nowhere and stop at a small hotel. Day and night they indulge into each other through endless sex. After five days of sex and enjoyment, Mun-Hee undergoes extreme change of emotion, and suddenly says goodbye to Hyun. However, Mun-Hee soon finds herself still lingering on to Hyun...

SOURCE : 녹색의자

녹색의자

녹색의자

녹색의자

녹색의자

녹색의자

Interesting film, especially in the final act, but a warning, there is a lot of very graphic sex in this one! It's not for the young'uns!

My quickie review:

I think it was Darcy's review over at koreanfilm.org that got me curious about "Green Chair". Weird little film, definitely has "art house" written all over it. There's a lot of explicit sex, especially in the first part of the film, but in the second half there's more character development as MoonHee and Hyun kind of settle down to live with her artist friend. He drives her to-and-from her community service with elderly women, he cooks dinner for the two ladies, they all make pottery together, they wait for him to turn 20 and become legally an adult.

I'm hard pressed to say why, but I actually liked this film. There's not really a climax per se (no pun intended) but if there were, it would be the cocktail party the trio throw for Hyun's 20th birthday, inviting everyone from his parents to the cop who arrested MoonHee to a weird high school girl who has a crush on the boy to one of the grannies from the nursing home. The scene runs like a stage play with the various characters giving their perspectives on the May-December relationship of the two leads, and of life in general.

It's enjoyable enough, but try as I might, I can't come up with what the "theme" or intention of the film makers was. Indictment of society for its treatment of women (she's punished but he isn't)? Social commentary on age-ism? Just an excuse for a sex-romp?

Take your pick.

Saw this movie last year and recommended to a friend.. Shim Ji-Ho..his feet..amongst other things, :P became our topic for the next few weeks.. ..Wish we would see more of him ..anyway..i sort of liked the movie..older woman , very young horny man theme..sexy cool.. ;)

great reviews mj!..

boy01.jpg

zehun_006.jpg

Shim JiHo..hmm... :rolleyes:..actually this pic was my avatar for a while then..after i watched Green Chair..hehe..!

Inez (or whoever else) since you've seen the movie, do you understand why the title is "Green Chair"? That's one thing I don't get!

Exactly..no 'green chair' to be found in the movie..(or was there one?..like they were on it?..)

I think it could be some kind of non-related title..euphemism?...Green chairs are mostly cold, uncomfortable plastic chairs..so is their relationship..

This movie i understand is based on a true story..I saw Seo Jong in 'The Isle' too..so disturbing scenes ..you know the part with the fishing hooks...??.. :blink:

Maybe I'll have to find some more reviews of the film to see if there's any reference to the meaning of the title.

SPOILER

I was also kind of confused by the ending. Did they stay together or not? I'm thinking yes, but for some reason the actress at the end looked really different!

eek! the fish hook movie, who could forget?? Seo Jeong is a remarkable actress, loved her dual roles in "Spider Forest" with Gam Woo Seung!

not a big fan of seo jeong and didn't particular find this movie interesting,

but i read in an interview, the director himself said there was no particular meaning to why the title is called 'green chair'. some reporter said he chose that simply because green is his favorite color and chair is one of his favorite inanimate object that's all.

i see this movie on commerical for the dvd or something but i was wondering if ko ara comes out? it looks like her but im not sure if it is her.

where would one watch this movie? I can't seem to get a hold of it.... thanks in advance!

where would one watch this movie? I can't seem to get a hold of it.... thanks in advance!

hi..you can get it in Veoh..i hope it's still there..

hi..you can get it in Veoh..i hope it's still there..

thank youuu ^^i'll go look for it there.