Quantcast

For all those we thought the writer had a lobotomy or the extension made drastic changes to the original story, can I bring up my favorite spoiler? 

I cannot find the article and I am too lazy to search for Jung Woong In's speech at Yong Pal press conference. But because I was annoyed with him for giving what seemed like a spoiler, it got real stuck in my mind. 

In the Press Con, Jung Woong In a.k.a. Chief Lee tried to defend his villainous character, me thinks :D He said Chief Lee actually saves Yeo Jin. And I remember going like "What did you just say??? That's a huge spoiler!" Then I thought he was pulling a fast one when he didn't save YJ in ep 6 but really cut her carotid artery. After that, he never came close to saving her and I just plain forgot. 

Now, can you see that this ending was planned from Day 1? Maybe certain things like CY revenge or DS Boss were due to the extension. But the writer had planned for Yeo Jin to be at death's door from the beginning and it was also planned that Chief Lee and TH would save her. Episode 16 where both went on to separate lives was never meant to be the ending. 

We subbed some of the press con videos.  He says something a little like that in this one, so maybe it was just a slightly different translation of what he said here?

I agree that not much of the overall story was probably changed with the extra two episodes.  I think the pacing went weird with all the uncertainty of extension?/no extension? that went on for so much of the show's run.  Smaller arcs and a few characters might have been added, but I do think the writer mostly stuck to his guns, for better or worse.  Mostly for better, in my opinion.  :)  Mostly.

• Like 6

@mrdimples -- My bah humbug comment was directed at the writer not at TH actually but I can see why you thought that. ;)

Yikes... too many responses to my comments... I'm supposed to be doing housework. :phew: I really shouldn't have posted so early. Eeek... my own stupid fault for dropping bombs so soon. More later.

Suffice to say,I'm okay with the ending really... Not mega happy but not unhappy. Just a bit rushed... 

I've always thought that we were headed for a happy ending. Nothing in the show suggested to me otherwise. Now that I've seen the the last two episodes I do think that keeping them apart even if for a fake 6 months did hurt TH's character a smidge. But it's okay, I always knew that he'd come back because that is more like the Yong Pal we loved.

Like most here, i'll just accept that they met each other half-way. That's how most marriages survive as long as they do.

Edited by 40somethingahjumma
  • Like 10

I need to do some activity to move on from yong pal and our otp now! but i still looking for it lol.. i feel sad yongpal already end.. gonna relieve my self first :P this forum already become quite a little lol

• Like 3

5 Stunning Makeup Looks From “Yong Pal”

5 Stunning Makeup Looks From “Yong Pal”

Yong Pal was arguably one of my most favorite dramas in 2015. With the sweet romance between Joo Won and Kim Tae Heethe not so scary gangster boss, and the bromance between Joo Won and his bodyguard, I loved every aspect of this drama.

Although the plot line and characters played a big role in the success of this drama, I think that the makeup of all the female characters is also an interesting facet of this drama. So here are five different makeup looks and the makeup products you can use to recreate them!

*SPOILERS ahead!

Kim Tae Hee Yong Pal

1. Unconscious Kim Tae Hee

I know it sounds weird. How can someone have makeup on while being unconscious? Well if you have a crazy nurse that puts makeup on you while you are in a comatose state I guess you could have gorgeous lipstick colors on like Kim Tae Hee. Putting the plot aside, Kim Tae Hee’s fuchsia pink lips are absolutely gorgeous against her pale skin.

If you want to recreate her lip color, check out the Innisfree Cream Mellow Lipstick in No. 9 Blueberry Burgundy. Unlike most lipsticks, this one is super moist just like Kim Tae Hee’s lips.

Cynthia Lee

1. Cynthia Lee

Although Cynthia Lee left the drama after episode four (with a return in the final episode), she was still one of my favorite characters. Stephanie Lee did an awesome job portraying the chill personality of Cynthia Lee. Even her makeup shouted cool and chic! She rocked her makeup with a focus on both her eyeshadow and her nude pink lips. In the drama, Stephanie Lee uses a lot of grey eye shadows in place of dark black eyeliner to accentuate her eyes. If you are looking for a grey eye shadow, I recommend the O HUI Real Color 5 Eye Shadow in No. 15 Platinum Gray. This eye shadow palette comes with different shades of greys making it easy to recreate Cynthia Lee’s signature eye shadow look.

Stephanie Lee’s makeup in the drama not only puts an emphasis on her eyes, she also has subtle statement lips. The model-turned-actress has a healthy tan to her skin, unlike most Korean actresses who are quite pale. Instead of nude beige which might make her look sickly, she rocks a gorgeous shade of nude pink. The slight pinkish tone is the perfect shade to bring focus to her eyes. One of my absolute favorite nude lipsticks is the Banila Co. Glam Muse Luster Lipstick in LBE 113 Nude Pink. My skin is also more on the tan side. Therefore, when I wear nude lip colors, it washes out my skin rather than complimenting my skin tone. However, this Banila Co. lipstick is the perfect balance between nude and pink. It gives me that neutral lip color that I can pair with a smoky cat eye anytime!

Nurse Hwang

1. Nurse Hwang

Nurse Hwang was definitely a unique character in the drama. For those of you who didn’t watch the drama yet, Nurse Hwang was in charge of taking care of comatose Kim Tae Hee. However, as she was taking care of Kim Tae Hee, she developed an obsession and began dressing Kim Tae Hee like her personal doll. Super creepy if you ask me. Maybe it was to make the character look creepier, but I noticed that Nurse Hwang always had thick eyeliner on, which is pretty unique for a K-drama character. She may have been creepy, but let’s be real. Her eyeliner game was always on point!

If you are looking for an eyeliner that’ll stay all day, I recommend the Tony Moly Easy Touch Gel Eyeliner. I know gel eyeliners can be harder to apply compared to pencil or liquid eyeliners, but I’ve come to realize that gel eyeliners are really worth the extra time they take. Once I apply this gel eyeliner and set it with a black eye shadow (powder), the eyeliner will not budge all day. In fact, it doesn’t even transfer onto my bottom lash line! This eyeliner is definitely one of my holy grail items!

Lee Chae Young

1. Lee Chae Young

I feel like all the female characters in this drama were uniquely designed and intricately played out by the actresses. However, Lee Chae Young (Chae Jung An) was definitely one character that I could not understand no matter how hard I tried. Once again, for those of you who have not watched this drama yet, Lee Chae Young is the wife of Han Do Joon, the CEO of Hanshin Corporation. Her character could not forget her first love and was never in love with her husband. However, as she witnesses her husband being killed in front of her eyes, she becomes loyal to her decreased husband and vows to get revenge.

Other than this character’s wishy-washy personality, one thing that stood out to me was her perfect gradient lips. Unlike the other female characters, Lee Chae Young stands out with a feminine gradient lip. Although you can achieve this look with a lipstick, I personally think that gradient lips should always be done with lip tints. My absolute favorite daily lip tint is the Etude House Fresh Cherry Tint. You can achieve this makeup look by simply applying the tint on the inner part of your lips. Because lip tints can be drying, you can apply a lip balm over your lips once the lip tint dries. Also, because this product will tint your lips for hours, you don’t need to worry about reapplying the lip tint after you put it on!

Kim Tae Hee 1

1. Vengeful Kim Tae Hee 

Although Kim Tae Hee is pretty evil when carrying out her revenge, you can’t deny the fact that she is pretty hot. Her cold and chic exterior paired with her genius plans truly made her the queen of revenge. Kim Tae Hee may be spiteful in the drama, but I was definitely attracted to her gorgeous lip color. The bright pigmentation of her bold fuchsia lipstick against her fair skin is absolutely stunning.

If you’re looking for the perfect fuschia color, I recommend the Innisfree Color Glow Lipstick in No. 6 Maple Burgundy Pink. These babies are so awesome that I ran to the store as soon as Innisfree launched them two years ago. The Innisfree Color Glow Lipstick is perfectly hydrating while providing a superb amount of pigmentation. The burgundy color is also perfect for this season when paired with a warm and fuzzy knit sweater!

Which of the five makeup looks is your favorite? Have you tried any of the products mentioned above? Don’t forget to comment below!

Gah... Soompi forgot two make-up look:

- Sick Kim Taehee

- Smart bow-tied Joowon

• Like 6

Finished watching the final episode! It's kinda rushed but at least it's a happy ending and not too clinche!

So in the end, TH says he is willing to go up to the 13th floor if need be. So, i can say that it's a compromising situation. YJ is willing to go down from her world while he is willing to go up to her. I guess TH and YJ finally knew what they really wanted and knew how much they meant to each other. YJ has a strong character and does not really express herself much which probably led to TH thinking that she doesn't need him. 6 mths they have been waiting for one another to make a move. At least the writer didn't make YJ die. Afterall YJ isn't that bad a person, she has no choice since the company was left to her to handle by her dad.

And it's a funny how those police officers ended up being the ones arresting the bad guys. The thing is.. Are they really captured? Anyway, I didn't expect another Yong Pal to appear and be a savior to YJ. Did the gangsters helped behind the scenes to get that YP there? Lol. Afterall it's a Yong Pal drama! The guy who makes a difference in lives. I liked the part when YJ says the person who calls you up from a nightmare is Yong Pal. Just like how it all started.

This drama has been a roller coaster ride thanks to the writer. It has shown me "How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.". As for the actors and actresses they are all awesome! I realised Joo Won is indeed an awesome actor. I've watched him in Good doctor, Bridal mask and now Yong Pal. He never fails to amaze me, especially when his eyes shows everything. And Tae Hee is great here as well. Gosh, every scene of JW and KTH is just sweet and heart-wrenching. Always make me teary seeing their scenes. How i wished there was some extra happy scenes of their happy life. Probably will just wait for some more BTS!

Anyway, it was fun reading the forums here. Will appear, when a next exciting drama appears. Back to reality and being a silent lurker.

Edited by ehqven
  • Like 14

For all those we thought the writer had a lobotomy or the extension made drastic changes to the original story, can I bring up my favorite spoiler? 

I cannot find the article and I am too lazy to search for Jung Woong In's speech at Yong Pal press conference. But because I was annoyed with him for giving what seemed like a spoiler, it got real stuck in my mind. 

In the Press Con, Jung Woong In a.k.a. Chief Lee tried to defend his villainous character, me thinks :D He said Chief Lee actually saves Yeo Jin. And I remember going like "What did you just say??? That's a huge spoiler!" Then I thought he was pulling a fast one when he didn't save YJ in ep 6 but really cut her carotid artery. After that, he never came close to saving her and I just plain forgot. 

Now, can you see that this ending was planned from Day 1? Maybe certain things like CY revenge or DS Boss were due to the extension. But the writer had planned for Yeo Jin to be at death's door from the beginning and it was also planned that Chief Lee and TH would save her. Episode 16 where both went on to separate lives was never meant to be the ending. 

I agree with you. I'm on the boat "it was always the intended ending." Episode 1 begun with an image of YJ sleeping and opening her eyes and it ended the same way. There are plenty of throwback and continuation from earlier episodes to show that writer-nim stuck to his gun and still work within his own frame of thoughts. 

This drama succeded on its own merits. Spot on cast, engaging storyline and good direction and cameraman work. As someone mentioned earlier it doesn't have grandeur promotion, or even idol cast to boost it up.

Good job Yong pal-i.

• Like 4

YP ending a bit similiar to dream high. I realize that kdrama ending is left open so there will be posibble to create another season. There are only some great ending in kdrama such as baker king, full house, and pinocchio.

Im looking forward to YP season 2 :) with the same actor and actress.

• Like 3

Not sure if anyone had watched Joo Won V app yesterday during the farewell party. He said that the ending of this drama was carefully and seriously discussed and decided by casts and writers. He also added that casts and writers chose the best for the ending.

Well, I guess production team and casts were well aware that many viewers and even they themselves had lots of worries on how the story will unravel with all the news about 4-eps extension and criticisms over the storyline.

With all the success this drama has given to SBS, I shall wait for SBS Drama Awards at year end to bring back our OTP together again with some awards for them at best and let JW sing a song though he didnt get the chance to sing an OST for this drama.

Will be back with more thoughts on 2 final episodes when I get to watch ep 18 with sub :)

• Like 16

Aye. I love YP, but watching it in real-time reminds me of why I avoid watching kdramas in real-time. I'll inevitably read recaps and comments and roll my eyes into oblivion. "This drama is so different from the first six episodes!!" As if they didn't complain about every. damn. episode. even before the drama even made it to air.

Anyway, I can't wait to rewatch and catch all the easter eggs they laid out for us.

• Like 10

Hello, Chingus

I just finished watching ep 18 with eng sub and I may say it was really nice touch for writer-nim to write it till the end. At least, he gave us a hint that YJ was still alive and he just ended it with a open ending like what's going to happened after that. 

However, I will miss watching this drama every Wednesday and Thursday and I will miss all of you with our debating in each episodes. Also, it's been really fun sharing ideas and watching the episode live with you guys and this is the best forum I ever joined so far. I'm getting all sentimental right now because I will miss everyone and part of me somehow still refused to know that this drama ends. I'm glad, I was part of this forum because we became all friends and I will miss stalking over here to see the updates haha. 

Well, I hope we could see each other on other drama.and be able to say it's been a long time in the future. Also, congratulations to all of us because we all graduate in this drama. :D

• Like 11

Morning..:wub:

Oh my I use the routine to check and read in here every morning..Miss the 14 floor teams..

I just want to know the last rating  for today....

Why I just feel alone...:tears:

its become quite lately haha! im still here mate! 

hi guys...14th floor team i miss  you.

loong lasting meeting and report preparation meke me haven't check this thread. 

Nice to know this place  still running. Haven't watched ep 17 n 18 with sub. I really need stress reliever.

• Like 6

Ok! My turn to watch it with subs. Will return with what I think thereafter. 

• Like 4

Thank you everyone! As much as I love Yongpal, I love this forum so much. I was a silent reader for more than two months. Though this drama has ended, I couldn't help but leave a comment here. This is my first time to comment in soonpi forum. I don't know Korean and you guys did help me a lot by recap all those ep. I knew i could watch it subbed later but you know how curiosity works right? I can't stand it and everyone here is a saver. This drama is so good for me and i got more excited from reading all your comments. 

Personally, I think the ending was a bit lacking and there're some dragging parts halfway but I still love it. I'm a big fan of Joowon and Kim Taehee. Their emotion was on point. I cried so much while watching the last few ep. But I'm quite satisfied that it's more likely a happy ending. Yeojin and Taehyun have each other and live happily since all those baddies had died and went into jail.

I'm sad now that this drama has ended. I think I will suffer a post-drama syndrome. I will miss Yongpal, everyone here and surely, our leads. 

Ps: sorry if I make some mistakes in writing, I'm not that great in English. :)))

Edited by Sodaneth Ngov
  • Like 14

i haven't watched ep 18, but judging on other comments and live recap yesterday, its kinda let me down.

this series start with Bang, continue with BOOM, romance with POW, but the ending is so MEH.. just not the right tune to end the story. Don't get me wrong, i love Yongpal and still can bear all the flaw, but eversince the drama fall to cancer trope and the brilliant heroine who can defeat one of Biggest Chaebol (Daesung), yet can't clean her own house. I feel the story just been dragging for the sake of extension.  

how can she kept the secretary who was her brother right hand, a proven traitor, and all the President who clearly after the money? in other hand, i see that TH character just exactly what the nurses said. He only know how to be a doctor. the one who save life. but when facing the other problem aside medical can say he's not too bright. The biggest mistake of his is leaving his wife drowning in swamp without any move to save her. Just one take, and done. He give up and wait till the day she surrender. 

Gah! i donno  if i will watch the last ep or not. I just can't take a GOOD story be end like this. 

But on bright note ; Happy to know you all chingus.. Hope we can meet in another 'SHIP'. right now, i'm signing of from Yongpal ship. It's been a journey :)

• Like 8

Did anyone see Chae Jung An unnie in the wrap up party? I saw all the cast except for her.

• Like 3

Did anyone see Chae Jung An unnie in the wrap up party? I saw all the cast except for her.

I saw her pic in Busan film festival or something so probably she couldn't attend.

• Like 4

i haven't watched ep 18, but judging on other comments and live recap yesterday, its kinda let me down.

this series start with Bang, continue with BOOM, romance with POW, but the ending is so MEH.. just not the right tune to end the story. Don't get me wrong, i love Yongpal and still can bear all the flaw, but eversince the drama fall to cancer trope and the brilliant heroine who can defeat one of Biggest Chaebol (Daesung), yet can't clean her own house. I feel the story just been dragging for the sake of extension.  

how can she kept the secretary who was her brother right hand, a proven traitor, and all the President who clearly after the money? in other hand, i see that TH character just exactly what the nurses said. He only know how to be a doctor. the one who save life. but when facing the other problem aside medical can say he's not too bright. The biggest mistake of his is leaving his wife drowning in swamp without any move to save her. Just one take, and done. He give up and wait till the day she surrender. 

Gah! i donno  if i will watch the last ep or not. I just can't take a GOOD story be end like this. 

But on bright note ; Happy to know you all chingus.. Hope we can meet in another 'SHIP'. right now, i'm signing of from Yongpal ship. It's been a journey :)

haven't watch with sub but i kind agree.

Call me watching to much romance drama where the otp could not be a part. But leave your  wife in a swap with sharp teeth crocodile for 6 month without notice her current condition, just make me wanna slap th a bit.

• Like 2

Ep 18. Tae Hyun should've rush to YJ the moment he found out she has cancer. a divorce paper and she's having cancer, it's something really serious that he need to talk to her face to face instead of letting CY bringing the message. And wow he still sat there in his office figuring thing out even after CY told him YJ really has cancer and doesn't have much time left. ( I was like come on just go to her already)

I'm still wondering why he call the police to catch those richard simmons when he hasn't really find out what's happening yet. 

The most important part that I wanted to see is when he got to see YJ, I wanted to see him broke town in pain seeing "how pitiful his beloved YJ is, saying sorry I should've stay by your side and watch your back" things like that... 

The last episode wasnt bad, it's just not WOW!! Like 16 and 17 I'm going to miss this drama... :) 

• Like 4

haven't watch with sub but i kind agree.

Call me watching to much romance drama where the otp could not be a part. But leave your  wife in a swap with sharp teeth crocodile for 6 month without notice her current condition, just make me wanna slap th a bit.

I know right??! I mean, he surrender himself in Ep 6 - taking a bullet to save YJ, but he's not strong enough to be her pillar in real world. Not to mentioned his taking side with CY so easily. And to know your wifey is sick just because it is in a news, just a flat dead tone to me.. But hopefully we will have different opinion to the drama once we watched it with subs.. 

• Like 3