Quantcast
RayAmbler7

Add and Subtract Game

@Jillia, just read your first impression post for GS. I think you may have inadvertently left out a thought since there is an incomplete concluding sentence at the end of the second paragraph.

I've been a bit iffy on the drama, and your first impressions reinforce the meh. :)  I will watch the first few episodes anyway, but so far, it seems as if it's about spoiled, rich kids. So, basically, more Bret Easton Ellis' Less Than Zero rather than Chodorlos de Laclos' Dangerous Liasions. Then again, perhaps the true difference between them is the betting on the sexual ruining of an innocent, and the willingness to toy with a pure heart.

To be frank, I did like some of the posters for GS, the moody noirish ones. However, in general, the feel of the styling and the sets that were shown weren't all that luxe either, more costume jewelry than the careless feel of the scion of the hyper rich where nothing including priceless items or honor mean anything since they have no understanding of limits, especially with respect to money and what money can buy.

I also have a minor quibble with the styling of one of the characters, but I won't go there.

Anyway, it sounds as if it was good enough for you to keep watching. I'll write something up once I've actually watched the episodes rather than just contemplating watching the episode. :) I do have this little niggle, though. What if I don't like my bae in this drama when I had been anticipating watching one of his projects again...?

+2

• Like 8

@stroppyse

Yes, I just noticed it as well. :D And I removed the sentence since apparently my mind wasn't ready to share the thought anyways. :lol:

I honestly liked the shadow posters much more than the main one with the roses in the back.

Also the production value is pretty average, even low. It doesn't look as good as other dramas these days. The teasers looked better than the product itself.

I'm not sure I would say I like it. But I like it enough to give it a couple more episodes a chance. Also I can say if the drama was about Shi Hyun's relationship with his father and him mourning after his beloved mother the drama would be 1000 times more appealing. :D

• Like 8

@Jillia, I was already 50-50 on the casting as it was. But now, I'm going to have to watch it for Shi Hyun, and he's going to break my heart, isn't he? Maybe I should go watch Mad Dog again before I start GS now that I know that MD has a happy ending while GS will most likely not have a happy ending. Re-watching MD would also relieve the stress of watching The Swindlers where... This is a true spoiler, so don't look at it if you're going to watch the movie.

Spoiler

YJT plays a villain

Or even Rescue Me or Man About The House. Not entirely sure why I keep coming up with reasons to push off watching GS, but my subconscious is probably telling me something. :D

+2

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

+2

14 hours ago, Lmangla said:

is there a drama that you absolutely positively and really despised? so much that you even want to avoid the actors?

8 hours ago, kokodus said:

I'm pretty sure @Dhakra has a extensive list of dramas that he absolutely despised. You will be here all night. LOL. 

Indeed, little sis, indeed. I certainly have a list of dramas I absolutely despise. And most of you know them! I openly live this hatred and anger against these dramas. I never go tired about spreading my displease about them. And I gladly explain in detail why I hate these dramas so much. I will just name the ones I openly hate with passion.

• Strong Woman Do Bong Soon
  • Coffee Prince

Gosh just mentioning SWDBS makes my blood boil. How can people actually like this pile of garbage? You remember the bomb scene at the end? Week after week I wrote @triplema Wall of Text about how much I hate this drama. It became my weekly task to rant about it.

The same goes for Coffee Prince, maybe not as strong as DBS.

And since then PBY is probably the only one who is on my blacklist.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

@Dhakra How was the Dreamcatcher concert ? 

Spoiler

SWDBS was not so bad in it’s first half . But I have to say it went downhill real fast after that . The issue is not so much the slapstick. The drama was just everywhere . It tries to be clever with its murder mystery but then it overdid the humour & cheesy parts. If a drama is going to go that direction - cheesy & slapstick it needs to stick to it’s guns & do that . It fell flat instead of genuinely being funny. If it wants to be a murder mystery , then it should have a tight plot for that. It’s a fantasy drama but some bits just didn’t click. Those Romeo & Juliet dreams . Laughs ! 

@stroppyse I have to say WDH is the main draw for me to watch GS, I have followed all his dramas since Sweet Stranger. He’s a truly talented & charismatic actor .  Reading @Jillia‘s post, seems pretty decent . 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Lmangla said:

here? in another thread? am off to catch some zzzz....

I forgot that we have discussion ideas thread here.  I should post it there. Hahaa... I also slept after posting it last night. Too late to ask everyone for playing ya. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

He sees her sprained ankle and felt quite apologetic toward her. So he suddenly grabs her hands, stopping her from riding her bicycle. The next scene shows him riding it while she was sitting on its back seat behind. The situation looks awkward among them. Once, then twice, the guy stumbles his bike and let the girl startled in panic getting a tight grip on his waist. Both feel something different between them. The guy didn't bother to nags her like he used to be, and the girl realized that she quickly pulls away her hands off his waist. Awww... this is so sweet.  

Could you guess what drama is this?

@Lmangla what do you think if we play this? 

Everyone?? 

+2

It's heartstrings!!!! LOL. PSH and JYH. If I were to start this drama now, I would definitely not last even for 2 eps. But back then I was too naive and sat through all 16 eps of this drama. I won't say it's a bad drama, it did have it's cute moments, many actually, but overall the plot was quiet meh, there was no plot at all honestly. LOL. 

And I really really reeeeeeallllllllllly love song!!!!!

Doesn't Yong Hwa looks angelic???? Eeeeeeeeeee

• Like 5

+2

42 minutes ago, triplem said:

@Dhakra How was the Dreamcatcher concert ? 

Hide contents

SWDBS was not so bad in it’s first half . But I have to say it went downhill real fast after that . The issue is not so much the slapstick. The drama was just everywhere . It tries to be clever with its murder mystery but then it overdid the humour & cheesy parts. If a drama is going to go that direction - cheesy & slapstick it needs to stick to it’s guns & do that . It fell flat instead of genuinely being funny. If it wants to be a murder mystery , then it should have a tight plot for that. It’s a fantasy drama but some bits just didn’t click. Those Romeo & Juliet dreams . Laughs ! 

A-m-a-z-i-n-g! A truely magical day & evening. It was very cold though, I almost froze to death, but I met a lot of nice people, hold the hand of my dreamgirl Yoohyeon for a few seconds and the concert itself went through my flesh and bones. It was just one huge party. 

Didn't I tell you that already? If not, I'm going to write you a more detailed version soon.

Spoiler

It was pretty average in the first half of the first half. It was good when Ji Soo's role actually had some purpose. 

The slapstick was the issue. It just was one of many issues. You can't do the same trick over and over again. The love story was poorly written, it had so many horrible moments. I could write a book about it. That weird double ganger, the temple, the fireworkbomb and oh god I could go on and on. 

If this drama wins "Drama of the Year" on soompi, then I promise I will delete myself instantly. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

@stargazer187 This is very bad.... I'm not even sure whether the scenario you posted is from heartstrings or not, but I went back in time and am watching all the OST mvs of that show. This makes me want to rewatch the show. And I blame you for this. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Heartstrings was actually one of my first kdramas that I watched. So many flaws in that drama, including the college musical that only has 2 numbers in the whole thing despite a geeenius director and a geeenius composer and a geeenius singer. LOL. However, YH looked good as Lee Shin, even if his acting was a bit stiff, though perhaps well matched by PSH's overenthusiastic overacting. The drama was really saved by the fact that JYH and PSH looked so good together, and that it felt like a classic boy meets girl story which I was in the mood for at the time. All the various kdrama tropes that were stuffed into that drama, though I didn't realize it at the time! Plus, it was actually my backdoor entry to CNBlue music which I loved.

Also, one of the strange things about watching this drama because, there is a scene where YH sings part of the Jason Mraz and Cobie Caillet song "Lucky" while playing guitar that I was actually impressed by when I saw it. I guess because of licensing issues, in some markets and versions, YH is singing one of the songs that were written for the OST instead in the scene.

And, yep, that means that I actually watched 2 versions of Heartstrings. Perhaps because it was one of my first kdramas, despite acknowledging all of its flaws, I still have a soft spot for it.

Oh, and YH's little sister, btw, was played by Moon Ga Young who is playing the evil girl in the Great Seducer. :)

• Like 5

@kokodus oh I like heartstrings too back then. You right... if it's now we might end up dropping it after 1 or 2 eps. Lol

Teng!!! You wrong! Heartstrings isn't the answer. I love that scenes a lot. It's when k-drama is not as brave as now, when skinships as more confident to be shown. 

+2

• Like 3