Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LavelyShai

[Drama 2013] Basketball( 빠스껫 볼)

bball4.jpgBasketball( 빠스껫 볼)Network: tvNAir date: September 2013Episodes: 18Air time: Mondays-Tuesdays at 22:00Director: Kwak Jung HwanWhere To Watch: DramaFever, VikiSynopsisSet during the turbulent years of the Japanese occupation until independence, and a few years before the division of Korea into North and South, the story is about the first and last time that Korea had a single, unified national basketball team, which made history by advancing to the quarterfinals of the 1948 London Olympics. The drama follows the loves, conflicts, unity, and emotional victory of young athletes who cling to to the sport as the bright spot in the darkness of their times.

Cast
fullsizephoto313585.jpg
Do Ji Han as Kang San Grows up in the late 1930s in a dirt-poor village, and dreams of overcoming a life of poverty and hardship by finding success as part of the national basketball team

bball5.jpg
Jung Dong Hyun as Min Chi Ho  Basketball star enjoying nationwide popularity. With his fame, he inspires pride and spirit in his compatriots in the midst of the difficulties suffered during the Japanese occupation. He and Kang San become rivals in basketball and love.
1002958_447072118722962_1439560551_n.jpg
Lee Elliya(Elriya?) as Choi Shin YoungComes from a rich family in the capital Kyeongseong (now Seoul) and attended school in Japan, after which she returns to Korea and begins working as a magazine reporter. Kang San falls in love with her despite the disparity in their social standing
re29tI75.jpg
YeEun(Wonder Girls) as Bong SoonAaid who speaks with a Chungcheong dialect. She came to work for Shin Young's family after her family lost its land during the Japanese occupation. She has a bright character and a knack at finding realistic solutions to problems

Other Cast Members:Ahn Suk HwanGong Hyung Jin
Jo Hee BongKIm Eung Soo
cr: hancinema.neten.wikepedia.org

Basketball period drama to air on tvNby javabeans 

bball1.jpg

Wait, there’s a drama coming up from tvN about basketball, and that’s in addition to the potentially-basketball-themed follow-up to Answer Me, 1997? We’ve seen numerous cases of parallel development of certain conceits in dramaland (time travel shows, fashion shows, sports shows), but those aren’t usually from the same channel.

Okay, so it turns out this basketball drama is going to bear absolutely no resemblance to that other one, in that it begins during the years of the Japanese Occupation, includes the winning of independence, and goes up through the division of the two Koreas. Not exactly the image that springs to mind when you hear the words “basketball drama.” Titled Basketball (spelled in Hangul in a quirky old way), the story follows young men who struggle to find a bright spot in the darkness of their times, and basketball becomes their “lamplight.”

Read more http://www.dramabeans.com/2013/05/basketball-period-drama-to-air-on-tvn/

Rival and love interest added to period drama Basketballby javabeans 

bball4.jpg

A few more cast members have been added to tvN’s basketball and 1930s/40s period drama Basketball, following the casting of Do Ji-han (Incarnation of Moneyas the lead, and are featured in their own character posters. Both these actors are relative rookies, which I actually find promising; I like that the show is staying low-key and not aiming for stunt casting.

Do Ji-han plays the main character Kang San, who grew up poor in a tiny village and finds success through basketball; he makes it all the way to the historic 1948 Olympic team that advanced to the quarterfinal round in Korea’s first and last single national team, just a few years before the peninsula divided. Playing Kang San’s rival is Jung Dong-hyun (pictured above) in the role of Min Chi-ho, a basketball star enjoying nationwide popularity. With his fame, he inspires pride and spirit in his compatriots in the midst of the difficulties suffered during the Japanese Occupation.

Naturally, the two boys also fall for the same girl, Choi Shin-young, who is played by a newcomer whose name I think is spelled Lee Elriya. (Apologies for errors; I was only able to locate one iffy source using an English spelling.) Even with a relatively fresh story, I suppose there are some fixtures you just can’t get away from in dramaland, and the hero-rival love triangle is one of them. Another fixture: poor hero, rich rival, rich love interest. Shin-young comes from a rich family in Kyungsung (now Seoul) and attended school in Japan, after which she returns to Korea and begins working as a magazine reporter.

So far this drama sounds fascinating; it’s got so much interesting stuff going on and a director who knows how to set a beautiful tableau. Basketball comes from Chuno and Runaway Plan B PD Kwak Jung-hwan and will air on tvN in September.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2013/05/rival-and-love-interest-added-to-period-drama-basketball/

Wonder Girls′ Ye Eun will be launching her acting career with the director of The Slave Hunters.

The singer has been cast as Bong Soon in the upcoming tvN drama Basketball, which is set to air in September. Bong Soon is a trusty maid, who stays by the side of the lead character Choi Shin Young (Lee Elijah) with her Chungcheong dialect.

37190003.jpg

She came to work for a rich family after her family lost its land during the Japanese colonization era, but she boasts a bright character and a knack at finding realistic solutions to problems.

Park Ye Eun said about her role, "I′m half-nervous, half-expectant about my first role in a Korean drama. I want to leave behind an impressing scene with director Kwak Jeong Hwan, who is known for his quality videos and pieces. At first I was confused because the role was tough and I had to use a dialect, but I came to feel affection for Bong Soon after thinking I would′ve lived the same live had I been born in the same era. I will work hard to put on a role that connects viewers to the rest of the piece with my friendly acting."

A rep from JYP Entertainment drew more anticipation by saying, "Park Ye Eun has been trained to act since 2009, when she was in America, and has gathered experience by appearing in American TV movies as well as Korean musicals in 2012."

"Park Ye Eun knows how to understand her character quickly, and her thoughts run deep," director Kwak Jeong Hwan said. "Her role is an important one, as she plays a big role in the story and even leads her own love line."

Basketball is director Kwak Jeong Hwan′s first piece in two years. It is about women and men who survive through Japanese colonization, the country′s independence and its division using basketball as a light to lead them.

It is partly based on the true story of how Korea entered a basketball team in the 1948 Olympics just before the country was divided into two.

Shooting will commence in June.

http://mwave.interest.me/enewsworld/en/article/37190

Drama Fever will be subbing this drama: http://www.dramafever.com/drama/4312/Basketball/

I am looking forward to this drama. Seems interesting as it is based on a true story. The cast are not well known. It will be good to see a drama partly based on the story than idol cast.

The Lead actor in this was totally hot in "incarnation of money". looking forward to seeing him in this, his first lead role ;;)

gene71632 said: I am looking forward to this drama. Seems interesting as it is based on a true story. The cast are not well known. It will be good to see a drama partly based on the story than idol cast.
@gene71632 I accidentally found out about this drama & found the plot to be interesting, since it's not highly anticipated I was shocked how quickly Drama Fever obtained the rights to sub it. I do like idol-actors..who can act, but I was surprised to see this cast is pretty much unknown which probably why there was no thread for this. The female lead is a rookie actress, but there's not much known about her or the spelling of her name. 

aladidah said: The Lead actor in this was totally hot in "incarnation of money". looking forward to seeing him in this, his first lead role ;;) @aladidah I never saw IOM, but I did read he was in that one. 

Thanks for starting this thread! I am really keen on watching this since it sounds like an interesting time period. The basketball is besides the point :P. I like that the hype is low-key too. 

ocdee said: Thanks for starting this thread! I am really keen on watching this since it sounds like an interesting time period. The basketball is besides the point :P. I like that the hype is low-key too.  @ocdee Sometimes a low-key drama is best :)

aladidah said: The Lead actor in this was totally hot in "incarnation of money". looking forward to seeing him in this, his first lead role ;;)

I'll post more info about the actors since they're pretty much unknown..well minus Yenny

Do Ji HanDo-Ji-Han-1.jpg
He is 21(22 Korean age) and under Yuleum EntertainmentPrevious dramas: Incarnation of Money as Kwon HyukCan't Live Without YouWill It Snow For Christmas? as Park Jun SukThe Queen Returns

Lee Elijah 이엘리야Lee_Elijah-p1.jpg

This is her first drama from what I can tell. She's a 90er. I couldn't find anything else about her. 

Jung Dong Hyun250px-Jung_Dong-Hyun-p1.jpg
This is also his first drama, he was born in 88. Not much found on him. 

Kim Bo Miphoto155940.jpg
Born in '87Previous dramas: Gu Family Book as Dam YiMy Daughter the Flower as Joo Hong DanThe Painter of the Wind as Jeong Hyang's maid
Park Ye Eun aka Yenny from Wonder Girls130113YENNY.jpg
This will be Yenny's first drama role that is not a cameo appearance. She is 24(25 Korean age)

I think this drama will follow Who Are You? So when that one is almost over, we'll hear more news about it

laquetahodge said: I think this drama will follow Who Are You? So when that one is almost over, we'll hear more news about it

ocdee said: laquetahodge said: I think this drama will follow Who Are You? So when that one is almost over, we'll hear more news about it Thanks for all the info! I hv a good feeling about this one... :)  It's no problem. I'll keep a look out for more news. I am waiting for this one, I like the plot