Quantcast
ecs707a

[Drama 2012] Bridal Mask 각시탈

This one was post on page 154 of this thread and thanks to @sunshine4ever again, I am re-posting this for those who joined later and having to sieve through 400 pages, she was so thoughtful to suggest that I should do it again.
The Dual Life of Joowon
 From fighting scenes, emotional scenes to romantic scenes, Joowon has totally mesmerized the audience.

Adapted from Huh Young-Man’s manhwa “Bridal Mask”, as the Imperial Japan loyalist Lee Kangto and as the one who follows the footsteps of his elder brother to become the nameless hero Bridal Mask, Joowon plays a dual role. In the drama, his acting ability has increased over time, rising to be a top actor, gaining a foothold as the king of viewership.

In reality, the casting of Bridal Mask has been difficult; it was not smooth from the beginning. Due to the theme of Imperial Japan’s occupation, many Hallyu stars have rejected the role. Under these circumstances, Joowon a new actor took on the role and it became a topic of discussion.  Many people felt he could not carry the drama and were unconvinced and had many concerns. But the result was the opposite and instantly all the concerns were swept away. Joowon’s acting was even more solid and won a lot of accolades. The drama also brought in the highest viewership on Wed & Thurs. On the net, many left comments such as “This role belongs to Joowon”, “It will not do without Joowon”, “Cannot imagine another actor besides Joowon to play this role” and many praises. This interviewer caught up with Joowon on the set of Bridal Mask.

Q: How do you feel about Bridal Mask capturing the hearts of the family viewers?

JW: Gathering the highest viewership amongst the 3 dramas, I am very happy. However, the burden was very heavy from the beginning. Especially after Kangsan died and Shin Hyun Joon left the set, I and the other younger actors felt the burden increased. I also worried about the audience’s reaction to the way my character was in the beginning, towards his country, his friend and love.

Q: Leading the drama to be the top must have weighed heavily on your shoulders?

To be the lead actor and make the drama the top, there is a lot of pressure. Also the role of the  bridal mask is a very different, I was very worried. In the beginning, I thought “ The script is good, the director is good, everything is good, if the viewership is not good, then it’s because of me” and I got more burdened, thinking that way.

As a result, I prepared a lot for this role. Horse riding and martial arts are fundamental to the role. Also, to understand the character Lee Kangto, I made a lot of effort. Lee Kangto loved his family more than anyone else, yet he did a lot of things that upset his family. He could do anything for his family, yet he also brought harm to them. This complexity of his inner being, in order to express the right feelings, I discussed a lot with the director

Q: Was it convenient to wear the mask?

To prevent the mask from slipping, I have to tie the rope very tightly, making my nose hurt. My eyes are also how I expressed my feelings, but because of the mask, my gaze cannot be seen, it was regretful. The mask also blocks my line of vision, hence it was also dangerous. There were a lot of inconveniences (laughs). There was a good thing; I didn’t have to put on make-up so it was convenient.

The unexpected thing was the mask goes well with the Korean traditional wear. There was a lot of discussion, whether to use the best looking clothes or the Korean wear. My thought was to follow the original work and wear the Korean costume. When it comes to fighting, it actually looked good and when you run, it makes a “pucha pucha” sound which was very cool.

Q: Did the first Gaksital(Kangsan) Shin Hyun Joon give you any advice or suggestion?

When I was with Hyun Joon Hyung, we praised each other. Whatever he did, I said it was good. Whatever I did, hyung will say I did well. When hyung finished his filming, he will watch the show and said I did very well; it gave me a lot of strength.

Q: How about with Jin Se Yeon?

Every time I got to the martial arts training room, JSY will be there. In the beginning, she couldn’t even do a somersault. But she got better and better with time and now she could even hang from the wire. Due to her cheerful personality, whenever we are filming together, she always makes people feel good. That’s why all the elders and staff love her very much. Every time JSY appears, the mood of on the set becomes very good.

Q:  I am very curious what happened behind the kiss scene with Han Chae Ah?

We were filming at XX(can’t translate the name of the place) , there were a lot of poultry farms and factories nearby. Hence, there were a lot of insects. When we were filming the kiss scene, there was a fly that flew around HCA. So what was originally a simple shoot, turned out to have many takes, my luck was very good (laughs)

In the show, he is a hero. Out of the show, he is an aegyo man.

By nature, Joowon has lots of aegyo, he is very good to his hyungs. We can see in 2N1D, with Kim Seung Woo, Uhm Tae Woong, when he displays his aegyo side, he’s just like a child. HTW said: “If there is a mini-Joowon, will be very adorable” He behaves likewise during the filming of Bridal Mask. He does it all the time with his onscreen friend & foe, Kimura Shunji played by Park Ki Woong. Whenever there is a NG, he will immediately go and hug PKW. He’s turn to being adorable and cute has shocked other co-stars. Han Chae Ah said: “He is usually like a little child, loves to joke and also does a lot of aegyo” But once the director says Cue, he will immediately become Lee Kangto, his immersion into the role amazes people, acting skills are good. Co-stars who act with him says that he is able to focus very well and they feel that Joowon is an excellent actor. On the show and out there, many praised his acting skills.

Q: This role involves a lot of emotion and martial arts; you must have expended a lot of strength.

JW: Kicking Hyun Joon Hyung, seeing mother had died, at the grave of hyung and mother, the emotions while filming those scenes were very intense. Many times, I strained the veins in my neck, felt my blood pressure going up. After that whenever an emotionally intense scene came up, I will have a headache, the director was worried about me.

Q:  The crying scene at the discovery of his mother’s death, gave viewers a very deep impression. The way Joowon immersed himself in the scene was admirable.

JW: The sequence of the filming and the actual broadcast was entirely different. In reality, when we were filming that scene, it was my 2nd time meeting Song Ok Sook, who played my mother. Although it was acting, no matter what, it was necessary to have built some relationship then it’d have been easier to get into the role. However, there was no choice so I had to create my own feelings, it wasn’t easy. Especially during the beginning when Kangto had so much pain, it also agonized me.

Q: Your acting has won good critics. Have you thought of the reason?

I learnt a lot from filming Special Investigation Unit. The film set was like my learning centre. Uhm Tae Woong hyung, Seong Dong-il, Jeong Jin-yeong ,the seniors were all my role models for learning and they each had a different way of acting. Gradually, I found my own method. At first, I thought I should just act my role very well, now I realize that the atmosphere on the set is even more important. Previously, I only prepared myself; I never really grasp the dynamics on the set. From then on, I started to pay attention to the situation at the filming set.

Q: Recently, on 1N2D, the way you slept on your member’s tummy created a lot of talk. How tired were you that it led to that?

JW: There are 2 teams doing the filming. If team A films from 6am in the morning to 8pm. Then team B will film from 8.30 to the next morning. (this was left out but he said elsewhere that they continue to work throughout even as team A&B changed shifts), under that condition, I filmed 1N2D, without knowing, I opened my mouth (laughs).

All the cast worked in this manner, we couldn’t even see our beds. Usually in filming outdoors, we’ll sleep at the hotel. But we couldn’t even do that. We’d just go to a nearby washroom to wash up and then we’d return to the film site. When we see our co-stars, we’ll be very happy as we are in the same boat. Since everyone worked in this manner, there was no unhappiness. Being tired physically does not matter. However, unfamiliarity with the script resulting in errors makes one worried. When there is a lot of dialogue with PKW in important scenes, I’d worried and think that I must not make mistakes.

Q: In 1N2D, we saw a lot of facial products; you seem to pay a lot of attention on your skincare.

JW: Originally, I only used moisturizer. I don’t know when it started but things began to pop up on my face, it must be that I have the make-up on for too long a period. During the entire day, I’d be without makeup for only 30 minutes. Thus I have been more careful recently.

Q: You seemed to have lost a lot of weight.

JW: In order to have more sleep, I gave up meal times. That’s why I lost weight. Frequently, I will be having my make-up done and eating snacks at the same time. I ate a lot of things in place of rice, like yoghurt and milk cereals. I even have a nickname ‘Yoghurt Youth’ (laughs)

Q: This show has been extended from the original 24 episodes by another 4. You don’t seem to be unhappy about it.

JW: When I first heard it, I felt the director’s and producer’s thoughts were the most important. If it is due to viewership and got extended, then it’d be a problem. However, if it is to bring forth a better production then it is necessary to get the extension. This is good news to the actors. Anyway, we’ll just need to film another 2 weeks only. 

Chinese translation: - (translator on baidu)

English translation: mrdimples@soompi

Source: unknown

Translations for BTS kissing scence #3 Interview (I found this on p. 154 originally posted by Cloe )

Video credits to JooWonTHFC and thanks to Micheru for posting video @ JW & JSY's thread

Words translation by: Softy @ http://soulsrebel.wordpress.com/

Through 1n2d we learned he loves lemons and sour drinks and now we learn when his first kiss was. I sort of feel bad for him and wish it was more special.

I am going to translate word for word what he said, but there is one word I am not sure of that he repeated twice– not certain if he meant romantic or unique/unusual based on what he said. It could go either way, but I just don’t know that Korean word he used. Also I have no idea what the questions were except for one cuz it was obvious.

JW: it made me tremble and it seemed (romantic/unique) cuz I am in the forest kissing a girl – it doesn’t happen – it doesn’t happen often that is why it was (-) and made me tremble. Emotionally it was a moment (my character) looked forward to a lot (meaning cuz K and D had been through so much to meet) so there were a lot of other emotions involved. So it seemed like it was a really difficult scene. Filled with emotions – I had to emote that I liked her. stuff like that is what made it different.

The guy off camera asks: in every project/drama you’ve been in, they all had kiss scenes. Didn’t they?

JW: yes.

*Guy: by any chance when you choose a project, do you check/confirm if there is a kiss scene or not?

JW laughs and says: I don’t need to confirm those cuz in every project, there is always melo(drama) so there are love scenes. Cuz of that – kiss scenes come out so I don’t look at that and choose.

Guy: are you sure?

JW: yes I am sure.

Question was – when was your first kiss.

JW: I think my first kiss I had during my performance (on stage) at that time my heart raced (thumped). I remember feeling something that you cant express in words so I trembled a lot. I am always the same –whenever I do a project, I am always good to my partner.

Guy says: it doesn’t matter who she is?

JW: yes. He quickly ends it by saying “Thank you.”

The girl JSY says: I trembled (during the kiss)– it’s embarrassing (cuz she is talking about the kiss now).

Guy: you didn’t have any other emotions?

JSY: other emotion? To be honest, if you look at it another way it could be seen as a sad scene. So I wanted to cry with tears flowing down during it, but that feeling of sadness would not surface. I wonder why (meaning it was too enjoyable) so that was too bad (that she couldn’t cry during it). the scene seemed to have more meaning. Cuz the mood/atmosphere was good. She is asked the same question about first kiss so she says: I only did it during projects.

Guy asks:
is this your second time?

JSY: yes.

I think she was asked to choose between her first kiss scene and this one – as in which was better so she stays neutral and says: who would it be. I have to think about it. I am sorry. I’m not sure.

@Jessi15, @sunshine4ever, @mrdimples, @demoeoe, Thank you very much for your kind words.

Before I log off, let me share with you these captures.

vlcsnap-2012-10-01-10h37m07s160.png
vlcsnap-2012-10-01-10h37m15s29.png
vlcsnap-2012-10-01-10h39m48s41.png
vlcsnap-2012-10-01-10h40m33s230.png

Sadness as well as happiness are part of everybody's life. But to be able to stand up again and again, and fight for each other, no matter the pain, no matter the outcome... For that reason, Mokdan and Kangto are each others heroes.

vlcsnap-2012-10-01-11h14m40s209.png
vlcsnap-2012-09-16-23h07m20s46.png

Have a good day
:D

A37_V62CQAEsG7q_zps65fe432c.jpg

hi everyone.. this beautiful photo was shared by 혀기 @hyugie0412  via his twitter.. hope this beautiful photo shot brings back fond memories of the "Gaksital drama day" to everyone :)

how i wish.. that they will produce a very thick photo book for this drama incorporating all the thousands of photos - pre & post filming esp. BTS photo shots among the cast.. n esp. of KT-MD.. JW-JSY :) .. will we have it? .. hmm

class="username"

@snguyenova,  thank you so much. I think that Mokdan and Kangto lived on and survived because they had each other. To have a companion who gives you strength and cheers you up when you're down. That's great enough and that's bearable enough especially when at the end they have no one, but each other. Anybody that inspired us to live on and overcome any tragedies are our heroes. You are right. Mokdan and Kangto are each other's heroes. I have no doubt in it. It's interesting to hear your perspective, but it's like seeing a new birth/renewal of KT & MD's love at the end of this drama although I know it's sad for me as a viewer to not see them together. *tears* Thank you so much for those sweet capturing of them. I <3 them both and they are also my heroes. Their love for each other really survives in me. <3 I feel so compassionate to couples who lived through and/or lost each other due to war because of KT & MD.

@autumndew, thank you for the picture. When I looked at it I automatically thought of Bridal Mask, hehehe...^^ I love that scene that he was getting dressed as Bridal Mask to meet up with his Boon Yi. It's like he's getting ready for a date.

Because your picture brought up great memories of one of my favorite scene...this is in episode 10 when Mokdan wanted Bridal Mask to team up with her dad and sent him a message saying she'll wait for him in the sunset and after she ran off, he went to the forest to get dressed up to meet up with her...it's so sweet...:
fyq7c.jpg
rjl368.jpg

mojobobo said: Anyone has any news about DVDs?? I want to get a director's cut hehehe

Soompi reports that Park Ki-woong is very very close to signing on for "Covertness", the movie that currently stars Kim Soo-Hyun and Lee Hyun Woo!  Wow.

Bridal Mask’s Park Ki Woong Joins Kim Soo Hyun and Lee Hyun Woo for “Covertness” http://bit.ly/QJ7e8i 

Just in case any of you need to recover from Gaksital withdrawal, please see Ulala Couple.  If you watch it, you will know why Kangsan actually decided to become Gaksital [aside from revenge for his own family] ANd you will know where Rie went. Kekek. Parodies, totally awesome!

Warning: I am not trying to be spiritual or to force on anybody in this thread anything symbolical. This is just how I truly feel about the ending.

-slightly edited-
@sunshine4ever, despite the ending they ARE together. I have no doubt in that  :)
wow, Thanks. Wish you could rewatch episodes 27-28. I may sound like a crazy person, but it's worth it....Please do, if you have time. I remember, that you said you couldn't cry watching those scenes. Although it was completely the opposite for me, I do understand what you mean. However, to fully appreciate their story, their bond, I think that you need to let your tears flow during those heart wrenching scenes. Watch them, cry at least few times, you will feel better. You will feel pain in your heart, but you will be able to let go of that sadness and be happy for them, for her. Just like Kangto did for Mokdan. In those times, death was more certain than survival. But our Mokdan did something beautiful for Kangto. I am no longer bitter about her death. I admire her so much. With her strength she made him strong, stronger than he's ever been. With her life, she gave him reason to not give up his. To live his life. And she will be there by his side. Not as his wife. Just as Mokdan.

Episode 28 is amazing, if not for the sad part, then at least in terms of acting. Jsy and Jw literally became Mokdan and Kangto. Having observed Jin Seyeon over the past 4 months, I think she's a great young actress. She acts with her heart and sincerity and actually pays a lot of attention to details. I am a fan of her acting. My tears could not stop when Mokdan was dying. The pain she went through to protect Kangto, the pain in her heart that she has to die, that she cannot even start a married life with him, that she has to leave him alone (their Goodbye Day, I think of you so my heart is always racing,My heart is already running toward you
,Your face that I long for, always lingers around me, You keep entering and filling up my eyes). For those reasons she gave him her strength to live on..so that he can keep her with him even after her death. She's left having regrets as his wife (flower rings, warm meals) but as Mokdan, she died with none.

And JooWon..one of the reason why the grave scene is so good is because his Love and Love is playing in the background. He sings it with so much honesty. The whole scene is like a declaration from Kangto. He already confessed with a marriage proposal, that he wants to be with her his whole life... but that grave scene...You sense Mokdan there. Just as you could always sense their love throughout the whole drama. Kangto talks directly to her. It is really Kangto, who is keeeping her alive. Mokdan was only about 12yrs old when she parted with Kangto for the first time, yet she and her heart stayed loyal to him, not knowing his fate at all. She just wished, that he was alive - she chose to believe that he would keep his promise to her, so that they could meet again. For their promise. Now they even fell in love and married. In 720p quality, you can see every single tear drop, which breaks your heart, but the acting is just admirable.

In the song, there is pain, because his wife couldn't stay by his side, but Boon Yi is not going anywhere. At first there is unbearable sadness (You..I miss you, I miss you so much - K's voice is very weak there), then determination (For your sake I will live, For you - delivered in a strong, determined voice). Then there are flashbacks with Mokdan - in the song it is K who decides to never let go of her and therefore M is still there (K sings 'I will be your shadow and as I am behind you'). K will keep her by his side ..Forever. M died but she showed K and let him realize how much she loved him. Her strength, her spirit, her will are everlasting and will never leave K. It will stay with him until he dies. After everything the two went through this is the most meaningful ending that honors the reality they lived in and the bond they shared. Both experienced loneliness, but they lived their lives selflessly, and throughout each other, they knew how much they were loved, how much one meant to the other. Such love cannot be separated by death, it lives on and on. M will never be just a memory. She lives within Kangto. Towards the end of the song, K's voice softens as he repeats three times that he loves M (Saranghanda, Saranghanda, Saranghanda), because he wants her to know that it still hurts, we see in flashback how M told K what he represents as BM-but the music intensifies and we are reminded what Mokdan meant to Kangto. That she was also his light.

I hope that I am not the only one who loved her character. I felt that she was my friend too. As if somebody dear to my heart passed away, I cried for her. Because I desperately wanted her to live. Watching the last scene, believe me, I wanted her in that crowd.

sorry, for making you look at this picture for the trillionth time...but...Mokdan IS there. With Kangto, with Seon Hwa, even with Chang Soo, Kim Dek Soo and Gye Son, and with everybody else who she passed on her bravery and courage. Who lived under oppression like she did, but stayed strong and fought
28en-1.png

I am grateful to the writer for M-K story, even the ending, and to whoever chose them as the leads. Because JooWon and Jin SeYeon deserve the praise. They truly connected as Kangto and Mokdan. All those actors involved in Bridal Mask must be so grateful for this drama. Through their sincere acting and genuine connection, they made their characters live real lives during 28 episodes of bm. Joowon still mentions Mokdan in his interviews, although she died. When he was Kangto, she inspired him, and it seemes that Joowon himself admired her as well. I think he's very grateful to Jin SeYeon, and Jsy the other way round. From Han ChaeAh's, Park KiWoong's, Jin SeYeon's and JooWon's acting, you could tell that they got very comfortable with each other, to the point, that there where no barriers when they acted together. Although now they go separate ways with their acting careers, Shunji, Rie, Mokdan and Kangto will always connect them, because each of them put part of themselves into their bm characters. It was so heartwarming to watch bm-actors become real life friends, during the 6months filming. Every single actor/actress was awesome in this drama. Honestly speaking, I never comment on actors' performance nor tv characters, let alone a story, but this drama deserves it. It is A piece of Art.

Kangto and Mokdan were there for each other during the darkest, the most painful and the most difficult part of their lives. Yet together they made each other happy. Now that I am revisiting their story, it was not about romance. Because becoming friends and falling in love with each other as a man and a woman- for Mokdan and Kangto, that part was natural. It flew with the story as you could always sense their love. But the story we were told, was about their reconnection, from who they were as Lee Young and Boon Yi, to who they grew up to be as Lee Kangto and Oh Mokdan. The drama showed that their bond was beyond life and death...reconnecting two souls beyond human physicality.

One of my most favorite 'parts' of the drama is episode 13 preview.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3sm34l5PwA&feature=plcp

Mokdan's and Kangto's voiceovers. Mokdan: 'I will pray that WE will meet again.' For me this was one of the most beautiful moment of their reconnection. Mokdan desperately wants to meet ym again, to see his changed face. And Kangto was very sincere, when he said he would protect her at all costs. On the other hand, Mokdan never said it. Yet with her actions, she protected him- BM/Kangto/Young Master, the whole time. Apart from the fact, that bm saved her many times, she protected  bm mainly because she believed bm was ym. The Young Master, who saved her when she was young Boonyi. After Kangto found out who Mokdan was, he saved her life many times, which she then sacrificed to protect his. Now Kangto will protect her in his heart.

I think that most people gave up on the ending/episode 28, because it was sad. Yes, it WAS sad, but SO meaningful (and beautiful). Every single scene. Gosh. Apart from the drama and those scenes... The acting was so powerful. It was superb.

Stay strong my friends

@snguyenova, I'm one of the fan who hate the ending. Actually, I know that the ending was so meaningful. But, it is also so sad. It gives me this painful feeling everytime I watch it, that's why I only rewatch until epi 26 :P. But, I agree with what you said. Their love story was so beautiful and meaningful :).

I also want like the story between Rie and Shunji. There were not much happening, actually..but I like the understanding between them. You know what, Rie kinda reminds me of myself :P.. hahaha. Some guys came and talked to me about their problems, and they also understood me, but they only considered me as a good friend whom they can trust and who would understand. I think that's what happened between Rie and Shunji. Both were in love with someone else, but both had developed trust and care toward each other. And their saying goodbye through phone was so heart breaking. .

@snguyenove, very well said. Your post made me cry all over again. Indeed, this drama is a piece of art.

snguyenova said: Warning: I am not trying to be spiritual or to force on anybody in this thread anything symbolical. This is just how I truly feel about the ending.

@sunshine4ever, despite the ending they ARE together. I have no doubt in that  :)
wow, Thanks. Wish you could rewatch episodes 27-28. I may sound like a crazy person, but it's worth it....Please do, if you have time. I remember, that you said you couldn't cry watching those scenes. Although it was completely the opposite for me, I do understand what you mean. However, to fully appreciate their story, their bond, I think that you need to let your tears flow during those heart wrenching scenes. Watch them, cry at least few times, you will feel better. You will feel pain in your heart, but you will be able to let go of that sadness and be happy for them, for her. Just like Kangto did for Mokdan. In those times, death was more certain than survival. But our Mokdan has done a beautiful thing for Kangto. I am no longer bitter about her death. I admire her so much. With her strength she made him strong. With her life, she gave him reason to not give up his. To live his life. And she will be there by his side. Not as his wife. Just as Mokdan.

Episode 28 is amazing, if not for the sad part, then at least in terms of acting. Jsy and Jw literally became Mokdan and Kangto. Observing Jin Seyeon over the past 4 months, I think she's a great young actress. She acts with her heart and sincerity and actually pays a lot of attention to detail. I am a fan of her acting. My tears could not stop when Mokdan was dying. The pain she went through to protect Kangto, the pain in her heart that she has to die, that she cannot even start a married life with him, that she has to leave him alone (their Goodby Day: I think of you so my heart is always racing,My heart is already running toward you
,Your face that I long for, always lingers around me, You keep entering and filling up my eyes). For those reasons she gave him her strength to live on..so that he can keep her with him even after her death. She's left having regrets as his wife (flower rings, warm meals) but as Mokdan, she died with none.

And JooWon..one of the reason why the grave scene is soo good is because his Love and Love is played in the background. He sings it with so much honesty. The whole scene is like a declaration from Kangto. He already confessed with a marrige proposal, that he wants to be with her his whole life... but that grave scene...You sense Mokdan there. Just as you could always sense their love throughout the drama. Kangto talks directly to her. It is really Kangto, who is keeeping her alive. Mokdan was only about 12yrs old when she parted with Kangto for the first time, yet she and her heart stayed loyal to him, not knowing his fate at all. She just wished, that he was alive, so that they could meet again. For their promise. Now they even fell in love and married. In 720p quality, you can see every single tear drop, which breaks your heart but the acting is just admirable.

In the song, there is pain, because his wife couldn't stay by his side, but Boon Yi is not going anywhere. In the song, at first there is unbearable sadness (You..I miss you, I miss you so much - K's voice is very weak there), then determination (For your sake I will live, For you - delivered in a strong, determined voice). Then there are flashbacks with Mokdan - in the song it is K who decides to never let go of her and therefore M is still there (K sings 'I will be your shadow and as I am behind you'). K will keep her by his side ..Forever. M died but she showed K and let him realize how much she loved him. Her strength, her spirit, her will are everlasting and will never leave K. It will stay with him until he dies. After everything the two went through this is the most meaningful ending that honors the reality they lived in and the bond they shared. Both experienced loneliness, but they lived their lives selflessly and throughout each other they knew how much they were loved, how much one meant to the other. That love cannot be separated by death, it lives on and on. M will never be just a memory. She lives within Kangto. Towards the end of the song, K's voice softens as he repeats three times that he loves M (Saranghanda, Saranghanda, Saranghanda) as he wants her to know that it still hurts, then music intensifies, while we see in flashback how M told K what he represents as BM.

I hope that I am not the only one who loved her character. I felt that she was my friend too. As if somebody dear to my heart passed away, I cried for her. Because I desperately wanted her to live. Watching the last scene, believe me, I wanted her in that crowd.

sorry, for making you look at this picture for the trillionth time...but...Mokdan IS there. With Kangto, with Seon Hwa, even with Chang Soo, Kim Dek Soo and Gye Son, and everybody else who she passed on her bravery and courage. Who lived under oppression like she did, but stayed strong and fought

I am grateful to the writer for M-K story, even the ending, and to whoever chose them as the leads. Because Joowon and Jin Se Yeon deserve the praise for their portrayal of Mokdan and Kangto. They truly connected as Kangto and Mokdan. All those actors involved in Bridal Mask, must be so grateful for this drama. Through their sincere acting and genuine connection, they made their characters live real lives during 28 episodes of a period korean drama. Joowon still mentions Mokdan in his interviews, although she died. When he was Kangto, she inspired him, but Joowon himself admired her as well. I think he's very grateful to Jin SeYeon  and the other way round. From Han ChaeAh's, Park KiWoong's, Jin SeYeon's and JooWon's acting, you could tell that they got very comfortable with each other, to the point, that there where no barriers when they acted together. Although now they go separate ways with their acting careers, Shunji, Rie, Mokdan and Kangto will always connect them, because each of them put part of themselves into their bm characters. It was so heartwarming to watch bm-actors become real life friends, during the 6months filming. Every single actor/actress was awesome in this drama. Honestly speaking, I never comment on actors' performance nor tv characters, let alone the story, but this drama deserves it. It IS A piece of Art.

Kangto and Mokdan were there for each other during the darkest, the most painful and the most difficult part of their lives. Yet they were very happy. Together they made each other happy. Now that I am revisiting their story, it was not about romance. Because becoming friends and falling in love with each other as a man and a woman- that part was natural. It flew with the story as you could always sense their love. But the story we were told, was about their reconnection from who they were as Lee Young and Boon Yi, to who they grew up to be as Lee Kangto/Bridal Mask and Oh Mokdan. The drama showed that their bond was beyond life and death...reconnecting two souls beyond human physicality.

Mokdan's and Kangto's voiceovers. Mokdan: ' I will pray that WE will meet again.' For me this was one of the most beautiful part of their reconnection. Mokdan desperately wants to meet him again, to see his changed face. And Kangto was very sincere when he said he would protect her at all costs. On the other hand, Mokdan never said it. Yet she protected him as BM/Kangto/Young Master, the whole time with her actions. Apart from the fact that bm saved her many times, she protected  bm mainly because she believed bm was ym. Young Master who saved her when she was young. After Kangto found out who she was, he saved her life many times, which she then sacrificed to protect his.

I think that most people gave up on the ending/episode 28, because it was sad. Yes, it WAS sad, but SO meaningful. Every single scene. Gosh. Apart from the drama and those scenes... The acting was so powerful. It was superb.

Stay strong my friends

When time passes by more, I seem to long and miss drama for real...

Now I can;t wait for Joowon's comeback :). I am curious who his leading lady will be, my guts tell me its gonna be Yoon Eun Hye

marie67 said:

When time passes by more, I seem to long and miss drama for real...

Now I can;t wait for Joowon's comeback :). I am curious who his leading lady will be, my guts tell me its gonna be Yoon Eun Hye

snguyenova said:
Kangto and Mokdan were there for each other during the darkest, the most painful and the most difficult part of their lives. Yet together they made each other happy. Now that I am revisiting their story, it was not about romance. Because becoming friends and falling in love with each other as a man and a woman- for Mokdan and Kangto, that part was natural. It flew with the story as you could always sense their love. But the story we were told, was about their reconnection, from who they were as Lee Young and Boon Yi, to who they grew up to be as Lee Kangto and Oh Mokdan. The drama showed that their bond was beyond life and death...reconnecting two souls beyond human physicality.

-video detached from original message-

Mokdan's and Kangto's voiceovers. Mokdan: 'I will pray that WE will meet again.' For me this was one of the most beautiful part of their reconnection. Mokdan desperately wants to meet ym again, to see his changed face. And Kangto was very sincere, when he said he would protect her at all costs. On the other hand, Mokdan never said it. Yet with her actions, she protected him- BM/Kangto/Young Master, the whole time. Apart from the fact, that bm saved her many times, she protected  bm mainly because she believed bm was ym. The Young Master, who saved her when she was young Boonyi. After Kangto found out who Mokdan was, he saved her life many times, which she then sacrificed to protect his. Now Kangto will protect her in his heart.

I think that most people gave up on the ending/episode 28, because it was sad. Yes, it WAS sad, but SO meaningful (and beautiful). Every single scene. Gosh. Apart from the drama and those scenes... The acting was so powerful. It was superb.

Stay strong my friends

He mentioned Bridal Mask in some parts. This is probably the last or one of the last interviews that mentions BM. It was on Baidu on the 27th but I did not translate as we were swarmed with all the interviews then.

I Love Sportswear. I am Boring and also not Handsome

e73232292df5e0feac11f9865c6034a85fdf72dc

Joo Won, the ordinary looking but extraordinary actor

He is an actor who does not need to dress up and yet he shines brightly in both appearance and acting skills. Possessing flower boy good looks and a charming smile, every word he says carries weight. Is that why his acting is so great? We do not need to compare him with those more experienced actors, because Joo Won being the “strongest among his peers” is making major strides in his acting career.

Nothing, not the wind nor the rain can stop Joo Won's progress. Debuting in the 2010 Baker King Kim Tak Gu whose ratings shot over 45% followed by Ojakgyo Brothers which had a ratings of almost 40%. It is not only numbers but Joo Won’s matured acting which stood out in the audience’s eyes and gradually entered their hearts. Compared to his earlier works, the recent Bridal Mask which although had lower ratings, it more than adequately showcased Joo Won’s growth as an actor.

The first question we asked when we met Joo Won was “Is your voice all right?” In Bridal Mask, there were many scenes that required shouting so we were worried. “It did change a little for the worse because it was a character who could not control his emotions. That’s why I just let it all out.” When we heard Joo Won spoke about the state of his voice, we were shocked that in in such a condition, he could still display such outstanding acting skills.

Not just shouting, there were a lot of action scenes that exact a physical toil on the body. At the end of an emotional crying scene, his hands and feet will become numb. His love lines with Mok Dan were also the envy of many. The role of Lee Kangto which he played, was not an easy one.

“After Bridal Mask, I let go(laughs). I need to let go of everything in order to act out perfectly all the different expressions and emotions of Lee Kangto. When I saw the script, my lines had the most exclamations,  so when I act, I needed to substantiate myself with the right feelings. Especially those two consecutive days of filming the death scenes of ‘hyung’ and ‘mother’, it was very distressing and difficult.”

Joo Won said “After the scene, my hands and feet went numb, even breathing was difficult.” Even though he threw his entire self into the act, there were some regrets. At the time of acting, he felt he had done his best, however later, he discovered there were much that was not adequate. It is probably natural for an actor to think this way.

“When I was filming, I will tell myself not to be like this. But because I did not sleep well, my physical energy and mental strength also declined. Hence there were many details that I neglected. When I was acting those emotional scenes, I concentrated fully. But in the smaller scenes, I did not invest much of my experience into it. This is the part that makes me regret. “

Normally, Joo Won loves to wear sportswear, he does not like to dress up. It came to a point where his stylist banned him from wearing sportswear. However as an actor, Joo Won is totally different. “Although I am not sure if it’s right or wrong, but (as an actor) if I do not adequately express my own ideas, I will became very sensitive. If I do not perform well, I will be mad.”

We wonder if this is the reason for his rapid growth? Joo Won said “After each piece of work is over, I honestly felt my own progress.”

3 dramas, 3 different roles. His choice may be a reflection of his desire towards acting. Joo Won said “When I look at the role, first I will see if it is attractive, and if the plot has twists and turns, that will be even better. Up till now, all the roles that I have played are characters who have a lot of pain and suffering buried in their hearts, I pity them that’s why I made the choice.”

Joo Won chooses to act in romance, setting himself the next challenge.

“I want to act in a romantic love drama. When I started acting, I already felt that acting romantic love scenes are the most beautiful and also the most difficult. For man, of all emotional expressions, the expression of love should be the most difficult. Although I can’t wait to act but there must be time to prepare. To me, love is the most difficult, moreover I also do not really understand a woman’s heart(laughs).”

It may not be fitting to describe Joo Won as lanky and tall, sturdily built and having a pure innocent manga face of a protagonist. But these word will not be enough if we were to describe him when he is completely immersed in acting.

"I am not the type who is very dashing in appearance. Moreover, I am not interesting, nor handsome, I look more ordinary than anyone else.” Joo Won added. Although we could not agree, but since he emphasized so many times, we will just it slip. But there is one thing which not matter what is said, we will not compromise. It is that he is indeed an extraordinary actor.

Chinese translation:  baidu

English translation: mrdimples@soompi

Source: nocutnews

Is there any news of the main casts going to any variety/talk show like Come to Play or Happy Together? I doubt it because it already ends though.. :(
I want to hear their thoughts about their characters and the drama, and most importantly, watch their interaction with each other again..
I miss Park Ki Woong & Joo Won together T___T

can I just ask if Bridal Mask was nominated in the recent Korean Drama Awards or is it still too early for BM to be included? thanks!