Quantcast
ecs707a

[Drama 2012] Bridal Mask 각시탈

cravey said: @yuhotarubi @mojobobo ok, you can come with, we can all cheer him up, help fight, spy on him shirtless, then have a fair cat fight over the lady love position 

Softy's recap:
I cried during the oddest scenes – I cried when one of DJ’s men threw his body over the kid to keep him alive and took the bullet for the kid. that sort of sacrifice was so unexpected for someone who just met the kid yesterday. I bet to him he was protecting Korea’s future. that sacrifice changed the boy. now he wants to do his part and do it twice as well – for the guy who lost his life to give him this chance to make a difference.
I cried at this scene too.. It's too impactful... 

I was thinking... The real title of this drama for me is Rebirth.

At the end of the story, the old life of Kangto is gone. The last thing of his "previous" life was Mokdan. Now Shunji, Mokdan, the revenge, the hate... All is gone. In this sense Kangto is dead, and Gaksital is born. A new man. Sad? Maybe yes, maybe not. Kangto wasn't a happy man. He was tortured by his memories, his nightmares, his father, his brother, the revenge, the pain...

Now is starting a new life for him, the ONLY thing that can give him some happyness in the future. The time heals all wounds, of the body and soul. Now he's become Gaksital, with mask or not. It's different from the past. He is Gaksital not for a personal revenge, but for his country. Bridal Mask is born at the end of the drama, not at the beginning.

Sad? Yes, but this is the only way to survive for Kangto, to survive to his past.

*hugs all her Soompi friends*

sunshine4ever said: Eja said: 坎坷不平 pretty much sums up what I feel. @mrdimples did 痛 tong, I felt like saying my feelings through a chengyu 成语. T.T

@mojobobo @mrdimples  @lyra_brillantez

I'm about to leave for a new day at my place. I just wanted to say thank you so much to all of you for your contribution, analysis, thoughts, insights, pics, and vast majority of everything you shared with me. This drama was the only drama where I actually watched up to 28 episodes with so little romance. It has so much depth and I love it so despite its ending. I hope that all of you will still come by and contribute whenever you see a news for Bridal Mask. I don't have good sources for news. :( And being so poor not knowing Korean or Chinese where mast majority of news are coming from.

I know it ended, but there might be chances there will be lots more news because I just realized that it could end up airing in some other country. If you could please still share things here in this thread. I'm going to move on with my life, but I'll definitely come back to this thread again.

Thanks so much again for everything, everyone. <333

@mojobobo @mrdimples thank you so much for all of your news and your love for this drama for the past 3 months and especially the last month for staying with me through this whole drama. I love you two so much. <333 

I like the ending because to me the drama is about the love for their country. Although KT was the only one left living he is the light for the Joseon people to keep fighting. I'm so glad that after everyone he loves dies, he still has the will to keep fighting. Isn't this what true hero of our country do??? I love it!!! Of course I wanted this to end like a drama where our OTP lives happily ever after but hey this was about war. With war you make sacrifices. I expected MD, KS and KT to die but to have KT live on for the people I'm ok with it. So I am satisfy with how this drama ended. Live on for the FANS, Gaksitaaaaaaal Joo won, you were so amazing from ep1 til ep28... I love you for being Gaksital PKW, you had me on the edge of the cliff every time you get closer to KT identity. My favor villain of all time. Lol Casts & Crews - thank you for all your hard work... Gaksital is the BEST drama of all time!!!! LOVE everyone for it!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :) :) =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :) :)

I hesitated writing this. I cannot believe one of my fan fic became true. But I went ahead to do this because I needed closure for the show. I have been silently reading most of the comments. Some felt that killing Mok Dan was necessary as befitting the drama's central theme on the nation. Some felt it was realistic as those were the times where many lost their loved ones. Some just didn't felt impacted by her death as her character never appealed to them during the whole show. For me, Mok Dan's death gutted me. Because I cannot imagine the life of loneliness and misery that Kangto has to go through. He is the most tragic figure I have come across in any drama. I wrote in another one of my fan fic that Pain is Kangto's acquaintance and Death has no hold on him. I was wrong about the latter. Yes, he may be brave to face death countless times but Death has been too much a part... No, actually Death has been with him his entire life. Death of his father, Death of his brother, Death of his mother and now, Death of his beloved, the love of his life. 
I was surprised that the show didn't end with Kangto visiting the grave after the march at the finale. But I understood the message. Kangto is a True Hero. He puts his country and his people above himself. For that, I cannot see him living life defeated, a shell of his former self as he pines forever for his loss. Isn't it so wonderful that Mok Dan tells him to have strength and live life. That is Real Love. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------

He walked towards the forest clearing and sat on the tree stump. The sun rays hit the ground of fallen leaves and it gave a warm golden hue, the trees swayed and whispered to each other. This is their secret meeting place, the first place where he held her in his arms and kissed her. He looked at her now, she has not changed one bit, her eyes so full of life and beauty, the nose petite but straight with a hint of character, her rose bud lips luscious and inviting, her chin strong and firm belying the determination within. She smiled at him so sweet and pure and his heart ached. He loved her so much that he felt his heart could burst. His eyes turn moist and her face became blurred. These days, his eyes gave him trouble and he couldn’t see her as clearly as he once did, perhaps he should get those glasses as they called it. If they could help him see his Boon Yi better, then it was worth the while. He rubbed them and blinked. Now, that’s better. She smiled that smile of hers that made him fall in love with her so many years ago.  There are days where he liked nothing more than sit here and enjoy the serenity and beauty of the surroundings. He told her gently: “Boon ah, today I officiated the opening of the school which I funded. The school is named after you. I thought about it and that’s where I wanted to plant the seed. The future of our nation depends on the young generation. With knowledge, they will have the means to build a strong country. Do you agree? We’ve come a long way, haven’t we? Your father was right, one day the boulder will break but the egg lives, the chick will grow and be strong. This day has come.” She smiled at him again. She has always understood him and stood by him. They need not say much and yet they understood each other perfectly. 

There were sounds of footsteps on the leaves strewn forest floor. “Appa! There you are.” A little boy ran up and jumped into his opened arms. “Umma has cooked all your favorite dishes tonight. She’ll get worried if you don’t go home soon” the child chided. He pinched the boy’s little nose and carried him in his arms. He knew she won’t be angry but he must not make her wait too long. She has waited for him for many years. Always understanding, always comforting. She asked for nothing in return. She knew she will always have to share his heart but she was content. He never thought it was possible but he also knew he was not living life the way she had hoped for him. Love may not happen overnight but it can be forged over time, through experiencing the joys as well as sadness that life throws at you. He looked at his son and a warm feeling fills his heart. He will never be able to forget his past but he has a future to look forward to. “Why are you still standing here?” the child asked. Kangto laughed and brought him up to sit on his shoulders. Then he looked up at the sky above him and saw the beautiful stars shining in the twilight. One of them seemed to be exceptionally bright. He smiled again.  

-------------------------------------------------

爱 - love

@sunshine4ever, I think the fact that the drama only showed a short portion of Kangto's pain is significant. Sure, he must be upset. But put this in context. He's Lee Kangto, a.k.a. Gaksital. He's living in a time of war. Like Damsari, there are other things that call for his attention, like fighting the good fight. So it only serves to show that he's truly become the hero, thinking of others before self, of the cause before his own pain. This is who Kangto is. Life deals him several hardballs but he keeps moving on no matter what. He shows resilience. He IS the hero. So I actually like that they show that he has his own down time, to cry it all out no matter how short [when he didn't even need to if you hand't killed Mok Dan, writer-nim!] but then he carries on with what he needs to do, with steely composure. This emphasises the times they are in, which really is the focus of the drama [not that I really care anymore] He's SO going to be that maverick ahjussi going around saving people in the future. lol. 
Thank you too, for sticking around here and doing the recaps with me. It was so fun and I hope we''ll meet again in another thread and have fun together again heheh <3<3<3 Don't worry, you can be sure I'll be staking out for news and what not and I'll post it here. I'm guess @mrdimples will be doing the same too hehehe. 

As I said, I'm logically ok with the ending. I'm even accepting of Rie and Shunji's "new" relationship, although it really isn't that new because from quite a few episodes back, we saw that Shunji could see through Rie and he never once talked to her like she was Ueno's daughter. Similarly, Rie understood Shunji because they were both chasing after an unattainable love. But whereas Rie was clearheaded enough to know that she stood no chance, Shunji couldn't/refused to face that fact. Which is why Rie was trying to reach out to him. 
What I found perplexing though was Rie suddenly embracing her roots. Just last night, she said she had no where to go! Then now, she's Chae Hong Joo? Sounds like a cop out to me. What was her motivation for doing so? Because now she no longer had Ueno as her source of power? No. The Rie I know would have rather died than to admit that she was Korean. So though it was touching, it was just too contrived. I guess I'm also upset at the fact that she embraced her ethnicity so late in the drama, when she could have done so earlier and played a significant role in aiding the Independence fighters. So writer nim, WHY? If she could have a good ending, why not Mok Dan? [i'm bitter, yes, I know]
I know, the ending is realistic and if they wanted to show a happy ending, we'll probably have to skip a few years to the end of the Korean War. But let me put it plainly. Had I know the ending was as such, I would NEVER have watched this drama [ok I lie, I may sneak in once in a while just to admire the beauty of Joo Won and Park Ki Woong]. 
Fact of the matter is, I watch a drama to feel good and happy, not to make me feel like richard simmons. If I wanted a dose of reality, I can just go back to my life thank you very much. I'll give it to you though drama, you were awesome [except the last episode!] and your lead actors deserve ALL the acting awards they can get. I also hope Park Ki Woong gets more recognition because somehow it seems like he's always playing second fiddle. 

i'll rewatch everything but episode 28...MD really was Damsari DAUGHTER!i felt sorry for Damsari sacrifice too... he was hoping for his daughter to marry and be happy... he bought the dress for the wedding ...i really cried a lot this episode!

watch #1: shock. awe. disbelief. wondered if the ending made any sense to the rest of the story.

watch #2: it makes sense. sobbed.

if you've ever had a loved one die, you know that the moment right after, life goes on, you keep going, never giving in to the sorrow because there is purpose for you and your life.

the story of Gaksital had an organically gaksital ending.

it's been a blast, soompi gaksital fam. thanks for everything, everyone. i'll miss you all. don't be a stranger. =)

i know many of you are still reeling, but head up. ^^

to Gaksital.

02.png

@mojobobo, I read your message just now. I'm trying to understand your pain. Just wanted to drop this off for you. At least the scriptwriter was seeing and reading in my mind, right? Remember how both of us were hoping for happy ending. Look the director gave us this to give us some comfort. :) I know you posted this image before, but this is a bigger version of OTP and their two beloved friends.

jp9evr.jpg

@sunshine4ever hahah you read my mind!! That was exactly what I was thinking of! Like a consolation prize! But I'd rather it was the actual prize itself hah! then they started showing all the past photos and I just wanted to hole up and cry :((
Sorry man, I wanted to translate some article but then I can't stop crying TT_TT I just feel so sad for everybody. 

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH
@sunshine4ever, I just had a funny thought. Won't it be hilarious if Kangto and Shunji were also holding hands in the picture? HAHAHAHAHAHHAH

@mojobobo, I was thinking how everyone else who roots for KT & MD go to sleep in Korea. lol. For me I have a day to cry over it. And about KT's pain. It's brief and unrealistic to let KT have felt that pain and it's okay to have more pain. That's inhuman the way the scriptwriter makes my KT to be. I'm totally in acceptance of that, but I will not hope for a real KT in real life if there is one to have to go through that much. mrdimples probably had a brighter version though. I like her ending fanfic although it's sad. I just needed some time to go over my own pain for this OTP that I have spent time dissecting. I guess I'll just be like Jessi watching only KT & MD's scenes again because this drama is quite long.

Just want to comfort you about the ending. I'll write more when I could understand your message first though, dear. I'm not sure why emotions run through me now reading what everyone was saying. I don't know why the ending left me so empty. It's like I am in denial that it ended this way. *hugs*

.......... exile18 said: I'm sorry, I might be the minority, pls dont hate me for saying this. But I feel that Mok Dan's death is necessary. 
It is the last straw for Shunji. Mok Dan's death is like a wake up call for him. Like how it has always been throughout, the OTP has never been the focus of this drama. The writer is writing and planning the script on a macro level. The theme of patriotism, revenge and the fight for independence of a country. The theme was so wide that, the writer even ignored to clarify in the story who the real identity of bridal mask is to the people. Till the end, the people of Joseon, except for the comrades, no one else knew that Kang To is bridal mask. People are still condemning him for his 'past deeds'. Kang To since joining the comrades, it is already never just his own fight anymore. But the people's fight instead. 
For me, the bromance of Kang To and Shunji won over me more than that of Mok Dan and Kang To. 
Another example of such drama should be Painter of the wind. Where Moon Chae Won and Moon Guen Young was even awarded the best couple award for their propelling performance. 
I am a fan of historic dramas, so the ending of BM is convincing for me. A happily ever after ending would only prove to be unbelievable. Anyway I am really satisfied about the ending, In fact, the deaths of leader Jo and Shunji shakens me more than the death of Mok dan. 
Ok, enough of my opinions. I should run first before I am bombarded by fans of Mok Dan...

@sunshine4ever, I thought you said you had to go out? Hahahhaah but you are still here! I know what you mean by feeling empty. I alternate between that and grief hahahah. 
<3 I'm actually curious to know what JB and girlfriday think ahahahaha. Wonder how the recaps are going to be tomorrow....

mojobobo said: @sunshine4ever, I thought you said you had to go out? Hahahhaah but you are still here! I know what you mean by feeling empty. I alternate between that and grief hahahah. 
<3 I'm actually curious to know what JB and girlfriday think ahahahaha. Wonder how the recaps are going to be tomorrow....