Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SilkInfused

RESOLVED: Reformat ERROR: 10-FC12-0241

August 23, 2010 Update: Laptop is fixed. A simple swap of a brand new hard drive. It's been almost a week since the replacement and so far, no problems!

A big, big thank you to IonNuke for sending me a spare HD, step-by-step instructions and making life so much easier. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hi! Thanks for looking in.

Tried to reformat but met with an error 10-FC12-0241(HDD or memory problem) on Disc 2 in the process. Prior to the reformat, it was working fine. Laptop condition is relatively new, gets sufficient bottom ventilation. I have 2 copies of the Toshiba Recovery CDs and had used both to make sure it wasn't a CD error. After a few attempts and switching CDs, the error persists.

I'm going to have a tech check it out, but is there something I can do? Should I expect to have something replaced? Is it worth the repair fees or should I save the money for another laptop?

Model: Toshiba Satellite A305D

Memory(RAM): 3.00GB

Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Tech. TL-60 2.00 GHz

http://www.howtogeek...lite-a205-s5864

http://laptopforums....-error/m-p/8431

http://id-discussion...ead.php?t=89432

Some useful tips in those threads. One post said "According to Toshiba's Customer Service, if the 10-FA11-0017 error occurs on the second cd it is most likely a harddrive failure."

A hard drive of decent size can be had for $50 or less if the final solution is to replace the old one. Seems like a waste to toss a laptop that looks to be pretty recent. 

Who can forget the 10-FC12 error code. I see it far too often everyday (-_-").

Your harddrive most likely has Sector Relocation Errors up the wazoooo. Backup what you can and time to get a new hard drive. It's not RAM b/c if it was RAM on the A305D you'll get LED error codes. I think that one is 3 short orange and one long orange.

Even better is that you don't have DMI error which doesn't allow you to use your restore discs made for your system LOL. Yeah best get a new hard drive.

@orangeman

Thank you for those links. I'm on borrowed time so I can't read through all of them, but skimming through I can see it's a hd problem. And yes, it would be a waste to toss a good laptop but I hear this particular line (or the lower tier of Toshiba models) are um, troublesome to maintain? lol

@IonNuke

Thank you, as always. :)

Just out of curiosity, how or why does my hd has/have Sector Relocation errors?

Looking forward to some lappy Fix-Its this month.

Basically think of the hard drive as a CD, it writes from inside to out. If the disk gets scratched or damaged then that segment becomes unreadable and the drive allocates another section of the disk for that. So for example the area for track 3 of the CD gets damaged, the drive remaps the track to a blank section and gives it the label of track 3.

Drives do normally have small errors and the drive will just reallocate the sectors to another section. But if the disk is damaged the number reallocations will spike and the drive will warn you about a potential failure soon. That is very common with laptops because they get a lot of bumps and movement. The drive spins at 5,400-7,200 rpm so even a slight shock can cause a lot of damage.

Just out of curiosity, how or why does my hd has/have Sector Relocation errors?

Looking forward to some lappy Fix-Its this month.

They're designed with a shock threshold and movement to the spinning platters will affect it. Eventually if there's too much movement and the board on the HDD racks up errors too high it will just be like "bleh" and fail.

Some computers come with free-fall sensors on the HDD or it's a module on your logic board by the southbridge that keeps track of these instances and will move the read/write head back to the standby position to prevent the head hitting the platters. High end hard drives will have the sensors built into the circuit board on the harddrive itself to protect you from shock damage. Or if you're me and just get a SSD you don't really have to worry about stuff like that bua hahahahahahha. Anywhosits. Your replacement will be dispatched this week.

Hard drives go through various levels of QC. They all pass but they're not designed to survive nuclear fallout or last forever. Granted I got some old ones that just won't die for the life of me but that's when computer components were built like a tank 10s of years ago.

@awdark, IonNuke - Ah I see. Thank you, that explains perfectly.

I'll return back to update this if the fix is successful.

For future reference, keep your unit cool. The AMD chipset version of the A305 (A305D for AMD and A305 for Intel) can get rediculously hot where the northbridge BGA will come off the board thus resulting in completely no video. And that it doesn't help that the temperature of the AMD Turion X2 64 TL-60 can fry eggs with it so that needs to be kept relatively cool too.

Update: Laptop is fixed. A simple swap of a brand new hard drive. It's been almost a week since the replacement and so far, no problems!

A big, big thank you to IonNuke for sending me a spare HD, step-by-step instructions and making life so much easier. :)