Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

atel

[movie 2005/6] King And The Clown/king's Man 왕의 남자

Kam Wu-seong, Jeong Jin-yeong, Kang Seong-yeon, Lee Jun-ki
Movie is now out on DVD. :)from dvdasian.com Standard Edition: http://www.dvdasian.com/_e/Korea/product/2..._DVD_9_DTS_.htm from amazon.com Standard Edition: http://www.amazon.com/King-Clown-aka-Royal...f=cm_cr_pr_pb_i from YesAsia Limited Edition: http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/aid-...pid-1004191656/
원제 : 왕의 남자 감독 : 이준익 제작/배급 : ㈜이글픽쳐스,㈜씨네월드 주연 : 감우성, 정진영, 강성연, 이준기 개봉일 : 2005-12-29 부가정보 : 2005/드라마 http://kr.search.yahoo.com/search?fr=kr-se...%C7%B3%B2%C0%DA
Title: Wang-ui Namja [King's Man] Alternative titles - The King and the Clown / The Royal Jester Distributor: Eagle Pictures, CineWorld Director: Lee Joon-ik Starring: Gam Wuseong, Jeong Jinyeong, Kang Seongyeon, Lee Junki Release date: December 29, 2005 Genre: 2005 Drama poster8clfy2.jpgMore sites on King and the Clown: naver.com daum.net Unofficial Fansite (has much information about the movie - reviews, awards received, film festival news, news articles): http://www.wang-ui-namja.com/ Trailer: http://kr.movies.yahoo.com/Movie/Media/vod...4&mode=high mms://vod.cine21.com/cine21.com/movie/trailer/2005/10/manofking_teaser_tr_700k.wmv http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh_YVgnM9J0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WonH8k4WAC0 The Story: KING AND THE CLOWN. ("Wang-ui namja") Two clowns living in the Chosun Dynasty get arrested for staging a play that satirizes the king. They are dragged to the palace and threatened with execution, but are given a chance to save their lives if they can make the king laugh. Directed by Lee Joon-ik, who was highly successful with his period-set comedy Once Upon a Time in a Battlefield (2003), this film will star Gam Woo-sung (Spider Forest, R-Point) as one of the clowns and Jeong Jin-young (Hi Dharma, Guns & Talks) as the king. Distributor Cinema Service is planning a release on December 29. (koreanfilm.org) Music Video: Song in MV is "In-yeon" by Lee Seonhi. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tdnemc8HpA mms://211.234.100.72/art-service/kingman/kingman_MV.wmv mms://stream.cineseoul.com/hmusic/hmusic026509.wmv wmv format: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XN3GSTFZ (credits to seirin) avi format: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=64LAZ2MD (credits to seirin) Scenes from the movie: http://movie.naver.com/movie/bi/mi/photo.n...9894&page=1 Other tidbits: *King Yunsan is an actual historical figures from the Joseon period. *This movie is also an adaption of the musical play, "Yi." *An unexpected hit given it's storyline, setting, lack of "brand-name" cast (at the time), and budget, the film sold 12.3 million tickets. (KBS Global, Yonhap) 58p8000616ko.jpg

^ Did you read the Synopsis/Story thing I put in? I believe that would answer your question.

Unlike some movies, where homosexuality is the main theme, I don't think this movie's main focus is on male-male relationships. I think it's more of a subplot. (but this is just my prediction based on the trailer and synopsis. the movie hasn't been released and i haven't seen it yet :lol:)

^ Did you read the Synopsis/Story thing I put in? I believe that would answer your question.

Unlike some movies, where homosexuality is the main theme, I don't think this movie's main focus is on male-male relationships. I think it's more of a subplot. (but this is just my prediction based on the trailer and synopsis. the movie hasn't been released and i haven't seen it yet :lol:)

wah! You finally managed to find something! The last time we posted about the movie, I remember that I said I had thoughts on what the plot could be..I was half-right at least. lol

I hope it comes out on DVD region 1...I really want to see it.

>__<

thank you, teal.

=D

Oh, so that is a man, I thought it was a very manly woman, or a man in drag. Lee Junki is pretty looking.

Oh, so that is a man, I thought it was a very manly woman, or a man in drag. Lee Junki is pretty looking.

he's way too pretty (in the very male way) to be a girl. ^^

Here's regular pics in case people have never seen him:

(taken only a few days ago)

04023301626_60800030.jpg

older pic

00422873_2.jpg

(credits on pic/Yahoo Imagesearch)

if he looks familiar to anyone, but you don't know where you've seen him--he was in 2 MVs-Kang Sung Hoon's A Special Story, and Clazziquai's Sweety. He's also been in a couple of movies (Flying Boys w/ Yoon Kye Sang), including a Japanese one a while back, called Hotel Venus.

The hyung deul look pretty good too, especially Jeong Jin Young.

Kang Seongyeon in costume.

picture12gq.jpg

^ she looks pretty here. a bit doll like.

~

The music video for this movie. Song in MV is "In-nyeon" by Lee Seonhi.

mms://211.234.100.72/art-service/kingman/kingman_MV.wmv

The movie's getting good responses.

An article.

---------------------------------------

The King and the Clown Is Story of Everyman

http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?biid=2005122239048

2005122239048.jpg

DECEMBER 22, 2005 03:02

by Seung-Jae Lee (sjda@donga.com)

“The King and the Clown” is a very substantial movie. Taking even one scene out would be as dangerous as carving out a crucial organ from your body.

This movie teaches a lesson to the current filmmaking industry that is nearly choking with big words such as “visuals,” “style,” “actors’ guarantees worth over 400 million won,” “productions costs that exceed 10 billion won,” “filming in foreign locations,” and “star directors.” The lesson is the importance of the “basics.”

The movie’s plot takes place during the Joseon Dynasty. Jang-saeng (played by Gam Woo-sung) is a clown in the Namsadang troupe who abandons his troupe after realizing that it had degenerated into a plaything for the aristocrats. With a fellow clown named Gong-gil (played by Lee Joon-ki), whom he loves deep in his heart, Jang-saeng leaves for Hanyang for a new life. There he leads a show troupe and with his exceptional talent makes the troupe famous with a show that satirizes King Yeonsan (played by Chung Jin-young) and his favorite concubine, Nok-su (played by Kang Sung-yeon). King Yeonsan, who happens to see to the show, falls in love with the performance and provides living quarters for the clowns in the palace. He soon starts to cast amorous glances at Gong-gil, however, which causes Nok-su to fall into a jealous rage and devise an evil plot.

It is true that the phrase, “theatrical” has been used in a negative sense meaning “unrealistically exaggerated,” but “The King and the Clown” completely twists around the meaning of this phrase. This film is very “theatrical” in the sense that it has an absorption force so strong there is no time to question its reality. Based on “You (Yi),” the highly acclaimed play that received many awards since its first performance in 2000, the movie more than exceeded the quality of the play by wisely applying the original work’s scenario and dialogue, knowing what to put in and what to leave out.

Like the risky tightrope dancing performed by Jang-saeng and Gong-gil, this movie successfully walks the tightrope between jest and pathos, as well as between the hunger for power and the hunger for love. The last scene in which the two clowns walk on the tightrope together may well be the “last scene of the year.” The complicated love relationship that occurs between Jang-saeng, Gong-il and King Yeonsan goes beyond being a “special,” homosexual love and reaches the viewers as a “universal” concept of sad love. This is because the movie touches the sentiments of the viewers, teaching us that happiness and sorrow are, after all, twins that come from the same source.

The shows performed by Jang-saeng’s troupe and the doll play that Gong-gil performs for King Yeonsan are enjoyable in themselves as “plays within plays.” These scenes gradually blend into the main story, sometimes becoming a testimony to the characters’ emotions and sometimes predicting the characters’ fate. It is unbelievable that such a masterpiece could have been made with “only” 4.4 billion won. Moreover, the visuals in this movie bear a life of their own, due to the truthful directing that aims to dig into the deepest aspects of the characters’ emotions.

Lee Joon-ki, the mysteriously beautiful man, shows amazing freshness, and Gam Woo-sung’s distinct phonation especially shines in this period film. Chung Jin-young, always as good as usual though never gaining much attention, effectively reinvented the insane king by overwhelming the audience with an intensely expressionless face that looks ready to explode at any minute. The powerful force that comes from their acts makes it impossible for the audience to hate a single character in the movie. Perhaps all men in the world, whether good or bad, live like the men in “The King and the Clown,” harboring a patch of sorrow and remorse within their hearts.

Directed by Lee Joon-ik, director of “Once Upon a Time in a Battlefield.”

To be released on December 29. For ages 15 and up.

======

Lee Junki (Gong-gil) having make-up put on.

kingsman9ax.jpg

^ have no idea. never seen the movie (hasn't been released to the public). but the movie is rated 15 and up, so if that tells you anything...

I heard about this movie in a news thing my mom watches.....

Looks interesting BUT i dont like these type of movies so ya

thanks for the thread ~~

i heard quite very postive respond on this movie ^ and i like the director previous work once upon a time in battlefield so i waiting to watch this one too

here the MV

mms://stream.cineseoul.com/hmusic/hmusic026509.wmv

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting Serious About Clowning

Actor Gam Woo-sung Stars in Upcoming Film ‘King and the Clown’

By Kim Tae-jong

Staff Reporter

ensor200512192027150gam.jpg

Gam Woo-sung

Actors are often heard to say that their upcoming movie is the best in their film career, a phrase that now tends to sound like an old cliche. But when these words come from the mouth of actor Gam Woo-sung, you’re inclined to believe him.

He has taken a serious attitude to his acting career in the past 15 years, being very selective in his roles. He seems to know well what he can and cannot do, and works really hard to bring out his best once his role is set.

So it was quite unusual and interesting that he took the role of a clown in his new film ``King and the Clown’’ and says it is the best movie that he has ever starred in, prior to its release on Dec. 29.

``It’s really meaningful for me to star in this film,’’ Gam said in a recent interview with Yonhap News Agency. ``I don’t know if I can have a chance to work on a better scenario than this.’’

Based on the acclaimed play titled ``Yi,’’ now being staged at the Theater Yong, the film deals with the true story of Yonsan, a tyrant king of the Choson Kingdom, and his favorite court jester Kong-gil, with the addition of some fictional accounts and characters, such as clown leader Jang-saeng who Gam plays.

Co-starring Jung Jin-young and Lee Joon-gi, the film tells of the friendship between Kong-gil (played by Lee) and Jang-saeng and satirizes the social class through the affection of tyrannical ruler Yonsan (Jung) for clown Kong-gil, from the lowest rank in society.

For his role, Gam had to learn various skills for traditional performances intensively over the course of two months as the film contains scenes with traditional street opera, and the acrobatic, rope and mask dances.

``It was both hard and interesting to learn all the new skills. Although I didn’t have much time, I realized that doing my best really seemed to work out,’’ Gam recalled.

Making a debut in the 1990 television drama ``Paradise of Our Own,’’ he had played mainly modern and urban upper-middle class men with soft and kind images in many other television series.

But after he starred in his first film ``Marriage Is a Crazy Thing’’ in 2001 where he played a man who is intelligent and gentle but opposes the social system of marriage and seeks free dating, he started slowly gearing up to venture to play various roles.

He has since played some distinctive characters such as a man trapped in a confusing and mesmerizing sequence of events in the 2003 horror film ``Spider Forest’’; the leader of a South Korean squadron in Vietnam that looks into the mysterious disappearance of 18 soldiers in the 2004 horror thriller ``R-Point’’; and a young man who tries to deceive his father to succeed to his fortune in this year’s comedy ``A Bold Family.’’

After years of adventures playing various roles, Gam was finally able to star in the right film, ``King and the Clown’’ as he said it was a turning point in his 15-year movie career.

But as he knows well the limited roles for actors in their 40s and 50s in the local movie industry, the 35-year-old actor fears he doesn’t have much time to venture, which he finds really sad.

``It’s like now I’m dancing on a tightrope. You don’t know when you may fall,’’ Gam said to Sports Hankook, sports and entertainment daily.

But this adventurous actor may show us a whole new side, as he plans to start painting. Next year, after he marries actress Kang Min-a, whom he has been dating for 15 years, he plans to have a workshop in his house. He majored in oriental painting at university.

``Now I really want to draw. I’m dying to paint. I dream of holding my own exhibition in three or four years,’’ Gam said.

e3dward@koreatimes.co.kr

12-19-2005 18:59

i think koreans love to put homosexual "undertone" in their movies

majority of "scary" movies i've seen have this homosexual theme in it, like the WIG, better yet it doesn't even have to be a scary movie, look at "bungie jump" its a romance

thanks for the thread ~~

i heard quite very postive respond on this movie ^ and i like the director previous work once upon a time in battlefield so i waiting to watch this one too

here the MV

mms://stream.cineseoul.com/hmusic/hmusic026509.wmv

^ do you happen to know a cb with Once Upon a Time in Battlefield. the dialogue is said to be pretty funny.

i think koreans love to put homosexual "undertone" in their movies

majority of "scary" movies i've seen have this homosexual theme in it, like the WIG, better yet it doesn't even have to be a scary movie, look at "bungie jump" its a romance

^ i don't think all k-movies are like that. maybe it's just the ones you're coming across (cuz, i agree about those).

i'm looking forward to watching this <333 I heard that song for the mv back in july, I was wondering who the singer was~

^ yeah Lee Seonhi's got a nice voice. she's like a veteran gayo singer. i always remember her for wearing her glasses, it's like her trademark or something. ^^

Let's bring this thread to the front page. Since the movie opened yesterday, hope it does well!