Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

s@nbi

[movie 2007] Shadows In The Palace 궁녀

Park JinHee, Yoon SeAh, Seo YoungHee
i couldn't find a thread for this movie. I checked the official list of threads for movies but it wasn't on there. If a thread for this movie exists, mods please close this thread. thanks

Shadows In The Palace 궁녀

Max2007lady.jpg

DIRECTOR: Kim MiJung

LENGTH: 112 minutes

RELEASE DATE: 10.18.07

CAST

Im JungEun

Park JinHee

Seo YoungHee

Yoon SeAh

Kim NamJin

SYNOPSIS

Only silence will let you live.

A combination of mystery, murder, and suspense, Shadows In The Palace sees Park Jin Hee (Long Way, Underground Rendezvous) returning to the silver screen in a commanding role as a brave woman unmasking a murder case shrouded in a massive cloud of conspiracy. First-time director Kim Mi Jung was honored as the Best New Director at the 2007 Korean Film Awards for her ingenious sense of visuals which greatly heightened the appeal of the film. Offering plenty of cinematic thrills and chills, Shadows In The Palace challenges the audience to unlock a period psychological whodunit mystery through its mind-boggling serpentine plot and attention to details. Fans of the mystery genre will have their cryptic tastes sated by this cleverly crafted crime thriller.

During the Joseon era, a palace maid-in-waiting is found dead, hanging off the palace rafters. After conducting an autopsy, palace physician Chun Ryung (Park Jin Hee) discovers that the dead woman had previously borne a child, but no records of the child exist. Chun Ryung's superior orders her to close the case as suicide. Suspecting a cover up, Chun Ryung carries on the investigation on her own and discovers a love letter in the victim's possession. One by one, Chun Ryung interrogates potential suspects but all lips are sealed. With her superior plotting to find a scapegoat to end rising suspicions, Chun Ryung must crack the case before time runs out.

WATCH WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Credits: YesAsia + Yahoo Korea

Source: OhmyNews

'Shadows in the Palace'

A dark thriller exposes the underbelly of monarchical splendor

Kyu Hyun Kim (qhyunkim)

Published 2008-08-15 03:14 (KST)

qhyunkim_383380_1[672669].jpg

©2008 Achim Pictures/CJ Entertainment

The time is the Joseon dynasty -- unspecified but presumed to be around 18th century. The place is the women's quarters inside the court, entirely staffed by women and governed by their own inhumanly strict rules. In this world completely devoid of a male presence, a simple act of stealing might result in amputated hands, while falling in love with a male court officer might lead to a Grand Guignol-like semi-public execution.

A royal maid, Wol-ryung (Seo Young-hee, "Jealousy is My Middle Name"), is found dead by hanging in a room, an apparent suicide. However, the medical officer, Cheon-ryung (Park Jin-hee, "Spy Lee Chul-jin," "Love Talk"), uncovers that not only was Wol-ryung murdered, but also that she recently gave birth to a child.

The supervising officer, Kim Seong-ryung ("Rainbow Mask"), who wants to whitewash everything, and the royal concubine (Yoon Se-ah, "Blood Rain"), who has been promoted to the status of a queen thanks to her birthing of a Crown Prince, seek to sabotage Cheon-ryung's investigation for their respective reasons. Meanwhile, a supernatural "shadow-thing" with an agenda of its own seems determined to cause havoc as well.

qhyunkim_383380_1[672670].jpg

"Shadows in the Palace," written and directed by Kim Mi-jeong, who had assisted Lee Joon-ik in the megahit "The King and the Clown," is a gloomy, gory thriller that nonetheless presents a unique perspective on characters and a setting familiar from countless Korean TV dramas and movies.

Casting her film almost exclusively with actresses, Kim takes all the weepy melodramatics and bedroom politics out of this landscape and instead focuses on the anxiety, sacrifice and heinous suppression of human feelings forced on these women (graphically illustrated by an extraordinarily bloody scene in which one character sews a love poem on her thigh with golden threads) by the court system. While a few actresses are somewhat awkward mouthing period dialogue, and the leads Park Jin-hee and Yoon Se-ah look too modern to be convincing as pre-modern court ladies, in general the cast rises to the challenge posed by Kim.

Kim also does an admirable job with unspooling a rather complicated mystery plot and generating considerable suspense, culminating in a nightmarish, carnivalesque execution sequence swirling with the decadent miasma of a medieval ritual gone haywire.

qhyunkim_383380_1[672671].jpg

The film's main weakness is the completely unnecessary intrusion of the cascading-black-haired J-horror ghost into the narrative. Well, her motivation at least makes sense in this film, unlike many other PSC (Pointless Sadako Clone) infected summer horror flicks.

"Shadows in the Palace" was accused in some circles for being excessively dark and confusing, but I think it is a very promising debut by yet another Korean female director. It unflinchingly looks into the abyss of human cost that has always underlain the glamorous pageantry of Korean monarchy, and does so with considerable command over filmmaking skills and compassion toward its characters.

☆☆☆★★

©2008 OhmyNews

another great movie..

i couldnt understand it at first because im too afraid to watch it..

only on the second time of watching it i could understand the movie

Wow, I'm surprised more people haven't commented on this movie. I love mysteries, thrillers, suspenseful movies and this one was perfect. It's not just your typical horror movie with ghosts floating up and down and all over the place. There's a secret that you want to find out, and it makes you sit through the entire movie until you find out what it is. If you're going to watch this one, save it for a rainy Saturday night if you have no plans to go out. Get a blanket, and surround yourself with everything you like to munch on, you'll enjoy it.

I would have liked this movie better without the horror elements. Now I ended up skipping some parts because I was just so afraid watching it alone in the dark... x_x :ph34r::(

But it was quite interesting how it was all about women and all the main characters were women.

Done watching this movie! :sweatingbullets:

Gawd! I wasn't scared on the story, i was scared on the sound effects! LOL :Dvicx.gifw00t.gif

i watch this movie because of Seo Young Hee she's my favorite on Queen Seon Duk

She's great! Park Jin Hee is amazing too :):lol:

Done watching this movie! :sweatingbullets:

Gawd! I wasn't scared on the story, i was scared on the sound effects! LOL :Dvicx.gifw00t.gif

i watch this movie because of Seo Young Hee she's my favorite on Queen Seon Duk

She's great! Park Jin Hee is amazing too :):lol: