[Drama 2015] Shine or Go Crazy 빛나거나 미치거나

ChelseaS

soompitv-forum-banner_blue.jpg 

edited_banner_soc.jpg

Drama: Shine or Go Crazy (literal title)
Revised romanization: Bitnageona Michigeona
Hangul: 빛나거나 미치거나
Director: Son Hyeong-Seok
Writer: Hyun Go-Woon (novel), Kwon In-Chan, Kim Seon-Mi
Network: MBC
Episodes: 24
Release Date: January 19 - April 7, 2015
Runtime: Mondays & Tuesdays 22:00
Language: Korean
poster1_edited.jpg

Wang So (Jang Hyuk) is the Prince of Goryeo. He had a lonely childhood, due to his cursed fate. As he grew up, he realized his talent to become a King. Wang So looks bright, but he has a wounded mind. One day, he meets Shin Yool (Oh Yeon-Seo), who is the Last Princess of Balhae. She was born with the fate of becoming the light for another country. Because of her fate, she faces death. Through a one night marriage, Wang So and Shin Yool become connected and grow to love each other.

(asianwiki)

• Like 1

Shine or Go Crazy’s star-crossed lovers and fictionalized historyby javabeans | October 30, 2014 | 1 Comment

janghyuk_131.jpg

So the casting for Shine or Go Crazy’s leads is still in the not-confirmed-but-positively-considering stage (how many more news cycles do you think the production can milk that for?), but at least we’ve got more information about the drama’s plot, and some clarification on the personages involved.

Described as a fantasy romance sageuk set in early Goryeo (in the tenth century A.D.),Shine or Go Crazy depicts the love story between a Goryeo king and the last princess of Balhae (a kingdom whose last years overlapped with the early years of the Goryeo dynasty), and is based on a novel of the same name. (Those are the two leads being eyed by Jang Hyuk and Oh Yeon-seo.) The hero is Wang So, the fourth king of Goryeo posthumously known as Gwangjong, who instituted a number of reforms and had a stabilizing effect in his time… yet was also known for bloody purges in the name of strengthening royal authority, earning him the dubious distinction of being a “crazed king.”

Despite taking historical figures as the story’s basis, I think it’s safe to say the drama will take significant creative liberties. The hero is described as suffering from a curse, and through a chance encounter he meets the Balhae princess, who is destined to become the light of another nation — an understandably dire predicament. (The star- and nation-crossed lovers angle reminds me of Sword and Flower’s main conflict, but let’s hope for a better result than that.) The lovers have a “one-night marriage,” after which their love story turns plaintive and angst-ridden. I can imagine. So she’s his light, and he’s on the verge of crazy; turns out the title’s a lot more literal than I’d assumed.

Ryu Seung-soo has already been cast to play another Goryeo king, and despite earlier articles describing him as the second Joseon king, Jeongjong, that’s not the case after all. (Which is good to know, since I was twisting my brain inside out trying to figure out how the fourth Goryeo king and the second Joseon king could possibly be in the same drama, given the five centuries spanning between their reigns.) He’ll actually be the third Goryeo king, also known as Jeongjong (hence the confusion by earlier reporters), and is the hero’s older brother. Im Joo-hwan is also in talks to join the cast.

Shine or Go Crazy will follow Monday-Tuesday drama Pride and Prejudice and will premiere in January on MBC.

Via Star News

cr: Dramabeans

@ChelseaS,  Thanks for starting the thread and everybody should know that I'm a saguek lover..
I'm trying to remember how many Sagueks  Jang Hyunk has done.. Well happy he's able to provide for the wife and two kids.. Wonder what do she thinks of her husband being in demand like this and a lot of fangirls swooning all about him  

Guest fiovial

Komawo @ChelseaS‌ for creating this thread. Hello to familiar names from FTLY! ! :-h

I'm excited for this drama because let's face it Hyukie sizzles in sageuk garb.

@valsava‌ Jang Hyuk has done 3 sageuk prior to this drama. He did Daemang (Great Ambition), Chuno (Slave Hunter), and Tree With Deep Roots.

fiovial said: Komawo @ChelseaS‌ for creating this thread. Hello to familiar names from FTLY! ! :-h I'm excited for this drama because let's face it Hyukie sizzles in sageuk garb. @valsava‌ Jang Hyuk has done 3 sageuk prior to this drama. He did Daemang (Great Ambition), Chuno (Slave Hunter), and Tree With Deep Roots.

Guest fiovial

It is official. Jang Hyuk and Oh Yeon Seo are confirmed.

http://m.news.naver.com/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=106&oid=109&aid=0002917097

I'm on mobile right now. Will try to translate confirmation news when I'm on my PC unless the major drama blogs pick up this news.

Oh gosh @valsava‌ I can't quite remember where but there were a couple streaming sites that used to have Daemang. .but this was years ago though...

fiovial said: It is official. Jang Hyuk and Oh Yeon Seo are confirmed. http://m.news.naver.com/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=106&oid=109&aid=0002917097 I'm on mobile right now. Will try to translate confirmation news when I'm on my PC unless the major drama blogs pick up this news. Oh gosh @valsava‌ I can't quite remember where but there were a couple streaming sites that used to have Daemang. .but this was years ago though...

Guest Kdrama-lover

@ChelseaS‌ , Komawo yo!, for creating this thread. ;) :x Jang Hyuk rocks in saguek! Love, love, love Chuno and Deep-rooted Tree even more! :-bd =D>

Welcome everyone! >:D< >:D< >:D<

@yoeda @ruzikie @qwenli @suchadiva42 @valsava @fiovial @Kdrama-love

Thanks @fiovial for the confirmation!

Everyone, please bear with me as I update the 1st post. Any info/post on the plot, character descriptions, etc. will help a lot! =)

ChelseaS said: Welcome everyone! >:D< >:D< >:D<

@yoeda @ruzikie @qwenli @suchadiva42 @valsava @fiovial @Kdrama-love

Thanks @fiovial for the confirmation!

Everyone, please bear with me as I update the 1st post. Any info/post on the plot, character descriptions, etc. will help a lot! =)

itemprop="name" class="entry-title"Jang Hyuk and Oh Yeon Seo to star in ‘Shine or Go Crazy’

50389-272759-550x400.jpg

With MBC TV new Mon-Tue drama ‘Pride and Prejudice’ getting off to a great start this week with good ratings and rave reviews, the television station has now announced that ‘Shine and Go Crazy’ will be the follow-up drama which will premiere in January 2015.

Shine or Go Crazy‘ is a fiction fantasy romance sageuk adapted from a novel of the same name. It is set in the early Goryeo period, and depicts the love story between a Goryeo king, Wang So, and the last princess of Balhae, Shin Yul.

The early period of the Goryeo dynasty haven’t really been adapted into dramas. Wang So is enveloped in in power struggle in the early period of the Goryeo dynasty, while Shin Yul has to face up against a mighty force, and the two are expected to light up the drama in their own ways.

The two have a ‘one-night marriage’ which makes them inseparable, and they begin their love story from hence on. Wang So is loosely based modeled after the fourth king of Goryeo who was posthumously known as Gwangjong. Gwangjong was a king who instituted a number of reforms in early Goryeo, and was a pivotal figure in ensuring the stability of the nation and society. But he also carried out a number of bloody purges in the name of strengthening royal authority, and was thus nicknamed as the ‘crazy king.’

‘Shine or Go Crazy’ will depict the life of Gwangjong before he takes the throne, and will be a fictionalized story that incorporates a love story along the way. The drama will also show Gwangjong’s ability to rule as a king, and how he understands himself in the process, and the drama is expected to draw in viewers from all age groups.

Shin Yul meanwhile will be unlike the usual passive woman roles in sageuk. Shin Yul positively sets out to shape her own destiny, and is also adept at crafting schemes to go up against strong foes, and is regarded as an outstanding Balhae heroine.

Continue Reading...Kpopfighting

Guest Kdrama-lover

Thanks a lot @ChelseaS‌ , for the update news! I am confident with PD bcoz he kept me on my toes and so anxious waiting for the next episodes while watching his previous work Two Weeks! Another plus point to look forward to his collaboration with Jang Hyuk! :-bd \:D/ >:D<