[movie 2007] Brilliant Vacation / May 18 (화려한 휴가)

joonage

Kim SangKyung. Ahn SungGi. Lee YoWon. Lee JunKi. Park ChulMin.

화려한 휴가

Brilliant Vacation / May 18

MoviePoster.jpgPoster2.jpgPoster3.jpg

DIRECTOR

Director.jpg

김지훈

Kim JiHoon

STARRING

KimSangKyung.jpgAhnSungGi.jpgLeeYoWon.jpgLeeJunKi.jpgParkChilMin.jpg

김상경 --------- 안성기 --------- 이요원 -------- 이준기 --------- 박철민

Kim SangKyung - Ahn SungGi - Lee YoWon - Lee JunKi - Park ChulMin

BRIEF SUMMARY

1980년 5월, 광주.

그 날을 믿을 수가 없었습니다. 아니 믿기 싫었습니다.

광주에 사는 택시기사 민우(김상경 분). 어릴 적 부모님을 여의고 끔찍이 아끼는 동생 진우(이준기 분)와 단둘이 사는 그는 오직 진우 하나만을 바라보며 평범한 일상을 살고 있다. 진우와 같은 성당에 다니는 간호사 신애(이요원 분)를 맘에 두고 사춘기 소년 같은 구애를 펼치는 그는 작은 일상조차 소중하다. 이렇게 소소한 삶을 즐기는 이들에게 어느 날 갑자기, 생각지도 못한 무시무시한 일이 벌어진다. 무고한 시민들이 총,칼로 무장한 시위대 진압군에게 폭행을 당하고 심지어 죽임을 당하기까지 한다. 눈 앞에서 억울하게 친구, 애인, 가족을 잃은 그들은 퇴역 장교 출신 흥수(안성기 분)을 중심으로 시민군을 결성해 결말을 알 수 없는 열흘 간의 사투를 시작 하는데…

Anybody want to translate? I can understand, but I'm not the best at translating. :sweatingbullets: haha

I'll give you credit if you do. :)

WEBSITES

OFFICIAL SITE: http://www.rememberu518.co.kr/index.asp

CINE21: http://www.cine21.com/Movies/Mov_Movie/mov...il.php?id=19824

DAUM CAFE: http://cafe.daum.net/rememberu518

WALLPAPERS (1280x1024)

[1] --- [2] --- [3]

MORE POSTERS

[1] --- [2] --- [3] --- [4]

MOVIE PREMIERE: July 26, 2007

REMEMBER 5.18

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Epikt

The internationnal title seams to be May 18.

Here is the Cine21 page of the mmovie, with pictures and so on (in Korean).

You can download the trailer here.

And here is an article about the movie on Twitch.

Otherwise, it's another movie dealing with Kwang-ju uprising in 1980.

And it seams to be a big tearjerker, miles away from a masterpiece like A petal (which can not be found in DVD, what is a real shame :tongue2: )

Finished the first post.

I will update as the movie comes out and as it gains more popularity ...

It looks like a great movie ... Seems very sad ... Hope everyone sees it ...

Contribute with articles and photos. Make this thread big. :)

If you want to support the movie in your signature ...

[size=3][url="http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=148010"]

[img=http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5857/bannerre7.jpg]

[color="#000080"][b]REMEMBER MAY 18[/b][/url][/color][/size]

:D

thanks for the thread . the premier conference was held recently

11861_1.jpg

U1345P28T3D1626653F326DT20070705191617.jpg

there had been a few articles released for this movie ^ .

===========

Director has a mission to remember

July 11, 2007

10213330.jpg

Director Kim Ji-hoon working on “Remember U 518.” [JoongAng Ilbo]

In January, Cine 21, a film magazine, surveyed readers to find out which event in modern Korean history they wanted to see depicted in a movie. Among the 542 people who answered, 41.5 percent picked the Gwangju Democratic Movement of May 1980.

At the end of this month director Kim Ji-hoon will satisfy their wishes with his new film titled “Remember U 518.” The Korean title of the movie refers to the code name for the military strategy that the regime initiated at 3 p.m. on May 18 to block civilian protest against the military regime.

“Remember U 518” is director Kim’s second film. His first was “Harbor Mokpo” (2004). The new film will star Ahn Sung-ki, Kim Sang-kyung, and Lee Yo-won.

The JoongAng Ilbo spoke to the director.

“I came across the Gwangju incident when I entered Hanyang University,” Kim said. “Until then, I had thought that the movement was just a rioters’ rebellion. I was embarrassed by my ignorance and indifference.”

Kim added that when he found out what really happened, he promised himself that he would make a movie and reveal the truth.

10213403.jpg

Scenes from “Remember U 518,” a film about the 1980 democracy movement in Gwangju.

The Gwangju movement has always been a subject of controversy as it involves the violent suppression of the people during General Chun Doo Hwan’s regime. After the assassination of Park Chung Hee, Chun seized power and declared martial law to suppress the pro-democracy movement.

When martial law was imposed, students in Gwangju protested in front of Chonnam National University. Soon after, they moved to the downtown area, where other citizens joined the protest. According to an official investigation conducted by the civilian government, 207 were killed and 987 injured in the violence that followed. This number is subject to dispute and many think the toll was much higher.

“With such a sensitive story, I didn’t want to harass the Gwangju citizens or the bereaved families,” Kim said.”

The movie focuses on Min-woo, a taxi driver who lost his parents when he was young and lives with his younger brother Jin-woo. One day he sees citizens violently attacked and suppressed by the military and many are killed or injured. Friends, families and lovers are lost and the struggle to survive begins. Some critics say that since Kim is a young director and didn’t experience the incident first hand there is a limit to how he can capture the true emotions of the incident.

“All I wanted was to reflect the pain and sorrow that people faced during that period,” Kim said in response. “I added a bit of cinematic imagination to the characters in order to reveal their genuine sentiments.” He wanted the film to be more than a documentary.

“It’s not fiction though,” said Kim, “I reorganized and recombined the characters based on the known facts.”

Kim’s recreation of the story includes the characters’ use of standard language. Despite the fact that people from Gwangju have a pronounced accent, all the characters, except In-bong (Park Cheol-min) and Yong-dae (Park Won-sang) speak standard Korean.

“I felt that the characters’ use of the Gwangju accent would ruin the story’s true feeling and might make it seem comic. In Park Cheol-min’s case, he is from Gwangju and Park Won-sang is very proficient with accents since he used to work in the theater.”

10213415.jpg

Scenes from “Remember U 518,” a film about the 1980 democracy movement in Gwangju.

He also said that he met many people from Gwangju while shooting. “The Gwangju people say they hope the movie will attract a big audience, so that people realize the incident was not just a tragedy for Gwangju but for the whole of modern-day Korea.”

Twenty-seven years have passed since the uprising. The military regime that suppressed Gwangju has been punished and the rights of the people have been restored. “If I focused to much on this aspect, it would be a rather serious and dull drama,” said Kim.

“Rather than focusing on the incident, I wanted the movie to based on character, so that people today realize the emotional pain that people experienced,” Kim said.

Talking about emotions, Kim said shooting the film often made him sad. “My first baby was born during the shoot,” he said. “At the same time I met families of victims and realized how much they had lost through the premature death of their loved ones.”

“I was very moved by Kim Sang-kyung’s acting,” he said. “I just couldn’t stop crying. I even forgot to say ‘cut’ I was too full of grief and sorrow.”

By Lee Hoo-nam JoongAng Ilbo [estyle@joongang.co.kr]

source

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2877859

Guest Krain5

This movie seems very interesting- not to mention that Lee JunKi is in it. I've been a fan of his since the King and the Clown. I hope this movie gets more publicity. Thanks for posting.

this movie's gonna be great!!

seems really interesting!! i love this kinda movie^^

it seems really real!

Lee YoWon's acting in it!!!

the actors & actresses acting are awesome !!

can't wait to watch this!!

Guest wakeywakey

Lee Yo Wonnnn! i love this actress. loved in Fashion 70's and Surgeon Bong Dal Hee. i dunno. she has something unique about her although she isn't the best of the best out there. what's this movie about? i'll probably look forward to it when i get an idea about the plot. i'll be back! plus Lee Jun Ki is in it!

I wonder when the dvd release date is for this movie though... (unless I missed something)

Probably not for a few months.

The movie comes out next Friday ...

so I'm guessing it'll be in theaters for roughtly 2 months and have a 1 month period between theater and DVD. Just my guess ... haha

July 16 2007

May 18: Dark Politics, Warm People

20077151355545499lz6.jpg

Upcoming film May 18 carries a heavy load on its shoulders. The film portrays the Gwangju Uprising, a defining moment in Korea’s modern history. 27 years ago, students of Gwangju initiated a protest against suppressive measures of the military dictator CHUN Doo Hwan and they were joined by other citizens; it resulted in the citizens taking control of the city.

However, CHUN answered with military force against the civilians and from May 18, 1980 until May 21 hundreds of civilians lost their lives and thousands were wounded.

At a press conference, director KIM Ji-hoon said that he wanted to make an accurate film of the massacre and to do justice to the people involved. Reportedly, at special screenings in Gwangju, the audience was emotionally overwhelmed by the film and applauded the film.

But there is another side to the film, stressed by director KIM and the actors. Director KIM explained that he wanted to focus on the people rather than sort of documenting the events. Therefore, he brought human aspects to the foreground.

AHN Sung-ki pointed out the heartwarming aspects of the film and the comical touches, which are often overlooked. Other actors also pronounced similar views on the film when they highlighted scenes between loved ones, along with emotionally heavy scenes and the importance of the subject matter.

Yi Ch’ang-ho (KOFIC)

Guest Epikt

actually A petal can be found on dvd - here :)

Hum... it's a tracker... not exactly what I call a DVD <_<

Thanks anyway, I love this movie, I'll finally be able to see it with subs.

But it doesn't change the problem, A Petal is still not available in DVD in a commercial version. It sucks. It's a shame. Korean DVD publishers suck anyway, they only focus on lastest releases. :fury:

(sorry for out-topic post)

July 26, 2007

'May 18' Vividly Paints History

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

10116xc6.jpg

The tragedy of the 1980n Gwangju Democratization Movement is revived on screen

as an unlikely hero (Kim Sang-kyung, right) risks his life to protect his brother (Lee Jun-ki).

/ Courtesy of CJ Entertainment

"May 18" demonstrates the power of cinema as it halts the inevitable passage of time with its clutch on the immortal spirit of its characters. Depicting the harrowing events of the 1980 Gwangju Democratization Movement, the film paints a colorful portrait of life during the fateful period and painfully evokes a fading scar in modern history. It pays homage to the unnamed men, women and children whose lives were forever altered by the turmoil.

MAY 17: Military top dog Chun Doo-hwan (who would shortly become president, 1980-88), enforces martial law.

MAY 18: Military troops suppress pro-democracy student uprisings, including that of Chonnam (Jeonnam) National University in Gwangju.

Orphaned taxi driver Min-wu (Kim Sang-kyung) had lived each day humbly and conscientiously, so that his studious younger brother Jin-wu (Lee Jun-ki) can enter college, while providing free rides for the lovely nurse Sin-ae (Lee Yo-won).

When mayhem breaks loose, Min-wu vengefully picks up a gun after losing Jin-wu while Sin-ae risks her life to treat the injured.

Headed by Sin-ae's father Heung-su (Ahn Sung-ki), a former military man, the local citizens form armed civil militias. The "Citizen Army" maintains control over the city.

But portrayed by the media as terrible Communist sympathizers, they soon realize the futility of their resistance. As the final showdown with government troops nears, young fathers, middle-aged teachers and even the elderly town priest unite to fight to the end, and to their death.

MAY 27: Some 200,000 airborne and ground troops defeat the militia in less than 90 minutes, under an ironic code name roughly translated as "Lavish Holiday," the Korean title of the film. As of 2003, records tally 207 dead, 2,392 wounded and 987 "miscellaneous victims," but exact figures remain undisclosed to this day.

Director Kim Ji-hoon ("Mokpo, Gangster's Paradise," 2004) offers an uncolored view of the 10-day tragedy. Only deep sympathy for victims resonates.

The film does not translate political messages, but shows that peaceful democracy has a price and speaks of the universal values of love and camaraderie: How, in the face of a force that threatens their loved ones, ordinary men and women fearlessly transform into epic heroes.

Soldiers and civilians, though bound by common patriotic values, are forced to stand on opposing sides. A chilling massacre unfolds while the national anthem blazes in the background. The soldiers are evil machines of a militant power, but not inherently diabolic: Dispatched just after hell camp, the hot-blooded men are hostile and irrational.

Devoid of illusive cinematographic effects or complicated narrative ploys, ``May 18'' is pure drama captured from a naked camera lens. Its core strengths derive from amiable characters, inspired by real-life victims and played by veteran actors, and cleverly crisscrossed relationships.

The film is melodramatic, but the fruits of its sappiness are ripe, not bursting. Sprinkles of good old humor keep it buoyant amid the heavy drama (otherwise it could have drowned). Particularly, two ``Dumb and Dumber'' buddies (Park Cheol-min and Park Won-sang) provide classic comic relief.

Other moments of joy, though extremely romanticized, bring smiles. Yet, the glimmering sketches of optimism intensify the heartbreak, for viewers are fully aware of the tragic finale.

"May 18" is a breath of fresh air for dusty historical accounts and a soothing relief for the staggering domestic film industry. Having opened across some 520 screens across the country Wednesday, the historical drama is drawing crowds -- and tears -- by the lot.

The film will pull at your heartstring and shake up even those with the most unaffected sentimental chords. Don't forget your handkerchief.

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2...7/135_7237.html

Guest JENNNNNA

I definetely want to see thiss. I like how Lee jun ki is a side character. It's going to be interesting to see taht sort of acting coming from him. &

Guest Epikt

I still think it'll do well in the box office ...

I agree.

For big movies like that (even if we are never sure of a success), box office is mainly matter of abvertising and distribution. Especially for historical movies dealing with recent local events like Kwangju uprising. Of course, if there are bad reviews and/or bad word of mouth the box-office will be lower than expected, but there still have people to go see it because they saw it on TV and that it deals with Kangju.

(arg, I know sure i made it clear :/ )

About Mark Russel's review, even if I hadn't seen the movie yet and I don't have the same interests than him (I don't care about the political engagement of the movie), I'm affraid I will agree with him.

(anyway, generaly, this guy has good taste)

July 30, 2007

Korean box office gets boost

'May 18' opens to $10.1 million

By DARCY PAQUET

South Korean cinema received a much-needed shot in the arm this weekend as CJ Entertainment's big-budget "May 18" opened to $10.1 million - a massive result equivalent to a $60 million B.O. in the U.S.

With generally positive word of mouth, pic seems a good bet to become the first blockbuster hit in what has been a disappointing year for local films. Five-day opening tally, estimated by the distributor at 1.45 million admissions, narrowly beat out CJ's own "Voice of a Murderer" (1.41 million) for Korean cinema's strongest opening of the year.

Pic easily topped "Live Free or Die Hard" in its second frame, as well as "Ratatouille" in its first, to take No. 1.

Directed by Kim Ji-hoon, "May 18" is based on a real-life pro-democracy uprising in the city of Gwangju in 1980 in which perhaps thousands of civilians were killed by soldiers sent in by the authoritarian government.

Given its poor track record in big-budget ($10 million-plus) productions over the past couple years, CJ Entertainment was said to be facing an internal shakeup in the event that "May 18" failed to perform.

But with market share for local films dipping to a six-year low of 41%, even rival companies have been hoping for CJ to score a hit to reassure nervous investors.

Meanwhile, rival studio Showbox is preparing to go wide with its own do-or-die project, "D-War," on Wednesday.

English-language pic starring Jason Behr and concerning a giant serpent that smashes up Los Angeles has been the subject of an unprecedented media blitz. Director-comedian Shim Hyung-rae has staked his reputation on film's U.S. bow on Sept. 14 via Freestyle Releasing.

Any failure to recoup pic's stated $35 million budget (at one time pegged at $70 million, including start up costs for f/x company Younggu Art) could have dire consequences for Showbox, which has been one of the most active investors in local films over the past few years.

Source: Variety.com

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111796943...yid=13&cs=1

July 31, 2007

True Stories Offer Hope of Rebound for Korean Cinema

Shaky, unstable and overshadowed -- these are a few words to describe the overall mood in Korea's film industry during the first six months of the year.

Domestic movies took a beating from Hollywood at the box office starting with "Spider-Man 3" in May followed by "Pirates of the Caribbean" "Shrek the Third" and "Transformers."

Korean cinema did start the year on a hopeful note with the release of a drama based on a real, high-profile kidnapping in the 1990s.

Critics in Korea say films based on true stories will remain hot continuing a trend that caught on earlier this year.

A good example is the drama "Splendid Vacation." Just four days after its nationwide release last Wednesday it has drawn more than a million moviegoers.

A film that deals with the 1980 Gwangju massacre in which over 200 students and protesters died topped this past weekend's box office, a first for a Korean film in five weeks.

Another reality-based drama set to hit screens later this 2nd half is "Women's Team Handball." It shows the burning desire to win by Korea's national handball team at the 2004 Athens Olympics.

"D-War" director Shim Hyung-rae worked with Hollywood actors and crew and a production budget of US$30 million to complete his film.

The English-language film took six years to complete and is one of just a few big-budget works to merge talent from both sides of the Pacific.

After a disappointing first half that saw not a single domestic blockbuster such hybrid efforts may just be what the industry needs.

Source: Arirang News

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0707310002.html

Archived