Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Anyone From Ucla?

363 posts in this topic

Posted

Tips & info appreciated! :)
Why is it that I couldn't find an active thread for UCLA students? Where is the love? :lol:

I'll be going to UCLA for Fall '07 as an exchange student! Aaaand to be quite honest, I really don't know much about where I'm going. On top of that, I will know absolutely no-one. I'm definitely gonna be out of my comfort zone, but hopefully it'll be an awesome experience, and I'm just wondering if there are any other "Bruins" here @ Soompi? Or even anyone in the L.A. vicinity who can give me a rundown of L.A. from a local's point of view --- getting around, hot spots, night life, etc.

Oh yeah, I have yet to organise living arrangements. I realise the deadline to apply for housing was June 1 or something, but I wasn't sent my UCLA logon ID until mid July -_- The email still encouraged me to apply, but I don't know whether I want to live on-campus or off-campus. Which is the cheaper option? Even if I live on-campus, I would like to eat my own food! Are meal-plans the norm, or what? Most college students in Australia still live at home so dorming is a new concept to me.

IF YOU ARE, OR YOU KNOW ANYONE LOOKING FOR A ROOMMATE, LET ME KNOW!

Also, any tips for American campus culture? Hah, I think I've got to join a sorority - that is SO American.

Posted

Why is it that I couldn't find an active thread for UCLA students? Where is the love? :lol:

I'll be going to UCLA for Fall '07 as an exchange student! Aaaand to be quite honest, I really don't know much about where I'm going. On top of that, I will know absolutely no-one. I'm definitely gonna be out of my comfort zone, but hopefully it'll be an awesome experience, and I'm just wondering if there are any other "Bruins" here @ Soompi? Or even anyone in the L.A. vicinity who can give me a rundown of L.A. from a local's point of view --- getting around, hot spots, night life, etc.

Oh yeah, I have yet to organise living arrangements. I realise the deadline to apply for housing was June 1 or something, but I wasn't sent my UCLA logon ID until mid July -_- The email still encouraged me to apply, but I don't know whether I want to live on-campus or off-campus. Which is the cheaper option? Even if I live on-campus, I would like to eat my own food! Are meal-plans the norm, or what? Most college students in Australia still live at home so dorming is a new concept to me.

Also, any tips for American campus culture? Hah, I think I've got to join a sorority - that is SO American.

Congrats. You'll love it. And I'm sure you'll meet a lot of people because there will be a lot like you in similar situations. They have a nice bus system people use for like .25. Good places to eat are In N Out and Diddy Reese. It'll be fun.

Posted

Living off campus is definitely cheaper. If you live on campus I'm pretty sure they just charge you in full with the meal plan (I think). You can apply, but most likely you will get a triple.

Have fun :D

Posted

Hi there!

Welcome to UCLA. Hehe.

Anyway, it's a lot cheaper to live off campus. You can cook your own food and such. If you want a meal in the dining hall just find someone with premier and ask them to swipe you in. At our school we have a meal plan system, and if a person has a plan called "premier" it means they can swipe other people in to eat. So just make friends and be social. ;D As for joining a sorority, if you're that type of person go for it. But I heard the pledging process is tough. I've found that this forum is a lot of help:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45

You can post up a thread and ask whatever questions you have. I'm sure people would be more than willing to help.

Do you have facebook with a UCLA e-mail or anything? You can access the UCLA marketplace to look up current listing for housing, and I think that craigslist would work too. => http://ucla.facebook.com/marketplace/?b=

Good luck with everything and feel free to PM me with anymore questions you might have! I'll try my best to help, but again, the links I posted above proved really helpful to answer mine and other's questions about UCLA. =D

Posted

Hey fellow bruin. I'm going to UCLA this fall too. I'm getting a triple dorm though. I heard it's more social and a good way to make new friends for incoming freshmen. I'm also from LA :] I think you'll like UCLA because you can go to so many places. There's Santa Monica beach next to it and In-N-Out is a block away! :D If you like clubbin` you go to hollywood. There's so many clubs there. There's also korean town, china town, thai town, etc.

Posted

A triple is so small though. I've never lived in a triple. Can't imagine it. Anyways, it is a good way to meet people and I'm pretty sure you didn't have many options since they're trying to put all the freshmen in triples to provide housing to everyone. Just hope that your two roommates aren't messed up because if you don't get along with them the room will seem awfully small...

Posted

yay bruins!!! im gonna be attending ucla in the fall. a bit excited and a bit nervous... ahah. im living in a triple at.. dykstra..? hope its a good experience. i havent decided on my major or classes.......... HELP ME.........

Posted

I'm going to be a freshman at UCLA this fall too. And ya I was wondering why there wasn't any UCLA topics on Soompi. Anyways, I actually like the cafeteria food there.. haha. Have you guys attended orientation yet? Mine's session 109 and it starts on August 21st.

Posted

UCLA is ranked as the #1 (switch on and off with Cornell University) for having the best college food in the nation. That's what I was told during orientation. Mine was 107. Good luck with yours!

Posted

i'm tripling this coming year...a downgrade from my double last year. and the food ain't all that...oh and i also came to UCLA without knowing anyone but don't worry you'll make friends

Posted

I'm going to be a freshman at UCLA this fall too. And ya I was wondering why there wasn't any UCLA topics on Soompi. Anyways, I actually like the cafeteria food there.. haha. Have you guys attended orientation yet? Mine's session 109 and it starts on August 21st.

Hey! i went to session 109 too =]

Posted

wow congratzzz~~!!!!

I dont go there but planning in 2 yearssss!!

sorry for my useless post

Posted

Hey! i went to session 109 too =]

REALLY!? we might know each other.. haha. well orientation was so much fun, it really got me excited to go to UCLA.

Posted

REALLY!? we might know each other.. haha. well orientation was so much fun, it really got me excited to go to UCLA.

lol yeahhhh same here. i was like "I CAN'T WAIT FOR SCHOOL TO START!"

Posted

About time for a UCLA thread :) haven't seen one around.

Got a triple in Hedrick Hall. Attended Orientation 102 which I think was sort of like the Athlete's orientation or so I heard? (saw lots of recruits there)

Anyways, I'm pretty anxious to start. Just hope the triple isn't too bad :rolleyes:

Posted

I lived in a Hedrick Summit triple so we had more room. If you're in the res halls, you learn to cope. It's a lot more social though so I guess that part's good. Just wear flip flops when showering. You don't know what lives there...

Welcome 1st years!

Posted

oh hey~ what floor are you on vince? I'm in hedrick too =)!~

Posted

There's a lot of Hedrick residents here. I actually wanted to get Rieber Hall but I was given Dykstra. Any former Dykstra Residents here? :]

Posted

i'm living in a double in Hedrick Summit, but my roommate and suitemates are all sophomores so i'm kind of intimidated haha.

anyways, wow choosing classes at orientation took such a long time. my friends and i sat there for like 8 hours trying to make our schedules. haha

Posted

The user and all related content has been deleted.