Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Korean Weight Chart

67 posts in this topic

Posted

please help!!!!-- NOT american
Does anyone have access to/share Korea's (or an Asian) standard weight and height chart?

All I know are America's standard chart, and I think it is culturally unfair to minorities like Asian Americans who have to conform to America's own standard. Koreans, and most Asians in general, have a more slender, petite frame than other ethnicities, and I myself have always been 5 ft. 1 and averaged 97 pounds. I DO NOT have an eating disorder. Both my parents are extremely slim (and tiny too)- my 5 ft 4 mom was 94 pounds when she was pregnant with me at 30 years old, to give you an idea of how skinny our family is. But now my (very white) doctors think I might be anorexic because I recently went in for a checkup and apparently I meet one of the criteria for anorexia: I "fall below the 85th percentile of America's standards." I have argued with them that this is unfair because (1) this is the ONLY criteria I meet for the disorder (Where's my obsession with weight? my self-induced starvation? if you ask my friends they'll tell you I eat like a horse) and (2) they are not taking into account my ethnic and family history. I'm getting frustrated because they say I HAVE to be at least 100 pounds... so I said "Fine" and I have been consuming more calories than not and trying to bulk up to gain muscle mass... I've been doing this for a while and I still can't seem to gain to 100- my body just won't let me! I'm tired of arguing with my doctors, who keep telling me "I'm not trying hard enough"- my eyes just get big with their ignorance and CULTURAL INSENSITIVITY in expecting a very Korean girl to fit into very American standards. I want to show my doctors proof that there are different standards out there- America's ways are not universal.

So please, I would be really, REALLY grateful to someone who can show me an ASIAN version of the height and weight standard. I'm sure Korea has their own... but I just don't know where to find one. Actually, ANY non-American standard would do, just so I can show my doctors that there are others out there. So please... anyone???

Posted

sorry i can't be much help but all i know is that i think, a small in the US is considered a medium in asia isn't it ? and so goes on.

Posted

5 ft 1 and 97 lbs is not overly thin according to the BMI charts. It's 18.3 and that is hardly dangerously "underweight". Tell your doctor he should not be so concerned because weight really depends on a number of factors, including your bone mass - as most asians tend to have lighter bone mass/smaller bones than caucasians.

I weigh 5'5 and 105 and the BMI is at 17.8 and I would not consider myself excessively underweight. It really just depends on the person. You should consider switching doctors if he's making false accusations that are truly uncalled for.

Posted

There is a way you can tell what your body frame is and than decide where your weight should be.

LINK But I'm sure this still goes by the American Standard. I suggest you find the thread with the poll where people posted their height and weight. Since most people on Soompi are asian you can compare it to that.

Most doctors in America don't look for 'hardly dangerously underweight' just a little underweight is usually enough for them to be concerned.

Another suggestion is find an Asian doctor. He might understand better.

Posted

You may have better luck going to an asian doctor. When I went to one in high school (when I was 5' 2" and 95 lbs), their weight/height chart suggested I was underweight, but my doctor assured me I was normal for an asian.

Posted

im not sure but this might help you... but you need to know your weight in kg and height in m..http://www.obesityresearch.org/cgi/content/full/13/9/1510

i just found another website and this one looks more helpful here it is:

http://kosis.nso.go.kr/cgi-bin/sws_888.cgi...0.1.2.3.4.5.6.7

Posted

You're not fat, I am -_- at 5'1 and 107 lbs, compared to you. ><

Posted

I'm 5 feet 1 and half inches tall.

And weigh 100 pounds.

And my Asian doctor said that I'm alright. And I did this survey on the internet and they said I'm normal.

Posted

All I know are America's standard chart, and I think it is culturally unfair to minorities like Asian Americans who have to conform to America's own standard.

I really don't see how it's unfair since you are in America.

Here's the only one I could find, but I don't know how much it'll help you out.

http://aadi.joslin.harvard.edu/asianclinic/114.htm

Posted

I weigh about 94-95 pounds and I'm 5 foot 2.

My doctor, who is korean, says I'm good.

I think you probably fine^^

Posted

I'm 5'2.5 and 92 pounds. My doctor says that I'm average.

Posted

Reading this makes me feel very heavy.

Posted

i'm 5'1" and 87-88lb... and my doctor says i'm normal... and shes white too. o_o

i dont know... try shoving the truth in her face. lol. ahh... i sound so obnoxious. oh well.

Posted

I really don't see how it's unfair since you are in America.

I was thinking the same thing... unless she's in Korea.

Posted

When I went to the doctor I was 5'2 and 95 pounds. She just told me to try and gain weight.

Posted

Reading this makes me feel very heavy.

me too... T__T

Posted

Is this a new doctor you're going to? Because I've been going to the same doctor since I was a kid (who is white), so they know my progress in terms of weight and height. Even though I may be considered underweight (I'm 5'1", 94 lbs, BMI of 17.8), this is normal FOR ME, and my doctor has never mentioned to me that I may be unhealthy. Unless you have gotten really skinny, very quickly, you should speak to your doctor and make them look at your past height/weight info to prove to them that you're not anorexic.

Posted

maybe you should get a new doctor. i'm 5'1" and 93 lbs and any doctor i've ever seen says i'm healthy. people are just built differently, and a good doctor would understand that (to an extent, of course). why do you have to work so hard to convince your doctor that your eating habits are acceptable? as long as you know, that's all that matters (in this case).

Posted

Ugh I really dislike culturally insensitive people. If I were you, I wouldn't even bother trying to convince him and I'd switch doctors. Even if you printed him a chart you found online, I doubt he'd take it seriously. But like the above poster said, does he know your past health history? And those of your parents? I don't know, even if he continues to complain that you're anorexic, he can't force you to eat or get psychological help or anything. I'm 5'6" and 105 lbs, and my check-ups always show that I'm healthy. Tell him straight-up that he's being culturally insensitive.

Posted

ahh this is making me feel fat! haha You guys are so light.