How much money do you spend in a month?

50 posts in this topic

Posted

So I was just doing some math to figure out how much money I would save in a year at my current rate and broke down my expenses with averages and such on a per month level:

1) Food (daily) - 465$
2) Weekend going out - 500$
3) Phone - 30$ (No smartphone)
4) Internet - 30$ (DSL)
5) Electricity - 30$
6) Car insurance - (2k a year which averages to 166$ a month)
7) Gas - 140$

About 1361$ a month. I don't pay rent cause I live at home.

What are your expenses and breakdowns?

Posted

Dang, you spend a lot on food o_O
Based on monthly averages:

Food - $200 to $250Phone - N/A (parents pay for now, at least until contract expires)Rent & Utilities - $650Car Insurance - $1k to 1.5k a year. Parents have paid thus far, but I'll soon be taking over.Gas - $60 to $100Fun Misc Stuff - $100 to $300

Posted

I have a very simple lifestyle, I only go out once in a while. I also don't have a car and I pay little amount on rent, electricity and internet since I live with my parents around $300 (this also includes some of my meals). I basically spend on food but not that much only around $100 (I don't eat lunch whenever I'm busy at work which is almost all the time -_-). Because of this I pretty much save more than half of my hard-earned money :)

Posted

I have been living on my own for the past 4 years.

Rent : $950 (includes all utilities)

Cell phone: $95 (smartphone + one additional line w/company discount)

Food: $160

Credit Card : $125 minimum payment

Insurance : $200 (auto & motorcycle)

Gasoline: $125

Cable: $70 (internet only. No cable TV)

Netflix: $8

Personal items : $100

Monthly average : $1708

Posted

ooo this is interesting...

food: $80 for groceries, +$30/week eating out. = $200
utilities: $50
internet: $20
gasoline: $40
rent: $650
________

total: $960

I make $1,300/mo =X I'm so poor...

I just realized I can't afford my credit card bill with only $340 :'( probably $950 =0 I will have to tap into my secret stash that I was hoping not to have to use...

Posted

Apartment expenses + mortgage 700e (895$)
Student loan 100e (130$)
food 300e (385$)
cat food and other cat stuff 100e (130$)
Union costs 25e (30$)
Internet 20e (25$)
Cellphone internet and calls 20e (25$)
Saving 150e (190$)

DVD's/music and other stuff 100-250e (130-320$)

Total monthly ~1600e (2045$)  Apart from the savings, whatever i earn, i spend. So the end sum varies a bit.

Posted

My apartment rent is sky high because I live in a pretty high-demand area of town :(Rent: $2200Food: $200-250Pet supplies: $50Dance classes: $150-200Household items (hygiene, cleaning supplies, etc.): $100 or soShopping (clothes, technology, anything fun I want to buy): $100Utilities: $100 for Internet and electricity (water/heat included in rent)Savings: $500

Posted

^ What do you do for a living to command a salary to even afford that rent? o_O

Posted

blnyc said: ^ What do you do for a living to command a salary to even afford that rent? o_O

Posted

tuition, books, parking pass, school supplies add up to 1000 a month or a bit more if u average year round and save up that way like i do.gas 250food 300 - 500hulu 8misc spending 100
in the end it is about 2 grand a month spending.
i don't know how u guys spend like less than 100 dollars on food for a month, 10 dollars a day is already 300 dollars.  like, u gotta not go out to eat.. ever.. lol me and my friends realize food is a big cost, unless u go to mc donalds everyday 1 dollar for lunch 2 dollars for dinner full 1400 ish calories enough to survive easy lol. and even that would add up to 90 dollars a month... i mean instant noodle these days is more expensive than that!

Posted

Wow, I don't even have that much money to spend o.o
I moved back in with family just a while ago so I'm saving a lot in terms of rent but not making much means I'm not saving much.

I probably spend at least $100 on food (which I'm trying to stop because it's on crap fast food that makes me feel just as crappy after I'm done eating it yet still I keep picking it up -___-;), $30 on gas, $10 on parking, $200 on other things. I'm trying to spend even less than that though. I have big plans for my future - I need to start saving every penny ;)

Unless of course, I could win lottery :P

Posted

rent: $1250utilities/cable: ~$100credit card (food, gas, insurance, activities, etc.): ~$1000
I've actually kept my credit card spending to under $1000 the past few months which is quite impressive considering I averaged ~$1500/month last year. 

Posted

hmmm per month mine is about -
Rent: $890+another $130 council taxUtilities: $75Food: $500 (I almost never go out to eat except the odd meetup)Internet+phone+mobile: $55, didn't buy a TV so no cable or any other costs associated with thatTravel: $65 for bus, I decided against getting a car, so no initial outlay, fuel, insurance or maintenance costs
Since i'm still paying off a holiday, credit card is $800 until i pay it off, which should be in another 2 months or so
I almost never use my credit card for everyday purchases, that way I'm almost never in debt. I only use it on holidays and I make sure I clear it before going so the expenses on holiday can then be spread out for later, despite the interest payments.
After all that I manage to squirrel away between $500 and a $1k a month to a high interest account that I hold in another country :P

Posted

Food: $100~$250Phone bill: $278Internet: $43Gas: $12~$15Electricity: $33Pet food: $15Gas for car: $90
Spending only about $700/month - maybe a little less, maybe a little more. I'm glad I don't have to worry about loans or credit card bills! And I would be spending a lot more per month if my mom isn't paying for her and my car insurance (roughly $2,300/year) and house bill (roughly $1,200/month). Yay for moms (sometimes)!

Posted

Rent + Utilities (electricity, internet): ~$800Food: $200-$300 (but my bf pays for me most of the time when we eat out ><)Phone: $30 (only pay for data)Going out: ~$100-$200
Not too bad. No transportation expenses since my grad school pays for bus pass, and when I graduate in Dec., I live close to my jobs, so I'll just be walking/riding a bike. Unfortunately, my student loans will be like $500 a month once they start, ugh.

Posted

And I thought mine was bad:

Food: $150-200
Going Out: $200-300
Gas: $200
Car Payment: $400
Car Insurance: $133
Motorcycle Insurance: $40
Cell Phone: $90
Netflix: $8
Student Loan: $150

Posted

i live with my parents but i help pay for some rent. they cook for me. food expenses are only when i go out with friends and bf. 
rent : 500food: 200 phone: 80shopping: 200
total: 980?
hey that's not half bad..haha

Posted

Mortgage: 833
Dad's Car: 462
School Loans: 300
Cable/Phone/Internet: 190 (grr...)
Util: 100-140 depending
Water: 12-15 depending
Cell: 90 (Woohoo for company discounts)
Food: 300-400 (I cook a lot and take my lunch everyday)
Gas (car): 30 x 3
Misc spending (clothes, shoes, paying credit cards): 100-400 depending

Using the bad month numbers it can be about 2900 a month. I probably average about 2500 in bills/spending. I only use my CC to buy clothes and I'm pretty strict about paying it off as soon as possible and not buying more until it's cleared even with my high credit limit on that card, I see my parents credit debt issues and I will never get there! I use it when I want something now but need to see how the bills are going for the month (sometimes that cable bill gets higher, stupid AT&T). I rarely have to dip into my savings, usually only to give to my parents to help with their bills.

Posted

my breakdown would be 
1) Food - $320

2) Weekend going out - $100
3) Phone - $197 (i pay for the family plan)
4) Internet - $40
5) Electricity - n/a
6) Car insurance - $191 (i pay for 2 cars)
7) Gas - $140
8) Car $200
9) Misc bills $100
total: $1288

Posted

I'm a college student and I pay for these things myself with scholarships and paychecks:
Rent - $700 (after splitting w/ apartment-mates)
Gas electricity - $20 (after splitting w/ apartment-mates)
Internet - $10 (after splitting w/ apartment-mates)
Food - $500 (groceries and eating out)
Shopping - $50 (varies..)
Misc - $100
Total - $1380

Wow..I never realized how much I spend =/.