Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Naturally wavy/curly hair

41 posts in this topic

Posted

Asians with naturally wavy/curly hair. :D
Hey! I just wanna see how many asians out there have naturally wavy.curly hair like I do. I'm vietnamese/chinese. All of my family members have shiny, pin straight hair. No waves, dents or frizz. It's like the "perfect asian hair", I guess, lols.

Well, I don't. I have wavy/curly hair. When I was younger, my hair was straight, but poofy. And as I aged, it started waving up and then it got frizzy and curly. The weird thing is, my hair underneath (in the back) is like straight, while the rest is wavy/curly. Weird, right?

My background story:

When I was in elementary school, I hated my hair so much. And there were some selected people who looved pointing out that my hair wasn't straight. They would make fun of me and try grabbing my hair, and laughing. It made me so self-conscious. I would cry when I got home and ask myself what was wrong with me. I hated myself. 

Hair dressers hated my hair because it was thick, poofy and hard to straighten/cut. My haircuts never looked good. Srsly.

When I got to the ninth grade, I discovered flat irons. I would flat iron my hair everyday for four years. This fried my hair and made it very damaged. 

After I graduated highschool, I learned to cut my own hair. A year after, I learned how to deal with my hair in more healthy ways, by giving it deep treatments and protein treatments and wearing it natural thanks to another site.  I still flat iron my hair, but not as much as I did in the ninth grade.

Anyways, that's my hair story. Here's some pictures of my hair:

http://i24.photobuck.../RL/ghd184j.jpg

http://i24.photobuck...araT/RL/abd.jpg

http://i24.photobuck...aT/RL/hair2.jpg

http://i24.photobuck...aT/RL/hair1.jpg

Also, I straighten my bangs because they're so short, haha.

I'm sure I'm not the only one out there with non-straight hair! Please, don't make me feel like an idiot, aha. <3

Posted

oh wow my hair is the same exact thing except it's not as curly. When i was a kid i, also had very frizzy, thick hair so I would always tie it up in a pony tail. After tying it for several years(from 1st to 10th grade), i let it down and now it's wavy. I also hate my hair but i can't do anything about it.

I feel rly similar to you because everytime i go to the hair salon, they would always tell me how thick my hair was. And they would straighten it but after a day, it would revert back to the thick, poofy hair it was when I didn't get it cut.

I always hated my hair but now im learning to embrace it by buying better shampoos and deep conditioners and now it's not as frizzy as before :)

i think you should stop straightening your hair or it'll become mroe coarse. it looks fine the way it is ^_^

Posted

I think your hair looks great! the waves are all nice ~

I used to want wavy hair ... but then I realized my face is really round, so wavy hair would make my face look rounder

my cousin has naturally ridiculously curly hair though

but she straightens (chemically) it, and the roots every few months so i can't really show you how she looks with curly hair hahahah

here's a picture of her when she was younger though ~

cats-1.jpg

I also tried looking for a friend who has wavy hair, but it seems hers started straightening itself out as we grew up (it's not straight enough to have been chemically done, but it's not as wavy as when we were in middle school either) sooooo ~

Posted

Lol I have wavy/curly hair. o.o out used to be straight like any other Asian, then bam puberty! It started in the front and it's going towards the back. Some sections of my hair is still fairly straight (in the back). It varies from wavy/curly to straight to even coil type (though this one is a rare case).

My hair is thick and it's dark brown/brown (my hair has a subtle ombre effect from dark brown to brown due to sun damage). I don't know if I'm mixed (adopted :P) but I'm at least Chinese.

Posted

Your curls/waves are so pretty girl!

I'm jealous. I'm Asian and I have wavy hair BUT it comes with major frizz. Seriously, I'm even embarrassed to post a pic because it looks ridiculous after shower.

My hair looks naturally coarse and damaged =/

Posted

I have naturally wavy hair, too!  I straighten it though, haha.  I'm pretty sure I got it from my mom.  My hair is also pretty thick compared to average Asian hair, but I actually don't mind having thick hair because it adds a lot of volume which I like.  I guess having wavy hair does have its advantages.  My old hairdresser once said that my hair was nice because I would never have to get a perm. :P

By the way, your hair is pretty! :)  If I had your hair I wouldn't even touch it.  My waves tend to be bigger and don't look as good.

Posted

Girl don't even get me started! Your hair looks beautiful and not poofy and frizzy and gross like you make it sound. My hair waves in such an incomplete way and it looks like afro city. It seriously begins to DREADlock itself after half a day and it takes forever to make it not a dread lock anymore. You could have worse.

Posted

my hair is naturally wavy! it used to be fine and straight, but that all changed after puberty.. now its coarse, dry, thick and wavy. blehh i used to hate it and i would flat iron my hair everyday, but now im starting to embrace it haha. i hate how frizzy it gets though :(

Posted

YOUR HAIR IS SO BEAUTIFUL NOW!

what deep treatments and protein treatments did you use?!

my hair is wavy/curly but it comes with SOOO much frizz... yours is like, perfect waves with no frizz.

please tell us your secrets.

Posted

@DeadSmile~ My hair was in a ponytail from middle school to my senior year of highschool (even after it was straightened because it was so thick). :c

I even pull it back in a ponytail right after my shower. 

And yeah, when I go to salons, the ladies would be like, "oh my god, your hair is so thick and poofy. Hey you, look at this girl's hair!" ><;

Lols. I straighten my hair so it wouldn't become as coarse. D: Because after it's straighten, it's sooo soft. <3 But yeah, I should cut back. D:

@nobody knows~ Thank you! Hah, I have a very round face, and when my hair is straighten, my face looks almost slimmer. c:

Awh, I only knew one asian girl with naturally wavy/curly hair at my school, but she came to class one day with chemically straightened hair and had her hair straightened ever since. :c

I've thought about getting a japanese straightening treatment, but it's so darn expensive. XD

Your cousin's curly hair looks nice! When I was her age, or around that, my hair was straight, but coarse and very very poofy. It's hard to describe. 

@monkeyinabarrel~ Mixed or not, your hair sounds very pretty. <3 I wouldn't mind if my hair was a little more curly...well, at least the back of my hair, haha.

I plan on dying my hair to get a lighter brown since my face so so pale. D: 

@heartdrops~ Thank you!

Do you use any products for your hair? In the pictures I posted, I have product in my hair. Without product, my hair, especially the back, is so frizzy. D:

@Celestra~ Yeah, my hair is super thick too! XD The good thing about the thickness is that we won't get bald when we are older. XDD And my hairdressers told me the same thing. I would never have to get a perm because I already have wavy/curly hair.

And thank you!

@hellokatie1618~ Well, it was really poofy and frizzy when I was younger and I would brush it out everyday making it more poofy. Now, I used mousse and leave-ins to try to defrizz and de-poof. Haha.

Do you have a hair routine?

My hair used to be "dreadlocked" too because I would twist it in a bun and it's separate into three large locks and tangle up. (But that was before I learned how to do my hair.) :)

@zonkey~ It's always puberty. D: -strangles puberty- XD

What do you use in your hair to style it?

Posted

omg meee toooooo

My hair was totally Asian-straight when I was a kid. Really thick, but it was okay because it was straight. However, I refused to brush it, so when I was 7 my mom cut it really short (earlobe length) and when it grew back it was wavy/frizzy/poofy D:

I got it straightened (Japanese ionic perm) in middle school, and then once again in high school, but basically I was constantly struggling to keep the regrowth straight. (Also, they don't tell you that since curly hair needs more oil than straight hair, your scalp is used to producing more oil, so once your hair is straightened you'll need to wash it more often. I literally had to wash my hair twice a day for the first two months, before I got some natural-texture regrowth.) Then towards the end of high school I gave up and chopped most of it off. First two years of college I was still trying to straighten it, but I go to school in a REALLY hot, humid city and it was awful :(

Then I layered it aggressively and found out that, given a chance, my hair curls pretty nicely. One of my friends (also Taiwanese) asked me where I got it permed haha...her hair is naturally straight and she wanted to perm it to look like mine.

Unfortunately I kinda fried my hair by dying it too many times so I had to cut it shorter, and now it's all poofy again because there's not enough length for nice curls. Oh well.

Posted

YOUR HAIR IS SO BEAUTIFUL NOW!

what deep treatments and protein treatments did you use?!

my hair is wavy/curly but it comes with SOOO much frizz... yours is like, perfect waves with no frizz.

please tell us your secrets.

Thank you! <3

For protein treatments, I use virgin coconut oil. I section off my hair, and then rub some coconut oil into my hair (not my scalp) and cover my head with a plastic bag and then cover with a towel to keep some heat in. I leave it in for about 45 mins. Sometimes I would blowdry my hair on medium heat for the last 5 mins to make sure the coconut molecules penetrate my hair shaft. And then I shampoo making sure I put it on my scalp and rinse with warm water.

For deep treatments, I buy a moisture hair mask from walmart and leave it in for 30 mins-1hr under a plastic cap and rinse off with cool water. When I am feeling creative, I would just mix a whole bunch of conditioners and put in in my hair (avoiding my scalp). Or you can try to make your own in your kitchen. There's tons of recipes on youtube. MAKE SURE IT'S THE ONE FOR MOISTURE. NOT PROTEIN.

I do this once a week. When you do a protein treatment, you must do a deep treatment after, because the protein treatment will make your hair feel hard, so it needs moisture. :P

omg meee toooooo

My hair was totally Asian-straight when .......... so I had to cut it shorter, and now it's all poofy again because there's not enough length for nice curls. Oh well.

Wow, your hair is super nice! I always wanted hair that starts waving/curling around earlobe length. But mines starts like two or three inches above that, ha. XD

How long is your hair now?

Posted

Your hair's so pretty and nice. My natural hair is frizzy and curly but not as messy curls. I hate the look of them. I wish I had pin straight Asian hair or yours =\

Posted

I remember going to a salon i always go to one day, and for some reason i guess they were really busy that day?

They switched people because the one i originally asked for was busy with someone.

There's only one asian woman who worked there, and i suppose she or the other hair dressers thought it would be perfect for the asian hair dresser to cut the asian girl's hair.

Well, i was sitting in the chair after getting the wash and when she arrives she exclaims "oh! your hair is wavy!"

And I thought crap... she doesn't know what to do with my hair!. It came out ok. i just wanted a trim really.

At least we don't have to worry about our curls falling apart? not that i even both curling my hair XD

Posted

Wow, your hair is super nice! I always wanted hair that starts waving/curling around earlobe length. But mines starts like two or three inches above that, ha. XD

How long is your hair now?

My hair is about shoulder-length now. I usually tie it up because it has a tendency to want to be triangular haha...I think when it's longer, the weight tames it a little. If I do absolutely *nothing* to it while it's wet (besides finger-comb through it), it's wavy all over, but usually (when it's longer) I use a wide-tooth comb when it's wet and then twist the ends so they stay in nice loose curls instead of waving/curling everywhere randomly. I can also blow-dry it to be decently straight, which I couldn't do when it was long...ehh compromises.

Posted

Omigosh, my hair is the same way. I'm also Vietnamese with some Chinese and my hair is really frizzy and curly. I love my curls but not so much the frizz, so I've been getting Japanese hair straightening for about two years cause I was really tired of straightening my hair every day with my Chi and damaging it and I'm so happy. I can wash my hair and just go now, instead of worrying about frizz.

Posted

my hair underneath (in the back) is like straight, while the rest is wavy/curly. Weird, right?

WOAHHHH SAME HERE! I have naturally wavy hair :P

I hate it.. because it frizzes SO EASILY but I really do love my waves buahhaha

Posted

Your hair looks like my hair when I curl it with a curling iron. I want to curl it everyday but I know it'll damage my hair. To me, you're lucky you have such beautiful waves that are natural!! 

Posted

you have really pretty curls! my hair is similar but the curls aren't as defined. they also start below my ears. so my crown is pretty straight then its like beachy waves. except the very under layers which are straight like your's.

i had straight asian hair up until i started hs (15). it wouldnt even hold a curl. it was thick and healthy. but when i was 15, it started to get wavy. but the awkward kind.. not really straight or curly, so i flat ironed/curled my hair for 3 years until it became really damaged. i started to limit the use of heat on my hair. plus my hair started to get curlier and harder to straighten which made me too lazy to reach for the iron anyway lol i can't remember the last time i wore my hair straight. for special occasions i use a curling iron to define my curls. i just wished my hair wasn't so frizzy.

Posted

I thought you looked familiar when I first saw your pictures and it seems I've seen you on another site.

Your hair looks lovely! I find that when you have straight hair it can look quite flat especially is you have thin hair.

My hair isn't pin straight but it's not curly like yours either, it sort of has a kink in it.