Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Testicles Of Yogurt-Eating Mice Shown Bigger, And Researchers Credit Probiotics

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Source: http://www.huffingto...26pLid%3D158620

Last sum­mer a team of researchers from the Massa­chusetts Institute of Technology set out to better understand the effects of yogurt on 

obesity. They were following up on the results of a long-term study from the Harvard School of Public Health that had suggested yogurt, more than any other food, helped to prevent age-related weight gain. The M.I.T. team, led by cancer biologist Susan Erdman and evolutionary geneticist Eric Alm, wanted to replicate the work in mice. The researchers took a group of 40 males and 40 females and either fed the animals a high-fat, low-fiber, low-nutrient diet meant to mimic junk food or fed them standard mouse meals. They then supple­mented half of each diet group with vanilla-flavored yogurt.

Their goal was to understand how a probiotic diet affects rates of obesity and its related compli­ca­tions, including cancer. But “the most entertaining aspects of all this were things we didn’t anticipate,” Erdman says.

First, the scientists noticed that the yogurt-eating mice were incredibly shiny. Using both traditional histology techniques and cosmetic rating scales, the researchers showed that these animals had 10 times the active follicle density of other mice, resulting in luxuriantly silky fur.

Then the researchers spotted some­thing particular about the males: they projected their testes outward, which endowed them with a certain “mouse swagger,” Erdman says. On measuring the males, they found that the testicles of the yogurt consumers were about 5 percent heavier than those of mice fed typical diets alone and around 15 percent heavier than those of junk-eating males.

More important, that masculinity pays off. In mating experiments, yogurt-eating males inseminated their partners faster and produced more offspring than control mice. Conversely, females that ate the yogurt diets gave birth to larger litters and weaned those pups with greater success. Reflecting on their unpublished results, Erdman and Alm think that the probiotic microbes in the yogurt help to make the animals leaner and healthier, which indirectly improves sexual machismo.

The findings could have implications for human fertility. In ongoing work, a team led by Harvard nutritional epidemiologist Jorge Chavarro has looked at the association between yogurt intake and semen quality in men. “So far our preliminary findings are consistent with what they see in the mice,” Chavarro says.

Posted

Wow. 

Time to feed my bf yogurt

Posted

I guess instead of cheese and mouse traps, I'll resort to placing little yogurt sample cups around the house instead.

I think in time, it'll get to the point that these little critter's balls will get so big that they won't be able to fit through their mouse holes anymore.  Then I can just grab them by their tails as they're trying to squeeze through and dispose of them more humanely.

Posted

Very nice observation.

Now I understand why I....

Posted

Damn

eat more yogurt = swag +++

Posted

Well, that could possible explain the size of my testicles but what about my shaft?

Posted

Lol.  Mouse swagger?

Posted

I guess instead of cheese and mouse traps, I'll resort to placing little yogurt sample cups around the house instead.

I think in time, it'll get to the point that these little critter's balls will get so big that they won't be able to fit through their mouse holes anymore.  Then I can just grab them by their tails as they're trying to squeeze through and dispose of them more humanely.

That or they will multiple even faster in your house.

Posted

LOL, that's true too.

But who cares?

Haha, I guess I wasn't exactly forthcoming:  this isn't my house.

Posted

need to stock up on yogurt asap

Posted

Get mouse traps that keep the caught mice alive; then you have free "live food" for your reptiles (for those who own any)

Posted

Well, good thing it was yogurt and not something else like black licorice.

Posted

Time to buy some Activia!

I actually like the vanilla ones, and I used to eat them a lot before.. but I was kind of embarrassed about it since it's for women (and men too) to "slim down".

But now after reading this article.. if people criticize me about it, I'll just be like "MY BALLS ARE BIGGER THAN YOURS, SON."

....wait... am I allowed to say balls on soompi o_o