Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

SM Entertainment or NFL Career?

26 posts in this topic

Posted

I need help to decide what I want pursue?
* first want to start off by saying that this is very lengthy cause i explain a lot of myself, sorry! but if you can, please respond! sweatingbullets.gif

Hey, I'm a 14 year old (freshman) in High School currently. And I was wondering if I should pursue a career with Sm Entertainment or NFL?

About SM: I am Korean, very good looking (people say so, not trying to be rude), around 5 foot 10, very fit and muscular. And I have medium talent in rapping and singing. And I'm going to try out for SM Global (live in USA) next time they have an audition.But, I was wondering: Are the rumors of SM really true? How bad are there slave contracts because they've been sued and have lawsuits against them like SNSD, JYJ, Super Junior, etc for their terribly unfair contracts? And SM is really 80% looks 20% talent? 

Football: I have a lot of talent playing Cornerback and Safety and I am on the HS Varsity team. But, my mom does not want me to play because she is scared I'll get injured and she wants swimming (i swim VERY competitivley, but I dont like it) to be my main priority. As a result, I miss many football meetings and practices because my mom makes me go to swim practice. But, I know that I can perform really well at a high level, if i actually go to football practice/meetings. And on weekends, I always play hard competition "pickup" football games, and I am usually the best player there. But, yet again, Im not sure if I should quit football and just focus on swimming and maybe SM? (I know my mom will never let me focus on football only b/c I swam for around 8 years already)

But, its a risk if I quit football, because what if I dont make SM or any other Korean Entertainment business? The only thing I would have left is waiting another year for try outs and swim. All in all, please help me as I'm really worried about what I should do w/ my future. 

Should I go for SM Entertainement/JYP etc (I am very good looking, medium talent, fit, personality) even though there slave contracts are supposedly true but risk failing the audition and having to wait another year? And I think SM is the only choice cause of my talent level is not as good as it should be for YG or JYP, etc Loen)

Or, continue to try and get far with Football? (very talented (not being cocky)) But remember, my mom doesn't let me focus on football only b/c I swam for so long and Im on a swim team. But, I'm pretty sure football is one of the hardest sports to be pro at in the US. (and i have a disadvatage since I'm Asian, don't say race doesn't matter, but you know it does. like jeremy lin story as an example) :(

*btw, I really do not want to take swimming far, because I have no passion for it, but my mom makes me do it.

PLEASE HELP ME!  :) i really need some advice

Thanks!

Posted

whats your 40 time and whats your level of competition?

Posted

Can you sing, dance or act? Do you play any instruments? because being in the entertainment industry is not all about looks

Posted

You're only 14. Why are you considering your future so seriously? Just enjoy being worry-free while you can and focus on doing well in academics. You're obviously too naive to understand that pursuing a career is much more complicated than simply choosing something awesome and flashy and assuming you'll have a good shot at attaining a career in it. You keep saying you're talented, you're talented. Here's a reality check for you--you're 14; you literally were a pre-pubescent child just a couple of years ago. You can't just determine by yourself that you are talented. You haven't even fully developed yet! Being considered a good player on your school team means diddily in the big leagues and there is no such thing as having "medium talent." You're either talented, or you're not. Again--you're 14. In a few years, you'll get over yourself and have more realistic aspirations. Don't be so enamored by fame.

-A Bitter Person

Lol but seriously, though, if in the future you still have a "passion" for these things, then do as you wish and pursue a career in them. I really doubt it would be useful to you to have us give you career advice at this point of your life, though. Here's some final advice that you should note for future reference, though: have a practical back-up career plan. I'm majoring in French which is almost as ridiculous as you wanting to be a popstar or an NFL player, but my first backup is accounting which, at the moment, I am actively pursuing as well.

Posted

whats your 40 time and whats your level of competition?

I currently run a 4.9 for my 40 yd dash. And I'm a Freshman starting on Varsity , so I guess that is good competition

Can you sing, dance or act? Do you play any instruments? because being in the entertainment industry is not all about looks

Yes, I can rap and sing pretty well. And I play violin, but I dont think that would help a lot..

Posted

I currently run a 4.9 for my 40 yd dash. And I'm a Freshman starting on Varsity , so I guess that is good competition

let me try this again... what classification does your school play in? does your school or schools in your league send a lot of players to D1 schools?

Posted

Contrary to popular belief, SM Entertainment is looking more for well rounded people now not just looks (look at their recent debuts). Also, let's say even if you manage to get into SM you wont be guaranteed a debut. ie. Han Kyu Wan (talented and good looking guy) trained for a really really long time and supposedly was going to be in EXO, but ended up doing his military service/leaving SM. I don't want to be a downer, but if you're even asking these questions about rumored slave contracts, etc. in the first place I think this option is not for you. These kids willingly give up their childhoods to pursue their dreams... are you passionate enough about music to do that? That being said, out of the two options I think NFL would be better but I think it's best if you have a back up plan too.

Posted

Stay in school.

Like what the poster above me said, are you willing to give up your life and freedom to become a Kpop Idol? You're only 14, you've got your whole life ahead of you and I bet you're in the early stages of puberty (If not, I apologize). Getting an education is the one thing that can benefit you in the long run. While at school you can always pursue your football dream by continuing playing for your school, joining a club, and then playing collegiate level football. To me, becoming a kpop idol is great an all, but in the long run, what are you gonna get out of? Pay isn't that good, you hardly get any free time to yourself, no privacy, and you have no idea if/when you're going to debut. Definitely making a list of pros and cons of each option is something you need to do.

But seriously...you're 14...enjoy your youth...

Posted

let me try this again... what classification does your school play in? does your school or schools in your league send a lot of players to D1 schools?

I'm not sure about the div. we are in, but we have many players who get D1 scholarships and to the NFL from my school. The Class of 2013 has a QB/LB going to West Virginia. Our safety to Temple. RB to Temple. And I believe our DE/LB to Rutgers (im not sure about this one) 

Posted

confidence is good, especially at CB, but you have to be realistic too. if you haven't had contact with college coaches yet, then you're not as good as you think you are. most kids who started as a freshman at a halfway decent program will have received letters or invites to camps. but recruiting doesn't really get serious until your junior season, so just keep on working hard in the weight room and in the classroom (unless you want to go to some crap school like WVU). 7v7 events are really good for DBs too.

also, talk to your coaches and teammates who were recruited. it's a long and hard journey to the NFL, very few make it. be ready to sacrifice a lot if that's what you want to pursue.

Posted

Im in the same position! Im 15 and i've done sports + clubs in middle school but 9th grade i focused more on grades and missed alot of social things! This year try to do clubs + sports and try to join in on the fun!

handyman tampa fl

Posted

why don't you do both. for instance. go to your football thing regularly.. while after you're done (which is afternoon) in the evening you can do your little sm thing (practice)

Posted

It seems as though you're just in it for the fame.

Posted

do what you most want to do. weigh in the options.

look into the future, what do you see yourself doing? what do you like doing? what do you want to do?

i was your age too when i started thinking on what i should REALLY do, deciding my future.

like you, i considered the entertainment industry, i auditioned for JYP, YG, and SM -i'm not THAT good looking, singing ability is not superb but i can hit pretty high notes at ease, can act well, but can't dance really well. like you, as well, i considered athletics as i swim and do martial arts, but that wasn't my top priority.

i thought about it . . . for quite a long while. and in the end, i chose to pursue a degree in BS ChE. you can say that i'm pretty good in academics and all that. being in the entertainment industry's going to be REALLY tough. it's going to be practice 24/7 - and i've had experience with that as i was once part of a musical.

so yeah, do what you think will make you happy. whatever you path you take, think it through. give it you 100% best. you may make mistakes at some point, but regret nothing and continue to fight on. hakuna matata.

Posted

seems like both difficult paths where you're not passionate enough to pursue any if you're questioning yourself so much. I suggest just stick to football and perhaps just check out the global audition and see how that goes. I know of many sm trainees personally that never made it to debuting so it's a hard path that most likely won't reach its goal.

I had dreams when I was young and they all came crashing down when reality hit. Maybe you should even pick a third path on the academics side as a safety precaution. Just sayin'

Posted

I'm 17.. graduating next year and I have NO idea what I'm going to do with my life.

I wanted to be a lawyer, to forensic scientist, interior designer, public relations manager, politician?! etc.. but I still don't know lol.

I also applied to IB, got accepted into IB.. now I need to make some life decisions, and I'm surprised you're already deciding what you want to do. 

However, have you considered SM Entertainment not accepting you? 

Then what would be your back up plan? Go to another company? What if none of them take you?

I think at the age of 14, it's hard to determine what you want to be..

My brother is turning 15 soon, and he keeps telling me he wants to be this and that.

With the NFL thing, NFL players .. man they might not even last up to when they're 40+ years old.

Their physical capacity of being injured and such is way too high.

You still have 4 more years down the road, why not try new things? You might figure what you want to be!

Posted

Im in the same position! Im 15 and i've done sports + clubs in middle school but 9th grade i focused more on grades and missed alot of social things! This year try to do clubs + sports and try to join in on the fun!

handyman tampa fl

Why did you quote my post?

http://www.soompi.com/forums/topic/372486-not-sure-what-you-wanna-dobecome/

Posted

Having high dreams is a great in life, and although I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing your future goals, I think you need to approach this with a more realistic look. The NFL takes less than 1% of all Football players, and I'm sure that the statistics for SM Entertainment is the same. The question I pose for you, and I might get a lot of hate is, are you really that sure that you'll even be able to get a contract in either organization, are you sure you are the top of that 1%? What I'm getting at is aim high, but don't put all your eggs in one basket. I know its a depressing way to look at life, but its a realistic way. Maybe once you get the actual, real possibility to choose between these two, NFL or SM Entertainment (ie. actually get offers), than we can revisit the question, but right now, this post seems like a way to stroke your ego since either one isn't realistic at this point in your life. Hopefully you understand what I'm saying, and don't take it as an insult.

Posted

Go try to audition for SM or any other company. But leave in mind that there is a chance that you will not get in.

NFL...have you gotten scouted or whatever? Because..

Both are very big dreams, but both are not stable career, but it's definitely worth the try. I think you should audition for SM and then continue your practice with football/swim. Also remember to keep your grades up...you'll never know what will happen in the future.

Posted

Won't hurt to try, but practice performing in front of audiences, for school rallies and such first and then instead of just auditioning for sm and jyp, try to expand to other companies too, even if there is the big 3 in korea.

As for the NFL, work hard in practice and look into certain universities like cal, ucla, usc, and many others who has football up their sleeves.

Remember, to keep up grades too, become a scholar athlete.

Good luck to you kid!