Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Foundation for oily, acne skin

20 posts in this topic

Posted

I have some acne, red and not much. My skin is oily and I have a few acne scars as well. I'm trying to find a good foundation that would cover all these blemishes. Anyone know of any good foundation that would prevent breakouts? And should I use liquid or power foundation? I'm a total newb with make-up. 

P.S. I saw the recommendation thread but it hasn't been updated since the 30th of April so I thought of starting a new thread. 

Posted

If you break out easily or your skin is acne prone and/or sensitive, I recommend to stay away from foundations with a strong fragrance to it, as the chances are you will be likely to break out even more.

A foundation is really someone's preference, just like skincare, it will work differently for every person. Just because it works for someone doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you. So just keep that in mind.

Also it depends on what 'finish' you want in your foundation, most oily skin people I know tend to lean towards more of the 'matte' finishes in foundations, but for myself with oily skin as well, I like to have more of a satin or dewy finish though I have oil problems as well, but I find it to look more natural than as with a matte foundation. But everyone is different.

For 'Matte' Finishes I recommend:

-Clinique Anti-Blemish Solutions Foundation

-Revlon Colorstay Foundation for combination/oily skin

-Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation

-No7 Intelligent Balance Mousse Foundation

For 'Dewy' Finishes I recommend:

-Revlon Photoready Foundation

-L'oreal True Match Foundation

-Clinique Even Better Foundation

-Dior Diorskin Nude Foundation

-Laura Mercier Mineral Powder Foundation

The above are all medium-full coverage foundations which I find does not break out my skin. On another note, from my own experience, I would stay away from Maybelline foundations, because they tend to not work well for oily skin types.

I prefer Liquid foundations, and I find that it tends to work for all skin types, dry/normal/oily, but if you have extremely oily skin I will probably look more into mousse foundations, as for me mousse foundations tend to last longer on my skin without me having to touch up my make-up as to suppose me wearing liquid. I also recommend mineral powder foundations because they tend to be better for your skin and has less chemicals and they don't clog up your pores either.

Stay away from cream foundations, because they are usually targeted for drier skin types but I have tried this one foundations before, which I can not remember the exact name but it was from bobbi brown and it came in a compact and it was a cream foundation and that worked well for my oily skin type, talking of which if I remember correctly the coverage on that was around medium-full and was in between a matte-satin finish.

There are also other products you can try instead of foundation, something lighter or probably better for your skin like tinted moisturisers are much lighter in coverage but you can get some with a better coverage like the laura mercier range has better coverage than other tinted moisturisers, or BB creams which most ASIAN branded ones have skincare properties to them which will help to heal your blemishes. The only con with BB Creams and Tinted moisturisers are the lack of colour range.

If you want to, you can gravitate to a lighter coverage foundation/moisturiser/BB cream and then apply concealer to your problem areas. By doing this I find it looks more natural and less 'cakey' in which sometimes you can get on days when you use a full coverage foundation and your skin feels grubby and dehydrated, it's not the best look in the world. And since your acne/acne scars aren't that bad then I suppose you don't have acne all over your face so you can focus on the area's where you do have breakouts or scarring as to suppose to cover your whole face with foundation when you don't need it. Just make sure the concealer you use matches with your foundation shade or your skin tone.

Honestly though, if your looking to prevent breakouts your best bet will be to invest in a good skincare regime that works well with your skin type & make sure to remove all your make-up at the end of the day or you will clog up your pores with the foundation and cause future break-outs.

Good luck ^^

Posted

The people working at Sephora always tell me to get the Make Up Forever HD Foundation for oily skin. 

Posted

I have oily skin as well but I find that any foundation will give me shine after 3-4 hours. The best thing you can do is find a mattifying primer and put it under your foundation or in my case I'm using BB cream, use a good loose powder on top to set the foundation (im using Laura Mercier) and blotting sheets after 5 hours. Good luck :)

Posted

I have super oily skin and I used to use Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation but that broke me out like crazy, I think it was too thick. It also made my face look orange towards the middle of the day eek!

Now I use Hanskin control bb cream, it's the only thing that works for me. It doesn't clog my pores like foundation so I don't break out,and it has good oil control. It evens out my skin tone, and my face stays my normal color all day and doesn't turn orange-ish like foundation does.

Posted

^ same happened to me when I tried Estee Lauder's double wear, I have serious scars left from that.

My skin is very oily and very acne prone.

I've used Make Up For Ever's duo mat (powder), and mat velvet+ (liquid) works really well for coverage and staying power.

I've just switched to Tarte's Amazonian Clay 12hour full coverage foundation, and I'm loving that as well.

On the cheaper side, I found Maybelline's Fit Me foundations are really nice for coverage, and I didn't break out from that.

Definitely recommend you go to a sephora and ask for samples to try first. Plus their return policy is very generous!

Posted

Try MUFE Mat Velvet+, expensive, but works like a dream for oily skin. I've had oily skin all of my life and acne prone skin for the majority of my life, my skin is also sensitive too, so I know how to work with it. Mac studio fix powder foundations work well because once they mix with the oils of your skin, it looks semi-matte throughout the day and not fake. MY dad out of all people always compliments me on that foundation. Also, they have a gel formulation that stays incredibly matte on my face, and that is the MAC studio sculpt foundation. MAC has a bad rap for breaking people out, but that's do to a lot of factors, such as how clean your skin actually is, after you take off your makeup, hormones, etc. I have a clarisonic and no foundation ever breaks me out. Make sure you check out allergies to certain ingredients too. I mean Lancome Teint miracle breaks me out, etc. everyone's different. I know how difficult it is to work with oily skin. But I really reccomend powders though, because when they mix with your oils, if just looks like skin. Other powers I reccomend are from Lancome, Chanel, shiseido or dior.

Posted

I've heard that the Hourglass Immaculate Foundation is great for oily acne prone skin. The only BIG downside is the price.

Posted

I have darker skin so my blemishes show up easily. So I've experimented with a few foundations and my 2 favorites are the liquid and pressed power Make Up Forever HD formula. Since switching I haven't had a break out in a long time, also my face stays matte for up to 6 hrs. After that I just sweep a little dusting of powder on my face and I'm ready to go again. Recently I've also started using the liquid Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow from Benefit. It's oil free and lightweight. I use it when I just want light coverage ^_^ .

Posted

I've heard that the Hourglass Immaculate Foundation is great for oily acne prone skin. The only BIG downside is the price.

My mother has extremely oily skin, and she uses that stuff. It works like a dream.

It's pricey, but one bottle lasts her a longggggggggggg time, even with daily application.

Posted

I have to second the recommendations for Make Up Forever's Mat Velvet+. My skin is very oily as well and on top of that I used to have mountains of acne. I used Mat Velvet+ for a long time after my acne cleared up and the only time I ever got pimples after that was when my period rolled around. The coverage was really good as I didn't have to use any concealer to cover up scars and it kept my oily face under control as well. My face still got oily but by the end of the day it just looked more like a dewy sheen rather than a shiny bowling ball.

Posted

A really amazing trick that Im using for the moment for oily skin is to use Phillips Milk of Magnesia as primer underneath one of the foundations that the girls above recommended. It cuts the oil on your face by like 85%. Im wearing it right now and so far NO OIL! :D Try it out!

Posted

I've heard of that before!!!^^

Posted

I work for EL. The EL DW is definitely quite thick compared to some foundations - try the DW Light instead, or there is a new one just launched, called the Invisible Fluid Makeup I think. It's really watery and feels light, (however light coverage) and should be better for oily skin.

As for breakouts and also the oxidation problem, ALWAYS get samples before purchasing foundations. Everyone should do this. The only excuse for an SA to not get you one is that they ran out of bottles to keep them in, and that rarely happens. Once you tried it over a few days you would be able to tell better if its good for your skin and the shade and coverage you want.

Posted

Personally I stay away from liquid foundation as they clog my pores. I really like Benefit that gal as my primer + Urban Decays mineral powder. It gives good coverage, and it doesn't make me break out :)

Posted

I have really oily skin that's acne prone with a lot of hyperpigmentation.  I've been using Revlon Colorstay Foundation (around $15 + tax CAD at Walmart) when I had really bad acne all over my face and still use it now when my skin has gotten a lot clearer. I don't know if foundation can really help prevent acne, but I suggest having a really reliable skincare routine. 

The foundation on its own has pretty good coverage but some hyperpigmentation still shows through so I use Hard Candy's Glamoflauge concealer ($6 CAD) - this makes my skin look flawless. I highly recommend you set your foundation+concealer with a face powder because the concealer does slide around easily. In terms of oiliness, I have to blot my skin 2-3hrs after application because my skin is so oily. However, with a primer, I don't have to powder my face until the 4-5 hour mark. In terms of lasting ability, the foundation does stay on all day, but with the blotting and powdering, the product does come off and discolouration does show through. If you want your foundation and concealer to stay on all day and have the ca$h to spend, I'd recommend using a setting spray like Urban Decay's All-nighter spray (~$35). 

If you can help it,  just use a face powder to prevent oiliness, maybe a little concealer, and let your skin breathe. I've had pretty bad acne for almost a decade now so I know how self-conscious you can feel. Just make sure to wash your makeup off every night! 

Posted

I have the same skin problem as you and find it difficult to keep my face shine-free all day. I have had success using Physicians Formula Airbrushing pressed powder (has the coverage of a light foundation if you use a lot) and Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse, if I use a mattifying moisturizer and primer underneath. I use Clean & Clear Finishes mattifying moisturizer, which is discontinued, but their Finishes Pore Perfecting moisturizer is similar. I also use Avon MagiX primer.

today I wore my Tarte tinted moisturizer, which is supposed to be good for a dewy look even for oily skin, but I find that you need to touch up with powder during the day or else it won't really stay on. I find that BB cream has a similar feel and consistency as tinted moisturizer, but is supposed to have additional skin benefits. I've used Missha Perfect Cover, which I find is good for oily skin, but the Skin79 Gold BB cream is too oily and slides off. there's also the hot pink label, which is supposed to be better but I haven't tried it yet.

also, if you want full coverage that absolutely won't come off until you (thoroughly) cleanse your face at night, I recommend Revlon Colorstay for combo/oily skin.

Posted

If you have acne, why not use BB creams? rolleyes.gif

Laneige is absolutely amazing for scars. 

I used to have bad acne as well, however when I used their product they did coverage as well as reducing my acne. 

Highly recommended. 

Another foundation that's well recommended would be Georgio Armani's Foundation. 

Does wonderful coverage! And you don't need too much of it! rolleyes.gif

Posted

MAC studio fix is brilliant....i used to use it when i had extremely oily and acne prone skin with a lot of redness.....it never broke me out and used to do a brilliant job controlling the oil and covering the redness...
now that my skin is alright, i continue using the same foundation.....it still suits my current skin type well....so this is a brilliant product to use....

Posted

Try Kms mineral makeup foundation. 
Its really good for sensitive skin especially when you have oily and acne skin.It has only five ingredients in them, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Mica, Iron Oxide and Kaolin ClayZinc Oxide helps with the skins healing and kaolin clay absorbs and oil.I have been using it for 2 months now, no breakouts at all :)
You can get the sample pots for 2 dollars each. The customer service is superb as well.