Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

IS it better to do something you like or something that benefits you in the future?

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Need Help?
I've been playing Viola for 3 years now. The only reason I started playing was to get into this Youth Symphony for college(they gives out scholarships). I have to go to practice every Saturday for 2hrs (plus an hr of ride up and down). I don't want to burden my dad with all the car rides. Also, my elective class for my school is all dedicated to Orchestra. Recently, I've been thinking, if I should quit to do something I like rather than for the sake of my future. I'm not even that good in Viola too. Also I still have 3 more years till college. What should I do?

Posted

Just think of this a little harder. Would you rather do something you hate for years and years, or had fun with what you do and enjoy it? Would you rather be happy or rich?

Posted

Well, that's hard. But If I were you, I would do something that I will enjoy. I mean, 3 years till collage! That's a lot of time for you to think about your future. There are still chances for you to take that will benefit you in the future. You'll never know if there's something out there that will benefit you and something that you will enjoy at the same time :) But that's just my opinion :D

Posted

I like to do things I enjoy. Though sadly, I tend to overindulge way too much for my own good.

Posted

why can't what you enjoy benefit you in the future too?

I was in roughly the same position as you freshman year in high school (and you sound like you're roughly that age too)

I started playing flute in fifth grade, and was 4rd best in the elementary school (including the people that started in 4th grade), played in a concert for the middle schoolers (though I don't remember why, only 3 people were chosen). i kinda liked flute, but in 7th grade i had to sit next to this really annoying guy. the teacher asked if i wanted to try the bassoon out (cos I was good at flute), and I took the chance to move away from the guy LOL

worst mistake of my life

not only was at BAD at it (idk how you can make a bassoon sound good, but i sounded like a dying cow. i guess average people would sound like a boat horn). I played up until freshman year of high school (3 years)

the only reason i continued was because i didn't ever think of switching out. (and middle school electives were limited, what else was i supposed to do?)

I had lessons every saturday (the teacher came to my house though), but the lessons were pricey. around $40/hour, for something i didn't even like

teachers kept pressuring me to do wind ensemble (WHY THOUGH I WAS SO BAD) and class was a painful struggle for me to hide so they won't make me play in front of the class, do marching band (nty too much dedication for me to put into something i don't like), come during my free periods, stay after school, come during homeroom ...

i quit. told them i had no interest in wind ensemble, would never do marching band, didn't like bassoon enough to come in my free time (not like that, but the idea that i'm cutting band out of my life)

and i'm so happy i made that choice.

because I quit, I explored other electives

I can bake, cook, fend for myself

i learned sociology, then got into art

I'm buddies with all the art teachers (they give me food and supplies when i go visit), got a fashioner designer as a sub teacher (for ~1 year), and she encouraged me to try jewelry design

which lead me to take precollege classes, make friends, find my passion, and will be (transferring into) FIT with jewelry design as my majour. something i'm good at, that i love to do, and will benefit my future.

all because i quit band

had i stayed in band, I would've hated all my high school classes, been stuck in the same bubble without knowing what i wanted to do with myself

i'm not saying you need to quit to explore other options, but if you put all your time on something you don't even like ...

will that scholarship money buy back the time you spent on something you don't like?

Posted

I'd do something I like because I know for sure if I work hard enough then I'm sure it'll benefit me in the future :)

Posted

Well, if you find yourself asking this now, it's probably time you try something new. Something you actually enjoy. :P And then you can weigh things out.

Posted

i want to let you know that you should also do something that will benefit you in the future, job wise. you can play your instrument on the side. if you don't like it enough to make it a lifelong career then you should find something that take the career part of your life.

honestly, sometimes not all 'likes' pay the bills. there are few people who are able to mesh enjoy their like/job as one.

there are many who has to work a job they dislike to pay their bills.

Life is really a path laid out in front of you. take the steps that matters the most to you so you don't have to look back.

Posted

Look for a new path. Honestly you really have to be passionate about the subject if its in the arts. Many arts jobs are low paying and you'll just burn out if you have no reason to do it.

If you're going to do a job you enjoy, choose one you absolutely love not one that's just hobby worthy. Like arts job if you're not passionate about it, it'll wear you down and the thing you used enjoy about it had just worn away and it'll be tiring.

ps. Even if you choose the job because you love it, it will still have it's bad parts that are not enjoyable

You may have to choose a job that will support you instead of making you happy. But in the end if you have enough money you can do what you enjoy in your spare time instead of scraping by.

Look at it this way (an example): You love doing weed but you know that smoking it will not pay the bills. You get a job at McDonalds at the grill. Now supposedly (if you work enough) you can pay your bills and do what you love doing.

Posted

I would rather do something I like because I don't care what benefits I get as long as I'm happy with what I am doing. On the other hand, my sister would rather do something that benefits her in the future plus she smart, but it's only because she hasn't found anything that has made her happy. My dad chose to do something that benefitted him in the future because of his parents but then he ended up feeling lonely and empty. But we all do agree that money is important, as long as I'm earning enough money to survive. happy.gif

Posted

It's better to do something that you like...

Ask yourself, will you be happy doing something you dislike?

Money is important but there's a limit to what money can do.

If you're finding yourself asking these questions at this moment, then it is time for a change.

There's a quote .. "Do things with a passion, or not at all"

Posted

Personally, I'd rather have a job that pays the bills rather than one I simply enjoy. Especially in a field like the arts, where for art schools the tuition is really high, and the competition is intense since there are so soooo many talented people out there... you have to be not only really passionate but really exceptional to do well/even get a job.

I wish I could be hopeful and say to just follow your heart and do what you love the most, but realistically, unless you become super amazing and passionate for viola in the next few years, I suggest you pursue a major that will at least result in a stable job and just play for a hobby.

But then again, don't go into something you hate either lol